Oct 30 Rams Practice Report: Playing Within the Division

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Practice Report 10/30: Playing Within the Division
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1030-Playing-Within-the-Division/50ae01c7-08f9-48ef-9bd4-8ac76093e3bb

So far in 2015, the Rams have done a nice job of competing within the NFC West. They have won both of their divisional matchups -- Week 1 against Seattle and Week 4 at Arizona -- playing well in all three phases.

Sunday’s contest will bring in the third team, San Francisco, into the Edward Jones Dome. And even though the 49ers have a new coaching staff, the Rams still have a good amount of familiarity with them. That’s especially because the players and the systems they’re running haven’t changed too much.

“You know the personnel well, you know the scheme well,” linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “So a lot of times, you’re not getting surprised by anything.”

“You know San Fran is going to get in a certain formation and run power,” Laurinaitis continued. “You know they’re going to do it, and they say, ‘OK, try to stop it.’ And it’s just man-on-man kind of stuff. You have to win your individual matchup.”

That’s part of why the team has such respect for the 49ers. With all the knowledge each team has of one another, a game can swing either way.

“This is a division game,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “They know us, we know them. We always play in a dog fight and always play hard. Believe me, our guys have been very respectful in all the meetings and all the practices this week because they know how good that team is.”

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

Punter Johnny Hekker received some national recognition on Thursday when he was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Month. Hekker averaged 48.3 yards on his 16 punts in October, including three punts inside the 20-yard line against the Browns on Sunday. He also had punts of 56 and 57 yards over the course of the month.

“It's a huge honor to be recognized for an entire month of production,” Hekker said Friday. “Frankly, I wasn't super astonished with the way I played. I have to chalk it up to my teammates -- just the way they were able to keep me comfortable out there. It's easy to sit back there, relax and punt the ball when everyone is doing their job very, very well. Our punt team is protecting really well.”

Hekker is only the second punter in franchise history to receive the honor.

“The recognition is great to have, but more so than personally, I think it speaks to how my teammates have been preparing this last month,” Hekker said.

FROM THE OTHER SIDE

It’s easy to see why anyone would be impressed with the way running back Todd Gurley has played. There’s clearly a reason he was named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month.

But while everyone notices what Gurley does on Sundays, Williams said his demeanor behind the scenes is even more impressive.

“He brings a big smile to my face, yes he does,” Williams said. “Leadership has no age. You can be a leader at any age of your life. But you better [set] a good example, and you better go about doing things the right way. And behind the scenes, he does things the right way, too.”

The defensive coordinator said Gurley’s humility was easy to notice from the day he entered the building. And that’s part of why the running back has so quickly earned the respect of his teammates and coaches.

“Everybody likes him when he’s out there and you can see him doing those things -- I like him behind the scenes, too,” Williams said. “He’s a good young man.”

BIG PLAY HAYES

Defensive end Will Hayes spent time filling in for an injured Chris Long last year, and did well in the role. Now he’s doing the same for a few weeks while Long deals with a knee injury, and Williams has been impressed with the returns. Hayes had two sack/fumbles on Browns quarterback Josh McCown in last week’s victory.

“He’s super important,” Williams said. “He’s a tough player when he plays. It was fun to see him rise up and take ownership of that position, because no longer was he rotating with Chris Long. He had to get ready to rise.

“And he did a great job last year,” Williams added. “He was our production leader last year for the entire season. He won that award. So, it’s always fun to see him do that.”

Behind the scenes, Williams says Hayes is one of the best players to help boost morale. And that’s part of what makes him such a key contributor to the defense.

“He’s constantly keeping things stirred up,” Williams said. “He does do a great job in the training room, in the classroom, all those things.”

A LITTLE COMPETITION

Finally, the Rams ended practice Friday as they do every week with some competition between the first groups on offense and defense. The team runs three plays inside the 5-yard line and the objectives for both units is clear on each play. For defense, prevent a touchdown. For offense, get one.

On this Friday, though, there was a bit of a dispute as to who won.

“It was 2-1, defense,” Williams said -- saying one catch was out of bounds, and there was holding on another. “I’ll give them the third one.”

“The offense won 3-0,” head coach Jeff Fisher said, adding he gets the final vote on that. “But I’m not fudging at all. They got in three times.”

“They got beat last week, too, so that’s a good sign,” Fisher added.

As Williams put it, it’s a good way to finish the week with high spirits.

“The fun part about it, you see their interest and their ‘swag’ pick up just competing -- just competing and having fun,” Williams said. “And the camaraderie back and forth on offense and defense -- it’ll still be going on in the locker room.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' Robert Quinn, T.J. McDonald questionable for Sunday
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rt-quinn-t-j-mcdonald-questionable-for-sunday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have four key players listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers.

Defensive ends Robert Quinn (knee) and William Hayes (thigh), safety T.J. McDonald (shoulder) and running back Tre Mason (ankle) head toward the game with the 50/50 designation. But Quinn, Hayes and McDonald were all full participants, which could bode well for their chances of playing against San Francisco.

The Rams also ruled defensive end Chris Long out for Sunday because of a knee injury. He's still expected to be a few weeks away. If Hayes is ready to go, he will again step in for Long.

As expected, linebacker James Laurinaitis is probable to play as he deals with an elbow injury. He's likely good to go, but don't be surprised if he has a J.J. Watt-like brace on his arm.

Here's the full roundup of the Rams' Friday injury report:

Out: DE Chris Long (knee)

Questionable: DE Robert Quinn (knee), DE William Hayes (thigh), S T.J. McDonald (shoulder), RB Tre Mason (ankle)

Probable: DT Nick Fairley (illness), TE Lance Kendricks (thumb), LB James Laurinaitis (elbow)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams notebook: San Francisco's Hyde ruled out of Sunday's game
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0a321b56-48d9-5e1e-8128-7d3018de9d95.html

The San Francisco 49ers will be without leading rusher Carlos Hyde on Sunday when they take on the Rams in a noon game at the Edward Jones Dome.

Hyde, a second-year back out of Ohio State, is ninth in the league with 470 rushing yards and has been ruled out of the NFC West game with a stress fracture in his left foot.

With Hyde out, San Francisco will look to veteran Reggie Bush (eight carries, 28 yards), who has been slowed with a calf injury, and rookies Mike Davis (15 carries, 20 yards) and Jarryd Hayne (eight carries, 25 yards). Hayne, an Australian rugby star, has been used mainly as a punt returner.

The 49ers could also be without their top receiver, Anquan Boldin. The veteran missed practice Friday after suffering a hamstring injury on Thursday and is listed questionable for Sunday. Boldin has 31 catches for 372 yards and a pair of touchdowns this season.

The other injured players in San Francisco — LBs NaVorro Bowman (shoulder) and Ahmad Brooks (shoulder), G Alex Boone (shoulder, knee), T Joe Staley (shoulder), S Eric Reid (chest) and DT Tony Jerod-Eddie (not injury-related) — went through full workouts Friday and are listed probable.

Defensive end Chris Long (knee) is the only Rams player ruled out for Sunday. The team’s other seven players on the injury report went through full workouts Friday at Rams Park.

Defensive ends Robert Quinn (knee) and William Hayes (thigh) are listed questionable, as are running back Tre Mason (ankle) and safety T.J. McDonald (shoulder). Questionable generally means the player has a 50-50 shot at playing Sunday.

Rams listed as probable are middle linebacker James Laurinaitis (elbow), tight end Lance Kendricks (thumb) and defensive tackle Nick Fairley (illness).

LOCAL TIES

With Colin Kaepernick struggling — the fifth-year QB is ranked 24th in the league with a completion percentage of 61.4 percent and a passer rating of just 82.8 — there’s been some talk in San Francisco about making a change to give the team a different look.

The back-up is former Parkway West and Mizzou standout Blaine Gabbert. Selected with the 10th pick in the 2011 draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars, Gabbert was acquired by the 49ers in exchange for a sixth-round draft pick on March 11, 2014. The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Gabbert has yet to see action this season but did enjoy some success in the preseason, completing 23 of 28 (82.1 percent) of his passes for 203 yards with a touchdown.

Kaepernick, it turns out, was also drafted in 2011; he was the 49ers’ second-round pick at No. 36 overall.

While first-year head coach Jim Tomsula remains firm in his support of the hard-working and talented Kaepernick as his starting quarterback, the 49ers’ longtime defensive line coach is also a fan of Gabbert.

“You know what, I like Blaine Gabbert,’’ the coach said. “I just think Blaine’s a solid individual and I think he’s a talented player.’’

From there, the coach’s teleconference call with St. Louis reporters took a bit of an unexpected turn as Tomsula mentioned his own ties to St. Louis.

“Heck, guys, I got married in St. Louis, so we know about the kind of people that are from that area,’’ he continued. “I got married over there at Little Flower (Catholic church in Richmond Heights) on the Fourth of July, so I’ve spent a lot of time there. I love the St. Louis Zoo (and) Protzel’s Deli (in Clayton). That town is a great town.’’

THE NEW GUYS

The Rams filled a pair of openings on the practice squad by signing defensive end Gerald Rivers and defensive end and linebacker Zack Hodges.

It’s Rivers’ second stint with the Rams. The University of Mississippi product was signed as a undrafted free agent in 2013 and played in two games and made one tackle.

He was claimed off waivers late that season by Jacksonville and has also spent time with Miami, Denver and the New York Giants.

“Glad to be back. Feels like I’ve come home,’’ the 25-year-old said. “I got the call on Monday, hopped on a flight, came in for the workout and signed. It’s kind of like a family reunion, seeing the guys again. I’ve been around a little bit, but I’ve never felt as comfortable as I feel here.’’

Rivers was released from the Giants’ practice squad in mid-September.

“Just working out and trying to stay as ready as possible, hoping for another chance,’’ he said. “And now that I’m back with the Rams, it just feels right.’’

Hodges, a two-time Ivy League player of the year from Harvard, was in camp with the Indianapolis Colts.

“I was training, trying to keep my mind sharp,’’ the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Hodges said. “I remember playing here in the preseason, seemed like a great city. This is a great opportunity; now I just have to go out, show the coaches what I can do and try to make the most of it.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Early this week, Rams coach Jeff Fisher was asked about his confidence in kicker Greg Zuerlein, who enters Sunday’s action having converted just one of his last five field goal attempts. To be fair, one of the kicks was blocked and three of the others were from 53, 63 and 63 yards.

“No concerns. He’s hitting it really well,’’ the coach said. “He just needs to hit it between those two yellow poles. I didn’t like the (35-yard miss), but I have total confidence in Greg. He’s hitting it as well as he’s hit it since he’s been here.

“With the new rules, every kick is a field goal, so there’s more pressure on every single kick. That’s just my observation.’’

• The Rams’ Nick Fairley was fined $17,363 for a roughing-the-passer call in the fourth quarter against Cleveland’s Josh McCown.

• Cut earlier in the week by the Rams, linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar has signed with New Orleans. Dunbar, 30, was signed by the Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2008 and played there through 2011.

• The Lincoln University football team coached by ex-Rams LB Mike Jones held a walk-through Friday afternoon at Rams Park. The Blue Tigers play Saturday at McKendree.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Questionable: DE Robert Quinn (knee), DE William Hayes (thigh), S T.J. McDonald (shoulder), RB Tre Mason (ankle)
I don't believe this for one minute!! I say ....

PigFeathers Logo Right.jpg

...You can bet the Farm these guys aren't going to miss this game, It's too important!!