Not trying to be antagonistic…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA1980

UDFA
Genuinely don’t understand the (Rams twitter, mainly) sentiment that it would be great to keep Thomas brown and by extension, bad to lose him. Coen & Cranberry got booted at least in part because the offense sucked, injuries or no, and Brown would seem to me to be in that ballpark. He could have been promoted to OC if he was valued as such. Basically, seems to me he’s just a guy. Rather have the draft picks if he got hired away (does that apply to coordinator promotions?). Just a thought.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Genuinely don’t understand the (Rams twitter, mainly) sentiment that it would be great to keep Thomas brown and by extension, bad to lose him. Coen & Cranberry got booted at least in part because the offense sucked, injuries or no, and Brown would seem to me to be in that ballpark. He could have been promoted to OC if he was valued as such. Basically, seems to me he’s just a guy. Rather have the draft picks if he got hired away (does that apply to coordinator promotions?). Just a thought.
Picks only go to minorites becoming Head Coaches or GMs.

I like Thomas Brown, I think McVay wants him to get a chance to call plays and really show his value. When we hired that new RB coach the running game went down, but when Brown took back over mid season it took back off and looked much better.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First it's hard to run a team when we have to replace as many coaches due to poaching as we do yearly without firing everybody that fans dislike.

Second Coen went back to college of his own accord for all we know for chances to be an actual OC not McVay's puppet. He's actually going to call plays and install his own offense.

Third Brown has actually done a good job with the talent McVay has given him at RB, IMO.

Fourth McVay has yet to promote an OC/DC from within.

Last we don't get any comp picks if he's promoted to OC it's only for head coaches or GM's.

LA1980

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First it's hard to run a team when we have to replace as many coaches due to poaching as we do yearly without firing everybody that fans dislike.

Second Coen went back to college of his own accord for all we know for chances to be an actual OC not McVay's puppet. He's actually going to call plays and install his own offense.

Third Brown has actually done a good job with the talent McVay has given him at RB, IMO.

Fourth McVay has yet to promote an OC/DC from within.

Last we don't get any comp picks if he's promoted to OC it's only for head coaches or GM's.
1) fair.
2) nonsense. He left Kentucky calling his own plays. He clearly sucked and McVay said, yeah, bro, go back.
3) fine. But nothing special based on results. Which doesn’t mean he was responsible one way or the other, but people act like it would be a blow to lose him. No reason for that attachment.
4) so? If brown was amazing and impressive McVay would be like, man, wish we could promote him, but we just don’t work that way. Too bad, good luck in Carolina!
5) too bad.

LA1980

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Picks only go to minorites becoming Head Coaches or GMs.

I like Thomas Brown, I think McVay wants him to get a chance to call plays and really show his value. When we hired that new RB coach the running game went down, but when Brown took back over mid season it took back off and looked much better.
No problem if he stays, and all things considered, probably best. Just don’t get the sentiment that it would be big loss. Anyway, everything is skewed by injuries last year, so we’ll see if he shows out with health next.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2) nonsense. He left Kentucky calling his own plays. He clearly sucked and McVay said, yeah, bro, go back.
In your opinion maybe. McVay said they were working on keeping Coen but it was his call to leave. The offense is McVay's the personnel decisions are McVay if the offense sucked the first person to look at is McVay. Position coaches are responsible for coaching up their players but the overall offense is squarely on one person. He needs to fix things and he's taken responsibility for his side of the balls failings.

Psycho_X

Legend
He could have been promoted to OC if he was valued as such. Basically, seems to me he’s just a guy.

No problem if he stays, and all things considered, probably best. Just don’t get the sentiment that it would be big loss. Anyway, everything is skewed by injuries last year, so we’ll see if he shows out with health next.
Coaching wise I think losing Brown would be a loss. How big idk until we know the replacement if it happens. But this past season there was an obvious issue with Akers and the run game in general UNTIL they put Brown back in charge of it. We'll probably never know why and a lot does have to do with oline consistency. But Akers sudden leave of absence and us trying to trade him shows there was definitely a problem he had with the way the run game was being coached. In comes Brown back to his original position with us as RBs coach and everything seemed to go back to relative normalcy and Akers had one of the best stretches of his short career.

So I certainly would like to keep Brown because it appears he is a good coach and Akers runs his best with him overseeing him. Now, being a good coach and being able to design an entire offense and call plays are two completely different skill sets imo. So using the fact that we didn't promote him to OC as some kind of evidence against him being a good coach is flawed.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I feel the same toward Thomas Brown as I do Raheem. I have no problem with him staying and if he leaves that's fine too. Having a little continuity at some of these coaching positions will be nice after all the poaching in the past few years.