Non-highlight #1: "The overthrow"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's not even about him slowing up for me. It's about Keenum throwing the post when Britt never makes any move to the post. If he puts the ball out in front on a go, I think it's easier for Britt to track down after turning the jets on. It's obvious based on Fisher's comments that Britt didn't do what he was supposed to...but shouldn't the QB adjust when he sees that?
I don't think it's as apparent from the QB's position on the field. Hell - it's not even that apparent on film. We could go on and on and back and forth but there really is nothing to be gained. What we pretty much know though is that Britt didn't do what he was supposed to. We've all seen pretty much every QB in the league miss receivers who didn't do what they were supposed to.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's as apparent from the QB's position on the field. Hell - it's not even that apparent on film. We could go on and on and back and forth but there really is nothing to be gained. What we pretty much know though is that Britt didn't do what he was supposed to. We've all seen pretty much every QB in the league miss receivers who didn't do what they were supposed to.

Based on what I saw, it should have been apparent. Britt never cuts. Keenum holds the ball for awhile. What we know is that Britt didn't do what he was supposed to on the play. And that he was still wide open. Keenum failed to hit him. I can't absolve Keenum of the blame here. Part of playing QB is your ability to improvise when things don't go as planned.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on what I saw, it should have been apparent. Britt never cuts. Keenum holds the ball for awhile. What we know is that Britt didn't do what he was supposed to on the play. And that he was still wide open. Keenum failed to hit him. I can't absolve Keenum of the blame here. Part of playing QB is your ability to improvise when things don't go as planned.
Hitting on long ball throws takes an incredible amount of precision and I think the biggest mistake here is in taking the success we've had for granted.
Crap happens and while they suck, there are also other plays that don't hurt, when they could have
Britt wont be the last guy to not run out a route and it wouldn't shock me if he didn't think Keenum could overthrow him in any circumstance anyway....

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Who is to say that the defense wouldn't have reacted differently if he ran the route at full speed?
Exactly, and that of course affects the other reads as well. That's why wide receivers count on each other to go full out every play.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't object to throwing Keenum under the bus for a bad game, but was anyone here really expecting Peyton Manning to possess him for a game?

More to the point, right or wrong and I know you have your take on this, but I know Fisher expects a similar result from his other QBs standing in queue, so he knows he needs to get that cleaned up, and it's no surprise that he's calling his man Britt out on that play.

Threads like this are what I love about this forum, that people will analyze and discuss plays and strategies instead of perpetually throwing insults at the players coaches and each other.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't object to throwing Keenum under the bus for a bad game, but was anyone here really expecting Peyton Manning to possess him for a game?

More to the point, right or wrong and I know you have your take on this, but I know Fisher expects a similar result from his other QBs standing in queue, so he knows he needs to get that cleaned up, and it's no surprise that he's calling his man Britt out on that play.

Threads like this are what I love about this forum, that people will analyze and discuss plays and strategies instead of perpetually throwing insults at the players coaches and each other.

Peyton Manning? No. But I do expect him to not throw four interceptions (or three for that matter). Especially when he's standing between Goff and the playing field.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Peyton Manning? No. But I do expect him to not throw four interceptions (or three for that matter). Especially when he's standing between Goff and the playing field.
Yep, I didn't say that he wasn't at fault. Just saying why Fisher called out his ex Titan reclamation project for giving up on his route, which in my opinion is unacceptable no matter who your quarterback is.

I don't know if Keenum is standing between Goff and the playing field so much as Fisher, and I think that's your implication as well, because if he was, he'd obviously be continuing with the bar he set during his career high performance against the Lions. Rather, that's between Goff and Fisher, or maybe even another coach?

No idea, but four interceptions is absolutely unacceptable for a quarterback who's supposed to be a game manager.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Oh I'm sure he would have. He was only a step late.
It was the first half of the route that bothers me. The second half is twice as fast as the first.

That is probably why Collins thought Britt was running a crossing route. He was not as fast in the first part. If he was Collins probably stays right on him. But why does Keenum not recognize this and adjust his throw just a little? Doesn't he see Britt? If not then why throw to him? He has to have seen him. So it is still in inaccurate throw.

I think Britt was just angry at the missed opportunity.

And then we can ask, regarding Fisher's comments, why are his receivers not running hard just because they don't think they are the primary receiver? Shouldn't he impart to them that they run hard on every route or can leave? Does he coach them not to?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is probably why Collins thought Britt was running a crossing route. He was not as fast in the first part. If he was Collins probably stays right on him. But why does Keenum not recognize this and adjust his throw just a little? Doesn't he see Britt? If not then why throw to him? He has to have seen him. So it is still in inaccurate throw.

I think Britt was just angry at the missed opportunity.

And then we can ask, regarding Fisher's comments, why are his receivers not running hard just because they don't think they are the primary receiver? Shouldn't he impart to them that they run hard on every route or can leave? Does he coach them not to?
Regarding the first part of your post, Keenum did see Britt the whole time - he was locked on him. He was waiting on him to recognize that the post was the play. The safety was sitting on the crosser, which Britt was running at half-speed (it seemed). It was at that moment (IMO) that both of them recognize the opportunity is the deep post. Keenum saw it first, then Britt saw it late - which is why he turned his head and basically said, "oh shit!" and put it into 3rd gear. You can make the case that maybe it was overthrown, but you can also make the case that slow recognition of the play is what made it fail.

I don't know why he was dogging it on that play. Fisher was clearly upset about it too in his post-game presser. I mean he essentially called him out on it by saying he quit on the post. And you can bet your last dollar that he'll "impart that" on them in the meeting that followed. I'd also wager that they've been coached to run every route as though it's their number too. Sometimes players take plays off. I saw Terrell Owens do it his whole career (Randy Moss too), and they both had some very good coaches throughout their careers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Noticed too many of our receivers loafing on routes...whether they are the primary...or the secondary..or even if it's a running play....

Do any of these guys watch the stories of the players? Nobody heard of Jerry Rice....Montana doesn't get me...Young either...But Rice...Craig...and that damn Ricky Waters...those guys always seemed to go full speed...

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I could understand him pulling up if the ball was supposed to go somewhere else and he was preparing to get in on blocking for that guy. Not an excuse, still dumb. But if he whiffed a block when another guy got the ball we'd all be bitching about that too.

I have a hard time arguing (discussing, taking an opinion, whatever) about these things because everything could go at least two ways and there's no way to be happy. Oh well, at least there's want anything to be happy about anyway.