Not so sure after yesterday all you need is a QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I watched, most of the Championship games yesterday and I came to the conclusion, it appears that the Packers, Seahawks, Colts, and Patriots are coached by excellent football minds....I mean the level of planning by the Pats, Packers & even the Seahawks was extraordinary....The Seahawks were more grilled to never quit, but still some of the execution on the plays, especially their running game....I'm not sure if it's the read option or what that makes that team go offensively...They appear to have very average players besides Lynch...And of course Russell Wilson.....Their defense was phenomenal in holding Aaron Rodgers under 200 yards...the Pack had a great defensive game plan as well...The Patriots are the best coached team in professional sports...oops, forgot about the Spurs, but the Pats have been doing it longer...
My point, would we even have a chance to advance to the Super Bowl if we were even in the playoffs? Are we coached by a staff even in the same league as Carroll the motivator? Much less Bill "I'll show Don Shula" Belichick? I'm not so sure after watching those games yesterday......

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I watched, most of the Championship games yesterday and I came to the conclusion, it appears that the Packers, Seahawks, Colts, and Patriots are coached by excellent football minds....I mean the level of planning by the Pats, Packers & even the Seahawks was extraordinary....The Seahawks were more grilled to never quit, but still some of the execution on the plays, especially their running game....I'm not sure if it's the read option or what that makes that team go offensively...They appear to have very average players besides Lynch...And of course Russell Wilson.....Their defense was phenomenal in holding Aaron Rodgers under 200 yards...the Pack had a great defensive game plan as well...The Patriots are the best coached team in professional sports...oops, forgot about the Spurs, but the Pats have been doing it longer...
My point, would we even have a chance to advance to the Super Bowl if we were even in the playoffs? Are we coached by a staff even in the same league as Carroll the motivator? Much less Bill "I'll show Don Shula" Belichick? I'm not so sure after watching those games yesterday......

I think it's the HC/QB combo that is the difference in the NFL. If you have those two things you're going to win a lot and have chances to advance in the playoffs and get to/win the SB.

You mention the Spurs and IMO that's as close as you can get to HC/QB in the NBA. The Big Fundamental and Pop always gave that team a shot to win it all, the other pieces changed a lot over the years, but not those two.

This is true with dynasties in the NFL. The two constants are HC/QB. I'm not saying the other parts are ALL interchangeable so don't get me wrong there. But if you don't have both of those you aren't going very far. Every dynasty I can recall has that in common, many of them Hall of Fame guys too. They ride each other to the HOF you could say.

The Patriots this year are different from the Patriots we have seen for the last several years, or at least in their last 2 SB losses. Their defense is the real deal right now, and if they slow down Lynch they will win IMO.

EDIT
I have to say the Seahawks are the best tackling team I have seen since the Ravens great defense. Every great D tackles well, and those guys just wrap up and take down like nobodies business.

Athos

Legend
.I mean the level of planning by the Pats, Packers & even the Seahawks was extraordinary

After yesterday's debacle, you can take the Packers out of that. I'm fully convinced McCarthy is nothing more than a smoke and mirrors guy who's ineptitude is usually covered up by Aaron Rodgers greatness.

I have to say the Seahawks are the best tackling team I have seen since the Ravens great defense. Every great D tackles well, and those guys just wrap up and take down like nobodies business.

Grudgingly agree. They usually don't miss their tackles and usually hit hard too. Wish Fisher would teach that kind of disciplined execution.

-------

All that said, a stout, top 5 defense and a beastly RB will win you more games/keep you in enough games to win, than they won't.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think Fisher can lead this team to the promised land if he can hire the right OC. On the defensive side of the football the Rams have the staff and player talent to get to the Rams to Super Bowl with an average or slightly above average offense. The Rams also have the special teams talent and an excellent Coordinator in place. The final pieces are the OC and the QB, they are the big unknowns along with stabilizing the O line. I would like to see some draft capital invested in the offensive line but the line does not have to be dominant for the Rams to get over the hump. Look no farther than Seattle as proof that you do not need a dominate O-line to get there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know.
I come away from this weekend thinking that if Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck played for the Rams, there wouldnt be a team in the league that could beat them

With enough luck you can do anything. Doing it consistently year in year out is what separates the good from the great.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After yesterday's debacle, you can take the Packers out of that. I'm fully convinced McCarthy is nothing more than a smoke and mirrors guy who's ineptitude is usually covered up by Aaron Rodgers greatness.

Grudgingly agree. They usually don't miss their tackles and usually hit hard too. Wish Fisher would teach that kind of disciplined execution.

-------

All that said, a stout, top 5 defense and a beastly RB will win you more games/keep you in enough games to win, than they won't.

You may be right about McCarthy, and if so it wouldn't be the first time a QB in Green Bay made someone famous and rich and appear very smart. Favre made Holmgren look like he was really smart and as we all know that turned out to be pretty far from the truth. He landed that gig in CLE and got 8 mil a year to be a bumbling idiot.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I agree with the OP. Takes more than just a QB (duh). Coaching is paramount in a league where margin of error is so small. It is all about matchups, and the stupid fucking purtiots seem to always have their guys in the right place/situation for the play call on offense and defense. I think a LOT of that has to do with that Ernie Adams Rain Man mother fucker in the booth BTW.

McCarthy was awful yesterday. Just awful. Same with a LOT of the players. So many boneheaded plays in the last 5 mins for the Pack. They did NOT deserve to win that game....and they didn't.

MrMotes

Starter
I agree with the OP. Takes more than just a QB (duh). Coaching is paramount in a league where margin of error is so small. It is all about matchups, and the stupid freaking purtiots seem to always have their guys in the right place/situation for the play call on offense and defense. I think a LOT of that has to do with that Ernie Adams Rain Man mother freaker in the booth BTW.

McCarthy was awful yesterday. Just awful. Same with a LOT of the players. So many boneheaded plays in the last 5 mins for the Pack. They did NOT deserve to win that game....and they didn't.

It's not a coincidence that the W/L stat is kept for QB's and HC's. They're both extremely important to the bottom line, more so than anyone else on the team...

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
All the Packers needed was a couple of first downs. Running the ball for no gain or a lost 2 times in a row doesn't exactly set up 3rd and manageable.

Also I don't think Bostick was a good choice on the hands team.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm lukewarm about our staff. I would be afraid to change it because I know we could do worse. We have done worse before they cams. A lot worse.

The only thing that rubs me wrong is how we keep hearing the team is getting better and there's more talent across the board. Yet, the most important stat of all says we got worse.

Yeah, I know there's plenty of excuses for that. But you know what? All bad teams have their excuses while the losses keep piling up. And we have been no different for over a decade.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
It's about having your guys coached up, where if given the chance, can execute what's been coached to them. And then have them execute it.
The Packers yesterday, have certainly made many wonder about what they were coached. The interception was one that if he had continued his return could have put GB in position to end the game instead of an Oakland Raiders type celebration before the game was up. And then had a guy on the "hands team" that didn't understand his job (" I was only in there to block...." Well then why in the f***, did you try to field the ball?!?!?) and in not doing what he was supposed to, opened the door for their opponent to take control of the game. McCartney played not to lose and did anyway.
And then to hear that blowhard (Seattle WR) after the game try to convince America it was because "they" never give up..........You would if you would have been down 3 scores w/ 5 minutes to go.

Now, do our guys get coached up. I would say yes. Can they execute once they are in position to? .....sometimes.....kinda......maybe......ok they're getting better......

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No doubt this game is a team sport and requires multiple disciplines from FO to special team to all come together to be a competitive organization.

Yesterday's GB Seattle game should that even with lots of turnovers and good play in most of those disciplines a couple of breaks the right way can turn a game back in your favor.

The non player part of our team has been changing and developing the roster here from the dregs of the worst team in NFL history. I believe they have enough knowledge and talent to build a contending team. The performance on the field comes down to executing what they have been taught. But there are other factors that come in to play one hat has been a problem for the Rams and showed in the GB Seattle game is injury.

Something that is unpredictable and appears to be nothing more than luck. What I cannot understand is how it affects some teams more than others. NE seems to go through players with little change in their team performance. Seattle did not have their starting RT yesterday, GB has been hobbled by Rodger's calf injury. But somehow those teams have been able to progress through the playoffs to the highest levels.

It has to be more than luck doesn't it? One botched play by a guy who was supposed to be blocking on an on sides kick was only part of a collapse in a game that by all accounts GB should have won. But if he had caught the ball no one would have known he was just supposed to be blocking.

Luck or the lack of it has a lot more to do with the outcomes of these games than we want to believe.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
s much as I hate to give Tom Brady any credit, I can't help it. The OP's position is actually lessened by including the Patriots Coaching vs just getting a QB. Tom Brady is a coach himself. He will not put up with WR's screwing up..He'll call them out, and I think the younger guys respect the hell out of him. Without Tom Brady, Bellicheat would have been fired, long ago...jmo