OC Frank Cignetti

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I've never been a Schotty fan. He's a nibbler. He never tries to establish a identity for his team. He picks at a scab but never would go for the kill.

But I don't care which OC on whatever team. If they play as many games as the Rams have with out the starting QB, with as big of a talent drop off to the backups coupled with the O line woes it's going to be a dumpster fire.
Why's the dumpster on fire?
Cause half the play book is in it and someone threw a match, so the season could at least have a Viking funeral.

I don't accept excuses, but at least he didn't pull a McDaniels and keep running his system regardless.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'll let you know at the end of the season what I think - I'm currently unsure about how its all going to go... I would have liked to have fresh blood injected into the coaching staff (at OC) but hey Cignetti is our guy and I'm behind him 100% - I'm leaving the rest up to Cignetti and the team. I hope they hit regular season hungry for the win.

EDIT: I guess one of the things he has in his favour though is the "unknown" element, HCs and DCs knew where Schotty was coming from and could easily defend his playacting - the Rams have a new O-line, QB and OC and that makes a new beast to try and play against - I'm hoping that this goes in our favour at the start of the season and we surprise a few of those early teams with big wins and our young team ride the crest of the momentum wave...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'll let you know at the end of the season what I think - I'm currently unsure about how its all going to go... I would have liked to have fresh blood injected into the coaching staff (at OC) but hey Cignetti is our guy and I'm behind him 100% - I'm leaving the rest up to Cignetti and the team. I hope they hit regular season hungry for the win.

EDIT: I guess one of the things he has in his favour though is the "unknown" element, HCs and DCs knew where Schotty was coming from and could easily defend his playacting - the Rams have a new O-line, QB and OC and that makes a new beast to try and play against - I'm hoping that this goes in our favour at the start of the season and we surprise a few of those early teams with big wins and our young team ride the crest of the momentum wave...
That's exactly my thoughts as well. I think we'll be able to surprise some people this year and then once our O line gets some experience then we'll be able to beat them by lining up and punching 'em in the mouth. This could be a fun year. By the end of the year, I think our offense will be average to above average which is all we'll need with our top 3 defense this year. Playoffs baby! Playoffs! It's happening.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Cignetti being OC is akin to the DC situation in 2012.
Fisher was the defacto DC then and is the defacto OC now.
For better or worse we're going to see his offense.
As for Shotty, I do believe there is a bright offensive mind in there, he showed he could manufacture an offense with 3rd string QB, backup rb and a plethora of mid WR. His Q1 success can't be denied however his Q3 failures can't be ignored either. I've felt that the criticism in St Louis was eerily similar to NY. Seemed to go away from what was working and always seemed to manage the offense in a way where he was constantly trying to outsmart everyone instead of just sticking with what was working
In any event, I just can't wait to start talking REAL football in a few days, this off season seemed particularly torturous!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know how good, or bad, Cignetti will be. But like Den said, he's not Brian Schottenheimer. Thats one in his favor.

My biggest gripe with Schotty was his 2nd half adjustments. If they played well in the first half and the defense adjusted at halftime, he as terrible with his own adjustments.

My next biggest gripe was his inability to figure out how to get Tavon Austin the ball in space. He can be an exciting and explosive player, yet his stats make him look like a possession receiver who doesn't catch the ball much. How much of that is Tavon I don't know. Which is why its my second biggest gripe.

I agree with the first part. Schotty wasn't so good at adjusting to defensive adjustments. He was very good at scripted plays.

But Tavon? really, how many great players need coaches to come up with special plays to make them successful? Tavon was a great college player and a sub par pro. It was predictable. If he needs some crazy play to take advantage of his speed and it works.........then was it him or the play that got it done?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There have been endless Schotty debates on multiple boards, that's for sure.

There's an old proverb, "Success has a thousand fathers, but failure is but an orphan".

I think this applies to Schotty. He's a career bottom third OC over the course of 9 years. Two different teams, two different HC's. That's a pretty big sampling, don't you think?

Bottom third speaks for itself. That kinda makes him an orphan.

As to Cigs, I'm very encouraged by what feedback has been reported. I don't recall such enthusiasm by O players under Schotty. But who knows?

I'll say this. Schotty didn't set the bar very high. It won't take much for Cigs to improve on those results.

And it would appear that Cigs has a better QB, RB, and an improved OL to work with than Schotty had. So there is that, too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe "Cigs" will have the luxury of having a healthy QB and OL vs. backups and 3rd stringers?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I feel sorry for Bulldogs fans in the second half this next season! Saban is going to school his ass!

This is what Brian Schottenheimer will accomplish in Athens:

• The termination of Head Coach Mark Richt

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher was the defacto DC then and is the defacto OC now.
For better or worse we're going to see his offense.
IF this is true (and I have at least suspected it since Fisher took the reigns), we'll know very soon.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
brian-schottenheimer-spring-practice-john-kelley-uga.jpg

"OK Guys, see my hand? That's you. You are going to run straight up the middle. That's the game plan. Got it?"

MrMotes

Starter
think this applies to Schotty. He's a career bottom third OC over the course of 9 years. Two different teams, two different HC's. That's a pretty big sampling, don't you think?

Yes it is.

I've always thought of BS as somewhere between below average and terrible. He did have the handicap of doing most of his coordinating under two of the most defensive minded coaches in the NFL.

I'm not sure i hold out a lot of hope for Cigs but i sure am glad BS is gone...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know Cigs doesn't have any experience as an NFL OC. But he has been a coordinator for several college teams. Teams who had success offensively. Fresno State was a very high scoring offense. I know they didn't play in one of the big conferences, but they did have some impressive bowl wins during that time.

When you consider what he's done at the college level, he's not a newbie as an OC. But with all that said, my guess is he'll be an extension of Jeff Fisher when it comes to calling plays. He'll call the plays but Fisher will be telling him what he wants or doesn't want. He just won't be calling specific plays.