Observation Deck: St. Louis Rams vs. Dolphins/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Observation Deck: St. Louis Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11024/observation-deck-st-louis-rams-4

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher played coy all week about how much his starters would play against the Miami Dolphins on Thursday night.

As it turned out, they didn't play at all. All 22 likely starters sat out and Miami took a similar approach. From the Rams' standpoint, that's completely understandable, given what happened in the first half in Cleveland last Saturday, when five starters left with injuries.

In the battle of the junior varsity squads, the Rams (1-3) jumped to an early lead but couldn't hang on late as the Dolphins scored 14 unanswered points for a 14-13 win.

Some more thoughts and observations from Thursday's game:

On defense, the Rams showed a lot of a three-down-linemen look with three linebackers and five defensive backs. Even with backups in, coordinator Gregg Williams was OK with showing a few blitzes. On offense, they spent a lot of time with two tight ends in the game, with little in the way of pre-snap motion or movement.

No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson received a lot of playing time, starting at left tackle. So much for putting him at left guard and letting him settle in there. It's fair to wonder at this point if he's going to start the season as a backup.

Defensive linemen Michael Sam and Ethan Westbrooks continued to make their cases for roster spots. Sam was particularly impressive against the run, which is a good sign for a guy who has mostly showed up as a pass rusher to this point. He finished with six tackles. Westbrooks continued to show his versatility and came up with his second sack of the preseason to go with four tackles and two quarterback hits. Backup ends Eugene Sims and William Hayes did not play, leaving a lot of work for Sam and Westbrooks.

Receiver Austin Pettis has been awfully quiet in this preseason with one catch for 21 yards in the first three games, but he did come up with an 11-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter.

With Trumaine Johnson out four to six weeks because of a sprained MCL, the Rams could keep as many as six cornerbacks. There's likely one spot up for grabs among the group of Marcus Roberson, Darren Woodard and Greg Reid. Woodard made the best case Thursday night, showing good instincts in coverage and solid tackling skills. But he missed a pair of golden opportunities to come up with interceptions that he had in his hands. Roberson also missed out on one late.

Trey Watts didn't lack for opportunities to make his final statement and answered the call again, flashing the shifty running style that has caught the staff's eye. He finished with 51 yards on 13 carries.

I thought linebacker James Laurinaitis might get a short cameo just to get a little game action before the regular season but that didn't happen. Laurinaitis didn't play in any of the four preseason games as he works his way back from an ankle injury.

It was another solid outing for quarterback Austin Davis, who started against the Dolphins. He finished 12-of-19 for 162 yards and a touchdown for a passer rating of 107.8.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Is it possible maybe even likely that neither Robinson or Donald start. leaving us no drafted starters other than in specific packages?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams close out preseason with 14-13 loss to Dolphins
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_e7e3a68e-bd18-5911-9071-0b37b2f0c5df.html

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. • Michael Sam and Ethan Westbrooks slugged it out one last time for a spot on the 53-man roster. Backup quarterback Austin Davis put the finishing touches on an impressive preseason, completing 12 of 19 passes for 162 yards and a touchdown.

As for the Rams regulars? They were in mothballs watching Thursday's preseason finale wearing ball caps on the sideline. Bring on the Vikings.

If it were the regular season, seeing a 13-0 lead turn into a 14-13 loss in the second half would be a bitter pill for the Rams to swallow. But it's still August, and with Dolphins coach Joe Philbin blitzing at the end as if a playoff berth was on the line, Miami stopped the Rams' last possession on the St. Louis 40 with 1 minute 26 seconds to play and then ran out the clock.

Once again, bring on the Vikings.

Well, first coach Jeff Fisher must trim 21 players from the roster to reach the regular-season limit of 53. But the Rams left Sun Life Stadium with Adrian Peterson and Minnesota in the back of their minds. That takes center stage once Fisher does his roster housekeeping over the weekend.

With the Rams and the Dolphins resting all but one of their starters, the game went into Bubble Bowl mode from the outset. That meant there were plenty of opportunities for several dozen players on the edge of the roster to state their case, be they Rams or Dolphins.

After a scoreless and sluggish first quarter, the Rams got on the board first with a 49-yard field goal by Greg Zuerlein with 11:46 to go in the first half. The drive began with a 24-yard completion from Davis — who started at quarterback — to Chris Givens.

Undrafted rookie Trey Watts, who started at running back, helped the cause with a 12-yard run that got the Rams to the fringe of field goal range.

The Rams got the ball right back on the ensuing kickoff. On third and 9 from the Miami 21, Dolphins quarterback Matt Moore was pressured by blitzing safety Christian Bryant. Moore's pass was picked off by Mizzou product E.J. Gaines.

"It felt good to get my first pick," Gaines said. "I should have kept the game ball but I was too hyped, so I dropped it."

Gaines returned the interception 12 yards to the Miami 38, and it took only six plays for the Rams to find the end zone. Davis threw 11 yards to a diving Austin Pettis for the touchdown and a 10-0 Rams lead with 8:14 to go in the first half.

With wide receivers Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens playing with the second unit, and Pettis coming in during three-wide receiver situations, the Rams had a decided edge on the Miami secondary. Davis would've been able to play pitch and catch with that trio were it not for spotty pass protection. He was sacked three times in the first half; rookie Garrett Gilbert took over at QB in the second half.

Defensively, Westbrooks started at end, with the Rams uncharacteristically using a lot of three-man fronts. Westbrooks had a sack late in the second quarter, and added a QB hit in the third. But Sam had a very active half. Unofficially, Sam was in on five tackles by halftime.

On an active night for Zuerlein, he tried a 63-yard attempt with 8 seconds left in the half, but barely missed — wide left. But in the third quarter, he connected on a 53-yard attempt to give the Rams a 13-0 advantage with 5:37 left in the quarter. Prior to that kick, Zuerlein's longest field goal of the preseason was 45 yards in the exhibition opener against New Orleans.

After missing a 56-yard field goal earlier, Miami finally dented the scoreboard on a 5-yard run by Daniel Thomas on the second play of the fourth quarter. The play was reviewed but the TD stood, so the Rams lead by 13-7 with 14:47 to play.

Miami then took the lead with 6:15 to go in the contest on a quick pass from Seth Lobato to Matt Hazel. Bryant took a terrible angle on the play, running to the sideline and in effect opening the middle for Hazel, who waltzed into the end zone for a 22-yard touchdown and a 14-13 Miami lead.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Is it possible maybe even likely that neither Robinson or Donald start. leaving us no drafted starters other than in specific packages?

A good problem to have in this case, IMO. I'd change nothing.

Joyner was picked on a bit, though. He'll be fine.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
No. 2 overall pick Greg Robinson received a lot of playing time, starting at left tackle. So much for putting him at left guard and letting him settle in there. It's fair to wonder at this point if he's going to start the season as a backup. :palm:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Is it just me..... or have the Rams been hiding TA all preseason?

Tweed335

UDFA
Is it just me..... or have the Rams been hiding TA all preseason?

Hmmm....Perhaps

@BatteringRambo I hope you see the potential of both of these players, particularly Robinson whom is being played out of position most of preseason, and Donald whom hasn't even reached, nor had an opportunity to reach, his potential. As has been posted on here, it is a great sign that high round draft picks are able to sit on this team due to roster depth rather than played prematurely like the past. Sorry, not attacking you, just wanted to encourage you, mang! We actually have good players in the pipeline, now, and draftees are potentially better than these starters that we have now. That sounds promising in my book.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Even if not starting. The rooks will get plenty of playing time.

Our team is acquiring depth at a rate I've never seen.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Hmmm....Perhaps

@BatteringRambo I hope you see the potential of both of these players, particularly Robinson whom is being played out of position most of preseason, and Donald whom hasn't even reached, nor had an opportunity to reach, his potential. As has been posted on here, it is a great sign that high round draft picks are able to sit on this team due to roster depth rather than played prematurely like the past. Sorry, not attacking you, just wanted to encourage you, mang! We actually have good players in the pipeline, now, and draftees are potentially better than these starters that we have now. That sounds promising in my book.

I didn't take it as attacking or negative in any way. I tried to quote that and just hide as in no way #2 pick doesn't start (the value of that pick!). ..how does a #2 overall pick possibly sit? That is all. Qb's I understand, but no one on the o line esp 1st round and that high. The mods here know I'm a positive fan. Never doubted Donald or Robinson bro. All is well typed words misunderstood.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd hate to see Robinson & Donald not play with the 1s this year and just warm the benches - IMO 1st round draftees HAVE to play, otherwise its a serious waste of selections, we may as well have picked up the highest rated DBs in that matter, they would have had a better chance of starting...

seriously I hope this pre-season has been smoke and mirrors, and that Robinson, Donald & Joyner will feature heavily from day 1

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
I'd hate to see Robinson & Donald not play with the 1s this year and just warm the benches - IMO 1st round draftees HAVE to play, otherwise its a serious waste of selections, we may as well have picked up the highest rated DBs in that matter, they would have had a better chance of starting...

seriously I hope this pre-season has been smoke and mirrors, and that Robinson, Donald & Joyner will feature heavily from day 1
Yeah man - Donald needs to play in the rotation. With Tru out, Joyner will play a fair bit too.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I don't give a flying fugghettaboutit who starts, as long as the Rams win. If Long, Saffold, Wells, Joseph, and Barksdale are the best line to beat the Vikings, I'd hate to force the Rook to weaken the team due to draft status. Besides, what is the likelihood that line stays healthy very long? This sends a message to everyone that positions are earned on the field, not selected from a chair. It also acknowledges the fact that quality depth on the OLine was Priority One this offseason. Given the history of this team the last ten years, how can anyone disagree? Robinson played against backups and still suffered mental lapses. Last year, the Cheifs started the #1 overall pick at right tackle and he struggled mightily but improved to average by the end of the season.

Donald's primary role on this team is primarily to play upfield 3technique. We are about to face Adrian Freakin Peterson. Ya think we might want a couple run stoppers plugging up the interior? Is it okay for Langford to be a better run defender for a spell? Should we start in the nickel if they open w two tights and a fullback just so we can say Joyner started on day one? All these players should star on this team in the long run but the new CBA doesn't allow the time in pads to develop rookies like they could in the past.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
What exactly is the point of putting robinson at LT? I dont get that AT all. His head is "spinning" at the moment, he needs as many reps as possible at LG, so what do we do, put him at tackle to confuse him more...

What exactly is the point of putting robinson at LT? I dont get that AT all. His head is "spinning" at the moment, he needs as many reps as possible at LG, so what do we do, put him at tackle to confuse him more...

The first thing I thought watching the game just now, makes you wonder.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
If someone isn't fully healthy yet....just sayin. He may very well have to start at LT based on the health of some of our other starters on the line.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

It's possible that they have decided that they like him better at tackle or that tackle is where he needs more work for now.

We are talking about a professional coaching staff making the call here, and not just professional because they happen to have jobs in the league - I'm sure some thought has gone into this.

If he isn't ready, he isn't ready. So be it. He will get there - and in the meantime, we will see him in jumbo packages.

It's possible that they have decided that they like him better at tackle or that tackle is where he needs more work for now.

We are talking about a professional coaching staff making the call here, and not just professional because they happen to have jobs in the league - I'm sure some thought has gone into this.

If he isn't ready, he isn't ready. So be it. He will get there - and in the meantime, we will see him in jumbo packages.

So the report last week that his head was "spinning" at playing both LT and LG can be assumed to be BS? Or have they just changed their minds?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So the report last week that his head was "spinning" at playing both LT and LG can be assumed to be BS? Or have they just changed their minds?

I'm sure it is spinning. No doubt that knowing what his responsibility is on every play and how that responsibility changes based on the defensive alignment is what is holding him back. But as I said, if he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

Long term he was always a left tackle - wasn't he?

I'm sure it is spinning. No doubt that knowing what his responsibility is on every play and how that responsibility changes based on the defensive alignment is what is holding him back. But as I said, if he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

Long term he was always a left tackle - wasn't he?

So why not just simplify it and let him get comfortable at LT or LG? Rather than one week saying we want you focusing on LG, then a few days later saying actually we'd like you to play at LT, just pick a damn position and stick with it.

The quote I'm referring to (not a direct quote from Fisher but as reliable as non-direct quotes come):

Jim Thomas said:
Robinson’s head is spinning a bit after switching continuously between guard and tackle during training camp and the preseason. So the Rams decided to cut back on the crash course he has undergone getting ready for the NFL, and decided to back him down a little Saturday.

With the regular season fast approaching, the plan is to have Robinson focus on left guard from here on out, unless he’s needed on an emergency basis at tackle.