Nobody Outworks Rams LB James Laurinaitis. Just Ask Him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nobody Outworks Rams Linebacker James Laurinaitis. Just Ask Him.
Posted by: Brandt Dolce

http://www.101sports.com/2015/06/17/laurinaitis-chooses-lead-example/

Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis owns six seasons as a starter, taking the field for all 96 games since St. Louis took him in the second round of the 2009 draft.

Laurinaitis cops to being an elder statesman, a title which comes with added responsibility.

He relies on his teammates to help lead the younger players, but it’s an “Ask and ye shall receive.” policy.

“As far as age, myself and Jo-Lonn (Dunbar, OLB), Chris Long (DE), William Hayes (DE), we’re all the older guys now.” Laurinaitis said. “As far as the young guys, it’s kind of one of those approaches where it is if they ask questions, I’ll be right there to ask answer anything they have.”

Laurinaitis admits there could be a fear factor in young players to seek advice, but adds sometimes apathy is to blame.

“You kind of wait and see which ones are eager to learn. You have some that will ask a lot of questions, and I’m willing to help out.” Laurinaitis said. “And, you have some that are either afraid to ask questions, or they don’t want to know. You kind of gauge how much they want help.”

The Rams veteran says he’s encouraged by what he’s seen so far this preseason.

He advises young players to own up to any performance issues they face, noting the first step is correcting an issue is to admit the problem exists.

“I’m impressed with a lot of our rookies, especially our O-linemen. You can just tell they probably have a lot thrown at them right now.” Laurinaitis said. “They’re fighting back if they have a bad day. The fastest way you get yourself run out of the league is if you make the same mistakes over and over. To see them not making repeat mistakes is huge.”

Laurinaitis offered a self-evaluation on his body, following ankle surgery in the offseason. The linebacker admits to not being 100% for much of 2014.

“I feel great right now. I would say I feel better than last year, coming off the ankle surgery. I don’t even think about my ankle anymore. Last year was a lot of thinking about the ankle, thinking about my heel.”

St. Louis ranked 17th in total defense in 2014, at 351.6 yards per game. The improved health of the starting middle linebacker can improve that total. In addition to a subpar team output, Laurinaitis also had some individual difficulties, with zero interceptions and only 3.5 sacks.

The Ohio State alumnus’ motivation goes beyond poor health and statistical output of the past season. Laurinaitis’ father Joe, an accomplished professional wrestler, has given him advice that dates back to high school.

“He always said, ‘Nothing’s going to be given to you, always make sure you’re working harder than the next guy.'” Laurinaitis said.

“When I wanted to be lazy in high school, he would always say ‘Someone is always working for your position, that’s trying to get your scholarship.’”

Laurinaitis says he learned from his father’s work ethic, and he hopes to instill a similar mentality into his rookie and veteran teammates. He notes, in the NFL, there’s always a player looking to take your job.

“It’s probably one of the most unique things about our business. The guys in the linebacker room are friends, and we’re really close. But, we’re all realistic about there are only a certain number of spots for all of us.” Laurinaitis said.

Considering the veterans that call St. Louis home, roster spots are still up for grabs for the 2015 season.

Laurinaitis relies on his work ethic and positive attitude to negotiate the yearly turnover on the 53-man roster.

“Any time you bring guys in at all, people are trying to fight for positions. I’m never going to let anyone outwork me. Somebody may be more athletic, be more gifted naturally, so to speak. When it comes to work in the weight room and effort, I take a lot of pride in never being outworked.”

Laurinaitis says he’s even willing to help out a potential replacement, but that replacement won’t be necessary for some time.

“I’ve never been a guy that’s self-conscious about that stuff. I say, ‘If the kid has questions, I’ll give him all the answers he needs.’” Laurinaitis said. “If I’m the better player I’ll make it. If I’m not, I won’t. Simple as that. I’m confident in my own ability.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've always loved JL! I didn't realize he didn't have any INT's last year! I was sure he had at least 1! Maybe I'm thinking of FR's!