Odell Beckham available for trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
For the most part, I've kept quiet about this who!e OBJ trade possibility. Most of the time I've seen good informative post, except for when I see the manipulation of facts to an extreme in order to help verify an opinion, as if it was a fact when it's not; it's just an opinion. Or when someone is so sure that their opinion is a fact, that they then belittle those who have a different opinion. That is why I've stayed out of this as long as I have. But now that its calmed down some I, with my limited understanding shall speak my peace.

My opinion, and only my opinion is as follows. I look at it this way. Would I draft a first round pick knowing the person I picked was likely only going to be here for one year? No! And yet that would be essentially what we'd be doing if we traded our pick for OBJ, and that's not even counting what else we would end up trading for Odell. If we don't trade for OBJ have faith my dear brothers, McVay and Snead will find someone who can adequately fill Sammy's shoes. Also our offense nor our special teams was our weakness, that was our defense, and that has been taking care of, minus some slight tinkering

Now I've read, 'Well it's our chance to make a run for the Super Bowl.' But after we got Peters, Talib, and Suh, weren't we already saying that? Plus how can we be sure Odell is truly reliable enough to get us to get us to the Super Bowl? None of us are experts in understanding the mind of Odell; if that's even possib!e.

Now I've seen how some of you think that signing Odell to a long term contract would be a good idea. I don't agree, as having Donald, Gurley, Goff, Joyner, Peters, and Maybe Suh signed to big extensions will already be taxing the team to its limits, as they also want the team to be consistently good. Too many high paid athletes will ruin the depth and chemistry of a team. Again this is only my opinion!

Now feel free to murder me with your opinions.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the most part, I've kept quiet about this who!e OBJ trade possibility. Most of the time I've seen good informative post, except for when I see the manipulation of facts to an extreme in order to help verify an opinion, as if it was a fact when it's not; it's just an opinion. Or when someone is so sure that their opinion is a fact, that they then belittle those who have a different opinion. That is why I've stayed out of this as long as I have. But now that its calmed down some I, with my limited understanding shall speak my peace.

My opinion, and only my opinion is as follows. I look at it this way. Would I draft a first round pick knowing the person I picked was likely only going to be here for one year? No! And yet that would be essentially what we'd be doing if we traded our pick for OBJ, and that's not even counting what else we would end up trading for Odell. If we don't trade for OBJ have faith my dear brothers, McVay and Snead will find someone who can adequately fill Sammy's shoes. Also our offense nor our special teams was our weakness, that was our defense, and that has been taking care of, minus some slight tinkering

Now I've read, 'Well it's our chance to make a run for the Super Bowl.' But after we got Peters, Talib, and Suh, weren't we already saying that? Plus how can we be sure Odell is truly reliable enough to get us to get us to the Super Bowl? None of us are experts in understanding the mind of Odell; if that's even possib!e.

Now I've seen how some of you think that signing Odell to a long term contract would be a good idea. I don't agree, as having Donald, Gurley, Goff, Joyner, Peters, and Maybe Suh signed to big extensions will already be taxing the team to its limits, as they also want the team to be consistently good. Too many high paid athletes will ruin the depth and chemistry of a team. Again this is only my opinion!

About the same feelings I had about Watkins. Either he was going to walk away after one year or we would have way over pay him to keep him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
AW, why’d my gif get deleted???

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

View: https://youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g?t=7s

(actually, you make good points and I won't lose any sleep if we don't trade for OBJ)

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Appearing on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast, ESPN's Adam Schefter said he believes the Odell Beckham trade talk to be "very real, absolutely real."
Continuing, Schefter said his "personal guess" is Beckham gets traded based on information he's received and reading between the lines, with this month's draft being the "artificial deadline." Any team trading for Beckham is going to not only have to give up high-end draft picks, but they will also have to compensate Beckham on a long-term deal at what will likely be $17-19 million per year. The draft kicks off in 25 days, so buckle in for more of this story in the coming weeks. Apr 2 - 9:55 PM

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Appearing on the Ross Tucker Football Podcast, ESPN's Adam Schefter said he believes the Odell Beckham trade talk to be "very real, absolutely real."
Continuing, Schefter said his "personal guess" is Beckham gets traded based on information he's received and reading between the lines, with this month's draft being the "artificial deadline." Any team trading for Beckham is going to not only have to give up high-end draft picks, but they will also have to compensate Beckham on a long-term deal at what will likely be $17-19 million per year. The draft kicks off in 25 days, so buckle in for more of this story in the coming weeks. Apr 2 - 9:55 PM
And to that I bid you adieu.

Ram65

Legend
Read another report that the Giants will back off if their price the closer they get to the draft. 25 more freaking days

That sounds right to me. Seems they don't have a choice. Can't see anyone giving 2 round 1 picks and paying 18 million for OBJ. Can't see him playing for the Giants. I don't know how the Rams can sign him long term this year. Yup 25 freaking more days till draft day!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Read another report that the Giants will back off if their price the closer they get to the draft. 25 more freaking days
And if that be may I stubbornly welcome him somewhat whole heartedly if need be.

Egads I'm wishy washy. I was also that way in getting married.

dang

Legend
So - assuming OBJ will get somewhere close to $18M this year or he wont play. The NYG only have $6M in cap space this year and $27M in cap space next year. I find it highly unlikely they can pay him $18M/yr - even if they wanted to. OBJ carries an $8.5M Dead Cap Hit for 2018. I believe the NYG are required to pay this to OBJ no matter if they trade/cut/keep him. If that is correct could a team get him in a trade for 3 Years by guaranteeing another $9.5M for 2018, $18M for 2019, $18M for 2019 (average of @15M/yr)?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So - assuming OBJ will get somewhere close to $18M this year or he wont play. The NYG only have $6M in cap space this year and $27M in cap space next year. I find it highly unlikely they can pay him $18M/yr - even if they wanted to. OBJ carries an $8.5M Dead Cap Hit for 2018. I believe the NYG are required to pay this to OBJ no matter if they trade/cut/keep him. If that is correct could a team get him in a trade for 3 Years by guaranteeing another $9.5M for 2018, $18M for 2019, $18M for 2019 (average of @15M/yr)?

i don't think so man. that $8.5m comes with obj. the giants haven't paid him a cent for this season yet. that salary is guaranteed for injury only once the season starts.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sounds right to me. Seems they don't have a choice. Can't see anyone giving 2 round 1 picks and paying 18 million for OBJ. Can't see him playing for the Giants. I don't know how the Rams can sign him long term this year. Yup 25 freaking more days till draft day!
Unless another team falls in love tester quickly then I'm beginning to think that this is another Peters situation, where we're just waiting for the other team to come to their senses

Ram65

Legend
Unless another team falls in love tester quickly then I'm beginning to think that this is another Peters situation, where we're just waiting for the other team to come to their senses

I don't know what other teams are interested other than IIRC the Whiners name came up. In the end it will be interesting to see what the market was for OBJ and what teams were really interested. I don't think two first round picks or player and first rounder is realistic.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know what other teams are interested other than IIRC the Whiners name came up. In the end it will be interesting to see what the market was for OBJ and what teams were really interested. I don't think two first round picks or player and first rounder is realistic.
Me either .I think a 1 and a 3, possibly bumps down to a 4 if they wait too long

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/03/odell-beckham-ndamukong-suh-nfl-owners-meeting

How Beckham Jr.’s Situation Will Likely Play Out, Suh and Bradford Win Business of Football
By ANDREW BRANDT

ODELL: OH WELL
My reaction to the offseason drama series “Will he stay or will he go?” featuring Odell Beckham Jr.? Yawn. Wake me up in August if Beckham is still saying he won’t “set foot on the field” for the Giants then. The NFL has the longest offseason in all of major sports. Tough talk by players and agents in March rarely, if ever, has the same vigor in July and August. Wasn’t Le’Veon Bell not going to play under his franchise tag contract last year (or is it this year)? Good luck with that.

Stories like Beckham’s usually play out predictably. Players will, directly or through media sources, threaten varying levels of disobedience to their teams, whether by missing offseason workouts, minicamps or, in extreme cases, training camp. The intent of such threats—this is Agent Playbook 101—is to create enough angst among the front office and/or coaching staff that the team reacts with contract negotiations or a trade.

And occasionally, teams panic and succumb to the players’ requests. However, in the vast majority of cases—and there are more of these cases than the media knows —the player returns to his existing team and contract as if nothing ever happened.

Could Beckham be traded? Sure, there is a chance; there are only a handful of NFL players who are truly untouchable, and I don’t think any wide receiver qualifies. And when Giants ownership left the door open that no one is untouchable, the Beckham trade story, having no real basis in fact, was off and running.

So yes, if a team were to blow the Giants away with a stupid trade offer, Beckham could be had (assuming the new team is also prepared to give him a mega-contract). But beyond the is there a chance? hypothetical, my strong sense is this story will die a slow death and Beckham will be back with the Giants playing on his existing contract. Yawn.

PRICEY PARALLELS BETWEEN SUH AND BRADFORD
Due in part to his good timing and in part to strategically leveraging free agency, Ndamokung Suh has won the business of football with now three teams. After record-setting contracts with the Lions and Dolphins (where he wrangled the highest NFL contract ever given to a non-quarterback), Suh now signs a one-year, $14 million contract with the Rams.

The career and earnings path of Suh and a player that started his career with the Rams, Sam Bradford, are eerily similar. There were the first and second picks in 2010 draft (the last year of “bonus baby” contracts before the new CBA). They both went to college in the Big 12; they were 2010 Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Year. And their career earnings after 2018 will be shockingly similar, with Suh close to $140 million and Bradford close to $135 million.

As to on the field, Bradford has been injury-ridden yet somehow continues to “win” contractually. As to Suh, his honor roll includes five Pro Bowls, three first-team All-NFL selections and two second-team All-NFL selections.

Suh and Bradford are surefire first-ballot Hall of Famers in the Business of Football.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm honestly hoping that I hear that OBJ is traded to an AFC team soon. As much as I love his talent, his price tag and his attitude make me not want us to trade for him. We simply do not have the $$ to pay him unless we drastically change our future plans and future contracts. I'm not willing to do that for a fairly oft injured diva WR. As great as he actually is.