Nobody is really pumped to watch these Falcons in the Super Bowl?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...-up-to-watch-these-falcons-in-the-super-bowl/

HOUSTON -- The Patriots might have Deflategate, Roger Goodell and revenge on their minds as they prepare for Super Bowl LI. But they've hardly cornered the market on bringing a chip on the shoulder to the big game.

It might be true that Goodell would rather not see the Patriots here this week. But it's also true almost no one else -- sorry, Atlanta fans -- is burning to have the Falcons up against them.

This is not a knock on Atlanta. If anything, it's a knock on me -- and you -- for not seeing earlier, embracing now and getting fired up by Sunday for a Falcons team that is a force on offense and an absolutely worthy contender as the game's best football team.

And yet ... I can't. Can you? They sure can't here in Houston. And while the Falcons are clearly aware and channeling that grudge, it still makes them more blasé than captivating.

The buzz here for the NFC's champion remains painfully far from robust. At Opening Night, the vibe Monday during the Falcons' session was utterly flat. And the team, following suit, was every bit as boring and low-key as you would expect from a group that all season has been overlooked, underappreciated and -- even now -- mostly an afterthought.

There are several reasons for that. The Patriots are an amazing story -- the dynasty implications, the Goodell-Deflategate storyline, Tom Brady trying to win a fifth Super Bowl ring, never done by a quarterback, and even Bill Belichick and his growing mastery over the game.

But some of this has to do with a Falcons team that despite its high-powered offense is neither particularly interesting nor widely respected. Quarterback Matt Ryan -- the front-runner for this season's MVP -- perfectly encapsulates all of this.

Ryan has been in the league for nine seasons and over that time he has put together a Hall of Fame résumé. He is already 21st all-time in passing yards, 25th all-time in touchdown passes, 11th all-time in passer rating and 12th all-time in game-winning drives.

Add a Super Bowl win to that and he's a Hall of Fame player, period.

"I feel like he doesn't get enough credit because he hasn't won it yet, and I feel like that's just how it goes," Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce told me Tuesday. "This is his first time in the dance, with the success you get I feel like that's where your QB rankings go."

Even this season, as we've obsessed over Dak Prescott and Aaron Rodgersand Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, many of us have missed Ryan's extraordinary season.

He had 4,944 passing yards, second to Drew Brees by just 264 yards. But Ryan had 139 fewer attempts -- making him markedly more efficient. He averaged 9.3 yards per attempt, a full yard better than the next closest QB, Brady. He had 39 touchdowns, second only to Rodgers' 40.

His 117.1 QB rating was the best in the league, five points better than Rodgers.

And yet, at Monday night's televised circus of a media day, they threw this man on the stage with his opponent, Brady, and made him stand there awkwardly as the New England quarterback was asked what advice he had for Ryan.

Ugh.

"Matt doesn't need my advice," Brady said. "He's doing just fine by himself."

Nor, it turns out, does he need our respect. Nobody really wants his team here, but the Falcons couldn't care less. Few saw it coming, yet here they are. Most people think the Patriots are more or less a sure thing -- almost 70 percent of the betting public is putting its money down on the Patriots, even though they're three-point favorites.

Matty Ice might be boring, his Falcons not interesting and Atlanta utterly underwhelming here at sports' biggest event.

But that might not stop them from winning it all, and from Ryan quietly putting himself into sure-thing Hall of Fame territory.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know? Most people I know are rooting Atlanta.

The Patriots are like the Death Star to a lot of folks. :sneaky:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm pretty pumped for a Falcons win. So much that, I have my madden mobile team rocking Falcons jersey in support.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It's not a lack of interest in the Falcons per se, it's more of our waning interest in the NFL.

The ratings this season was a strong indicator of that and I expect that to gradually slide until the NFL starts utilizing better methods in improving the quality of their product again (i.e. Reducing commercials, investing in research that maintains the intensity of the game while making it safer for players, less sensational and irrelevant commentary about Kaepernick, etc.)

I think the only games I recall watching all four quarters of the Rams were the Whiners, Seahawks, Cards, Bills, Lions, and Dolphins.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
687474703a2f2f796f7566616e63796d656d61642e636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031352f30382f3130303333382d6f682d6d792d676f642d696d2d736f2d657863697465642d6769662d43682d7a39734e2e676966

/\/\/\Not really...

Chill, drink, talk :poop:. Super Bowl commercials lately have been as mediocre as Jeff Fishers coaching. Commercials use to be funny circa 2000. Deja vu its the Patriots again. I could be more pumped about it, but obviously I'm going to root for the NFC.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
It's not a lack of interest in the Falcons per se, it's more of our waning interest in the NFL.

The ratings this season was a strong indicator of that and I expect that to gradually slide until the NFL starts utilizing better methods in improving the quality of their product again (i.e. Reducing commercials, investing in research that maintains the intensity of the game while making it safer for players, less sensational and irrelevant commentary about Kaepernick, etc.)

I think the only games I recall watching all four quarters of the Rams were the Whiners, Seahawks, Cards, Bills, Lions, and Dolphins.
You weren't missing much. We sucked this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

didn't the packers vs cowboys playoff game this season set tv records?

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
As soon as the Patriots made it in I advised my wife not to accept any SB party invites.......I never watch them play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am excited to watch the Falcons play. They have an offense that may be able to give NE trouble.

I won't be happy if the Pats win of course.

jap

Legend
I am mildly interested to see how they compare with our GSOT even without anyone resembling Marshall.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Funny how things go..... I am down here where I am at, recent long time NFL fans could careless about the deep south Atlanta Falcons. IMO the actual game might be somewhat entertaining but sure seems that interest in the NFL is down dramatically :sleepz:around here. But after the recent ultra exciting NCAA Football Championship "All Deep South Bowl" game.... it would be hard to muster up & match that kind of in interest again. Looks like they are more interested in getting prepared to get their gardens ready for spring & the greasy dirty task of performing maintenance on all the lawn equipment:LOL:.

What's different .....is where I see & read the Sports Press Writers going out of the way to be so negative on the NE Patriots which is real odd....:thinking: never seen that before. It might be more interesting to dig deep to find out what's up with that, than the SB game itself. (I tend to run in an more seasoned (40/50/60 yr olds) crowd too) so the trending appeal to the younger tier of fans as NFL Goodell half time show & side entertainment offers up little or no interest for anyone I have come in contact with. My 2 cents worth:coffee:.

Last edited:

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
pumped for Falcons and the Julio we might have had

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm excited to watch this Super Bowl more than I have the last several years I think. The number 1 offense vs the number 1 defense. Should be a really good game. I like Matt Ryan and Julio so that'll be fun. And worst case scenario I'll enjoy seeing Chris Long hoist a Lombardi at least. Lots of reasons to enjoy this game for me.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'm pumped the win the ramsondemand survivor pool when the Falcons beat the piss out of the Pats!:boxing:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I am not only going to watch the game, I'll be going all-in on the Falcon's! I think they are going to Stomp on the Cheatriots!! And I'm hoping the Cheatriots get embarrassed by Atlanta! I won't be surprised if several N.E. players have to be helped from the field!!

Ram65

Legend
I had to look up where the game is played and start time. I don't watch ESPN/NFLN or much Fox. It seems like the hype machine hasn't gotten to me yet. I don't get that excited about any SB any more if the Rams aren't in it. :):):).
This seems like a good match up. Ryan's a local guy so that's cool. Got to hope he and the Falcons can shake off the nerves. Over the years when games are close it's been fun chatting with fellow Ram fans. I'm starting to look forward to a good game. I just hope it is.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/what_time_does_super_bowl_2017_start_super_bowl_51.html

Here's what you need to know:

What: Super Bowl LI (or 51)

Teams: AFC champion New England Patriots vs. NFC champion Atlanta Falcons

When: Sunday, Feb. 5, 2017

Where: NRG Stadium, Houston

Time: Kickoff is 6:30 p.m. ET

TV: Fox

Announcers: Joe Buck (play-by-play), Troy Aikman (analysis), Erin Andrews and Chris Myers (sideline reporters)

Full super Bowl coverage

Super Bowl 2017: What Giants fans should watch for
Halftime show: Global superstar Lady Gaga, winner of six Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, and Academy Award nominee, will headline the Pepsi Zero Sugar Super Bowl LI Halftime Show, the NFL says............................................................................................................................

nanotech

Rookie
Ennui has definitely set in. Year long coverage overload. However, I think I'll swap out the engine in my '70 muscle car during half time. Should have plenty of time.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Boy I am. I think it's gonna be a hell of a good game. If Atlantas defense can hold TB12 to a few 3 and outs. I can see a hell of a good win by the good guys in this game.

Tho if C.Long wins himself a ring, I will be thrilled. Only for him tho, the rest can go fuck themselves!

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think everyone expected this game to be Dallas or Green Bay vs New England.