Observations from Rams' fifth OTA/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Observations from Rams' fifth OTA
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9155/observation-from-rams-fifth-ota

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams got back to work Tuesday afternoon with their third practice session open to the media.

As always, it should be noted that much of what happens in these organized team activities should be taken with a grain of salt (especially for the linemen). The players are not in pads and contact must be extremely limited. It's best not to get too excited or too down on anything that happens.

Away we go...

Young QBs get work: Starting quarterback Sam Bradford did not participate in Tuesday's practice, and the Rams also appeared to give veteran Shaun Hill a little bit of a break as well. That meant plenty of reps to go around for Austin Davis and rookie Garrett Gilbert. Both even got some work in with the first team.

Jake Long
Jake Long participates in the Rams' organized team activity on June 5 at the team's facility.
The competition for a possible third quarterback job is one that will crystallize in training camp, but in the meantime any reps are good reps for the youngsters, especially Gilbert. There wasn't much noteworthy to come from the practice for either player, though Gilbert had a couple of nice moments, including one where he stood tall in the pocket and delivered a strike to tight end Lance Kendricks about 15 yards downfield.

If nothing else, Gilbert seems to have pretty good command of the huddle for a rookie just starting to get his feet wet. Realistically, he has to be the early favorite to win the third quarterback job if the team chooses to keep that many.

Long doing work: On Monday, I wrote about the team's confidence in the pending return of left tackle Jake Long. To that point, most of what we've seen in the early OTAs wouldn't lead one to believe Long was either ahead or behind schedule. But watching Long do some individual work with team athletic trainer James Lomax was the most encouraging thing I've seen him do since the surgery.

Long did a little running and was impressive moving laterally during some rehab drills. In his first media session since the surgery, he made it clear he shares the Rams' sentiment that he'll be ready to go for the regular season.

"That's the goal," Long said. "That's what we've talked about ever since I had the surgery."

For what it's worth, it was Sean Hooey's turn to take the reps at left tackle with the first team Tuesday. He and Mike Person have been rotating at that spot.

Sitting it out: The usual cast of characters sat out Tuesday's practice with a couple of notable additions. Defensive tackle Michael Brockers and tight end Jared Cook did not practice with Brockers absent. That duo joined safeties Christian Bryant, Maurice Alexander and Matt Daniels, running back Chase Reynolds, Long, Bradford and defensive William Hayes in sitting out the workout.

Upcoming schedule: The Rams will be back at it with another session open to the media on Thursday.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wish they'd state the reasons why they're not practicing. I guess that's left for TC.

With all the depth on this team, Preseason will be a fun 4 quarters this year.

Wonder who our 4th quarter receivers would be? Pettis, Quick, and Bailey? Lol

xander47

Rookie
Is anyone paranoid Quinn is going start off the season slow, from lack of practice competing against the likes of Hooey/Person instead of Long?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Is anyone paranoid Quinn is going start off the season slow, from lack of practice competing against the likes of Hooey/Person instead of Long?

What are you expecting to hear reported? There is no real pass rush being done. The lineman literally square dance thru the team drills, because this is all about the installation of the systems. The last thing you need them doing is blowing up plays and not letting the offense execute. Timing and preciseness of the routes, or timing on the blocking in the running game.

Even in training camp, other than the one on one drills, not sure what expectations you would have in evaluating or what you want reported from the defensive front in DRILLS, including the 11 on 11 stuff.

FRO

Legend
Wish they'd state the reasons why they're not practicing. I guess that's left for TC.

With all the depth on this team, Preseason will be a fun 4 quarters this year.

Wonder who our 4th quarter receivers would be? Pettis, Quick, and Bailey? Lol
Our 4th quarter guys will be Moe Veltung and Blake most likely with some of the UDFAs sprinkled in there. I expect Quick and Bailey to be second half guys with Austin, Britt, Givens, and Pettis being done at the half.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Our 4th quarter guys will be Moe Veltung and Blake most likely with some of the UDFAs sprinkled in there. I expect Quick and Bailey to be second half guys with Austin, Britt, Givens, and Pettis being done at the half.

Yeah I say you're right. I couldn't remember any of the WR's past #6.

I like TJ Moe but only because I'm a Mizzou homer. It's awesome the Rams have a few Mizzou guys.

FRO

Legend
If Quick is playing in the 4th quarter it's not a good sign. I think we keep 6 WRs, so Moe, Veltung, Franklin, Blake, ect will be battling it out to make the team for the first 4 games.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
How much PT would you give Bradford in pre-season?

lockdnram21

Legend

if Pettis is still getting significant snaps in pre season thats a problem imo. he should be a second half reeiver

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
if Pettis is still getting significant snaps in pre season thats a problem imo. he should be a second half reeiver
Why is that a problem? He's the #2 receiver at the moment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1st Game...One Series
2nd Game...One Quarter
3rd Game...Half the Game
4th Game...One Series
I hope he plays more in the 4th game, because I'm going to that one.
Fisher typically treats the 4th game like the 3rd, so I hope it stays that way this year.

lockdnram21

Legend

because he shouldnt be the #2, also imo that would show Quick hasnt progressed enough. i know u love pettis and im sorry to upset you but imo thats worst case scenario. How do u know hes #2right now?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Pettis is really not number 2 all of us know barring injury, it will be Britt, Givens, Austin, Quick/Pettis and then Moe or somebody else who impresses like Austin Franklin for example. Plus when Bailey comes back they will have to make a roster move.

IMO there is no depth chart at this point, for example, Sean Hooey and Mike Person are rotating with the ones, but if Long is not ready come September all of us know it will be Saffold at LT and Joseph at RG.

lockdnram21

Legend
Fisher typically treats the 4th game like the 3rd, so I hope it stays that way this year.

i thought the last game last season bradford didnt play at all? Wasnt that against B More when most of the starters didnt play when Quick had a decent game?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

He might play more than one series, however, if the first series goes well that will be it. No way IMO he plays more than that especially with better depth at QB. You will see plenty of Hill & the G Man...Garrett Gilbert.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
because he shouldnt be the #2, also imo that would show Quick hasnt progressed enough. i know u love pettis and im sorry to upset you but imo thats worst case scenario. How do u know hes #2right now?
I'm not upset about it. I'm just saying, as the depth chart stands, he's #2. Maybe he doesn't stay there, but protocol dictates that the starting 3 receivers only play a half. Things could change in camp and what have you, but you don't take away snaps from the guy if nobody is stepping up to take them. That's all.

tonyl711

Starter
Bradford should get the normal amount of reps in preseason, a possession or 2 the first 2 games, a quarter or so the last 2. IMO you need to test his knee and get the rust off.
as far as the WRs if Quick is getting second half reps during preseason he is probably on his way out the door, I think you will see Quick, Austin, Bailey and Britt getting the reps when the first unit is on the field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He might play more than one series, however, if the first series goes well that will be it. No way IMO he plays more than that especially with better depth at QB. You will see plenty of Hill & the G Man...Garrett Gilbert.
Well, I wouldn't mind seeing the guy who was taken over Luck coming out of HS. That would be interesting.