Obo Okoronkwo shows his ‘relentless’ side in Rams’ win over Bengals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You know, we could lose Fowler and cut Matthews and not miss a beat. I have high hopes for Polite, and Durham and Carraway showed well in the preseason.

We may not have superstars at that position (except, maybe, Fowler, but who knows if he's having a career year in a contract year or not), but we're a solid group from top to bottom.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You know, we could lose Fowler and cut Matthews and not miss a beat. I have high hopes for Polite, and Durham and Carraway showed well in the preseason.

We may not have superstars at that position (except, maybe, Fowler, but who knows if he's having a career year in a contract year or not), but we're a solid group from top to bottom.

Why would we want to cut Matthews ? I also have high hopes for Durham, Polite, Carraway & Patrick, so lets squeeze them all onto the 2020 53 roster. Matthews is good for the locker room and can help coach up the kids in what is likely his final season next year. He's dominating in Wade's defensive scheme right now, I keep him as long he continues his very productive path, ... and if Fowler is gone as expected, he'll still have a CAP cost which is less than half his. jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Why would we want to cut Matthews ? I also have high hopes for Durham, Polite, Carraway & Patrick, so lets squeeze them all onto the 2020 53 roster. Matthews is good for the locker room and can help coach up the kids in what is likely his final season next year. He's dominating in Wade's defensive scheme right now, I keep him as long he continues his very productive path, ... and if Fowler is gone as expected, he'll still have a CAP cost which is less than half his. jmo.

Yeah, but cutting Matthews along with others gives us much needed cap room to re-sign our important players (i.e., Ramsey, Littleton, Kupp, JJ3) and sign Scherff like you want to do other free agents.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie

Agree, Matthews will be cheap and he has several good years left in the tank.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yeah, but cutting Matthews along with others gives us much needed cap room to re-sign our important players (i.e., Ramsey, Littleton, Kupp, JJ3) and sign Scherff like you want to do other free agents.

Honestly, i'm not really seeing a problem in signing any of your listed players, but I'd CAP cut Robey-Coleman before Matthews, he doesn't come with a dead money charge of $2.mil.

Ramsey signing an extension prior to 2020 likely drops his CAP somewhat next season, and extending Kupp, JJ3 & Everett isn't due until 2021, where the current projected CAP has $96mil. showing as available.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The Obo and Samson combo could be the Ram's version of the Nigerian nightmare off the edge. Obo really flashes when it comes to rushing the passer while Samson is very good against the run.
Ebu does do well setting the edge, at least three couple of times it popped out to me. I was impressed at his progression. Even my dad was impressed and he's been fairly (oh what's the word when you want to hide the fact that you're being negative?) realistic about Ebu's play before this game.

PS: Dad, you know I'm just teasing you.

fearsomefour

Legend
Oko showed an almost complete lack of pash rushing moves.
He did try a sort of clumsy spin move.
This is not a put down but a positive.
He shows a lot of desire pass rushing and good strength.
He will only get better as he develops more moves and learns to use his hands better.

TexasRam

Legend
Obo was killing it in preseason. Now in regular games he's showing the same.

Dude could be huge down the stretch.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think that will be the look we see in the playoffs if we get in, certainly on non-passing downs. And assuming Obo keeps pushing and improving which I believe he will.

Maybe even before the playoffs in our divisional games where we need wins too I suppose. But I do want Matthews fresh in the playoffs because that dude can flat take over games. He still has that level of ability.
Clay Matthews & Eric Weddle still has a lot of gas left in the tank. The rams have 4 former NFL All-Pros in their Def line-up Donald-Ramsey-Matthews-Weddle. Wades defense will get better and peak in Nov-Dec-play-offs.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OLB'er snap count last Sunday:

Fowler- 70 snaps 84%
Ebukam -61 snaps 73%
Okoronkwo- 30 snaps 37%
Patrick- 1 snap 1 1%

DL'er Morgan Fox's snap count has been trending upward where last Sunday where is snap count was above starter SJD.

With the continued absence of Clay Matthews (who McVay is hopeful to return in Week 10 against the Pittsburgh Steelers) Samson Ebukam also saw roughly three-quarters of the defensive snaps at OLB. But it was Ogbonnia Okoronkwo that drew the most attention. He’s hovered around 40% snaps the past two weeks (after playing only two snaps in Week 6) and made the most of them on Sunday, tallying 1.5 sacks. If, for some reason, Matthews isn’t ready for Week 10 it’s possible we see Obo chip further into Ebukam’s play count.

I have seen the use of ER/OLB'er Natrez Patrick decrease seriously the last two weeks. I have posted that I also think we will see #45 getting some DE action in the near future.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I love Obo. I thought he was the steal of the draft. He’s not just a speed rusher though and has an arsenal of pass rush moves. His run game support could use some work but his ability to get after the QB is top 3 on the team already.
Oko showed an almost complete lack of pash rushing moves.
He did try a sort of clumsy spin move.
This is not a put down but a positive.
He shows a lot of desire pass rushing and good strength.
He will only get better as he develops more moves and learns to use his hands better.
I don't really know what to say right now. I'm confused.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DL'er Morgan Fox's snap count has been trending upward where last Sunday where is snap count was above starter SJD.
The old passing downs moving Brock inside and Fox at his spot. Or take Brock off as well and go with Fox and AD.

fearsomefour

Legend
We probably just watched him or noticed him on different plays.
All the plays I was he sort of tried a little should shake and just bull rushed. I did see one ok spin move.
He may have done other stuff I didn’t see.
Either way the results were the same.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
We probably just watched him or noticed him on different plays.
All the plays I was he sort of tried a little should shake and just bull rushed. I did see one ok spin move.
He may have done other stuff I didn’t see.
Either way the results were the same.
I’ll post some stills from the last two games. He has some veteran moves but he’s still very raw and it back fires on him sometimes. Not saying he’s completely there yet. But from what I’ve seen he is definitely trending upward.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Would say it's a risk for Matthews, he's a well-known veteran presence with the way he approaches angles in the point of attack; a lot of younger players can benefit to learning from him.

fearsomefour

Legend
I’ll post some stills from the last two games. He has some veteran moves but he’s still very raw and it back fires on him sometimes. Not saying he’s completely there yet. But from what I’ve seen he is definitely trending upward.
Agree with the trending upwards.