NYC trip

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Taking the wife to the Big Apple for a long weekend later this month and looking for suggestions from those who have visited lately. Any help guys? I feel like I'm going to a foreign country! Maybe I am :nono:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Blue, any suggestions as to what shop to get the pie?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'll tell you a couple of things that I did when I went up there with my wife. Actually took her up there to watch what turned out to be Kurt's last start for us.

I hailed cab in Time Square. This is not as easy as you might think. You gotta do that.

We ate at a very cool place called Tao's. Apparently 50 cent has parties there all of the time.

Saw some kick ass Blues at B. B. King's night club.

And of course you have to get a slice of NY pizza at some point. Lots of places to get a slice as you're walking around.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Visit Stark Tower. Oh wait...I think its still being rebuilt.

Drop into the sewers and say hi to the turtles.

Read the Daily Bugle.

Ahh seriously...

Go the 9/11 memorial. Empire State Building. Last time I was there (July 2001 :shock: ) I went to Statue of Liberty. That was fun.

Before that (like 1998ish), they had double decker bus tours that show you everything. IDK if they still have that.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I went this summer. A few things you have to do:

Go to broadway and see a play. It can get a bit pricy but its definitely worth it.

Go to a NY Deli. Carnegie is my pick. Most will say Katz.

The new Yankee Stadium is awesome. They open against the Red Sox on April 1st if youll be there then.

Columbia University is by far the coolest campus I have ever been on. I think my IQ went up just being there.

If you like going out, to bars/clubs, go to the meat packing district.

The obvious tourist traps. Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty(if open), 9/11 memorial, Wall St, central park, times square, so-ho, museums......... etc

If you want Pizza, I would suggest Joe's or Artichokes. While I didnt eat at either, a couple friends of mine, from NYC, recommend both strongly.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
Thanks Blue, any suggestions as to what shop to get the pie?

Honestly, anywhere. There are so many pizza joints, it's practically on every corner and I've never had a bad pizza in NY. They have great Deli's as well, gotta try those. Unlike libertadrocks, I'm a Katz man, but it's usually very very busy. Also if you go to Brooklyn (which I figure you'll be all over) I'd check out the Brennan & Carr for roast beef dip. It's fucking amazing, they dip the entire sandwich in the dip it's so good.

If you have time, seeing a game at MSG is pretty fun, mostly for the experience.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wall Street really baffled me. We took a bike ride around the city. Wall Street is pretty much an alley - not some major street as I had assumed. Pretty cool seeing the big pillars and the sculptures though. Then you turn around and there is a statue of George Washington where he was inaugurated as the first President of the United States (very cool for history buffs). Looking down the street you will see a steeple that is essentially the exact width of the street in front of the Washington statue. If you head over there you will discover a little cemetery dedicated to those who died in prison defending the rights of The Constitution. I had several people ask me what I was taking pictures of. When I told them, the response was something like. "lived my whole life here and never knew." One guy was back a few minutes later with his own camera.

The Statue of Liberty is a must as far as I was concerned. Ellis Island? Not so much... yawn. Amazing view atop the Empire State building. Check out a show at The Iridium Night Club (saw THE Les Paul there).

You have to check out Times Square at night. Grab a hot dog at one of the carts. As far as pizza? I know I'll be looked at as a heretic but I tried many pieces of pie in the nine days I was there. Meh.

We had a tremendous meal at Churrascaria TriBeCa on Broadway. It's a Brazillian restaurant. You have a coaster type deal at your seat that is red on one side and green on the other. If you have it green side up, they will come by to see if you want some cuts off the skewer. Red side means leave me alone. Guys are running around with big skewers of several meats, great wine selection, a buffet is set up as well that has got all kinds of stuff in it - including Sushi. The place is classy all you can eat faire and is a kick in the pants.

There's also a very cool Ethiopian restaurant in the Village - don't recall the name. No forks, knives or spoons - just your digits and some flat bread to eat with and sop up stuff on your plate.

If you can get away from the city at all, I recommend taking a tour around West Point. Very cool from an historical perspective.

Central Park is very cool as well and if it is nice and sunny when you are there... lots of scenery there. :shock:

Hail a taxi, take the sub. Those are must do things and you simply are going to need to do it anyway.

Have fun - there is so much to do. Don't plan on getting any rest though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I've already bought Rangers tickets for one night and I'm a fan! :hehe: (wife didn't see that one coming) Plan on checking out Empire State Building around midnight one night, heard not much lines there at that time and of course Grand Central Terminal and Times Square. Doing a pub crawl in the village one night and Statue of Liberty is closed but will take the Staten Island Ferry just to cruise by it. Central Park is two blocks from Hotel on 7th Avenue as well as Carnegie Deli. Bought 9/11 workshop tickets and tickets to the Memorial.

We plan on utilizing the subway a lot but I hadn't thought about the "hailing a cab" thing, gotta do that now! And thanks about the GW statue thing. That's the kind of things I like to see when others are oblivious to it. I don't know if we'll have time to do any museums or studio tours because I'm getting the picture, you need at least a week there to scratch the surface. I'm trying to talk wife into taking in a show at the Mercury Lounge or such but she thinks only young people go there. I told her it's NYC, it doesn't make a crap!!! We'll see how her attitude changes after a few Manhattans and Long Island Iced Teas! :sly:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ramhusker said:
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I've already bought Rangers tickets for one night and I'm a fan! :hehe: (wife didn't see that one coming) Plan on checking out Empire State Building around midnight one night, heard not much lines there at that time and of course Grand Central Terminal and Times Square. Doing a pub crawl in the village one night and Statue of Liberty is closed but will take the Staten Island Ferry just to cruise by it. Central Park is two blocks from Hotel on 7th Avenue as well as Carnegie Deli. Bought 9/11 workshop tickets and tickets to the Memorial.

We plan on utilizing the subway a lot but I hadn't thought about the "hailing a cab" thing, gotta do that now! And thanks about the GW statue thing. That's the kind of things I like to see when others are oblivious to it. I don't know if we'll have time to do any museums or studio tours because I'm getting the picture, you need at least a week there to scratch the surface. I'm trying to talk wife into taking in a show at the Mercury Lounge or such but she thinks only young people go there. I told her it's NYC, it doesn't make a crap!!! We'll see how her attitude changes after a few Manhattans and Long Island Iced Teas! :sly:

I went twice. Once in the day, once about 1:00 in the morning. The view was better in the day, but considering the line, it's definitely better to go late at night. Very wise move.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Made it back from the Big Apple! Wife and I had a great time. We did most things on our list and of course unexpected things. Hockey game at the Garden was fantastic even though the Rangers lost but it was after a shootout which gave me my money's worth! Most exciting was going up the Empire State Building and when I was getting on the elevator to come down from the 80th floor, the fire alarm goes off. I had just been to the 9/11 memorial the previous day and was imagining the poor souls that had to jump to escape fire that day. Well, the elevator takes us down and when the door opens, we are greeted by firemen toting hoses and axes! I'm thinking WOW!

You need two weeks to do that city and I'd imagine you'd still only scratch the surface. I don't know how people live there though. How does a kid from NYC learn to drive? I can't see taking him/her out in a driver's ed car in that insanity! They must have simulators.

We stayed at the Wellington Hotel on 7th Ave between 55th and 56th. It's an old hotel and extremely small room and bathroom but clean and FANTASTIC location. I don't know if you can get much better with location. The diner, Park Diner, is good and service is lightning fast but a touch pricey. The staff was friendly and one of the doormen was on Survivior (I forget his name now). The room only cost $150 a night. In the middle of Manhattan, I think it's a steal.

Thanks for the tips you guys gave. I used quite a few.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Glad to hear you had a good time Bo.

Sooooooooooooooo,,, I gotta ask....

Did you hail a cab and get him to stop for you?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Selassie I said:
Glad to hear you had a good time Bo.

Sooooooooooooooo,,, I gotta ask....

Did you hail a cab and get him to stop for you?

Yes, several times. My wife even got one to stop. The cabbies are crazy bastards aren't they? Lines on the roads marking lanes? Fugedaboutit!