Now THAT's some kickin !

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i

FG
0:00
Matt Prater 59 Yd Field Goal
3 plays, -2 yards, 0:11
10-0
i'm pretty sure it was only around 20 degrees yesterday at Soldier Field. THAT is a good field goal kicker.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Seems all kickers are amazing now.. except GZ sadly. I've been a huge defender of GZ and felt this season he would put it all together and have an elite year, but even before the injury he was just not good enough. He's one of my favorite players but I would not be shocked if they didn't re-sign him after such a season, it's a results business not a potential & excuses business.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
GZ kicked a 61 yarder vs Minn this year. Not sure what you're saying.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Greg Zuerlein was so good his first two seasons then the misses started. He kicks too low..."no lift on the ball" was what my uncle said when he first saw him kick. I thought the old guy was getting senile or his eye sight was going south because I and everyone else believed Greg was the new Wilkins. Well my uncle has gone on to the great chick hunting grounds in the sky (if you knew him that would crack you up) but I now can see what he saw in Greg's rookie season. It's fixable...other kickers have had to adjust and he will too. I hope.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
GZ kicked a 61 yarder vs Minn this year. Not sure what you're saying.

not very easy to kick a 59 yarder outside in cold weather like that. rather impressive. 22-24 in FG's this year as well. surprisingly enough he's missed 3 PAT's and 1 of his FG's from the 30's . 3 from 59 and 1 from 64 (in Denver) in his career. 75-105 from 40 + yds in his career too.

Debacled

Starter
Lets look at the misses, did this earlier in the season and it still looks similar.
Missed 2 against GB (Missed from 53, 63, and had a 50 yarder blocked)
Missed 2 against the Browns (missed from 35, missed from 63)
Had a 40 yarder blocked against the 49ers (week 8)
Missed from 48 against the Vikings (would have been a game winner)
Missed from 52 against the Ravens (in terrible windy conditions)
Missed from 52 against the 49ers (and had a game winning 48 yarder blocked)

Essentially was blocked as many times from inside the 50 as he missed (the blocking unit needs to get their $#!t together). 20-30 looks bad, but the misses kinda tell the story. Gotta remember he missed a couple games and was definitely hurting towards the end of the year with that quad injury.

jap

Legend
Greg Zuerlein was so good his first two seasons then the misses started. He kicks too low..."no lift on the ball" was what my uncle said when he first saw him kick. I thought the old guy was getting senile or his eye sight was going south because I and everyone else believed Greg was the new Wilkins. Well my uncle has gone on to the great chick hunting grounds in the sky (if you knew him that would crack you up) but I now can see what he saw in Greg's rookie season. It's fixable...other kickers have had to adjust and he will too. I hope.

You can't kick a 20-yard FG the same way you kick a 50-60-yarder. The ball has to rise quickly for short kicks or they will never clear the crossbar. The longer the kick is, the lower the elevation (and the easier to block) for the kick to reach optimal height at the crossbar plane.

Fish has Greg kick relatively many long FG's so the kicks would have to start with lower elevations. However, when they arrive at the crossbar plane, they tend to have much more than sufficient height---they just tend to go outside the side-posts more than we prefer.