O-line Woes falls on Fisher's Shoulders

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Overall, I have been a supporter of Fisher. I like his tough defenses and his commitment to running the ball. But the O-line was pathetic again today and it is Fisher's fault. Sure there have been a lot of injuries and I put that into consideration. But when you bring in almost no veteran help in free agency this is what happens. He shouldn't have had to rely on two backup rookies to backup two starting rookies! That is a recipe for disaster and now the line is in complete shambles. Greg Robinson's technique refuses to improve and has even regressed. It is up to the coaches to make sure he has the proper technique and to correct his holding issue. I'm sorry but the disaster that is this offensive line is Fisher's fault.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed . 95% of us fans knew the o-line would hold this team back . And we all knew Saffold would get hurt , plus GR is a another JS .

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree with all that you say except that G Rob isn't another JS, he is a raw project that should have been drafted i the third round by a team with a good O line coach and a starter in place at LT. He could be developed into a good to great player, with good coaching, in a few years.
Now he is a fish out of water with no direction to help him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If GRob can't work out his issues at T, he should do well at G.

But, I'm not giving up on him as a T just yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give it a rest on Robinson. The guy was a project. People were calling Chris Long a bust too back in the day. Give the guy his three years. And give Brown and Havenstein some time to develop.

But in the mean time, we do need to go out and get help. Get some depth in FA, replace Saffold with a healthy guy, and I wouldn't complain if we replaced Barnes with a better player or a draft pick. Barnes is very under-powered.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It's fair that Fisher gets the blame. But Havenstein and Brown were nice picks. It's Fishers fault they got hurt? I'll agree that the Robinson mess is on him, but only because he lets the lazy ass kid play tackle. If he doesn't wanna put the time in, and watch film, study from the sidelines. I also like adding Battle. Wichman was good value where we got him. Can't blame fish for the many many injuries. I do blame him a little for not getting a vet to join the line though.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They've spent money on FA. Injuries killed that.
They drafted oline heavy this year. Again with the injuries

1st pick in next year's draft better be a qb. Even if we have to move up. Which at this point probably isn't necessary.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
He could be developed into a good to great player, with good coaching, in a few years.
Dunno, seems to me the best case scenario for the development pick strategy is ending up the minor league farm system for the rest of the league. If a guy needs 3 years to develop that leaves an upside of a good season in year 4 (last year of $20m contract) and perhaps a great year in year 5 (if exercise 1 year team option for $10-11m?). That's over $30million and a precious roster spot for a payoff of two seasons of production before he can leave or be very overpaid in free agency. And that's the best case scenario if a development pick is not a bust, sigh.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh no you didn't.....
But the O-line was pathetic again today and it is Fisher's fault. Sure there have been a lot of injuries and I put that into consideration.

What is G-Rob supposed to do? Really what did the LINE do today? No big holes...I get that...running against the stacked boxes on short yardage plays? No yards, no surprise...

We started 2 newer rookies on the right side, and one of them got hurt....which caused 3 additional position moves....

Fish is on the hook...yeah he coulda added a few more linemen...1 or two...higher picks...every year since 2012...so there's that...

But the O-Line didn't lose this game...those 2 fumbles...by top 10 players...hurt...
the sack I saw....Keenum shoulda stepped up....G-Rob tried to push his man past...didn't happen.
Keep drafting linemen...higher than the 5th...The line will be fine...I actually expect Saffold to play well, AND have a suitable backup in Wichman or Reynolds....Rhaney is still a poor alternative...he can't maintain contact....I still see DE's run away & around G-Rob on most plays....thats far different than getting blown backward or ran over.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Dunno, seems to me the best case scenario for the development pick strategy is ending up the minor league farm system for the rest of the league. If a guy needs 3 years to develop that leaves an upside of a good season in year 4 (last year of $20m contract) and perhaps a great year in year 5 (if exercise 1 year team option for $10-11m?). That's over $30million and a precious roster spot for a payoff of two seasons of production before he can leave or be very overpaid in free agency. And that's the best case scenario if a development pick is not a bust, sigh.

Why would you pay a third round developmental player thirty million dollars? Read my whole post.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Give it a rest on Robinson. The guy was a project. People were calling Chris Long a bust too back in the day. Give the guy his three years. And give Brown and Havenstein some time to develop.

But in the mean time, we do need to go out and get help. Get some depth in FA, replace Saffold with a healthy guy, and I wouldn't complain if we replaced Barnes with a better player or a draft pick. Barnes is very under-powered.
the OP has every right to be upset with Robinson and how this line has been built over the years. you don't take the 2nd overall pick in the draft to be a developmental player for 3 years when it was already the 3rd year of the new regime and especially when it's the most important position on the line. is it ok to let your QB get blind sided or get flagged a league worst. you're saying it's ok for all these rookie lineman to be drafted the same year when we all know the high risk of injuries and develop them over years but fisher had to get 10 wins this year or you want him out. if you're ok with years of development how can you call for fishers head now? can't have your cake and eat it too

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh no you didn't.....

What is G-Rob supposed to do? Really what did the LINE do today? No big holes...I get that...running against the stacked boxes on short yardage plays? No yards, no surprise...

We started 2 newer rookies on the right side, and one of them got hurt....which caused 3 additional position moves....

Fish is on the hook...yeah he coulda added a few more linemen...1 or two...higher picks...every year since 2012...so there's that...

But the O-Line didn't lose this game...those 2 fumbles...by top 10 players...hurt...
the sack I saw....Keenum shoulda stepped up....G-Rob tried to push his man past...didn't happen.
Keep drafting linemen...higher than the 5th...The line will be fine...I actually expect Saffold to play well, AND have a suitable backup in Wichman or Reynolds....Rhaney is still a poor alternative...he can't maintain contact....I still see DE's run away & around G-Rob on most plays....thats far different than getting blown backward or ran over.

You see there is this incredible thing called free agency where you can sign established players and veterans. This means that Fisher doesn't have to rely on mid-late round rookie backups to backup the rookies you already drafted earlier. The fact that Jeff is having to put 6th round rookies in his starting lineup is a testament to his failure in free agency.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@NateDawg122

Which FA should we have gotten? Did you like the Jake Long signing? How about Reynolds? Davin Joseph? I'm scared of FAs...LUPATI & VELDHEER DO LOOK GOOD. Maybe we'll go and get the Center from Cinci or Wiznewski in 2016....for our rookie QB....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the OP has every right to be upset with Robinson and how this line has been built over the years. you don't take the 2nd overall pick in the draft to be a developmental player for 3 years when it was already the 3rd year of the new regime and especially when it's the most important position on the line. is it ok to let your QB get blind sided or get flagged a league worst. you're saying it's ok for all these rookie lineman to be drafted the same year when we all know the high risk of injuries and develop them over years but fisher had to get 10 wins this year or you want him out. if you're ok with years of development how can you call for fishers head now? can't have your cake and eat it too

Fisher likes drafting high upside athletes. They knew what Robinson was when they drafted him. They made that decision. That didn't make Robinson any less of a project.

And what I'm saying, since I have to explain it to you again, is that I am glad the Rams finally spent draft capital on young talent on the OL (Robinson, Havenstein, Brown, etc.) because they have neglected to do that and all of these broken down journeymen put us in the shitty situation we are in. It was necessary. And it might just end up being something that helps us significantly in the future as these guys develop. It was making a move for the good of the franchise in the future rather than simply looking at the present. It was a necessary evil.

And yes, I'm okay with years of development. Which is why I gave Jeff Fisher four years to get the job done.

Keep fishing for contradictions...one day, you just might find one.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@NateDawg122

Which FA should we have gotten? Did you like the Jake Long signing? How about Reynolds? Davin Joseph? I'm scared of FAs...LUPATI & VELDHEER DO LOOK GOOD. Maybe we'll go and get the Center from Cinci or Wiznewski in 2016....for our rookie QB....

What? You're comment makes no sense. And also, in your first comment you said "what is Robinson supposed to do?" Umm, how about block somebody?! That's his job! And while he's at it he should stop grabbing every jersey he sees. Let's remember we aren't talking about some 3rd round rookie here. We are talking about the 2nd pick in the entire 2014 Draft who should've been vastly improved this year.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Fisher likes drafting high upside athletes. They knew what Robinson was when they drafted him. They made that decision. That didn't make Robinson any less of a project.

And what I'm saying, since I have to explain it to you again, is that I am glad the Rams finally spent draft capital on young talent on the OL (Robinson, Havenstein, Brown, etc.) because they have neglected to do that and all of these broken down journeymen put us in the crappy situation we are in. It was necessary. And it might just end up being something that helps us significantly in the future as these guys develop. It was making a move for the good of the franchise in the future rather than simply looking at the present. It was a necessary evil.

And yes, I'm okay with years of development. Which is why I gave Jeff Fisher four years to get the job done.

Keep fishing for contradictions...one day, you just might find one.
so do you let fisher finish the projects he's started on offense now or not?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so do you let fisher finish the projects he's started on offense now or not?

N-o.

He made his bed. He gets to lie in it. But I can still appreciate him going young on the OL to hopefully set the team up for the future. It was necessary. Unfortunately for him, he made too many bad offensive decisions to get to see it through.

Ballhawk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Why does coach Boo get a pass on all of this? Did he go to Auburn or something?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You see there is this incredible thing called free agency where you can sign established players and veterans. This means that Fisher doesn't have to rely on mid-late round rookie backups to backup the rookies you already drafted earlier. The fact that Jeff is having to put 6th round rookies in his starting lineup is a testament to his failure in free agency.
He signed Reynolds who has been arguably the most valuable lineman on the roster. And he was SUPPOSED to be a backup.

They resigned Saffold as a veteran free agent. Barnes is in his fourth year. He was signed as a free agent.

Selective memory much?

Please explain to me how any coaching staff can be blamed for being forced into playing now the 11th linemen on the unit.

Fisher had been blasted for not getting guys in here that can be developed. He finally does that and now we expect those same guys to be instant starters when NONE of them were meant to ready THIS YEAR.

Donnal. Williams. Wichmann. Rhaney. Now Battle were never supposed to be starters this year. So to expect them to step in and be instant stars is absolutely unreasonable.

Going in to the season with the expectation of Reynolds & Rhaney as the "depth" was a sound plan. Anyone who says they could have predicted losing both starting guards, and now THREE RTs needs be be in Vegas.