Number 1 overall pick... Offensive Guard!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian
So if G Rob gets moved to right guard and Saffolds at left, between him... not forgetting Alex Barron and Jason Smith, how many top 10/1st or 2nd overall picks have we wasted on offensive GUARDS and bust left tackles? Ive counted 4!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice job finding a negative storyline in an otherwise good offseason. Keep 'em comin.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I like the part where you said he was a 1st overall pick...

Water under the bridge at this point. Let's see what he does under coach Kromer.

Be positive brotha!

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
I think Grob can turn it around as LG. LT was way too much for his type of play style.

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's actually what made me think of it! The decisions that are being made! The GREAT ones!!! Thinking how better we'd be w whitaker made me think of the bad leadership we've struggled w and finally moving on from. I'm dying to see what else is coming in the next few days.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Would you rather have him succeed as Guard or be a complete and utter failure?

Remember Leonard Davis draft #2 overall by Arizona, struggled for 3 season under Dennis Green and was the most penalized player in the league. He went to the Cowboys as the Highest Paid player in the NFL and went to the ProBowl for the next 3 seasons.

I seriously hope history repeats itself, and GRob becomes an All Pro Guard for the next several seasons for the Rams.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
So if G Rob gets moved to right guard and Saffolds at left, between him... not forgetting Alex Barron and Jason Smith, how many top 10/1st or 2nd overall picks have we wasted on offensive GUARDS and bust left tackles? Ive counted 4!
Ryan Van Bibber, is that you?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't think so. I think Kroger can get the absolute most out of Jamon Brown. We need a center and that's pretty much all we'll do for the Oline IMO.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
If GRob turns into a dominant guard a la Steve Hutchinson (?) who played for the Vikings a few years back then is that not worth a second overall pick?

Obviously that's a huge IF with GRob but I suppose I'm more interested in whether people think that kind of outcome would be worth #2 overall.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a lot of us have said before, he should have been tried at OG a long time ago.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
In a perfect world, GRob gets his :poop: together playing guard for two or three years until Whitworth's tires are completely bald then moves back to LT as a seasoned veteran and kicks butt!(y)

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
We arguably nabbed the best player in that entire draft with Aaron Donald at pick #13 so maybe for those whom maybe bothered by where we drafted Greg Robinson at #2 might wanna try imagining we took Donald at 2 and Robinson at 13

With that being said, i was here with many who saw GRob coming out of Auburn as a beastly roadgrader who needed to improve past protection

I think Kromer will work wonders with GRob
Here is your standard CBS analysis pre-draft - same issues plague him today. Is it the guy or the Fisher regime's development ?

ANALYSIS
Strengths
Has long arms and excellent overall body mass. Outstanding run blocker with the strength and power to wash down half of the line. Creates a surge and generates power from his lower body. Good get-off and body control. Excellent reach-blocking, chipping and releasing to the second level. Very good balance in his set and is quick to cut off the rush. Can maneuver his hips, shuffle, slide and mirror. Has a strong punch and replaces his hands. Very athletic in vertical sets.

Weaknesses
Could stand to refine his technique in pass protection and do a better job finishing blocks. At times will quit after contact and let defenders come underneath or get over the top -- handwork is too passive. Developing eyes and awareness vs. the blitz -- still learning how to adjust to overload pressure and could improve switching off blocks. Aggressively overextends and occasionally loses balance and falls off blocks.

Draft Projection
Round 1 (top 10)

Bottom Line
Big, strong, athletic, overpowering left tackle with the raw potential to become a premiere, franchise left tackle. Is only a third-year sophomore and two-year starter and still must improve his hand use, footwork and technique. However, he is undeniably gifted and capable of walking into a starting-left-tackle job in the pros and paving the way in the run game.

-Nolan Nawrock

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
GRob was actually doing well at LG but had to take over LT due to injuries to Jake Long.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
GRob reminds me of Tony Mandarich. Beast of a player, but just wasn't up to living up to his possible hype at LT.

Thing that most people don't know is that Mandarich had a pretty nice career playing OG for the Colts.

Was he a bust? sure. But most of the money is already spent. If GRob can be a really good OG under Kromer, then he's basically value at that point. Well, maybe a little expensive, but not a waste like he would be if he simply washed out at OT.

lockdnram21

Legend
GRob reminds me of Tony Mandarich. Beast of a player, but just wasn't up to living up to his possible hype at LT.

Thing that most people don't know is that Mandarich had a pretty nice career playing OG for the Colts.

Was he a bust? sure. But most of the money is already spent. If GRob can be a really good OG under Kromer, then he's basically value at that point. Well, maybe a little expensive, but not a waste like he would be if he simply washed out at OT.
He's playing Rt mcvay just said Havenstein going inside

fearsomefour

Legend
Saffold was a T and drafted as a T. Only in recent years did he move inside, usually with good results.
Even if all the rest busted (too early to tell with the current crop) that doesn't mean would stop trying to find them.
The OP is like the guy who has a break up and swears off relationships forever...the. Comains about being lonely.
Gotta break a few eggs in the kitchen man.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Who are you mad at? The previous regime? It's not like they're calling the shots anymore.

Would I have liked a different pick? Of course, but we can't change that now. We have a new captain, time to let him man the helm for a little while.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lets SEE him at RIGHT TACKLE for a season....to me, it's like if you ever started a new job, and had a terrible trainer....you're always behind the 8-ball. Teaching matters....