Oculus set to provide groundbreaking in-stadium amenity for fans at SoFi Stadium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oculus set to provide groundbreaking in-stadium amenity for fans at SoFi Stadium

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – A defining feature of SoFi Stadium, the double-sided Oculus video board will usher in a new amenity in fan experience when it rises toward the venue's transparent roof.

According to Skarpi Hedinsson, SoFi Stadium and Hollywood Park's Chief Technology Officer, it will house the first ever 4k HDR video system in a stadium.

"This is a big breakthrough," Hedinsson said during a media event held at the stadium on Jan. 22.

It's also a necessary breakthrough, too.

Rams Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff spoke previously about tailoring everything filling the nearly 300-acre campus to what he called the experiential economy, and there is perhaps no better way to draw fans to the stadium than a 120-yard-long video board.

The only two-sided oval center-hung video board in an NFL stadium, the Oculus is the only 4k end-to-end video production in sports. It also has the largest LED content playback system ever deployed. Every face/display can be uniquely programmed with live content, statistics or animated content. The idea of having a dual-sided display is that no matter where a fan sits in the stadium, they will have a video surface in front of them.

Hedinsson said they expect between 80 and 85 professionals creating content for the Oculus, and that undertaking itself will be different from any other professional sports team.

The Falcons have a halo-shaped video board inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium, but it only displays content on the interior of the structure.

"Nobody has ever created content for a double-circular board like this," Hedinsson said. "So the team has been in the lab for a long time, using our VR technology to understand how best to present content and how do we make sure that all the seating sections are in play as we put our images and our replay frames on the board."

Hedinsson and his team meet weekly with members of the Rams' creative team as part of developing that strategy. They'll have plenty of technology to work with along the way.

The screens collectively have 80 million pixels, and behind them sits more than 260 speakers which handle all of the audio for the entire stadium. Additionally, the structure will house 56 5G antennas.

All told, the content displayed on both sides of the Oculus aims to be better that what fans would see compared to watching the broadcast at home.

"We're trying to create a better guest experience, a better fan experience," Hedinsson said. "How do we create content? How do we give our guests the best possible show when they come to Hollywood Park? And I think that was the primary driver. But I think having a center home board, it opens up a lot of other possibilities in the building."

The Oculus currently weighs approximately one million pounds. Upon completion, it will reach 2.2 million pounds or 1,000 metric tons.

Thanks to the 43 trucks which shipped the display to the stadium, soon it will all come together to provide a groundbreaking video experience for fans.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the virtual drawings make the oculus much more intrusive for the nosebleed seats than the virtual video of it. i wonder which one it will be.

it's nice and all but the last thing you want to do is go to the ground and look exclusively at the video screen. and if it's right in your face your eyes will be drawn to it with all the movement. hopefully they don't use it extensively for ads.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
P)layers will like it. They'll be craning their necks to see the replay.
For that aspect yes. BUT... I think there might be a huge distraction principle for Receivers/KR/PR's looking up into an active moving screen as they're trying to find the ball. We shall see!

Tano

Legend
For that aspect yes. BUT... I think there might be a huge distraction principle for Receivers/KR/PR's looking up into an active moving screen as they're trying to find the ball. We shall see!
I doubt it. Only the really long throws may get impacted since the QB usually throws it a little higher on those throws. Need to see it in person though to really get a good perspective on it.

However, being in WV, I won't be able to see it until 2021 at the earliest. This year is a no go.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan

Maybe this becomes a home advantage for the receivers who become accustomed to using the extra info? Curious...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sounds exciting! I'd love to go to a game at So-Fi.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Groundbreaking in-stadium amenity huh? I’ll just be glad when the Oculus breaks ground and rises in stadium settling or raising our concerns.