Now we know what McVay thought our biggest weakness was

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I'm not sure drafting Everett is a sign they don't have confidence in Higbee or Hemingway... we did lose Kendricks. I think they like this unit and want to run some 3 TE sets.

As far as WR's; once you get past Austin, Woods, and Cooper there were a lot of question marks.
It's not like Austin and Cooper have shown themselves as solutions at WR either. Woods hasn't been much more than a good 3rd WR in the league. Maybe they'll improve. Help at WR was a must.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
I kept harping prior to the draft about our need to score more points and adding weapons for Goff. Never expected to add 2 WR----really felt we needed a deep threat as well as a dependable receiver at all levels of the field, which is why I wanted Godwin. Sorta doubted Kupp's effectiveness as a deep threat but I felt confident in his ability in levels 1 and 2; adding Reynolds and Kupp is huge. Needless to say I think the offense will be extremely improved with these 2 guys and Everett; I am totally happy with all three receivers!!! Our passing game will be respected this year and thus things will open up for Gurley in our running game. The OL will be fine now that we've got one of the best coaches in the business teaching/leading that group.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There has been a consistent trait that every player the Rams have signed as FAs or drafted has.

From Whitworth and Woods to Kupp and Rogers and everyone in between -

Extremely hard workers who love football. That's it.
This draft wasn't about finding the pieces for building a football team, it was about finding the character for building a new culture.

It now seems obvious what McVay thought the Rams biggest problem was, and it wasn't "talent", it was character.
And I don't mean that we were full of bad character guys like Pac-Man Jones-types, which I feel Fisher was criticized a bit unfairly for while with the Rams.
The biggest reason why guys become "busts" is because they don't LOVE all of the game. They might love game days or the locker room but not getting up at 4am to do sprints in May...

Everyone brought in under the new regime has off-the-charts FOOTBALL CHARACTER.
That is what I think McVay and Co saw as this teams biggest weakness, so the first move was to change that.
Forget adding players, we're adding character.
Once you get this many guys who push THEMSELVES to do the work, you can create an atmosphere of hard work that sustains itself.

Maybe next year they draft a little differently... maybe they can go after some guys who might not fit that description... but first things first.
Well said!! I hope they all Mimic our New HC!!(y):snicker::shades:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
There has been a consistent trait that every player the Rams have signed as FAs or drafted has.

From Whitworth and Woods to Kupp and Rogers and everyone in between -

Extremely hard workers who love football. That's it.

I want to question this. How do you measure or define Hard workers with the players coming in versus the players already on or recently released? And, how do you measure how much they love the game?

By your logic, Benny Cunningham, Lance Kendricks, and William Hayes should still be on the roster, because IMO, after all of the training camp practices I've seen in St Louis and in Irvine, these guys set great examples of hard work and leadership.

How do you know that Gerald Everett works harder and loves football more than Lance Kendricks or any other player from the Rams roster last season? Seems you are implying that some Ram players from the past season or so are not hardworkers and do not love the game. IF so, you would be better understood by saying who and why.

If I had to guess, I would say the common theme is that they are all Smart, with good football instincts, and team oriented, not me first.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to question this. How do you measure or define Hard workers with the players coming in versus the players already on or recently released? And, how do you measure how much they love the game?

By your logic, Benny Cunningham, Lance Kendricks, and William Hayes should still be on the roster, because IMO, after all of the training camp practices I've seen in St Louis and in Irvine, these guys set great examples of hard work and leadership.

How do you know that Gerald Everett works harder and loves football more than Lance Kendricks or any other player from the Rams roster last season? Seems you are implying that some Ram players from the past season or so are not hardworkers and do not love the game. IF so, you would be better understood by saying who and why.

If I had to guess, I would say the common theme is that they are all Smart, with good football instincts, and team oriented, not me first.

I think you are maybe taking my post a bit too far. Hayes, Cunningham, Kendricks and any others released could be gone for any number of reasons.

Yes, "smart" football players were targeted, but football isn't rocket science.
To me, being a "smart" player means you work hard at studying the game, not just work hard at lifting weights.

The point of my post was that there is an easily identifiable common denominator to every player brought in by the new regime. I made no claim that the outgoing players lacked that characteristic.

You're right, trying to quantify a "hard working" player is subjective, but so is nearly every opinion written about all rookies being considered for the draft.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's not like Austin and Cooper have shown themselves as solutions at WR either. Woods hasn't been much more than a good 3rd WR in the league. Maybe they'll improve. Help at WR was a must.

Why are you singling out Tavon and Pharoh? Tavon has been productive in his career and Pharoh was a 4th round pick.

I think it has more to do with letting Kenny Britt and Brian Quick sign on other teams and Stedman Bailey unable to play football.

That's 3 WRs gone, so they got 3 WRs to replace them (Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, and Josh Reynolds).

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Our passing game will be respected this year and thus things will open up for Gurley in our running game.

They drafted a FB also, that tells me they are committed to the running game as well because Gurley runs best with a lead blocker according to something I read last year. I can't remember where I read it though..........

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Saw the presser and there it is. Kromer is not panicking and neither should we. If he really felt that the guys in the draft are an upgrade and that he couldn't coach up what we already have, I'm sure he would have made his case to draft some ... and McVay would have listened. My guess? Kromer saw bad coaching and bad scheme. I'm going to trust his gut on this one.

I suspect Kromer and his blocking scheme is a better fit for our talent up front. Also McVay isn't going to run shells and shorts all camp long and deprive the big uglies of the snaps they need.

Competition too, with open positions all over the roster is going to be great for us.

FRO

Legend
Why are you singling out Tavon and Pharoh? Tavon has been productive in his career and Pharoh was a 4th round pick.

I think it has more to do with letting Kenny Britt and Brian Quick sign on other teams and Stedman Bailey unable to play football.

That's 3 WRs gone, so they got 3 WRs to replace them (Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, and Josh Reynolds).
My point is they haven't asserted themselves as NFL starting WRs. Woods is borderline as a starter. There was an obvious need at the position. That was my point. Judging by the Rams draft they agree with me.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My point is they haven't asserted themselves as NFL starting WRs. Woods is borderline as a starter. There was an obvious need at the position. That was my point. Judging by the Rams draft they agree with me.

First off, Tavon has actually produced as a WR, RB, and PR. Is he a traditional WR? No, and it's high time we stop judging him on something he's not.

Pharoh Cooper as a rookie didn't really do anything, which for a 4th rounder isn't surprising.

Robert Woods is a borderline starter? Is that we he started 57 of 64 games? Besides, if he was a "borderline" starter, why in the world would the team sign him a big money deal anyway? And to boot, draft 2 rookies WRs right after signing him? C'mon man.

I'm not disagreeing that there was a need at the position, but I wholeheartedly disagree as to why. And it's really simple: they lost 3 WRs in the offseason, and they replaced them with 3 new WRs.

FRO

Legend
First off, Tavon has actually produced as a WR, RB, and PR. Is he a traditional WR? No, and it's high time we stop judging him on something he's not.

Pharoh Cooper as a rookie didn't really do anything, which for a 4th rounder isn't surprising.

Robert Woods is a borderline starter? Is that we he started 57 of 64 games? Besides, if he was a "borderline" starter, why in the world would the team sign him a big money deal anyway? And to boot, draft 2 rookies WRs right after signing him? C'mon man.

I'm not disagreeing that there was a need at the position, but I wholeheartedly disagree as to why. And it's really simple: they lost 3 WRs in the offseason, and they replaced them with 3 new WRs.
Ok. We are loaded with offensive talent. Only thing holding us back was Fisher.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Woods is going to be a solid #2 WR. Buffalo did NOT use him correctly. I agree that we lost three WR's and replaced them with BETTER 3. Tavon is gonna get his chance to shine. If he fails, they cut bait next year and still have their 3 starters. Thomas, Cooper and Spruce are fighting for the last 1-2 slots.. .so they better show out big or the guy(s) that don't will be gone.
Especially to start the season, Kupp and Reynolds are rookies and it's gonna take a little time to adjust. that is where the others ( Austin, Cooper & Spruce) better prove their worth.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This thread is on point. Character... New era new attitude new possibilities. That is exactly what it is...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
OK....
I figure he likes the line, RB, and QB....and a bunch on defense...and wanted new receivers....

It's all good...until the first losing streak....

Or some of the new guys drop the damn ball. Say whatever you like now...I wanna see words turn into action.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
OK....
I figure he likes the line, RB, and QB....and a bunch on defense...and wanted new receivers....

It's all good...until the first losing streak....

Or some of the new guys drop the damn ball. Say whatever you like now...I wanna see words turn into action.

If I think what's going to happen this season there is going to be plenty of action....Seriously I will eat as much crow as was in the Hitchcock classic. I have a good feeling the direction we all been waiting for is on course. Its all about the philosophy now.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well said OP, I couldn't agree more. Fisher was too laid back and relied too much on his coaches. Discipline was absent (except for Deon Long), the Fisher regime was definitely a case of the tail wagging the dog.
Fisher truly believed that if you just had enough athletes that showed elite skills and test times that it would somehow all magically come together and that winning would breed winning.

Fisher also drafted for upside and ceiling.

I don't ever remember reading any draft reports on Quick or Robinson that said they were super competitive individuals.
It was all about measurables and upside.

I'm not sure where Snead's philosophy came in but McVay definitely wants super-competitive players.

And you can see it in their tape.

I could give a flying hump what any of the pundits rate our draft.

This is more of a draft that reminds me of New England.

Draft super-competitive, super productive players and put them next to each other and watch them produce together.

Me likey. :D

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Or some of the new guys drop the damn ball
Drops will and always will happen. Fans will freak out, but life goes on. 3 out of the top 5 teams that lead the league in drops and drop % went to the playoffs this season. It's obviously something that the Rams need to be improved, and drops are an issue, but it can be overcome.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well said OP, I couldn't agree more. Fisher was too laid back and relied too much on his coaches. Discipline was absent (except for Deon Long), the Fisher regime was definitely a case of the tail wagging the dog.
Fisher truly believed that if you just had enough athletes that showed elite skills and test times that it would somehow all magically come together and that winning would breed winning.

Fisher also drafted for upside and ceiling.

I don't ever remember reading any draft reports on Quick or Robinson that said they were super competitive individuals.
It was all about measurables and upside.

I'm not sure where Snead's philosophy came in but McVay definitely wants super-competitive players.

And you can see it in their tape.

I could give a flying hump what any of the pundits rate our draft.

This is more of a draft that reminds me of New England.

Draft super-competitive, super productive players and put them next to each other and watch them produce together.

Me likey. :D