O-line with returning starters (some shifting)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reason I posted it is not because I think this is what we should do but Fisher has stated that he'd like to have Long and Barksdale back and that Long could possibly play guard. So I'm just looking at the possibilities. Fisher may change that thinking of course just as he did with the "Sam Bradford will compete for starting job" but it does seem like something they may be thinking. I haven't heard him really talk about Wells though.

FrankenRam

Starter
Our luck signing FA linemen the past 7 years has been bleak.
If we could get a solid center or guard in FA, I would be very pleased.
Even then, I would still like to see 2 early picks on the position.

Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you, but this 'We need to abandon signing FA OL because we haven't been good at it in recent history' notion has to stop.

I've said it elsewhere on this forum today, but it wasn't too many yr ago fans were saying 'Please don't draft a DL in the first round because we haven't been good at in recent history.' And if the Rams FO had taken that to heart, we wouldn't have either Quinn or Donald now.

We can't not sign a FA OL just because recent signings haven't worked out. If there's one (or 2 or....) worth signing this year, we have to take the chance because expecting to find ONE day 1 ready OL starter is tough. Finding > 1 is as risky a strategy as not finding a better backup QB than Hill/Davis.

Not saying we should go after FA OL just to sign one. If there aren't any good, reasonably priced, OC's or OG's out there, then no, it shouldn't be done. But........

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you, but this 'We need to abandon signing FA OL because we haven't been good at it in recent history' notion has to stop.

I've said it elsewhere on this forum today, but it wasn't too many yr ago fans were saying 'Please don't draft a DL in the first round because we haven't been good at in recent history.' And if the Rams FO had taken that to heart, we wouldn't have either Quinn or Donald now.

We can't not sign a FA OL just because recent signings haven't worked out. If there's one (or 2 or....) worth signing this year, we have to take the chance because expecting to find ONE day 1 ready OL starter is tough. Finding > 1 is as risky a strategy as not finding a better backup QB than Hill/Davis.

Not saying we should go after FA OL just to sign one. If there aren't any good, reasonably priced, OC's or OG's out there, then no, it shouldn't be done. But........
You seemed to have missed the part where I stated
"If we could get a solid G or C in FA I would be very pleased" (Paraphrasing my own post)
:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would think that a OL of Wells @ OC, Saffold & Long @ OG & Robinson & Barksdale would be one nightmare of a OL. Weaker than what we had in 2014. That OL would place Sam Bradford on the IR as fast as he went IR in 2014. At least we would the possibility of the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft.

The Ram OL stands a better chance of looking closer to the below early in training camp:

OLT-Greg Robinson/Vacancy
OLG-Mike Person/Brandon Washington
OC-Tim Barnes/Demetrius Rhaney
ORG-Rodger Saffold/Vacancy
ORT-Barrett Jones/Vacancy

May not be that good but sure beats paying Long his 10.5 mil, Wells his near 5 mil & whatever they will over pay for Barksdale guesstimate of at least 5 mil a season....wasted cap cash that will prevent the Rams from retaining many of the 7 or 8 starters who will be UFA's in 2016. Lets get some young healthy talented Ol'ers in this draft to resolve our weakest Ram unit.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would think that a OL of Wells @ OC, Saffold & Long @ OG & Robinson & Barksdale would be one nightmare of a OL. Weaker than what we had in 2014. That OL would place Sam Bradford on the IR as fast as he went IR in 2014. At least we would the possibility of the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft.

The Ram OL stands a better chance of looking closer to the below early in training camp:

OLT-Greg Robinson/Vacancy
OLG-Mike Person/Brandon Washington
OC-Tim Barnes/Demetrius Rhaney
ORG-Rodger Saffold/Vacancy
ORT-Barrett Jones/Vacancy

May not be that good but sure beats paying Long his 10.5 mil, Wells his near 5 mil & whatever they will over pay for Barksdale guesstimate of at least 5 mil a season....wasted cap cash that will prevent the Rams from retaining many of the 7 or 8 starters who will be UFA's in 2016. Lets get some young healthy talented Ol'ers in this draft to resolve our weakest Ram unit.

Dear God, I'd cry with that Oline too! Might just whimper with the all vets. (Though I acknowledge that you're saying "early in camp.") Any reason you think BJ could play RT? Barnes seems a spot starter at best and have no clue what the coaches see in Rhaney (literally cause I haven't seen or heard of him taking any reps). Person? He seemed outmatched with the limited snaps he got in games.

The way I see it, we need soooo much on the oline. Right now we are missing (not including JLong, Wells and Barksdale for obvious reasons): a RT, a swing T, a Center, a starting G. And that's with me allowing for BJ sticking as a BACKUP guard. Damn, that's a lot to fill out on the oline.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dear God, I'd cry with that Oline too! Might just whimper with the all vets. (Though I acknowledge that you're saying "early in camp.") Any reason you think BJ could play RT? Barnes seems a spot starter at best and have no clue what the coaches see in Rhaney (literally cause I haven't seen or heard of him taking any reps). Person? He seemed outmatched with the limited snaps he got in games.

The way I see it, we need soooo much on the oline. Right now we are missing (not including JLong, Wells and Barksdale for obvious reasons): a RT, a swing T, a Center, a starting G. And that's with me allowing for BJ sticking as a BACKUP guard. Damn, that's a lot to fill out on the oline.

You got it. The fact is we do have critical needs in the OL. The retaining of three of the 2014 OL'ers who entered free agency would be smart. UFA Person our 6th 2014 OL'er, RFA Barnes our 7th 2014 Ram Ol'er & ERFA Brandon Washington our 9th 2014 OL'er would not hurt the cap in any way. All three have been around the NFL for over 3 seasons & know what Boudreau wants in his OL'ers. Having these three here along with young vets Robinson, Saffold & Jones give us at least a half dozen known OL'ers in here. With the lost of aged Wells, Joseph & Long the Ram OL gets much younger & much healthier. Now they can add the needed talent thats lacking, through the draft.

Rams would then have the $$$$ opportunity to add one good OL starter in free agency.

Yes I do feel that Barrett Jones can play ORT. Jones started 26 games on that right side & he sure played OT without any issues before moving inside to center. All Barrett Jones needs to do remain healthy & keep getting stronger. Jones may not be the run blocker that JB was but I know he will be much more sucessfull keeping those speed rushers from molesting our QB than JB & Barrett is under contract @ an ultra low cost. But Barrett's best NFL post will be center.