"No Shurmur for you!"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Talk about playing it safe, Shurmer. Running game coordinator? In Minnesota? AP really needs a guiding hand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No loss. Shurmur is overrated. He is Brian Schottenheimer the second.......or is that the first.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Aside from making sure we have a decent QB, I think the most important addition would be to Beef-Up the O-Line, especially at the OG position! And we need good Line depth!! JMHO

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aside from making sure we have a decent QB, I think the most important addition would be to Beef-Up the O-Line, especially at the OG position! And we need good Line depth!! JMHO

Well, adding better players anywhere is desirable. I would actually expect the rookies to improve next season, of course - it takes a while to build up to NFL strength, after all. But it's good to have depth. Just that given the amount of resources they put in there last off season, I'm thinking elsewhere might be better. Say a TE who can block and catch, and given that Quick seems not to have recovered and that it would be unwise to expect Bailey to ever play again, they do sort of need a couple of WRs. And there is no way they resign all of their defensive free agents, so a little bit will need to be done about that. Oh, and a QB might be nice.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, adding better players anywhere is desirable. I would actually expect the rookies to improve next season, of course - it takes a while to build up to NFL strength, after all. But it's good to have depth. Just that given the amount of resources they put in there last off season, I'm thinking elsewhere might be better. Say a TE who can block and catch, and given that Quick seems not to have recovered and that it would be unwise to expect Bailey to ever play again, they do sort of need a couple of WRs. And there is no way they resign all of their defensive free agents, so a little bit will need to be done about that. Oh, and a QB might be nice.
I agree with you, But I believe it all starts Up-Front, in the Trenches! With-out a Dominant Line we go no-were!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It's kinda looking like Fisher will stick with Boras.

Not the end of the world, frankly.

Here would be my strategy if I were Fisher and keeping Boras...

Turn over every stone and move every mountain to find a quality starting QB for Boras to work with. Draft, trade picks, trade players, FA, I don't care, but take NO option off the table until someone has been acquired.
Draft BPA at WR no later than pick 45.
Draft BPA at TE no later than round 3.
Hire the best danged WR and TE coaches that money could buy and insist they stress fundamentals.
Give Boras autonomy on scheme design and play calling next season, (as he already does with GW).
Let Snead make the above O pick selections. Just stay the hell away from all O picks until further notice. Lol.

The combination of the above, along with expected OL player improvement, should enable our O to take a giant step in the right direction. I mean, there's literally nowhere for it to go but up, is there?

I fully realize that Fisher is incapable of at least half of the above, but this is what I would do if I were him.

FrankenRam

Starter

Or maybe none of the above.(??)

Or maybe you just didn't get the memo....Every time some ESPN gossip monger says 'The Rams are talking to So&So about their Such&Such coaching opening', it's absolute gospel. And if things don't work out exactly like ESPN 'reports' (and I use the term 'reports' very loosely), then it's because there is some deficiency on the Rams part. Or more to the point, it's some deficiency on Fisher's part. It's never because ESPN just makes crap up to fill media space.

I find it more than a little ironic that both DeFillipo and Shurmur took lesser positions than the previous one each held. But because Fisher didn't hire one or the other, or both, it's automatically a Fisher problem.:rolleyes:

FrankenRam

Starter
I agree with you, But I believe it all starts Up-Front, in the Trenches! With-out a Dominant Line we go no-were!!

While a dominant OL is a good thing, it's not hardly an absolute requirement. The Cheatriots OL is not remotely what anyone would view as being dominant, yet they are one game away from yet another Super Bowl.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Or maybe none of the above.(??)

Or maybe you just didn't get the memo....Every time some ESPN gossip monger says 'The Rams are talking to So&So about their Such&Such coaching opening', it's absolute gospel. And if things don't work out exactly like ESPN 'reports' (and I use the term 'reports' very loosely), then it's because there is some deficiency on the Rams part. Or more to the point, it's some deficiency on Fisher's part. It's never because ESPN just makes crap up to fill media space.

I find it more than a little ironic that both DeFillipo and Shurmur took lesser positions than the previous one each held. But because Fisher didn't hire one or the other, or both, it's automatically a Fisher problem.:rolleyes:
While I agree with what you are saying, I don't think Flv was trying to make any real point - just poking fun is what it seemed to me. I could be wrong though.

FrankenRam

Starter
While I agree with what you are saying, I don't think Flv was trying to make any real point - just poking fun is what it seemed to me. I could be wrong though.

My reply wasn't intended to cast any dispersions FLV's way at all. I interpreted his response just as you say. I was just 'piling on' to his perspective (assuming we both interpreted it correctly).

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
The Rams haven't hired any assistant coaches yet have they ?

They fired five at the end of the season , and unless I missed it during all the relocation stuff that was going on , I don't think the Rams have replaced even one of them yet

Even though I never thought Shurmur was ever coming to the Rams , I am kind of surprised it's taking this long I'm not so sure it will be Rob Boras either , I keep thinking it will be someone out of Left Field that none of us saw coming

The Rams probably already know what their doing and just haven't announced it yet , kind of like what they do with the draft picks , just announce them all at once

It will probably be Rob Boras.......................but maybe not

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've never understood the mentality that any coach, other than the HC, should be able to come to a team and immediately install 'his' system. It happens all the time, I know. But it also seems that, much more often than not, that team struggles for some (variable) period of time while the team adapts to that system. And in some cases, the 'system' requires such a unique combination of skillsets, that the team never does fully adapt because they just don't have the players to make that system work (See Josh McDaniels anywhere he's coached except New England).

IMO, a truly bright coach is the one who is able to adapt his system to the players on the team he is coaching. His first goal should be to put the players he has available in a position to succeed. The 'system' should be secondary.

Agreed. And I think Fisher agrees as well. My assertion was that Fish asked Shurmur to come in and do what you say above and run the Rams system as a passing game coordinator under Boras. Not a very enticing set of circumstances for Shurmur as demonstrated by his decision to become a RB coach in Minnesota.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

You probably are right regarding Flv, but Franken's point I tend to agree with

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
While a dominant OL is a good thing, it's not hardly an absolute requirement. The Cheatriots OL is not remotely what anyone would view as being dominant, yet they are one game away from yet another Super Bowl.
True, but Brady has one of the fastest releases in the game. And they play the short passing game until the wheels fall off, so to speak. which I think makes up for some short-coming on the line.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
True, but Brady has one of the fastest releases in the game. And they play the short passing game until the wheels fall off, so to speak. which I think makes up for some short-coming on the line.
They have had that most of the last 15 years, but they are clearly not quite as good this year. What the Pats do the best, is exploiting what the opponents defense does worst. And, yes, the Brady thing, and his Intel Core i8 processor.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm OK with missing out on Shurmur - I'm less OK with the idea that we can't seem to find an offensive mind that wants to join this staff.

RamBill

Legend
Rams source: “Likely” Rob Boras becomes permanent offensive coordinator
Posted on January 24, 2016 by Vincent Bonsignore

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016...oras-becomes-permanent-offensive-coordinator/

The Los Angeles Rams last week asked for permission to talk to Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, presumably as a prelude to a Shurmur/Rams reunion. Shurmur spent 2009-2010 as the Rams offensive coordinator, and the assumption was they were looking to reel him back in for the same position.

The theory seemed a bit presumptuous, considering the Rams seemed comfortable lifting the interim off of Rob Boras’ title and making him the permanent offensive coordinator. Boras, you’ll remember, replaced Frank Cignetti as the Rams OC late last season, prompting a bit of an offensive awakening and a 3-1 Rams surge to end the season. The Rams averaged 22.5 points with Boras coordinating the offense after averaging less than 16 points over the first 12 games under Cignetti.

In any event, it’s all moot now. The Minnesota Vikings late Saturday hired Shurmur as an offensive assistant coach. And a Rams’ source on Sunday said it’s “likely” Boras will be the permanent offensive coordinator.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Talk about playing it safe, Shurmer. Running game coordinator? In Minnesota? AP really needs a guiding hand.

Haha you beat me to it........they hired him to keep AP from beating any more of his kids. Like he needs help running HAHAHAHA.