Offensive differences so far this pre-season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
So, it does seem that we will be operating somewhat differently than last year under Schotty.

1) A big emphasis on the screen game. We started to see it some in the second half last year which makes me think that it had to do with input by Cig or other offensive coordinators. Much of the screen game revolves around bubble screens and play-action screens.

2) Tavon on the outside. We didn't see him much, if at all, on the outside last year. The jury's still out but I think we'll be able to see more utility out of him on streaks and come-backs (if he hadn't of pushed off on that one play, he would have run a damn good come-back route earlier in the preseason).

3) More run heavy formations. We saw this two years ago before and much more after Bradford went down. It doesn't look like we've necessarily used unbalanced lines but it looks like we will use more single WR, multi-TE formations outside of the red-zone.

4) Someone help me on this one but it does seem that we have more backs leaving on pass-routes than staying in to block than last year. Additionally, it doesn't seem like we will be using as much two-back shotgun backfields as we did last season, probably too small a sample size to really know this.

5) Zone-blocking. I think we rarely zone-blocked last year if at all. Lots of zone-blocking this year. Seems integral to the play-action and screen game. I'm guessing we're 60-40 power blocking vs zone blocking now where we were maybe 90-10 last year. Need help from others to certify this. I think there seems to be more zone-blocking too on short yardage but need to check it. Could be really helpful as Schotty used to run really slow-developing pulls near the goal-line sometimes.

5) The Jet sweep has been conspicuously missing. I doubt it's gone from the playbook, I just don't think they gain anything from running it in the preseason.

Last edited:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think the screen game is a HUGE positive this year. It will keep the defense honest and off the LOS more often. Or if we call them and execute at the right times we could see some huge gains.

The zone blocking piece I think we still struggle with a bit. I haven't seen us do it a ton although I haven't watched the blocking on every snap. I think it can work well when executed properly. Last night KC did it a few times for huge gains. We are still struggling to open up running lanes. Hopefully that changes with time. Although I can't wait to see it with our entire starting OL and Gurley for an entire game. Once we get all of our pieces going we could be really good.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is we only saw a small sample size of Cignetti's offense in the preseason. Once we get to the games that count I think you'll see it opened up a lot more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Screens take a bunch of timing...so I'm glad to see us run them...It takes awhile...Cig has done great. Now we need Boo to hold up his end of the bargain....

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The OL has been slowly improving game by game. They had their best game by far (starters, 1st half), without Brown and Saffold. who by the way, has only played 4 snaps. The OL I saw in the 1st half against KC was better than anything the Rams put on the field last year. They will get better, the screen game will get better and the run game too. the OL just needs time to settle in. It all depends on them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  1. Screens has been much better not the only the excision, but the set up of the play itself.
  2. Less predictability, IMO, Schotty seemed to go to the well too often Cig so far has changed it up nice.
  3. Zone blocking is struggling losing the one on ones and not sealing the edge last year the Rams did a better job of sealing the edge.
  4. I'm more impressed with the deep pass, but it's other a bomb or a 5 yard out or slant no intermediate passes whatsoever which has me concerned.
Overall the Rams have scored 3, 14, 14 & 17 points and have zero wins to show thus far and again I know it's preseason, but I expected the Rams to be a tad further along at this point, but that's just me.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think we all have to keep in mind they said they weren't showing anything in the pre-season. Here's hoping they show quite a bit of new stuff in week 1.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Forgot to mention:

Introduction of the Pistol formation. Don't think we saw that at all last year.