Noteboom, Allen making 'really encouraging' progress at Rams camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_12829592.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 8 hours ago

Replacing two players on the offensive line who played more than 1,000 snaps each last season will not be easy. Yet, that’s the task the Los Angeles Rams are faced with entering 2019.

Fortunately, they already have two young players in line to take over for Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan at left guard and center. In fact, they’ve had them on the roster for more than a year.

Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen were drafted in the third and fourth rounds, respectively, in 2018. Neither played very much in the regular season, but they’re both on track to become Week 1 starters for the Rams.

Sean McVay liked their talent and potential as draft picks a year ago, but they’ve already made so much progress since coming into the NFL. McVay is impressed by how far they’ve come and seems pleased by the way Noteboom and Allen have performed in camp.

“I think they’ve done a really nice job up to this point,” McVay said Tuesday. “We’ve been intentional about trying to challenge them and our defense does a great job of mixing up some different looks, different personnel groupings and really designed to try and stress those guys. Clearly, we’ve got some great players inside that physically will stress our guys, but I think just the way that they’re building one day at a time has been really encouraging. There’s a reason why we took them the way that we did and this is kind of was the plan all along and we’re hopeful to kind of see that through.”

Saffold was one of the best guards in the NFL last season, while Sullivan provided valuable experience and chemistry on offense, particularly with Jared Goff. His ability to identify defenses and work with Goff was often overlooked, but not by coaches.

McVay is excited about the connection Goff is building with Allen in practice as the two try to pick up where Sullivan left off a season ago.

“I think Jared and Brian seem to have a really good rapport,” McVay said this week. “The best part about it is those things happen organically because they enjoy each other, and I think there’s a mutual respect that exists. We’ve been really pleased with that. You look at what a great job (former Rams center) John Sullivan did for us the last couple of years – how smart he was. For Brian to be able to see the way John led and the way that he interacted with Jared I think is such a great example of what it looks like to do it right. Brian’s one of those guys that we’re hopeful will take those steps.”

The play of Noteboom and Allen will have a big role in the overall success of the offense this season, which cannot be stated enough. This is a huge year for the young linemen.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...eph-noteboom-brian-allen-sean-mcvay-progress/

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm starting to believe Brian Allen will be a big upgrade with our rushing game, too early to tell in PassPro yet. Noteboom may be a push at best at LG, although i'm thinking he should do fairly well in PassPro, not sure how he'll perform as a rush blocker.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lets see how they do today vs the Chargers scrimmage. According to De Silva, the Rams have today off, so I guess I'll be the only one posting a report.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm starting to believe Brian Allen will be a big upgrade with our rushing game, too early to tell in PassPro yet. Noteboom may be a push at best at LG, although i'm thinking he should do fairly well in PassPro, not sure how he'll perform as a rush blocker.
Agree !

I am sure we will see some misreads & miscommunication events early but I see a healthier stronger nastier blocking center in 2019. This is sure to pay off in the long run the next 3 seasons for Goff & the Rams offense.

The real questions ongoing @ center is not about Brian Allen.....its which OL'er prospect will end up being Kromer's reserve center. Arron Neary or Vitas Hrynkiewicz or Brandon Hitner or Jeremiah Kolone? Or will Austin Blythe get beat out by Demby or Edwards or Evans @ starting RG & he becomes our 2019 reserve OC.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree !

I am sure we will see some misreads & miscommunication events early but I see a healthier stronger nastier blocking center in 2019. This is sure to pay off in the long run the next 3 seasons for Goff & the Rams offense.

The real question ongoing @ center is not Allen.....its which OL prospect will be our reserve center.

Agreed: definitely more physical at Center in the run game. No doubt there. Only concern with him is the protections side, but with Goff a year wiser and him having all that practice time last season we should be just fine.

Boom gives up some physicality vs Saff of course, I mean Saff has grown into a beast in the run game, but should be right there with him in pass pro.

OL are weird though. Will they be a better unit? I do think there's a real chance they improve as a group, it just might take a little bit for them all to settle in.