Nov.17 Rams Practice Report: Keenum's First Session

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 11/17: Keenum's First Session

By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1117-Keenums-First-Session/0d9f1389-dffb-4a1a-a8f8-d856c14f20f2

The Rams will have a different look under center when they play the Ravens in Baltimore this weekend, as Case Keenum takes over at starting quarterback. And after Tuesday’s practice -- his first as QB 1 -- it was clear how much Keenum relishes his new opportunity.

“I'm excited for my chance, I really am,” Keenum said. “I'm excited to go out there and compete again. You don't get many chances to play in this league. I definitely count it as a blessing, and to get a second chance to come out and compete is incredible.”

Having been with St. Louis for much of last season, Keenum had plenty of familiarity with offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti prior to the trade that brought him back from Houston in March. That’s helped him this season in gaining comfort in the offense, even as things have changed within it.

“Cig and I spent a lot of time last year together -- being the third guy, the practice squad guy for the last half of the season -- just talking ball,” Keenum said. “I think as a quarterback, you want to be on the same page as your coordinator, see the defense with the same set of eyes. And I think we do.”

Because of that, head coach Jeff Fisher said the Rams do not have to pare down much with the playbook in order to get Keenum ready for Sunday. They will, however, make some adjustments based on what Keenum really likes.

“We made some minor adjustments in the plan just because there’s some things that he sees and sees a little differently than Nick [Foles] and [that] they prefer,” Fisher said. “It’s all good. All it does is, hopefully, translates into first downs.”

While Fisher has said the Rams may take advantage of Keenum’s mobility, the quarterback conceded he’d rather throw the ball than just run it himself all the time.

“I try to find the open guy and get the ball out of my hands and into the fast guys’ hands -- that tends to work better, when I'm not holding it and they've got it in their hands,” Keenum said. “You know the talent we have in this locker room -- you've seen it every Sunday. That's my job.”

“I think that Case has shown that he can extend plays -- scramble around, extend plays and make throws down the field,” Fisher said. “So, yeah, there are some things that we can do a little bit differently. But, it all starts with the run game and our ability to protect him.”

And when Keenum does throw it, he’ll have to be on the same page as his receivers. Getting the timing down between a new quarterback and pass catchers can be tough in the middle of the season, but Keenum does have experiences with his teammates to draw upon.

“I got a lot of reps with these guys during the preseason,” Keenum said. “They rotated receivers in and out, so I've seen every practice rep and everything that's happened around here the whole time.”

“I think it always takes time -- chemistry always takes time,” Keenum added. “That's why we practice and go out there and play. The more you play and practice, the more experience you'll get and that's priceless.”

While he hasn’t started a regular-season game for the Rams, Keenum has gone against the Ravens. He started the Texans’ Week 15 contest against Baltimore last year, helping lead Houston to a 25-13 victory.

“It helps and it doesn’t,” Keenum said. “It's previous years. It's a new team, it's a new opponent. There's good and bad things to that.”

As a backup, Keenum said he’s done his best to prepare each week as if he would get in the game. It’s the way it must be done, as the No. 2 quarterback is always one play away from becoming No. 1. But Keenum admitted this week is a little different.

“You may dot a few more ‘I’s or cross a few more ‘T’s when you're thinking about the plan,” Keenum said. “I try to prepare and be the most mentally ready that I can be every time I step on the practice field. Now, instead of sitting back there visualizing it and doing fake reps on air, I get the real reps, which is a lot better.”

Keenum said he felt a bevy of emotions after receiving the news he’d be starting from Fisher on Monday. On one hand, he was glad to get his shot. But on the other, Foles has become a close friend.

“We've been fighting hard to play the best that our position can play, and I have the utmost respect for Nick,” Keenum said. “That's the first person I talked to after coach Fisher told us. We have a great relationship and I have his back no matter what.”

The same can be said from Foles’ perspective, as he reiterated how close the two have become and his team-first mentality on Tuesday.

“I love Case to death,” Foles said. “He's one of my favorite people in the world, so I'm going to be right there to support him every step of the way and help him in any way possible.”

“I care a lot about my teammates,” Foles added, “so I'm going to do everything I can to prepare this week to help Case and help my teammates to get a win this week.”

The shift will be an adjustment for those around the quarterback as well, including running back Todd Gurley.

“It’s definitely a change,” Gurley said. “It kind of just popped up on us, but it’s something that we’ve dealt with in the past -- whether it’s vets or me from changing quarterbacks in college.

“We believe in Case,” Gurley continued. “He’s a good quarterback, so we’ll see how that goes.”

With his teammates behind him, Keenum is looking forward to taking the next step in his NFL journey.

“I've been on a lot of sides of the quarterback position in this business,” Keenum said. “I've been named the starter after a guy gets injured or whatever it is. I've been a backup for a while, been replaced as a starter. I've been a No. 4 on one team and then started the next week with another team.”

“I've kind of been through it all,” Keenum continued. “You have to be ready when you get a chance, and I'm ready.”

ROSTER MOVES

Aside from the switch at quarterback, the Rams made a few roster moves to bolster the depth of their offensive line.

As Fisher previously announced would be the case, rookies Jamon Brown and Darrell Williams were placed on injured reserve on Tuesday. Isaiah Battle was also promoted from the practice squad to the active roster.

The Rams added two additional offensive linemen to the active roster as well. The first, Brian Folkerts is a St. Louis-area native and was signed off the 49ers’ practice squad. The second, Eric Kush, was claimed off waivers from Houston.

“[Folkerts] was really excited to come here and go down the street and live with mom and dad, I guess. So, that worked out good for us,” Fisher said. “Then, yesterday afternoon, the Texans waived Eric Kush. Eric’s got some center ability, some great feet. So, we claimed him today off the waiver wire. So, that was good and we’re moving people around.”

To make room on the 53-man roster, St. Louis waived defensive tackle Doug Worthington.

On the practice squad, the Rams released defensive end Gerald Rivers and added guard David Arkin.

Fisher said more moves may be coming as the week continues.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Lots and lots of moving parts going on this week after the crippling implosion last week. That's really good to see. Glad Fisher isn't sitting idle and is getting this team back on track after a tremendous amount of adversity.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams added two additional offensive linemen to the active roster as well. The first, Brian Folkerts is a St. Louis-area native and was signed off the 49ers’ practice squad. The second, Eric Kush, was claimed off waivers from Houston.

Gee. The last Olineman Boudreau got to work with that came off the 49ers practice squad was Harvey Dahl. Hope he can do it again.

fancents86

Starter
Didn't know we required Gerald Rivers again? I liked him in the one game he was in a couple years ago. I know it's an extremely small example but I just typing out loud over here, lol.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Have you guys watched any of these pressers? This team is pretty emotional right now. Two hard losses and their beloved QB getting benched has this team clearly wounded.

I am a believer winning cures all, however. (y)

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Case Keenum: I’m Ready, I’m Excited for My Chance

Quarterback Case Keenum talks about being named the starting quarterback.

Watch Keenum's Presser

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keenum now front and center as Rams QB
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6736f72e-226b-51ea-80fb-5fe947a83e31.html

Backup quarterbacks don’t do many interviews, so with a sense for the moment, Case Keenum spelled out his name — first and last — for the assemblage of reporters Tuesday at Rams Park.

“In case you were wondering,” he said, smiling.

And when backup quarterbacks do in fact get interviewed, the PR staff doesn’t hurriedly put up a team backdrop behind them. As of Monday, however, Keenum no longer is the backup quarterback. So yes, he got the full backdrop treatment for his media session following Tuesday’s practice.

Welcome to the backdrop, Case.

“Yeah, I made it,” Keenum said. “Is this where I stand?”

The Rams certainly hope Keenum knows where to stand Sunday in Baltimore. They need him to stand tall in the pocket — all 6-1 of him. And when that’s impossible, they hope he can use his legs to maneuver out of trouble and help rescue their 31st-ranked offense and 32nd-ranked passing game.

“I’m ready,” Keenum said. “I’ve been prepared, and that’s what I do every week is I get ready to play. I’m excited for my chance. I really am. I’m excited to go out there and compete again.

“You don’t get many chances to play in this league. I definitely count it as a blessing, and to have a second chance to come out and compete is incredible.”

Actually, it’s more than a second chance. If the former University of Houston Cougar were a cat, he’d be well on his way to nine lives. bouncing on and off the rosters — both 53-man and practice squad — of the Houston Texans and Rams since entering the league in 2012. He has been cut, signed, traded, promoted, demoted.

“I’ve been on a lot of sides of the quarterback position in this business,” Keenum said. “I’ve been named the starter after a guy that gets injured. Been a backup now for while. Been replaced as a starter.

“I’ve been a No. 4 guy on one team, and then starting the next week for another team. So I’ve kinda been through it all.”

So he can empathize with what Nick Foles, the man he has replaced in the starting lineup, is going through.

“Nick’s one of my best friends,” Keenum said. “I have the utmost respect for Nick. That’s the first person I talked to after Coach Fisher told us (about the QB switch). We have a great relationship and I have his back no matter what.

“Nobody cares more about this team, loves the guys on this team, respects the guys on this team more. ... Just one of the best guys I know.”

As an example, Keenum said Foles gave the squad an impassioned speech at the team meeting Saturday night on the eve of the Chicago game.

“It moved me,” Keenum said. “One of the best I ever heard pregame. Everybody in this locker room knows how much he cares about this team, and nobody has a doubt in him as a player or a person.”

But it’s the Keenum show now. Whether the Rams make something of this season or fall short of the playoffs for the 11th consecutive season, depends largely on whether he can provide a spark to the offense.

It’s a tall task considering Keenum had yet to take even a regular-season practice snap with the starting offense — not one — until this week. That’s in nearly 1½ seasons with the Rams. In theory, he knows the playbook as well as anyone at Rams Park. Now he must apply that knowledge in “real life” if you will.

“I try to visualize when I’m not playing,” Keenum said. “I try to prepare like I am (playing). My routine is quite similar. I try to prepare and be the most mentally ready that I can be every time I step on the practice field.

“Now, instead of sitting back there visualizing it, doing fake reps on air, I get the real reps. Which is a whole lot better than sitting back there ‘on air’ doing that.”

Keenum already has a good rapport with offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti, dating back to last season.

“We talked a lot of ball,” Keenum said. “Not even our offense last year; just kind of ball in general. So kinda getting on the same page with him. We think a lot alike.”

They spent a lot of time working together last year before games — just Cignetti and Keenum out on the field early working some individual stuff on game days. When a quarterback can see the game plan and see the opposing defense through the coordinator’s eyes, that’s a good first step.

“What we liked about Case is the game’s not too fast for him,” Cignetti said during camp. “He processes information very well. Very smart. He’s a rhythmic passer. Very accurate.”

Fisher liked what he saw of Keenum so much that he traded a seventh-rounder to Houston to get him back last March after the Texans had signed him off the Rams’ practice squad last December.

“What we saw in Case here on the practice field was special,” Fisher said. “His instincts, his mobility, his arm strength, his anticipation. Mind you, it was just practice, it was running scout team.

“When he got to go two-minute against the defense, it was there. And he’s won games. He’s proven it. He’s won games in Houston with a team that had significant injuries around him, and found ways to win games.

“So we’re gonna trust his mobility, and his ability to extend plays and things, and just give us an offensive spark that we need.”

Part of the challenge is establishing as much chemistry and rapport with the starting receivers as possible in a compressed time frame. Keenum hasn’t thrown much to the Rams top receivers since training camp.

“I’ve seen Case ball before,” tight end Jared Cook said. “He brings a pretty good change-up into the lineup. Runs a little bit. Different trajectory on the ball, the way it comes out. He’s a little bit shorter than Nick. So we’ll see.”

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I’ve seen Case ball before,” tight end Jared Cook said. “He brings a pretty good change-up into the lineup. Runs a little bit. Different trajectory on the ball, the way it comes out. He’s a little bit shorter than Nick. So we’ll see.”

First Bradford, then Foles, I hope Case doesn't suffer the "Jared Cook stamp of approval" curse. They gotta stop asking that guy about QBs.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I've been pretty wounded this week after that dung ball bounced around the EJD Sunday. But now my twisted mind has new hope in the form of Case Keenum. Carry us to the promised land Case!!!(y)