No QB controversy here: Davis should start for Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
No QB controversy here: Austin Davis should start for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11962/no-controversy-here-davis-should-start

ST. LOUIS -- Since veteran quarterback Shaun Hill suffered a calf injury late in the opener against Minnesota, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher has never budged from his stance on who his starting quarterback is.

According to Fisher, if Hill is healthy, he's the starter, regardless of what Austin Davis does in his stead.

Even after Davis went 30-of-42 for 327 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions in the Rams' 34-31 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, Fisher wouldn't waver.

"No, I’ve stood behind that decision,” Fisher said.

Well, it's time for Fisher to reconsider. The Rams enter their bye week at 1-2 and will need every bit of that time to correct the many problems plaguing them. But Fisher should also use that time to sit down with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti and have an honest conversation.

Last week, Davis did enough to earn the trust of the coaching staff to garner another start against Dallas. This week, he did enough to show that he should get a chance to be the starter moving forward. In two starts, Davis is 52-of-71 for 562 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. That's a passer rating of 98.4.

Since the Rams drafted Sam Bradford with the first pick in 2010, Davis' passer ratings in each of the past two weeks would rank as the 14th and 15th best performances in a game by a Rams quarterback, a span covering 67 games. Davis' 327 passing yards is the fifth-highest output by a Rams signal caller in that time.

Anytime a decision has to be made between two quarterbacks or, really, any two players, it comes down to which player gives the team the best chance to win. It's understandable that Fisher would want to stick by the veteran Hill had Davis been pedestrian or worse the past two weeks against subpar defenses. Davis has been better than that. He's been good enough to earn his chance or at least a deeper look than "I've stood by that decision."

When asked why he's been so steadfast in standing by Hill, Fisher has pointed to Hill's strong start against Minnesota in the time before his late first-half interception. Hill is a team captain and a veteran respected by his peers.

But even if Hill is able to return and approximate Davis' performance, it still makes more sense to go with Davis at this point. At 34 and on a one-year contract, Hill's tenure in St. Louis doesn't figure to be a long one.

Davis is 25 and in his third season in the league. Playing Davis allows the Rams to see what they have in him beyond this year while still offering them the chance to stay competitive and win games now.

"I’m not really thinking about it, honestly," Davis said. "I just wanted to come in, play hard for this team and give us a chance to win. This one hurts, we’d like to have gotten the win. Coach Fisher has been pretty clear when Shaun is healthy he’ll be the starter. Until I hear different, that’s my approach."

Given some time to reflect on the upcoming bye week, perhaps Fisher will give it more thought. The conclusion he should reach is that Davis is the best option for this team now while also providing hope for the future.

Athos

Legend
He should.

And if Hill fails to perform, I think it's another strike against Fisher.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is going to bite Fisher in the ass, if Hill doesn't perform. And... Against these next opponents it's tough sledding.

AZRamsFan93

While Davis is not our long term solution he has earned the starting job.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
If there was a poll right now, I bet you 80-90% of people would vote for Austin as our QB

With Sam down, we need something to root for, Davies is that guy. Young exciting, good in the pocket, extremely composed considering he's a rookie, what's not to like?
What's hill going to give us that Davies isn't? The very fact fisher don't even entertain that conversation really infuriates me.

He's done more than enough to be the starter, roll with him. What have we got to lose? We need someone to root for

RamGal

UDFA
If Fisher goes with Hill over Davis, he'll lose whatever is left of the fan base this year. The offense responds to Davis and the fans respond to him. How can he NOT start?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
While Davis is not our long term solution he has earned the starting job.

How do we know he isn't? He's playing great and had Cook not dropped that touchdown pass this is a win for the Rams.

David could very well be the real deal and a guy under center for the Rams for several years

AZRamsFan93

How do we know he isn't? He's playing great and had Cook not dropped that touchdown pass this is a win for the Rams.

David could very well be the real deal and a guy under center for the Rams for several years
He is a gamer for sure. His passes float too much for him to survive against good defenses. I like him, just not his lack of arm strength.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He is a gamer for sure. His passes float too much for him to survive against good defenses. I like him, just not his lack of arm strength.

I just don't get the float thing..... ... I see a couple where he has lofted them in but for the most part they're fine....... the ball is getting to the receiver that's all I care about

Athos

Legend

Considered he hasn't played against these "good defenses" yet, I don't think any of us can make that conclusion until we see it first hand.

If he plays as well as Bradford has played against the Whiners, Hags, etc, we may have our QB of the future if Sam doesn't rebound.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Austin Davis performed like a top 10 QB this week but the cowboys have a completely depleted defense. The upcoming teams will have defenses twice as good as the Cowboys or Bucs though. I'm afraid Davis might get exposed and Hill could be the better choice talent wise. I'm sure nobody will agree but it takes a point of view contrary to the common "what have you done for me lately" ideology.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just can't see how they would sit Davis at this point. The last INT was in desperation time and the first one was a rookie mistake. As for floating the ball to me those look like passes he intends to take a little off of to get make them more catchable. Every ball cannot be thrown on a frozen rope as hard as the QB can throw it, there has been a lot of bitching at Bradford for not having better touch on the ball.

This team needs to get some fire and make some adjustments in the next to weeks. No f'ing extra days off. And QB is not one of the positions that needs a change.

AZRamsFan93

Austin Davis performed like a top 10 QB this week but the cowboys have a completely depleted defense. The upcoming teams will have defenses twice as good as the Cowboys or Bucs though. I'm afraid Davis might get exposed and Hill could be the better choice talent wise. I'm sure nobody will agree but it takes a point of view contrary to the common "what have you done for me lately" ideology.
I have my own doubts about Davis' long term viability, but I think he better than Hill.

AZRamsFan93

I just can't see how they would sit Davis at this point. The last INT was in desperation time and the first one was a rookie mistake. As for floating the ball to me those look like passes he intends to take a little off of to get make them more catchable. Every ball cannot be thrown on a frozen rope as hard as the QB can throw it, there has been a lot of bitching at Bradford for not having better touch on the ball.

This team needs to get some fire and make some adjustments in the next to weeks. No f'ing extra days off. And QB is not one of the positions that needs a change.
I agree, but I will wager that Hill gets the start against Philly. Davis' passes do float. He will suffer more interceptions than a QB like Bradford. The defenders have more time to make a play on the ball.

AZRamsFan93

I agree, but I will wager that Hill gets the start against Philly. Davis' passes do float. He will suffer more interceptions than a QB like Bradford. The defenders have more time to make a play on the ball.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think the only ones that float are the ones he wants to float, he also has zipped some in there pretty well too. And with his results, minus the bad throw for the pick six, I will take every week. QBR 98+

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect when Fish goes back and reviews the tape of the game, he's gonna be even more impressed with Davis. The kid played his heart out, and with him under center this offense is different. It is better. It sustains drives. It takes on his exuberance and resilience, and those elements are gonna be needed by this team moving forward if we want to win games.

I think the only ones that float are the ones he wants to float, he also has zipped some in there pretty well too. And with his results, minus the bad throw for the pick six, I will take every week. QBR 98+

Agreed. Austin tries to put some touches on the sure plays and zips on the ones he needs to.. That being said.. if he doesn't get many reps in warming up for the Eagles, don't be surprised for a bad series or two post-Hill..