"No Shurmur for you!"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Fisher is doing what he did before, talk to lots of people and just promote from within....in case I think no changes at OC.
Who knows?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher is doing what he did before, talk to lots of people and just promote from within....in case I think no changes at OC.
Who knows?
I think Boras showed a willingness to adjust on the fly and did pretty okay with backup QBs. All of these (now) great OCs had to start somewhere, so maybe Boras is the next big thing. Or not. I really don't think it matters who the OC is if he doesn't have a good QB to work with. I didn't even say great. Just good. All that said, I expect to see something splashy coming up in the offseason to match the commotion generated by the move.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Boras showed a willingness to adjust on the fly and did pretty okay with backup QBs. All of these (now) great OCs had to start somewhere, so maybe Boras is the next big thing. Or not. I really don't think it matters who the OC is if he doesn't have a good QB to work with. I didn't even say great. Just good. All that said, I expect to see something splashy coming up in the offseason to match the commotion generated by the move.
Yeah, I am not bashing Boras at all.
When the move was made I thought it was more for show than substance, but, generally the O did play better when he took over. Who knows if they will make an OC move? Who knows if they really need to?
The philosophy, approach and players are probably more important overall. We will see. I agree about a splash....I am thinking at the QB or WR position. I for one, am not big on big FA receivers or making a trade for a WR. Very, very few WR can move the needle enough for an O to really change the dynamic of what a team does....just my opinion of course....a QB is the most important position in sports. What kind of move is there to be made, I don't know. Just not a repeat of the great Foles decision.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Experience in the coaching ranks is everything.Fisher has had 4 long years to get a decent OC and failed miserably. I wouldn't mind promoting from within but Boras needs to sit behind a good OC 1st.Whoever he brings in or sticks with Boras he needs to let them sink or swim.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, I am not bashing Boras at all.
When the move was made I thought it was more for show than substance, but, generally the O did play better when he took over. Who knows if they will make an OC move? Who knows if they really need to?
The philosophy, approach and players are probably more important overall. We will see. I agree about a splash....I am thinking at the QB or WR position. I for one, am not big on big FA receivers or making a trade for a WR. Very, very few WR can move the needle enough for an O to really change the dynamic of what a team does....just my opinion of course....a QB is the most important position in sports. What kind of move is there to be made, I don't know. Just not a repeat of the great Foles decision.
This is one of the few positions I think an elder statesman at WR can pay big dividends. Big second contract FAs for the most part don't work out very well but we have seen solid late career WRs pay off very well and their contracts are generally not too steep.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am ok without the Shurmer redux....With the QB situation we have and the lack of a #1 WR, I don't know what more he could have done. He tried to utilize the whole Austin and Gurley misdirection thing and it worked for a while. Let's see what Boras can do with a real legit 1st round #1 WR..I love Austin, but the little dude is a gadget guy......Gurley needs a passing threat of some sort so they don't stack the box like they have..

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Shucks... what a shame...Boras + Shumur = Boras - 1 yard on 6 yard passes on 3rd and 10.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I wouldn't mind seeing Boras get a chance with an entire offseason/season. Who knows? That added prep time may be all he needs to take off. We did win more than we lost with him no? Get him a QB like Paxton Lynch, a WR like Josh Doctson or Will Fuller, a TE like Bryce Williams in the draft and bring a couple other FAs to the O and who knows? I think we are that close.

jap

Legend
Rob Boras has been noted for being very organized, very good at teaching fundamentals, and establishing great rapport with his players. It could be that Fish realized Rob was the brighter of the two between Boras & Cignetti and offered up Cignetti as the sacrificial lamb when things went sour (as expected!) with the offense. Boras may have acknowledged he needs help with the passing game; hence, the interviews for a passing coordinator.

I'm out here on my lonely ledge as usual wishing they would consider Mad Mike as a passing consultant. He may have been the most dynamic student of the Coryell coaching tree, and it would be such a shame to have that insane (in such a great way!) knowledge go to waste.

Come on, Fish! Mike is a passing guru and a WR guru---those are your two greatest offensive needs. Milk that Martz brain for everything it holds with every alternative less than the ideal one---the Vulcan Mind Touch. Fast and Furious! needs to survive and coexist with Gurley's world.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is one of the few positions I think an elder statesman at WR can pay big dividends. Big second contract FAs for the most part don't work out very well but we have seen solid late career WRs pay off very well and their contracts are generally not too steep.
Agreed.
Finding the right guy as opposed to just the biggest name.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I was nervous about getting shurmur but seeing as how we are looking for a passing coordinator I felt better. If anything I'm happy with Boras as OC. The players like him and the oline stayed very discipline when he took over. Commiting minimal penalties even in rowdy Seattle.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fish knows Rob could use that help for the passing game coordination. The problem is some of these guys he's looking at aren't gonna run the same system and are being asked to come onboard and coordinate the passing game after translating terminology not to mention Fish being in the final season of his contract. Shurmur going to Minnesota is actually smart because he gets to work under a legit OC in Norv Turner.

I do like Boras. He seems to have good instincts for what defenses will do, and gameplans accordingly. But he does need some help in that passing game and Fish does need to nail that hire.

FrankenRam

Starter
Fish knows Rob could use that help for the passing game coordination. The problem is some of these guys he's looking at aren't gonna run the same system and are being asked to come onboard and coordinate the passing game after translating terminology not to mention Fish being in the final season of his contract. Shurmur going to Minnesota is actually smart because he gets to work under a legit OC in Norv Turner.

I do like Boras. He seems to have good instincts for what defenses will do, and gameplans accordingly. But he does need some help in that passing game and Fish does need to nail that hire.

Fisher's lame duck status may well be a deterrent to some potential hires joining the Rams. That's understandable.

But I've never understood the mentality that any coach, other than the HC, should be able to come to a team and immediately install 'his' system. It happens all the time, I know. But it also seems that, much more often than not, that team struggles for some (variable) period of time while the team adapts to that system. And in some cases, the 'system' requires such a unique combination of skillsets, that the team never does fully adapt because they just don't have the players to make that system work (See Josh McDaniels anywhere he's coached except New England).

IMO, a truly bright coach is the one who is able to adapt his system to the players on the team he is coaching. His first goal should be to put the players he has available in a position to succeed. The 'system' should be secondary.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, unless Fisher gets an extension I don't see him attracting a viable candidate. Lots of better options, new coaching staffs being assembled elsewhere, etc.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, unless Fisher gets an extension I don't see him attracting a viable candidate. Lots of better options, new coaching staffs being assembled elsewhere, etc.

I'm not sure because they give assistant coaches contracts too, but who knows? They could give Fisher a one year extention, but that really does not do anything? Who knows why the Rams keep losing out on viable options? Seems that Fisher takes too long IMHO usually teams say take the job now or leave it like the Dolphins did to Vance Joseph so he could not wait around for Hue Jackson to get hired in Cleveland Joseph decided to jump while the Iron is hot, Fisher IMO thinks well if a coach wants to go elsewhere let him, but he should of offered Shurmur or DeFilippo a job immediately so they did not have the chance to wait especially in DeFilippo's case because Pederson was still coaching in the playoffs for God sake.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What Boras, and any OC needs, is a QB who can read defenses, step up in the pocket and deliver the ball accurately to the spot he intended. He also needs WR's who can run routes, get open consistently and catch the ball. On top of that he needs an O-line that can give his QB more than two seconds before the pocket collapses.

Until that happens, it doesn't matter who the OC is - it will continue to be a revolving door at OC and a disaster.

Btw I don't care if the players like Boras, Fisher and the rest of the coaching staff. I would rather they fear and hate the coaching staff but do their damn jobs.