"No Shurmur for you!"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But I heard from someone with connections to an official within the Rams staff that he heard a janitor had overheard ....... Print it!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm not sure because they give assistant coaches contracts too, but who knows? They could give Fisher a one year extention, but that really does not do anything? Who knows why the Rams keep losing out on viable options? Seems that Fisher takes too long IMHO usually teams say take the job now or leave it like the Dolphins did to Vance Joseph so he could not wait around for Hue Jackson to get hired in Cleveland Joseph decided to jump while the Iron is hot, Fisher IMO thinks well if a coach wants to go elsewhere let him, but he should of offered Shurmur or DeFilippo a job immediately so they did not have the chance to wait especially in DeFilippo's case because Pederson was still coaching in the playoffs for God sake.
So you think they should offer a job before interviewing?? They aren't THAT desperate and who out there would take such an offer? That is a bad idea for both sides.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So you think they should offer a job before interviewing?? They aren't THAT desperate and who out there would take such an offer? That is a bad idea for both sides.

No I think that after the interview if they want the guy, they should sign him. Rams tend to vacillate, where as like the Vikings they interviewed Shurmur on Friday and signed him on Saturday. The Rams have interviewed two guys and then allowed them to interview elsewhere, if you like them, hire them don't sit around pontificating if they're a good fit.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No I think that after the interview if they want the guy, they should sign him. Rams tend to vacillate, where as like the Vikings they interviewed Shurmur on Friday and signed him on Saturday. The Rams have interviewed two guys and then allowed them to interview elsewhere, if you like them, hire them don't sit around pontificating if they're a good fit.
The Rams did not interview Shurmur they asked for permission but he went to Minnesota first. I heard they were going to interview DeFilipo but I'm not clear on whether that happened or not, did it??

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams did not interview Shurmur they asked for permission but he went to Minnesota first. I heard they were going to interview DeFilipo but I'm not clear on whether that happened or not, did it??

IDK so I find it odd they are interested, but can't get interviews, oh well, hopefully they staff will be improved over last season.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lame duck coach with a conservative philosophy and who knows how much power he is willing to relinquish. Not having a QB probably doesn't help much either.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Boras, and any OC needs, is a QB who can read defenses, step up in the pocket and deliver the ball accurately to the spot he intended. He also needs WR's who can run routes, get open consistently and catch the ball. On top of that he needs an O-line that can give his QB more than two seconds before the pocket collapses.

Until that happens, it doesn't matter who the OC is - it will continue to be a revolving door at OC and a disaster.
The age old question:
Is poor performance a result of less-than-talented players? Or is it less-than talented coaching?
Are our QBs as bad as they appear to be? Or is it the coaching and play calling?
Same for our WRs... do they not have the skills to run accurate routes and get separation? Or are they not being coached properly to do those things?
Oline, same.

Over the years, I have had some "spirited" discussions regarding this conundrum... I was also told it was the coaching. Realistically, I suspect it's part both.

Btw I don't care if the players like Boras, Fisher and the rest of the coaching staff. I would rather they fear and hate the coaching staff but do their damn jobs.
When I see comments like this, I think of Bill Parcells. Players seemed to hate him and love him at the same time. Of course, a lot has to do with if you're winning or not. ;)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seemed like Boras gave us some cause for measured optimism... just wish we had a larger sample size.

I believe the term is "statistically invalid"?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Lame duck coach with a conservative philosophy and who knows how much power he is willing to relinquish. Not having a QB probably doesn't help much either.

Pretty much it in a nutshell. Still wondering why the general assumption is that Boras ain't the guy.
Everybody starts somewhere - but it's still 80% QB/20% OC imo.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The age old question:
Is poor performance a result of less-than-talented players? Or is it less-than talented coaching?
Are our QBs as bad as they appear to be? Or is it the coaching and play calling?
Same for our WRs... do they not have the skills to run accurate routes and get separation? Or are they not being coached properly to do those things?
Oline, same.

Over the years, I have had some "spirited" discussions regarding this conundrum... I was also told it was the coaching. Realistically, I suspect it's part both.

Throw in the GM and the scouts who are not drafting and signing the right players for whatever system the coaching staff has in place.

When I see comments like this, I think of Bill Parcells. Players seemed to hate him and love him at the same time. Of course, a lot has to do with if you're winning or not. ;)

Pete Carroll, in a poll of 320 NFL players a few years ago, was voted the coach they'd most like to play for. He's obviously been quite successful. Mike Tomlin was second.

Carroll is seen as the ultimate players' coach, but some might say he won the vote because he's viewed as being soft on players.

Seahawks linebacker and team captain Heath Farwell said that perception isn't true. Farwell said Carroll is respected by players because of his clear teaching methods and his positive-reinforcement approach to coaching.

"If you make a mistake, he uses that as a teachable moment," Farwell said. "Pete explains what you did wrong and how you can correct. If you do something wrong, he will say that's not acceptable by the organization and explain why.

"We all make mistakes, but with Pete, it's about learning from it. He's not a talk-down-to-you or yell-at-you kind of coach."

Carroll gets a little agitated when people assume he's some type of new-age guru who walks around practice every day chanting peace and love. But he's never had the old-school, drill-sergeant approach to coaching.

"It's something that I think I've always done naturally, in respect to the players," Carroll said. "There are plenty of ways to adjust their play or be critical without doing it in the public eye.

"But we're open around here. We're honest enough and straightforward enough that we can talk right to our guys about any issue in front of the rest of the team."

Farwell said Carroll makes playing the game fun, but it isn't a party. The Seahawks didn't become Super Bowl contenders this season by goofing off.

"We practice hard on every play and we work as hard as any team, or harder," Farwell said. "But it's a fun team to play on because Pete's always so positive. He's the biggest cheerleader on the sidelines. He coaches with passion, and that's why guys play hard for him."

Carroll has no intention of emphasizing what a player does wrong.

"We don't feel like we benefit from that," he said. "We want to tell them the best thing we can tell them as quickly as we can. It isn't necessary to scream at them or yell at them. There are other ways to do it.

"The principle of it is we want to tell them, as soon as possible, exactly what they need to do to get it right. It's more about the correction than whatever the result was."

Carroll said he appreciates the vote from the players, but the message to any player is a goal of excellence.

"We're doing it with standards and expectations that are as high as you can get," he said. "I'm glad we've found a way to do it that guys appreciate it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/game?gameId=400820437

Again, I don't care whether the players love or hate the HC as long as they win games.