Not a big fan of hypotheticals, but...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
... what if we lose to the Whiners and go down big early (again)?

Hey, I think everyone here knows that I'm a total homer, but something tells me we need a major change in philosophy if we're going to make it to the next level of success. Losing might mean bigger changes sooner, while winning might justify the status quo.

I'm certainly mixed right now, but I'm no fan of the current Offensive and Defensive schemes we're running, and think that we're ultimately going to have to change them if we're going to compete for a playoff spot.

Discuss

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Re: Not a big fan of hypothetics, but...

I see what you mean.

If there is going to be a change it'll be DC before OC since Fisher is that kind of guy. That doesn't mean he is tone deaf to offense but he values a physical defense and we had that last year and it was getting better and this year it's not that way. The D is performing worse than the O overall and some of us, like me, thought the D was going to help keep games under control while the O gelled and that hasn't exactly been the case.

A couple of personnel decisions were maybe not the right ones too I dunno.

Thursday is a very winnable game. Home.......versus a hated rival with roster and execution problems while undergoing the SB hangover thingie means you're in the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I still stand by my opinion that the schemes will be fine if execution gets better. Bradford would have had a HUGE day against Arizona if Cook didn't drop that first TD pass. Same scheme. The defense can use some tweaking, and they'll probably play closer to the LOS and employ some more man against the 49ers, so that won't change much. Just execute better and everything will go back to normal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think it's too early to call for heads.

I am not a fan of what we've seen on D and O. But I'm willing to give Fisher the opportunity to adjust.

He needs to do it now, however. IMO.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I'm a little perplexed about the schemes but they really worked ok the first two weeks. Penalties and "no calls" against our opponents plus player miscues really derailed game plans. This past week.....WTF? The only thing that really bugs me is the soft coverage underneath that is resulting in free yardage and first downs against the D. I say tighten it up and take our lumps if they come. At least we'd know our true weakness on D then. Right now, I have no idea what's going on with our D??????

Memphis Ram

Legend

What I expected with the Fisher hire was more along the lines of what's going on in Seattle. A strong physical team on both sides of the football, but especially on defense.

It looked like they were headed that way last year, but now?

That said, I doubt that tomorrow's game will change much of anything either way.

But, I'd sure love to see Rex Ryan get the DC gig this offseason.

A55VA6

Legend

Something will HAVE to change if we play the same this week. I'm not necessarily saying change coaches or anything.. but change up the gameplan, the scheme, do something because it's obviously not working and everyone is taking advantage of what we are doing horribly.

And please, other than TJ McDonald and a couple others... can you please act like you want to tackle? I rewatched all 3 games this year and some guys effort to tackle was almost laughable, especially Finnegan. I expect more from these guys.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Memphis Ram said:
What I expected with the Fisher hire was more along the lines of what's going on in Seattle. A strong physical team on both sides of the football, but especially on defense.

It looked like they were headed that way last year, but now?

That said, I doubt that tomorrow's game will change much of anything either way.

But, I'd sure love to see Rex Ryan get the DC gig this offseason.

I wouldn't be opposed if he was willing to play ball, and use a 4-3.... I'm not sure how that would play out though. I haven't lost faith yet, if it was a scheme issue Fisher would step in.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CGI_Ram said:
I think it's too early to call for heads.

I am not a fan of what we've seen on D and O. But I'm willing to give Fisher the opportunity to adjust.

He needs to do it now, however. IMO.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Right. But my point is that a win delays any implementation of changes. And while I'd certainly like a win, it could be short term gain at the expense of long term loss.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
I still stand by my opinion that the schemes will be fine if execution gets better. Bradford would have had a HUGE day against Arizona if Cook didn't drop that first TD pass. Same scheme. The defense can use some tweaking, and they'll probably play closer to the LOS and employ some more man against the 49ers, so that won't change much. Just execute better and everything will go back to normal.
I hear ya, X, but I gotta say I'm mixed.

I realize you've put in a ton of time watching tape and analyzing the situation, but I'm also listening to Torry, Kurt, Coach Venturi and reading comments West Virginia offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson about how best to use Tavon (see <a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16834</a>), and I just hear them talking about schemes that are significantly different than what I see on the field.

But then again, if you're correct, and it is execution, then why are our players not executing well. It certainly doesn't seem to be a lack of talent anymore, so what's up? Doesn't is also fall back on the coaches for not having the players properly prepared to execute their assignments?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Stranger said:
X said:
I hear ya, X, but I gotta say I'm mixed.

I realize you've put in a ton of time watching tape and analyzing the situation, but I'm also listening to Torry, Kurt, Coach Venturi and reading comments West Virginia offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson about how best to use Tavon (see <a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16834</a>), and I just hear them talking about schemes that are significantly different than what I see on the field.

But then again, if you're correct, and it is execution, then why are our players not executing well. It certainly doesn't seem to be a lack of talent anymore, so what's up? Doesn't is also fall back on the coaches for not having the players properly prepared to execute their assignments?
Yes and no.

If the coaches are practicing the scheme, and the players are executing the plays they're going to implement that week, then why would they have cause for concern? The things they aren't executing aren't included in the playbook that week. So when they have a good practice (the scout team runs the opposing team's O and D), and everything looks fine, why would they be to blame for not preparing them? That's why you heard Fisher say he had no idea why the debacle in Dallas happened. He never saw any evidence of it.

For the record, I'm not completely sold on the defensive scheme either. I think it needs to be tightened up and more ways to pressure the QB should be implemented. I'm also not sold on Walton. His resume is not great. He didn't do wonders for Detroit's pass defense as secondary coach, and his time as DC a THE U was bad as well. In his last year they allowed over 300 points for the first time in 23 years prior to that point. I don't know what it is about him that Fisher loves, but I'm determined to find out. It's also telling that his first choice was Ryan.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I truly fail to see the logic of the benefit of a loss so we'll change schemes when a victory would indicate the scheme was working and would work.

If we need a change of schemes Fisher knows it far better than any of us, suggesting that he is slow to the party doesn't fly with me,just doesn't .

Man were 1-2 not 1-8 not 1-15 , step away from the panic button please.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Thordaddy said:
If we need a change of schemes Fisher knows it far better than any of us, suggesting that he is slow to the party doesn't fly with me,just doesn't .
No truer words were ever spoken. It's completely inconceivable that the fans and the Bernies of the world have it all figured out, and a 17 year veteran HC with tons of DC experience can't see it from his vantage point of 10 feet away from the action at all times. Something just isn't translating from practice to game day. But, that said, I'm pretty confident that he has Walton under a microscope after last week. His leash just got a lot shorter, I'd imagine.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

X said:
Thordaddy said:
No truer words were ever spoken. It's completely inconceivable that the fans and the Bernies of the world have it all figured out, and a 17 year veteran HC with tons of DC experience can't see it from his vantage point of 10 feet away from the action at all times. Something just isn't translating from practice to game day. But, that said, I'm pretty confident that he has Walton under a microscope after last week. His leash just got a lot shorter, I'd imagine.
Well here I go spouting off about a game I don't want to predict for fear of jinxing it, but San Frans deep speed scares no one and I can see us playing them tighter than the Fitzgeralds,Dez Bryants and Julio Jones's.

FWIW they love ya win or win.

had

Rookie

Stranger said:

Hey, I think everyone here knows that I'm a total homer, but something tells me we need a major change in philosophy if we're going to make it to the next level of success. Losing might mean bigger changes sooner, while winning might justify the status quo.

I'm certainly mixed right now, but I'm no fan of the current Offensive and Defensive schemes we're running, and think that we're ultimately going to have to change them if we're going to compete for a playoff spot.

Discuss

I do not think there will be a major change in philosophy, regardless of the outcome of the game tomorrow.

I think you have to buckle up, and hope for the best.

If the Rams go down big (again), and lose, the team will be approaching free fall, much like the last 6+ seasons, and that is not what is wanted. That could lead to regime change.

I think what we want to see is the team get more aggressive. Small tweaks that get the players closer to making plays.

If the Rams win, you cannot, in my opinion. then question the tactics that delivered the win. You go with them. And you enjoy further success.

The alternative is wasted worrying.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

had said:
Stranger said:

Discuss

I do not think there will be a major change in philosophy, regardless of the outcome of the game tomorrow.

If the Rams go down big (again), and lose, the team will be approaching free fall, much like the last 6+ seasons, and that is not what is wanted. That could lead to regime change.

I think what we want to see is the team get more aggressive. Small tweaks that get the players closer to making plays.

If the Rams win, you cannot, in my opinion. then question the tactics that delivered the win. You go with them. And you enjoy further success.

See I completely disagree with that, a team this young can have all the confidence of ignorance IMO, they could go 1-5 and end up 9-7 , butI do agree that worrying is wasted.

had

Rookie

had said:

See I completely disagree with that, a team this young can have all the confidence of ignorance IMO, they could go 1-5 and end up 9-7 , butI do agree that worrying is wasted.[/quote]

I think i may have screwed up the quote brackets here, hopefully it's legible. I understand/can see why you'd think this young team could turn things around quickly. Certainly could be. The only 'but' i have is that where there's smoke, there's fire, and this thing is smoking like a 2011 Ram, if you know what i mean.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Back in 2008, I was all for losing OUT if it would assure us that Haslett would not become our next HC. But tomorrow's game is at HOME. There are 2 types of games that Fisher wants to be sure to win: Home and division games, and tomorrow is both. No one should be contemplating the value of a loss this early in the season, and most definitely not to the whiners in our own house.

You may think you're considering the big picture, but that's Fisher's job.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Let's boil it on down.

For me, for now, I trust in fisher.

His staff under him not so much. But I'm available for reconsideration.

For the talent on the team, there is great promise.

If it all falls apart with the 49's if...

wait, I have it, right here,

...sorry, it's late, I've taken my sleeping pill.