Norv Turner: Sam Bradford everything you look for in a quarterback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...impressed-with-new-qb-sam-bradford/394369851/

Hartman: Turner impressed with new Vikings QB Bradford
''He's everything you look for in a quarterback,'' Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner said of Sam Bradford.
By Sid Hartman

607660358-e1474555157146.jpg

Getty Images

Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner talked about the 2010 NFL draft, when Sam Bradford, the team’s new quarterback, was selected first overall by the Rams.

“I think he was a unanimous pick, and I think everyone had him rated there,” said Turner, who was head coach of San Diego in 2010. “I think the big thing was the great arm. You know, the quick release, make all the throws, he was an outstanding player in college.

“We evaluated all the quarterbacks. We weren’t in the market for drafting one that year, but if we would have, we’d have loved to have had him.”

Turner talked about what he has thought of Bradford so far, including his 22-for-31, 286-yard, two-touchdown performance in the victory over Green Bay on Sunday.

“Very impressed,” Turner said. “He’s everything you look for in a quarterback. I think he’s a great passer, and I think he makes great decisions. That combination is what you need in a good quarterback. He can change his delivery, and he can speed up when he needs to.

“He’s got great presence in the pocket. I coached a guy like that for six years in [San Diego’s] Philip Rivers. They play the game differently. They get rid of the ball quick, and they have great pocket presence.”

Although there was some early concern about how quickly Bradford could learn the Vikings system, coming in only one week before the start of the season, Turner said what he’s seen of Bradford put those worries to rest.

“What I see is a guy who’s very experienced,” he said. “He’s been around this league and he knows what it’s about and he knows how to prepare. He can still do it. He finished the last eight games last year and was very impressive.”

Turner also addressed the trade that brought Bradford to the Vikings

“It’s just a really unusual circumstance,” he said. “I don’t know if I’ve gotten over the situation we’re in, but it’s unbelievable to have the opportunity to get Sam here.”

The good news for the Vikings is that they still have Shaun Hill as a backup, whom Turner praised.

“He’s just Mr. Steady,” Turner said. “He is so consistent, he’s a pro, he’s been doing this quite a while. I coached him in 2006 in San Francisco, and I’ll tell you, he approached it the same way then, and that’s why he’s had a long career.”

• There was another big endorsement of Bradford by Vikings guard Alex Boone, who made the front page of USA Today with this quote: “That dude is one tough [expletive]. There was a couple times he got hit — I thought he was dead. He wasn’t moving, so I had to pick him up. I’m like, ‘Sam, don’t be dead.’
-------------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ord-everything-you-look-for-in-a-quarterback/

Norv Turner: Sam Bradford everything you look for in a quarterback
Posted by Josh Alper on September 22, 2016

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMHqVh-HHvQ

The Vikings have had no shortage of bad news on offense this year.

It started with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater’s knee injury and continued this week with running back Adrian Peterson’s torn meniscus and left tackle Matt Kalil heading to injured reserve because of a hip problem. One place where the news has been better is with quarterback Sam Bradford.

Acquired just before the start of the regular season in a trade, Bradford made his Vikings debut last Sunday with a strong game against the Packers in a 17-14 victory. Offensive coordinator Norv Turner liked that performance and likes everything else he’s seen from Bradford thus far.

With Peterson and Bridgewater out of the picture, the Vikings offense will have to plot a different course than the one they spent the offseason expecting to follow. Bradford is going to be essential to that course leading to a winning record so the Vikings will have to hope that Turner’s early read becomes a permanent one.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Hey norv, you like cali, right? We're moving there and would love for you to be our OC. Just text me a number that will make this happen and please accept this bottle of clinique acne solution as a token of commitment to seeing your bright smiley face in tinsel town.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I have a feeling this isn't going to go well for Teddy Bridgewater.
I think its a great spot for SB and think he will thrive there

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree with Norv for the most part.
Bradford is almost "everything you want in a Quarterback".

Dependability is an important trait and if he can ever play two seasons straight without missing multiple games, then he will be recognized as among the best and revisionist historians will wonder why we ever traded him....

I'm still a big Bradford fan and I think he will continue to play well in MN.

Question: If Sam plays great all year, which QB with a scary injury history do you commit to?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The vikes hired norv in 2014, from cleveland, when the rams already knew they were moving to LA, so yeah, I think think they could've done it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Turner and Bradford are a good fit. Getting away from the Rams was the best thing to happen to him. He never got quality coaching that focused on maximising his skill set.

One thing that sticks in my head that I read on a critique of Bradford and I agree with was that despite all of his skills he was never big enough for the moment. He couldn't overcome adversity and carry a team. I know he had crap game plans and rosters to work with but , I would think there would have been some signs displaying his leadership and ability to overcome. But, I never saw it. So, it will be interesting to see if he has developed to the point where he looks bigger than the moment, or if he simply playing on a better team with more weapons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The vikes hired norv in 2014, from cleveland, when the rams already knew they were moving to LA, so yeah, I think think they could've done it.

The Rams interviewed Dephillipi, Roman and Chudzinski and came away with Cignetti. My guess is that those experienced and successful OCs didn't want any part of Fisher's iron grip on the offense. I thought Turner was interviewed also. That is a bad sign for the Rams future, if no quality offensive coaches want to work under him.

We need Stan to repeat history and force the old school head coach to hire an up and coming OC that is a progressive thinker.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“Very impressed,” Turner said. “He’s everything you look for in a quarterback. I think he’s a great passer, and I think he makes great decisions. That combination is what you need in a good quarterback. He can change his delivery, and he can speed up when he needs to.

“He’s got great presence in the pocket. I coached a guy like that for six years in [San Diego’s] Philip Rivers. They play the game differently. They get rid of the ball quick, and they have great pocket presence.”
200w.gif
200w.gif
200w.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know about anyone else, but this picture is terrifying.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Norv Turner was everything you looked for in a Head Coach and he could not win big games!

WvuIN02

Starter
Norv was just always too much of a players coach. Guys who played under him said he just couldnt discipline when it was needed, so he has always made a great OC for a guy like that. Shame really, Goff would do great things with Norv. Instead we have a guy learning on the job.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm your worst nightmare! I'm MVP in the SUPER BOWL!
~Sam Bradford in a few months...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turner and Bradford are a good fit. Getting away from the Rams was the best thing to happen to him. He never got quality coaching that focused on maximising his skill set.

While I agree with the Rams coaching staff not being known for coaching up their QB's, it's pretty tough to do that when your QB is constantly injured. When it comes to Sam Bradford, it was the perfect storm of injuries and coaching incompetence that doomed Bradford's time with the Rams.

One thing that sticks in my head that I read on a critique of Bradford and I agree with was that despite all of his skills he was never big enough for the moment. He couldn't overcome adversity and carry a team.

Sam did well in his rookie season finishing with 354 completions out of 590 attempts and winning the 2010 Offensive Rookie of the Year award. But then came the final game at Seattle where we ended up losing 16-6 and getting knocked out of a playoff berth. Not all his fault because it is after all a team game, but still...

Now this is scary...

1*V0HTQ9Nu-M1MlefQ-fLwJg.jpeg

https://theringer.com/sam-bradford-minnesota-vikings-heat-check-9ddcbca39da2#.2gahs0xnt

Sam Bradford, Greatest QB of All Time and Franchise Savior, Is Doing It Again
Just remember, Vikings fans: We know how this will end
By Claire McNear

Have you heard the news? Sam Bradford has saved the Vikings’ season. In Sunday night’s 17–14 win over the Packers, the quarterback had what The MMQB’s Peter King described as his “best game as a pro,” completing 22 of 31 passes for 286 yards with two touchdowns.

He threw with accuracy,” wrote the Star Tribune‎’s Jim Souhan. “He threw deep with velocity. He threw with touch. He survived a poor performance by his offensive line. He succeeded without help from the running game. He thrived despite having only one receiver make big plays.”

He saved a cat from a tree. He adopted an orphan. He rescued grandma from a burning building. He inspired the entire Twin Cities metro area to step away from their Teddy Bridgewater shrines and start chanting SKOL! SKOL! SKOL!

Let’s get one thing straight: Sam Bradford isn’t a bad quarterback. When he’s healthy — which hasn’t been often, as he hurt his shoulder during his junior year at Oklahoma and then missed most of the 2013 season and the entire 2014 campaign with the Rams after twice tearing the ACL in his left knee — he’s … fine.

But he has a remarkable ability to cause otherwise sane scouts, coaches, fans, teammates, dog walkers, garbage collectors, librarians, etc., to collectively lose their shit. Time and again, he’s been anointed the Next Big Thing after showing brief flashes of promise, only to slip back to mediocrity just as cities finish erecting statues in his honor.

As the Vikings prepare for their all-but-certain run to the Super Bowl, let’s take a quick trip back through Bradford hype of yore.

At his 2010 pro day workout in front of all 32 teams, the 2008 Heisman Trophy winner dazzled. Sorry, that’s too muted a word — he prompted basically every coach and scout in attendance to reflexively begin tap dancing in place. He got the Rams staff, then holding the no. 1 overall pick, to lead a rendition of the can-can. He inspired Pete Carroll to write songs. He caused — and the fact that there are no witnesses does not make this untrue — a live-action rendition of Moulin Rouge! in the middle of a practice field.

“[H]e put on the best quarterback workout by a draft prospect that I’ve seen since I watched a private workout Troy Aikman put on for us with the Cowboys in California,” former Dallas vice president of player personnel Gil Brandt wrote at the time. NFL Network’s Mike Mayock called it “one of the best pro days he’s seen in six years.” ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay rated Bradford as the top overall QB pick with a score of 96. (McShay’s expanded commentary is curiously no longer available.)

So the Rams selected Bradford first overall, because duh. He was named the team’s starting quarterback before the 2010 season, and things went OK; he threw for 3,512 yards and led St. Louis to a 7–9 record, good enough to earn him the Offensive Rookie of the Year award. It seemed like there was more in store, and anyway, 7–9 is a nice and comfortable result in some parts of the country. What I’m trying to say is: Is Sam Bradford the next Tom Brady?

Then the 2011 season started and uh, well, the Rams didn’t win the Lombardi Trophy, if that’s what you’re asking. They went 2–14 and were bad in ways that weren’t entirely Bradford’s fault; he threw for 2,164 yards with six touchdowns and six interceptions as St. Louis worked its way to a league-worst average of 12.1 points per game.

He improved in 2012, and head coach Jeff Fisher announced that Bradford could be the best quarterback in the NFL. Then Bradford busted his knee, and came back and busted it again, and what do you know, it’s March 2015 and Bradford is suddenly headed to Philadelphia.

And baby, it’s time for the Eagles to win the Super Bowl.

As last season began, four Sports Illustrated writers projected that the Eagles would appear in the Super Bowl; three said they’d win it. Seven ESPN analysts had them as champs. Bradford, predicted Eagles beat writer Eliot Shorr-Parks, will “be considered the best quarterback in the NFC East at the end of the season, throwing for 30 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.” After the quarterback “went nuclear” against the Packers in the team’s third preseason game, it was safe to conclude that “putting Bradford in Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly’s offense certainly could be a dangerous mix for the rest of the NFL.” Philly was all in.

Hahahahahahahaha. Here is a brief list of verbs, with suggested nouns, to sum up the Eagles in 2015: flounder (Bradford), fizzle (season), fire (Kelly).

Minneapolis now marks Bradford’s third stop in his seven-year career, and once again, he has brought Bradford fever along with him. He did this on short notice, getting traded to the Vikings just eight days before the start of their season and six months after receiving a quantity of money that was widely considered “too much lol what are you crazy,” at least until the sweating and chills began.

So now he’s there, and even though his situation has become much tougher with Wednesday’s news that Adrian Peterson will undergo surgery to repair a torn meniscus and is expected to miss several months, who knows — maybe this time it’s for real.

Or maybe Sam Bradford is who he’s always been: a pretty decent, generally serviceable, injury-prone-but-overall-not-too-bad quarterback who will lead your team — if you catch him in a good year — to a pleasant enough 7–9 season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Biggest mistake fisher has made was not hiring norv

Wish I could give you 1000 likes. As soon as Norv became available he should have Tim Walton'ed him and hired Norv. Even with the Bradford injuries, we'd be in a better place with Goff coming in.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish the guy luck health wise but he is no longer a Ram . He did nothing in St Louis that makes me believe he going to be a great QB . Still has 0 pocket presence and folds up like an umbrella when under pressure. GO Rams

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I wish the guy luck health wise but he is no longer a Ram . He did nothing in St Louis that makes me believe he going to be a great QB . Still has 0 pocket presence and folds up like an umbrella when under pressure. GO Rams

He hasn't done that since he left the Rams. He continues to stay in the pocket and get crushed but completes passes.if he stays healthy he will have a career year in Mini

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wish I could give you 1000 likes. As soon as Norv became available he should have Tim Walton'ed him and hired Norv. Even with the Bradford injuries, we'd be in a better place with Goff coming in.
And I wish I could give you 1000 likes... You are on the money here