Not going to panic, in fact, I expect him to play some, but it's a concern

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Why be worried? I think it is more a strength if the #2 pick cant crack the starting line up, the starters must be doing pretty well, but GR will continue to improve where as the vets are already playing at or near their peak.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Robinson is fine. Anyone who watched him in pre-season would know. When he gets his hands on someone it's over. To suggest J Smith 2.0 is absurd. His technique still needs some slight tweaking, but he's getting there fast. I would imagine the only reason he's not getting the start is the playbook. It has nothing to do with his talent. The Rams just need to focus him at guard the rest of the year, so he can learn the PB and start playing without thinking. Once he gets to that point the sky is the limit.

Edit: Lets remember the offense he ran at Auburn, and the offense he's learning now too.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Robinson battles through growing pains as Saffold shifts again

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_40ed7a62-f2f3-5bf7-b589-7e91bf03922c.html

Rams offensive lineman Greg Robinson has experienced some growing pains in preparation for his first NFL season. Or, as fourth-year pro Rodger Saffold calls it, “mental gymnastics.’’

“Physically, there’s no question he can handle it,’’ Saffold said. “But right now, he’s having a tough time with understanding the offense and the big picture of the defense. It’s something most guys go through. It takes time. It takes experience.

“He’s got the tools and he’s working hard. Believe me, once he gets it, he’ll be fine.’’

Even as the Rams selected Robinson, a 6-foot-5, 332-pound road-grader from Auburn, with the No. 2 overall draft pick in May, some critics viewed Texas A&M’s Jake Matthews as a better choice because of his bloodlines and experience in the pro-style game.

Matthews, the son of Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, went sixth overall to the Atlanta Falcons.

But the Rams’ choice of Robinson was not just about finding a starter for the season-opening game in 2014; it was about adding a player who can dominate for years to come.

And that’s why the Rams opted for Robinson, who provides a unique combination of size, skill and athletic ability.

Robinson, who will celebrate his 22nd birthday in October, worked at left tackle and left guard through training camp and started three of four preseason games. He’s had some issues with pass protection, which isn’t all that surprising when you consider that Auburn ran the ball 729 times while passing just 285 — that’s nearly 72 percent of the time — last year while advancing to the BCS title game.

Robinson was replaced by Saffold to start the third preseason game but still ended up leading the team in offensive snaps.

“They said I’ve been making too many mistakes and that the real bullets were about to start flying,’’ Robinson explained about not starting. “It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. I feel like I’m making progress and if I continue to keep getting better, I’ll be fine.

“When the opportunity presents itself, I pray I’ll be ready.’’

Fortunately the Rams don’t have to force-feed Robinson. As long as they’re healthy, the probable starting combination of Jake Long at left tackle, Saffold at left guard, Scott Wells at center, Davin Joseph at right guard and Joe Barksdale at right tackle is strong, talented and experienced.

“I’d feel a little better if the No. 1’s had gotten a little more game time together, but overall I like what we have here,’’ Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said, noting the depth provided by Robinson, Tim Barnes, Mike Person and Barrett Jones. “Because of the injuries, we’ve been forced to use a bunch of different combinations, so now we don’t have to spend time cross-training them.

“But what I really like about this group is the way it communicates.’’

Saffold said communication within the line is crucial.

“You need to have a feel for each other, especially when you’re bouncing off blocks and trying to adjust to stunts,’’ he said. “Knowing how the guy on your right and your left is going to react makes all the difference in the world.’’

Saffold, 26, can relate to the struggles that Robinson is experiencing. Drafted with the initial pick of the second round in 2010, he started out at left tackle, shifted to right tackle and was ticketed for right guard this fall before being shifted again.

“I’ve got it all down now, except center. Please, no center,’’ he joked. “The move from tackle to guard was tricky because you’re using different footwork, different techniques. But between Jake and Scottie, we’ll be fine.’’

Saffold’s challenge has more to do with health than anything else. He played in all 16 games just once, as a rookie, and has lost time in previous seasons with shoulder, pectoral, knee and neck issues. This preseason, he was slowed by a shoulder stinger and then a sprained ankle.

“I can’t seem to catch a break. I’m just minding my own business, blocking, and — BAM — I get hit,’’ he said, referring to the ankle injury that forced an early exit from a preseason win in the Cleveland game. “But I came right back.’’

Ironically, it was a supposed injury that kept Saffold in St. Louis. In the offseason, he agreed to a five-year, $42.5 million deal with Oakland, only to have it voided when the Raiders said he failed the physical because of a torn labrum.

When the deal fell through, his agents made a quick call to the Rams, who were confident enough about Saffold’s health to come to an agreement on a five-year, $31.7 million contract.

The Rams stuck with Saffold and will do the same with Robinson, their projected left tackle of the future.

“We’ve asked a lot” of Robinson, Boudreau said. “He’s trying to learn two positions while also trying to figure out the NFL, the defenses, the terminology and the verbiage. The first couple of weeks, he was thinking too much, but now that he’s starting to settle in he’s able to just focus on playing the game.

“When he knows what to do and he’s doing it fast, he’s shown the ability to make some really freakish plays.’’

Robinson said the experience has been “up and down,’’ but he is trying to move forward.

“I’m not going to get down about anything,’’ he said. “It’s just a matter of mastering the techniques and developing that muscle memory. It’s all about knowing your alignment and your assignment.

“My focus is on learning every day and to just keep working to get better. I know if stick with it, I’ll eventually start playing football the way I know I can.’’

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
. To suggest J Smith 2.0 is absurd
I agree Username. I haven't actually read where anyone has made that comparison though, has it indeed been made or just used to defend GR? At any rate we are years away from writing the book on GR. When we do the title will be.
" My years as a Pro Bowl Tackle for the Super Bowl Champion Rams "

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
If you can find me another rookie who was asked to learn two different positions in their rookie season I am all ears.

i think the rams are more concerned with jake's comeback then with gr's abillity. why else would they have a player that is supposedly struggling in one position try to learn two.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Why be worried? I think it is more a strength if the #2 pick cant crack the starting line up, the starters must be doing pretty well, but GR will continue to improve where as the vets are already playing at or near their peak.

This^^

GRob will get plenty of snaps during extra point attempts. (y)