Nov. 27 Rams Practice Report: Austin Thinking of Bailey,Plan at QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/27: Austin Thinking of Bailey, Plan at QB

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1127-Austin-Thinking-of-Bailey-Plan-at-QB/e312480d-626f-4404-95e8-d1c9a76a07b2

As one Rams player put it Wednesday, wide receivers Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin are like two peas in a pod -- clearly two of the closest players on the team. Both wideouts starred at West Virginia before the Rams brought them to St. Louis in the 2013 draft.

With that in mind, it’s been a tough week for Austin.

“It’s very difficult,” Austin said. “We’ve got to keep him in our prayers. I’m the one who is probably his closest brother on the team, just because we played together [in college.] But everybody feels the same.”

“He’ll be alright. He’s going to be good,” Austin added. “But it was rough, just seeing it, believing it. That’s the hardest part -- just knowing the type of brother that you have. I’ve spent seven years of my life with him.”

While Austin has not been able to get in direct contact with Bailey, his teammate has not been far from his thoughts. And in a way to honor him, Austin said he’s going to speak with head coach Jeff Fisher about wearing a No. 12 jersey for the rest of the season.

“That’s our brother. Hopefully coach Fish will let me wear it in the game -- I’m going to ask him -- for the rest of the season,” Austin said. “But he always is going to be [with] us regardless -- even if I can’t wear the jersey.”

Austin and Kenny Britt both sported No. 12 blue practice jerseys during Friday’s session.

“That’s nothing but support for our brother that we love. And we’re going to be there for him,” Britt said.

Fisher said it’s a gesture that makes sense, considering the closeness of the receiving unit as a whole.

“That’s cool. They love Sted,” Fisher said. “If we had enough jerseys to go around, everybody would’ve had a ‘12’ jersey on, including me. We just don’t have enough to go around.”

“The guys love Sted,” Fisher continued. “Sted’s a very popular player, a great teammate, very, very talented player. It’s unfortunate. We were a week away from him coming back in the building and getting ready to help us win.”

Fisher did provide a small update on Bailey’s condition, saying head trainer Reggie Scott had gone down to visit with him.

“Our doctors have talked to the attending physicians and the surgeons and he’s in stable condition right now,” Fisher said. “We’re just trying to gather more information right now. But, he’s in stable condition.”

And so while Austin’s focus has remained on trying to win a football game against Cincinnati this week, he plans on supporting Bailey as much as he can whenever he can once the season ends.

“I definitely know his strength,” Austin said. “He’s definitely going to pull through. The offseason, I might be right down there beside him. Pushing with him, getting him right back here beside me, and Kenny, and all of us. Whatever it takes, just to get him back.”

SUNDAY'S PLAN FOR QUARTERBACK

Fisher said Friday quarterback Case Keenum is still not through the concussion protocol, keeping him limited for the day’s practice and listed as questionable for Sunday. The current plan is for the club to continue to monitor Keenum over the next day, and then make a decision on who will start -- Keenum or Nick Foles.

“Unless we get good news tomorrow, then Nick will be our starter,” Fisher said. “If [Keenum’s] completely cleared and he feels good, then he’ll start. But, as it is right now, it’s looking like we’re going to potentially have to go with Nick, which is great.”

If Keenum is not healthy to go, Fisher said he’s excited about Foles getting a chance to play.

“He seized the opportunity and he had a great week this week,” Fisher said. “So, loves the game plan and he’s ready to play. I think our offense understands where the challenges are and we need to score points. Nick’s excited about the opportunity if he plays.”

For his part, Foles said he’s stayed ready throughout the process.

“I’ve been preparing the same as I’ve always been,” Foles said. “If you’re going to play quarterback, you always have to prepare like you’re starting. Preparation hasn’t changed when I stepped back. You’re always ready to go if your number is called.”

Foles has split reps with Keenum throughout the practice week, and so he’s plenty familiar with what the Rams need to do offensively to combat the Cincinnati defense.

“I think the key to us is, it’s always staying inside the chains,” Foles said. “If we do get to third down, make sure it’s third-and-manageable. We’ve been in a lot of third and longs this year. So, staying inside the chains and doing a good job on first and second down. On the road, in the red zone you have to come away with touchdowns.”

And even though Foles is, in effect, acting as the backup, the Rams receivers are still familiar with the way he throws the ball.

“Whoever is in there can go and do the job,” Britt said. “We’ve got guys who are going to go out there and make plays for him. And whoever starts on Sunday, we’re going to be there for him.”

INJURY REPORT

Defensive end Robert Quinn (hip/back), Trumaine Johnson (thigh), and right tackle Rob Havenstein (calf) did not practice and are all listed as questionable.

Keenum and kicker Greg Zuerlein (right groin) practiced on a limited basis and are also listed as questionable.

Offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (knee) did not participate all week and has been declared out.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Case Keenum questionable; Nick Foles likely to start Sunday
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...uestionable-nick-foles-likely-to-start-sunday

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams quarterback Case Keenum has still not made it through the concussion protocol and will be questionable for this Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

While Rams coach Jeff Fisher expressed some optimism that Keenum could show improvement Saturday and still start, almost all signs point to Nick Foles returning to the starting job this week.

“At this point, Case has been limited in practice," Fisher said. "Unless we get good news tomorrow, then Nick will be our starter. If he’s completely cleared and he feels good, then [Keenum will] start. But, as it is right now, it’s looking like we’re going to potentially have to go with Nick, which is great. I’m so excited about Nick getting a chance to play. Then, Case might be our third, unless things get better tomorrow.”

Under league rules, Keenum has been able to participate in practice this week on a limited basis as he recovers from the concussion he suffered on Sunday. For most of the week, Keenum split reps in practice with Foles, but Foles took more than Keenum on Friday as the Rams finished practice outside in the rain.

The Rams benched Foles after their 37-13 loss to Chicago on Nov. 15. At the time, Fisher said that he hoped Keenum could provide a spark to the offense and that Foles needed to take a breather and step back for a bit.

“I’m always ready, so whenever that number’s called I stay ready," Foles said Friday. "It’s not like I turn it on or turn it off. I just stay ready. If that’s what they want to do, I’m going to be the same Nick and hopefully just play better. You want to go in there and play better, get a win, play efficient on offense and get drives going. That’s the goal.”

Fisher said there are some more tests for Keenum to clear the concussion protocol and those will be administered on Saturday. But it still seems unlikely that the Rams will rush Keenum back into the mix after the circumstances surrounding his concussion and the fallout afterward.

"There will be some more tests that are done tomorrow," Fisher said. "We’re not going to subject him to any risk whatsoever.”

If Keenum is unable to start, the Rams will likely use rookie Sean Mannion as Foles' backup. Fisher said Foles is ready to go if called upon.

“He had a great week," Fisher said. "He seized the opportunity and he had a great week this week. So, he loves the game plan and he’s ready to play. I think our offense understands where the challenges are and we need to score points. Nick’s excited about the opportunity if he plays.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Austin, Britt practice in Bailey's No. 12 jersey
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_42f01cba-898b-5e3e-a815-bf5f3129cbb5.html

There were a pair of No. 12’s on the practice field Friday at Rams Park. Tavon Austin wore one, with fellow receiver Kenny Britt sporting the other.

No. 12 belongs to another Rams wideout, Stedman Bailey, a third-year pro who was shot late Tuesday in a drive-by back home in the Miami area. Bailey, 25, underwent a lengthy surgery on Wednesday. On Friday, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that Bailey was in stable condition and expected to spend the next few days in intensive care.

“Our doctors have talked to the attending physicians and the surgeons ...,” the coach said. “Our head trainer, Reggie (Scott), went down to see him and we’re just trying to gather more information right now. But he’s in stable condition. As far as the incident is concerned, there’s an ongoing investigation (and) I have not gotten any further details at this point.”

Later, Fisher added: “What we’ve been able to gather is he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

According to Miami Gardens police, Bailey was shot as he and four other people were sitting in a car outside a home in the Miami area. Another man with Bailey, Antwan Reeves, was also shot. Three others in the car, including two children, were not injured.

Bailey, who’s serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL policy on substance abuse, actually spoke with Rams medical staff Tuesday night.

Fisher was asked about the dual No. 12s on the practice field Friday.

“That’s cool. They love Sted,” the coach said. “If we had enough jerseys to go around, everybody would’ve had a (No. 12) jersey on, including me. ... It’s a very, very unfortunate incident. ... Again, we’re still waiting to get (more) information, but the guys love Sted. Sted’s a very popular player, a great teammate (and a) very, very talented player. It’s unfortunate, we were a week away from him coming back in the building and getting ready to help us win.”

Speaking publicly for the first time since the incident, Austin was visibly shaken Friday and said that he’d like to wear Bailey’s No. 12 the rest of the season.

“He’s our brother. Hopefully Coach Fish will let me wear it in the game,” Austin said. “He’s always going to be on us, even if I can’t wear it, but that’s the plan. I (still) have to talk to Coach Fisher about it.”

Austin, who played with Bailey at West Virginia before the two were drafted by the Rams in 2013, said he learned of the shooting late Tuesday but that he has not had any contact with Bailey or his family.

“It was rough, actually just seeing it and believing it,” Austin said. “I just keep praying. I’m probably his closest brother on the team — I’ve spent seven years of my life with him — but everybody feels the same. We’re waiting for him to get back right and basically go from there.

“He’ll be all right; he’s going to be good.”

Britt said wearing No. 12 “was nothing but support for our brother. We’re going to be there for him. Right now, we’re just wishing for the best for him. We’re going to keep our hopes up for him.”

INJURY REPORT

Rams quarterback Case Keenum has yet to complete the concussion protocol and was listed as questionable on Friday. Keenum was limited in practice with former starter Nick Foles getting more snaps.

Offensive lineman Andrew Donnal, who suffered a knee sprain early in last week’s loss in Baltimore will not play Sunday.

The Rams listed defensive end Robert Quinn (hip/back), cornerback Trumaine Johnson (thigh) and tackle Rob Havenstein (calf) as questionable. None of the three practiced this week.

A late addition to the Friday report, kicker Greg Zuerlein was limited on Friday with a strained right groin. He is also questionable.

On Friday, the Bengals placed CB Darqueze Dennard, a first-round draft pick out of Michigan State in 2014, on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. CB Adam Jones (foot) and DT Pat Sims (knee) were limited on Friday and are questionable for Sunday’s game against the Rams.

Probable after going through full Friday workouts for Cincinnati are QB Andy Dalton (groin), TE Tyler Eifert (knee), WR Marvin Jones (hamstring), T Andre Smith (thigh), LB Vontaze Burfict (knee), CB Dre Kirkpatrick (knee) and S Shawn Williams (ankle).

NEXT MAN UP

With starting cornerback Johnson hobbled, second-year pro Marcus Roberson could be in line for his fourth NFL start Sunday in Cincinnati. He stepped in for Johnson last week and had one tackle. He was also beat early in the fourth quarter on a 3-yard TD pass from Joe Flacco to Kamar Aiken.

“Bad eyes. That was all on me,” the soft-spoken Roberson said. “I’ve been preparing all week, trying to make sure that I’m ready for whatever comes my way.”

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is confident Roberson can do the job.

“He does very well,’’ the coach said. “Last year, he did it quite a bit; he wouldn’t be here if we didn’t think he was ready to go. ... He understands the terminology, he’s done very well on the reps he’s played so far (and) I can’t wait to watch him play if he gets an opportunity this week.

“I really have no reservations about it. He’s ready to roll.’’

RAM-BLINGS

After beginning Friday’s workout indoors, the team spent the final 20 or so minutes of the workout in the rain. There’s a possibility of rain Sunday in Cincinnati.

“We went out here today to handle a wet ball for the offense and then defensively for the footing,’’ Williams, the defensive coordinator, said. “Even though it’s field turf, it’s always good to get out in the conditions and challenge our guys.’’

Williams added: “Any kind of weather is defensive weather.’’