Numbers say Todd Gurley missed holes in 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele.../numbers-say-todd-gurley-missed-holes-in-2016

LOS ANGELES -- The fault of Todd Gurley's disappointing 2016 season for the Los Angeles Rams usually falls on the circumstances that surrounded him, specifically a shoddy offensive line and a non-threatening passing attack that caused defenses to stack the box and suffocate Gurley every time he touched the football.

But Gurley himself didn't take advantage of opportunities.

ESPN NFL Insider K.C. Joyner tracks the situations when running backs receive good blocking under a stat called good blocking yards per attempt. Good blocking, in this instance, roughly refers to the times when offenses do not allow defenses to disrupt a rush attempt. In 2015, while on his way to being named Offensive Rookie of the Year, Gurley averaged 10.9 good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) on 73 carries, the highest rate in the NFL. In 2016, Gurley averaged 6.8 GBYPA on 101 carries, 38th among the 43 running backs with triple-digit good blocking attempts.

It validates what Jamon Brown alluded to at the end of the season, when he talked about how Gurley and the offensive line "have to get back on the same page." And what running backs coach Skip Peete talked about six weeks later, when he said that sometimes Gurley went away from the playcall.

i

Rodger Saffold, currently the starting left guard, saw improvement in the communication with Gurley during the offseason program.

"It's more just kind of figuring out the speed out of the backfield that he needs," Saffold said. "Once you get that down, then you kind of see the mesh of what we're trying to get done. He knows what we're trying to do on the offensive line as far as front side and back side. So, he knows where the play is going. Inside, with our wide zones and our inside zones, I think he's attacking where we want the ball to go a lot better. And I think he’s letting things develop, too. Letting things develop on the inside, but on the outside he’s really pushing that edge, and it’s opening up some things for him."

Gurley, the 10th overall pick out of Georgia in 2015, went from rushing for 1,097 yards through 12 starts in 2015 to rushing for 885 yards through 16 starts in 2016. Those 885 yards were the fewest ever for a running back with at least 275 carries in a single season. It vaulted Gurley out of the discussion for the elite running backs in the game, mere months after he was thought to be in position to lead it.

Rams quarterback Jared Goff still considers Gurley "one of the best in the league."

"He's done it in the past," Goff said, "and I think he'll prove it this year."

"He's a big, powerful guy that's able to stick his foot in the ground and break tackles," Rams first-year offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur added. "I'm really excited to see what he's going to do this fall."

Gurley's 3.18 yards per attempt ranked 41st among 42 qualified running backs. He averaged 1.59 yards before first contract, which was also the second-worst mark in the league. The latter stat shows that defenses were getting to him quickly. But Joyner's numbers say the Rams gave him good blocking on 36.3 percent of his carries, which ranked 28th among 43 qualifying running backs and indicates that Gurley should have been better. Perhaps significantly so.

Gurley isn't one for introspection, at least not in public. He talked up the communication with the new coaching staff, but downplayed what a new offense would change about his approach after a mandatory minicamp practice last Tuesday. He was asked about not putting up the numbers everybody was expecting, and he instead referenced two different numbers.

"Four and 12 is definitely not the season no one wants," Gurley said. "I don't really care about what I do individually. We wouldn't have this discussion if we were 14-2 and I had 200 yards. It really doesn't matter what I do or what anybody else does on this team. It's about what we do on the field together."

That's what strikes Goff, and several others, about Gurley -- how legitimately team-oriented he is. Thing is, the team won't have success unless Gurley does. And he knows that better than anybody, even if he won't let on.

"How hard he's taken everything, and how serious he's taken everything, has been awesome," Goff said. "I expect him to have a great year."

WestCoastRam

Legend
Absolutely, Gurley was a huge part of the problem of the running game last year. My only hope is that his sudden "lack-of-vision disease" came from trying to make something happen with a bad oline in front of him.

His vision was atrocious last year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Lets see how he does this year. I sense that he has zero faith in the rams coaching staff last year. Which could explain why he went away from playcalls or why he called out the offense mid season. I expect him to get back to where he needs to be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Ram65

Legend
It validates what Jamon Brown alluded to at the end of the season, when he talked about how Gurley and the offensive line "have to get back on the same page." And what running backs coach Skip Peete talked about six weeks later, when he said that sometimes Gurley went away from the playcall.
Rodger Saffold, currently the starting left guard, saw improvement in the communication with Gurley during the offseason program.
"It's more just kind of figuring out the speed out of the backfield that he needs," Saffold said. "Once you get that down, then you kind of see the mesh of what we're trying to get done. He knows what we're trying to do on the offensive line as far as front side and back side. So, he knows where the play is going. Inside, with our wide zones and our inside zones, I think he's attacking where we want the ball to go a lot better. And I think he’s letting things develop, too. Letting things develop on the inside, but on the outside he’s really pushing that edge, and it’s opening up some things for him."

I'll never forget Marshall Faulk's comments on Isaiah Pead during a preseason game.

Paraphrasing MF said that " Pead was in too much of a hurry to get to the hole. It's not how fast you get to the hole is how fast you get through the hole"

I'm sure TG got frustrated last year. He could have lost his timing. A few things I noticed

1. I was amazed on some plays that he got any yards by just bulldozing the line when there appeared to be no hole.
2. Rams didn't block the backside and a defender would come around and tackle TG sometimes before he got to the line. Commentators said it looked like it was by design.
3. TG didn't look to go outside later in the year. I thought he had room to cut outside many times later in the year but, just went straight ahead.

I don't dissect plays by rewatching games. I did watch some 2015 highlights a week or so ago. There no doubt TG can break tackles and make yardage after first contact. He makes big plays both running and catching. The Rams need a bounce back year from TG to take some pressure off of Goff.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I had to hit he pause button on my opinion that Gurley is a great back after what I saw last year but I have not given up on him either. In his defense he was in bad system and it was clear he felt he could not afford to be patient while constantly getting hit behind the line play after play. A player needs confidence in himself and his teammates and I think Gurley lost some of that last year IMO. I am hoping he just had the Bettis-type Rams slump last year and that he bounces back strong this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely, Gurley was a huge part of the problem of the running game last year. My only hope is that his sudden "lack-of-vision disease" came from trying to make something happen with a bad oline in front of him.

His vision was atrocious last year.
Well, he did great his first year. Remember how commentators gushed about his patience in waiting for holes to develop (rookie year)? This speaks to his frustration and lack of belief that the "play" would be good enough and that he had to make things happen himself.. Missing holes seems to be a mental thing to me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He seemed a little weaker as far as breaking tackles.

He was running up guys backsides. If you ever played offense, esp. line, you hate when backs just run right in your back....it's worse if you're a receiver.

Either his vision was terrible, or he just put his head down and didn't care.

I have no worries Gurley will improve & return to 2015 form....if I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say someone told Gurley to run this way last year and say that middle school offense quote to get guys fired. And I mean coaches.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll never forget Marshall Faulk's comments on Isaiah Pead during a preseason game.

Paraphrasing MF said that " Pead was in too much of a hurry to get to the hole. It's not how fast you get to the hole is how fast you get through the hole"

I'm sure TG got frustrated last year. He could have lost his timing. A few things I noticed

1. I was amazed on some plays that he got any yards by just bulldozing the line when there appeared to be no hole.
2. Rams didn't block the backside and a defender would come around and tackle TG sometimes before he got to the line. Commentators said it looked like it was by design.
3. TG didn't look to go outside later in the year. I thought he had room to cut outside many times later in the year but, just went straight ahead.

I don't dissect plays by rewatching games. I did watch some 2015 highlights a week or so ago. There no doubt TG can break tackles and make yardage after first contact. He makes big plays both running and catching. The Rams need a bounce back year from TG to take some pressure off of Goff.
I love the MF quote!! Spot on!!(y)(y)

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Team oriented, but also taking the blame off of himself a bit. Nothing wrong with either. Not many are going to admit they missed holes and that it's their fault (other than a few plays) for a bad season.

Running the ball seems easy, just take it and run to the designated hole, but there are some great RBs that improvise with success. We know ED is one, but what I found interesting is that he mentioned the counters where he took a side step to set up his blockers first so he wouldn't outrun them. I always thought counters were mainly to fool a few defenders into thinking the RB was going the other way. In this case it was to allow his blockers to get to their spots. May be football 101 to some, but I don't recall using that scheme from back when I played HS. Was just simple stuff comparitively speaking.

On Pead's "hurry to get to the hole" that makes total sense. That was the knock on Gaston Green back in the late 80's, who HC Robinson said also wanted to take everything outside all the time. Very important to use those blockers when you can. You'd think as a career RB that they all get that concept. But how they're coached and different schemes obviously factor in.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Best article I've seen on the subject of;

"Was it Gurley or the O line".

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
...if I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say someone told Gurley to run this way last year and say that middle school offense quote to get guys fired. And I mean coaches.
Towards the end of the season I think that's exactly what he did.

He does need to accept some of the blame though and reevaluate his technique.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good article.
Was it the OL or Gurley? Yes.
Hardest thing to teach young runners is to not bounce everything. Gurley is not a young kid. He is a pro and one that can dominate.
I find the lack of introspection alarming. Don't know if that is true or not. But, always have to adapt and self awareness or self criticism is part of that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The last time Todd had to run behind a line without holes, if ever, was probably back when he was 10x better than everyone else in high school or pop warner. So yeah, we can say he was part of the problem, and I'd agree with that to a small extent, but the dude didn't suddenly forget how to find a hole or lose his vision.

Far bigger contributors were the complete lack of blocking execution up front, and a scheme that could not deter teams from focusing on Gurley. I get that the guy was distracted in the offseason, hanging out with Jay Z and the burger commercials and all that. But it's important to keep perspective on how unsound our offense was around him.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i think everyone can take a chunk of the blame for last year ...teams dared us to beat them with the pass by stacking the box ...we couldn't do it thats on the QB and the WR

Gurley was hit often and hard in the back field.. game plan (coaches) o line thats on you

Gurley was frustrated tried to make things happen far to often instead of letting the play develop thats on him

gladly i can safely say that none of the above should apply this year

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Also, is it me, or does Gurley look a lot more focussed this year. Maybe it was just that software slump that guys get, but lets be honest out Cos were damn poor last year...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, is it me, or does Gurley look a lot more focussed this year. Maybe it was just that software slump that guys get, but lets be honest out Cos were damn poor last year...
I have noticed that too. He looked down right disinterested to me last season. Almost pouty. He seems a lot more focused to me thus far and I hope he stays that way throughout the season. He is being interviewed just like everyone else under this regime and NO ONE is untouchable on this team at this point IMO. McVay is the honey badger of coaches.....and honey badger don't give a shit where you were drafted.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just have to wonder , how mush of this^ was brought on because Gurley got tired of playing behind a Line he just didn't Trust!!

Exactly that's why I hate this robot computing numbers because it doesn't take into account the human element. You watch the first half of the season you saw Gurley trying to be patient and wait for that hole to open up but over the course of getting tackled over and over again behind the line you get frustrated and think damn I got to make something happen on my own.