No obvious solution for Rams' quarterback quandary/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
No obvious solution for Rams' quarterback quandary
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...bvious-solution-for-rams-quarterback-quandary

INDIANAPOLIS -- In a perfect world, the Los Angeles Rams will be able to find a short- and long-term quarterback solution in one tidy package this offseason, thus putting them in position to contend right away and well into the future.

Alas, things in the NFL are rarely perfect, particularly when it comes to identifying and developing a franchise signal-caller.

"I think that’s an ideal world," Rams general manager Les Snead said Thursday at the NFL combine. "The NFL is probably less ideal and more realistic. There are some good QBs in this draft, and more than one or two are probably going to be successful. And a lot of them are going to find roles in this league, whether they’re starting or backups, and backups that go in to win some games. Let’s take the draft guys, and college football players. You’re going to see a lot of movement because of the offenses they’re playing and the style of play they play. There’s going to probably have to be a level of patience. You go to the realistic scenario and you find a guy who can bridge you and win games while maybe a young player is developing. That’s a realistic scenario, but yes, it’s nice to live in the ideal world sometimes. But it doesn’t happen."

So goes the Rams' conundrum as they draw close to the start of the 2016 league year. Coming off a 7-9 season in which they finished at the bottom of the league in every major passing category, the Rams remain in quarterback purgatory. They hoped they had an answer last offseason when they traded Sam Bradford for Nick Foles. It didn't work as Foles was benched in favor of Case Keenum.

The Rams enter this offseason with Keenum as the presumptive starter. Behind Keenum, the Rams have Foles and Sean Mannion, last year's third-round pick. It's the same group that started and finished the 2015 season. But it seems unlikely it will be the same group that begins 2016.

"When the season was over, I made the statement that Case is our starter," coach Jeff Fisher said. "Nick and Sean are going to have a chance to come in and compete. So that’s where we are. With respect to the quarterback position, there’s probably a good chance there’s going to be another one at camp, if not two. I can’t say whether that comes through the draft, through free agency or through trade."

Under Fisher, the Rams haven't been bad enough to have a draft pick that could land a franchise quarterback. That's the case again as they hold the No. 15 overall pick in this year's draft. Although it's not out of the question to find one picking there, the middle of the first round is traditionally a dead zone for quarterbacks.

Since 2000, only eight quarterbacks have been drafted between picks 11 and 20 of the first round. Only two of those -- EJ Manuel in 2013 and Christian Ponder in 2011 -- have been taken in that range in the past six drafts. That's because the value of quarterbacks is such that even players who might not be considered top prospects are often pushed into the top 10. Those that aren't good enough to go that high generally slide to the bottom part of the first round or early in the second.

In the draft, the Rams could theoretically roll the dice on a quarterback such as Memphis' Paxton Lynch, who probably won't be able to help them in his first year, or could get help at, say, receiver, to make life easier for whoever does play quarterback.

"I think there’s definitely merit there," Snead said. "Yes, obviously we all know QB is very important. But hey, the people up front are important, the protection they give is important. The people catching the balls are important. The people calling the plays and developing them are important. It’s definitely a team sport. It’s not just on the QB, and I think to get better offensively, if we’ve been where we’ve been in terms of scoring points, every single position -- and that doesn’t mean we are going to change the person playing it -- but that person needs to get better at what he does as well."

If the Rams don't use their first-round choice on a quarterback, the free-agent or trade markets could be avenues to explore again. As it stands, names such as Bradford, Brock Osweiler, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Robert Griffin III and Chase Daniel could be available. It's a good bet (though not guaranteed) that Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Osweiler and Bradford will stay where they are.

Which leaves the Rams with little in the way of options, because even if they bring in a veteran, there's no guarantee that player would be an upgrade over Keenum, who will be in his fifth NFL season at age 28.

"I think with that, let’s say if the goal was to upgrade at QB, you probably should take if they are a veteran or whether they’re a draftee out of it and try to get who you think is going to be the long-term solution, and that can come in a lot of different shapes and sizes," Snead said. "I don’t think you should start with 'Let’s get a veteran and not a draftee,' because I think you should start with [the best guy]."

More than anything, the Rams would like to find some stability. Since 2012, the team has had more than one starter in every season. Perhaps they can strike gold and land the quarterback to put them over the top in 2016 and take them to greater heights in the future.

But in the harsh reality that is NFL quarterback procurement, status quo seems more likely.

"Looking at Case’s body of work, I thought Case finished strong," Fisher said. "Case has won some games. He’s an overtime blocked kick in San Francisco and an incomplete pass away from maybe winning all five [starts]. So Case is excited about the opportunity to come in and hang on to that job, but there’s going to be competition."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' Snead: QB's important, but it's not the only way

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Feb. 26, 2016 at 08:09 a.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-snead-qbs-important-but-its-not-the-only-way

INDIANAPOLIS -- Are the Rams preparing to roll west with Case Keenum under center?

One day after coach Jeff Fisher reiterated that Keenum would come back as the starter -- with Nick Foles set to compete for the job -- general manager Les Snead talked about not panicking under center.

"It's not one variable to win in this league. There's a lot of them," Snead said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine. "QB's important, but there's a lot of other things that are important, too."

Snead dug into what he called his "long answer" to the quarterback question, saying the Rams have conducted in-depth studies -- "probably ... as many as any team" -- on what makes pro passers successful in today's NFL.

Since 2012, per the research, 21 quarterbacks have started 45 or more games. When their teams allowed 25 or more points, only one of those passers logged a winning record. When the same teams gave up 17 or fewer points, all 21 of those quarterbacks posted winning records.

The point is that Snead and Fisher will continue to prioritize building a smothering defense while looking for "consistency" under center.

The Rams are open to adding competition -- and seeing more from second-year arm Sean Mannion -- but Snead and Fisher both crowed about the 3-1 record Keenum compiled after unseating the milquetoast Nick Foles.

"We do like what Case brought to the table," Snead said. "That's why we traded for him last year to bring him back and he helped stabilize the position."

The Rams deserve credit for building a rugged squad on both sides of the ball. If Los Angeles longs for a bruising defense and promising ground game, this franchise can deliver. The quarterback position, though, remains a focal point -- and the No. 1 reason why the Rams are still seen as 7-9 fodder.

So how do you pitch Keenum -- if he winds up being the guy -- to Los Angeles?

"Here's what I'm going to say," Snead told Around The NFL. "It's a team sport. I think it's easier -- the goal should be selling winning and consistently winning and not necessarily an individual player, so I think what you do is, you win during the season. Sales jobs come during the offseason and preseason and they really don't matter."

Said Snead: "I think you don't sell it. You actually just do it. Then it sells itself."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"It's not one variable to win in this league. There's a lot of them," Snead said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine. "QB's important, but there's a lot of other things that are important, too."
Very True, this years SB proved it, but you still need to have a decent QB!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
To me there is an obvious solution. Use the extra second round pick to trade up and get your guy whoever that is. You have committed to Keenum as the starter so use him or Mannion as the bridge guy to the future of the Franchise.

RamBill

Legend
Rams GM Snead: More to winning than QB play/PD

By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1165984a-517e-5fdf-824c-6fc107c72dcf.html

INDIANAPOLIS • For those that remain angry over the Rams' move, and want nothing to do with the team, there's nothing to see here. But for those who remain interested, here are seven takeaways from general manager Les Snead's media session Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine:

1. In what increasingly is a quarterback-driven league, Snead sounded almost in denial in his opening remarks. His overall point was that it takes more than just a QB to win in the NFL, and that defense — more precisely, points allowed — has a lot to say about quarterback wins and losses. But if nothing else, a little stability at the QB position would help.

SNEAD: "We've done a lot of studies, as many as any team, on QBs and what makes a QB successful over the past couple years. The goal of this whole thing is to win games, so let's just look at QBs this way: There's been 21 QBs since 2012 that have started 45 or more games. If their team gives up 25 or more points, there's only one of those QBs who has actually got a winning record. . . .If your team gives up 17, or less than 17 points, all 21 of those guys have winning records.

"So to win in this league, it's a direct correlation to how many points you're giving up. Since 2012, we have had five starting QBs, and in each of those (four) seasons we've had two guys actually start, sometimes three. So I think getting consistency at that position is one thing."

(Actually in 2012, Sam Bradford started all 16 games.)

2. For the moment, and maybe longer, Case Keenum is the starting quarterback. Keenum doesn't exactly have a resume that will wow finicky Los Angeles sports fans, so he could be a tough sell. Snead said that doesn't matter, and feels Keenum has room to grow as he gets more starting experience.

SNEAD: "It's a team sport. The goal is to be selling winning — and consistently winning — not necessarily an individual player. Sales jobs come kind of in the offseason and the preseason, and they really don't matter.

"I do think there's a chance (for Keenum) to evolve and get better. You may realize what his God-given ability is, but I think with QBs, especially ones that haven't consistently started over and over again, they definitely have a chance to get better. Because we all get better when were' in the line of fire versus doing scout team reps."

3. Sean Mannion — a third-round pick in last year's draft — shouldn't be overlooked or forgotten about in the team's QB's equation.

SNEAD: "He's got a nice skill set, came from a pro-style offense, so doing what we do in the NFL doesn't overwhelm him. He can read things pre-snap and get the ball out quickly. He's less mobile than most. But he was probably that way in high school so he's learned to get the ball out quick."

4. Doesn't sound like the Rams are ready to give up on Brian Quick, who was a disappointment last season at wide receiver returning from a severe shoulder injury and surgery. Quick is scheduled for unrestricted free agency, but doesn't figure to attract much on the market, so it's possible he could be retained for a modest amount.

SNEAD: "We have high hopes. We spent lot of time developing (Quick). Yes, we would like to have Brian back, and see if we can complete the development.

"Even the docs who did his surgery, they thought there would be no way that Brian would get back and even play (in 2015). So I think because of Brian's toughness and his work to rehab and get back, he got on the field probably sooner than most people would. But I still think he was far away, and the year was almost a wash, unfortunately, for him. But it's gonna set him up for a chance to be good in the future."

5. The Rams drafted four wide receivers in the first three drafts under Snead and coach Jeff Fisher — one apiece in rounds one through four. But Chris Givens was traded to Baltimore last season; Quick is a pending free agent; and Stedman Bailey is recovering from gunshot wounds and trying to get back on the field. That leaves Tavon Austin as the only sure thing among those four draft picks. An upgrade at the position seems to be a must.

SNEAD: "Here's what I would say about an upgrade. I do think last year we dropped too many balls at times. . . .If you can add, especially a good offensive skill player, you're probably gonna do it because scoring points does help you win. I don't want to give too many cards away, but we do like some wide receivers in this draft."

6. Time is dwindling for the Rams to address their secondary before the March 9 start of free agency. Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, and safety Rodney McLeod — all starters — are pending free agents. The Rams want them all back and still think that's possible.

SNEAD: "If I were to prioritize what's going on in our building, and there's a lot of things going on, that's Priority A right now. Even at this combine we'll meet with their reps maybe more than one time at the combine."

7. Center Tim Barnes is almost a forgotten man when it comes to the team's pending free agents. But apparently, the former Missouri Tiger fits into the Rams' plans. Besides the stability that comes with having the same quarterback, Snead cited the continuity of having the same center-quarterback combination.

SNEAD: "I'll give Tim Barnes credit. He's one of those guys we'd like to get back. At the end of the day, we didn't think he was a weak link, so we definitely want to get him back."

Rams43

Hall of Fame
To me there is an obvious solution. Use the extra second round pick to trade up and get your guy whoever that is. You have committed to Keenum as the starter so use him or Mannion as the bridge guy to the future of the Franchise.

Here's the catch. Gurley. And it's a big one.

There will be starter quality players sitting there at both of our 2nd round picks. Not to mention a likely stud at our #15. And each would likely be productive for 10 years or more. That's tremendous value.

Meanwhile, the experts are telling us that none of the big three QB's should be allowed anywhere near the field as rookies. So '17 might be the very earliest that we could reasonably hope to see some production from that drafted QB.

That's pretty scary.

I'm currently leaning more toward signing a FA at QB, or maybe taking a second tier QB a bit later in the draft. Either way we keep our picks and get 3 starters.

It's certainly a tough call for S&F, huh?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Here's the catch. Gurley. And it's a big one.

There will be starter quality players sitting there at both of our 2nd round picks. Not to mention a likely stud at our #15. And each would likely be productive for 10 years or more. That's tremendous value.

Meanwhile, the experts are telling us that none of the big three QB's should be allowed anywhere near the field as rookies. So '17 might be the very earliest that we could reasonably hope to see some production from that drafted QB.

That's pretty scary.

I'm currently leaning more toward signing a FA at QB, or maybe taking a second tier QB a bit later in the draft. Either way we keep our picks and get 3 starters.

It's certainly a tough call for S&F, huh?

Agreed. Too many people think there has to be a solution at QB in the draft but there just isn't anyone that justifies trading up for this year, IMO. You exponentially decrease your bust risk if you spread it out over multiple early round picks.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Lynch looks a ton like Flacco to me. That would be hard to pass up on at 15 even if he has to sit and learn for a year. Keenum and Mannion could hold it down while he learns.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"I think with that, let’s say if the goal was to upgrade at QB, you probably should take if they are a veteran or whether they’re a draftee out of it and try to get who you think is going to be the long-term solution, and that can come in a lot of different shapes and sizes," Snead said. "I don’t think you should start with 'Let’s get a veteran and not a draftee,' because I think you should start with [the best guy]."

That quote by Snead gives me hope that they're going to consider a draftee as the answer. The only place you're gonna find a ten year answer at QB is the draft. Sure, rare trades do happen like New Orleans scooping Brees. But the draft is where you get your QB of the future for the most part.

Does this mean they might actually be smart enough to trade up and get Goff? Man I am hopeful. Please just move up Les, get the guy who can make those pinpoint throws and be the face of your franchise. Goff and Gurley would place this team in super elite category for many, many years.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Rams GM Snead: More to winning than QB play/PD

By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1165984a-517e-5fdf-824c-6fc107c72dcf.html

INDIANAPOLIS • For those that remain angry over the Rams' move, and want nothing to do with the team, there's nothing to see here. But for those who remain interested, here are seven takeaways from general manager Les Snead's media session Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine:

1. In what increasingly is a quarterback-driven league, Snead sounded almost in denial in his opening remarks. His overall point was that it takes more than just a QB to win in the NFL, and that defense — more precisely, points allowed — has a lot to say about quarterback wins and losses. But if nothing else, a little stability at the QB position would help.

SNEAD: "We've done a lot of studies, as many as any team, on QBs and what makes a QB successful over the past couple years. The goal of this whole thing is to win games, so let's just look at QBs this way: There's been 21 QBs since 2012 that have started 45 or more games. If their team gives up 25 or more points, there's only one of those QBs who has actually got a winning record. . . .If your team gives up 17, or less than 17 points, all 21 of those guys have winning records.

"So to win in this league, it's a direct correlation to how many points you're giving up. Since 2012, we have had five starting QBs, and in each of those (four) seasons we've had two guys actually start, sometimes three. So I think getting consistency at that position is one thing."

(Actually in 2012, Sam Bradford started all 16 games.)

2. For the moment, and maybe longer, Case Keenum is the starting quarterback. Keenum doesn't exactly have a resume that will wow finicky Los Angeles sports fans, so he could be a tough sell. Snead said that doesn't matter, and feels Keenum has room to grow as he gets more starting experience.

SNEAD: "It's a team sport. The goal is to be selling winning — and consistently winning — not necessarily an individual player. Sales jobs come kind of in the offseason and the preseason, and they really don't matter.

"I do think there's a chance (for Keenum) to evolve and get better. You may realize what his God-given ability is, but I think with QBs, especially ones that haven't consistently started over and over again, they definitely have a chance to get better. Because we all get better when were' in the line of fire versus doing scout team reps."

3. Sean Mannion — a third-round pick in last year's draft — shouldn't be overlooked or forgotten about in the team's QB's equation.

SNEAD: "He's got a nice skill set, came from a pro-style offense, so doing what we do in the NFL doesn't overwhelm him. He can read things pre-snap and get the ball out quickly. He's less mobile than most. But he was probably that way in high school so he's learned to get the ball out quick."

4. Doesn't sound like the Rams are ready to give up on Brian Quick, who was a disappointment last season at wide receiver returning from a severe shoulder injury and surgery. Quick is scheduled for unrestricted free agency, but doesn't figure to attract much on the market, so it's possible he could be retained for a modest amount.

SNEAD: "We have high hopes. We spent lot of time developing (Quick). Yes, we would like to have Brian back, and see if we can complete the development.

"Even the docs who did his surgery, they thought there would be no way that Brian would get back and even play (in 2015). So I think because of Brian's toughness and his work to rehab and get back, he got on the field probably sooner than most people would. But I still think he was far away, and the year was almost a wash, unfortunately, for him. But it's gonna set him up for a chance to be good in the future."

5. The Rams drafted four wide receivers in the first three drafts under Snead and coach Jeff Fisher — one apiece in rounds one through four. But Chris Givens was traded to Baltimore last season; Quick is a pending free agent; and Stedman Bailey is recovering from gunshot wounds and trying to get back on the field. That leaves Tavon Austin as the only sure thing among those four draft picks. An upgrade at the position seems to be a must.

SNEAD: "Here's what I would say about an upgrade. I do think last year we dropped too many balls at times. . . .If you can add, especially a good offensive skill player, you're probably gonna do it because scoring points does help you win. I don't want to give too many cards away, but we do like some wide receivers in this draft."

6. Time is dwindling for the Rams to address their secondary before the March 9 start of free agency. Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson, and safety Rodney McLeod — all starters — are pending free agents. The Rams want them all back and still think that's possible.

SNEAD: "If I were to prioritize what's going on in our building, and there's a lot of things going on, that's Priority A right now. Even at this combine we'll meet with their reps maybe more than one time at the combine."

7. Center Tim Barnes is almost a forgotten man when it comes to the team's pending free agents. But apparently, the former Missouri Tiger fits into the Rams' plans. Besides the stability that comes with having the same quarterback, Snead cited the continuity of having the same center-quarterback combination.

SNEAD: "I'll give Tim Barnes credit. He's one of those guys we'd like to get back. At the end of the day, we didn't think he was a weak link, so we definitely want to get him back."
Right on! People talk about all of the players we're looking to sign or draft, but come on, Tim really stepped up. Without what he did our line could well have fared far worse. We need to sign him or worry about free agents or the draft to address the position yesterday.

RamBill

Legend
Could Rams pursue Colin Kaepernick?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27204/could-rams-pursue-colin-kaepernick

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Last week was a wild one for those keeping tabs on what will become of the relationship between the San Francisco 49ers and quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

At the NFL scouting combine, Niners general manager Trent Baalke proclaimed that he "absolutely" expects Kaepernick to be on San Francisco's roster on April 1 when Kaepernick's $11.9 million base salary becomes guaranteed.

Soon after, league sources revealed that Kaepernick's agents had requested permission to seek a trade. So, as one might expect, all is not well when it comes to the Kaepernick-Niners pairing.

As with all quarterbacks who could be available this offseason, speculation immediately began as to where Kaepernick could land. Likewise, the Los Angeles Rams were quickly linked to their NFC West division rival.

ESPN's John Clayton put together a list of teams that could have interest in Kaepernick with the Rams at the top.

As Clayton points out, Kaepernick could be an intriguing fit for the Rams, especially in their running game. The ability to use Kaepernick in conjunction with running back Todd Gurley and receiver Tavon Austin would allow the Rams a chance to be more diverse than ever in the run game. He wouldn't necessarily bolster their woeful passing attack, however.

When it comes to a potential trade, it seems unlikely the Rams would want to compensate the Niners and take on Kaepernick's salary unless they could convince coach Chip Kelly to reunite with Nick Foles. If they released Kapernick, it would make more sense. And, as Clayton also mentioned, San Francisco might not want to send Kaepernick to a division rival.

If nothing else, Kaepernick is yet another name to keep tabs on in the team's pursuit of quarterback help.

RamBill

Legend
Rams sure to take long look at quarterback market
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-sure-to-take-long-look-at-quarterback-market

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The free-agent market is scheduled to open March 9 and teams may begin negotiations with those poised to hit the market beginning March 7. We'll count down to that with a position-by-position look at what the Los Angeles Rams have in place, who is set to hit the market, what they might need and who might fit the bill.

Position: Quarterback

Under contract: Nick Foles, Sean Mannion

Pending free agents: Case Keenum (restricted)

What's needed: The Rams finished last in the NFL in nearly every major passing category in 2015. They hoped Foles would be the answer when they overhauled this position a year ago, but it didn't work out and he was benched in favor of Keenum. Mannion essentially redshirted and while the Rams are still hopeful he can develop into a starter eventually, it seems unlikely that will happen in 2016. As it stands, Keenum is the leader in the clubhouse to start next season, and the Rams will extend a tender offer to keep him. Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have made it clear they will continue to explore their options with the goal of putting Keenum in a position to compete for the job rather than anointing him. Really, the Rams need both a short and long-term answer at quarterback but for now would probably settle for a short-term one that can improve their offense enough to get over the hump, post a winning record and reach the postseason for the first time since after the 2004 season.

Possible fits: It's hard to project possible matches since most teams with viable quarterback options aren't often in the mood to let those players walk away. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brock Osweiler, Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel are the best signal-callers that could hit the market with Washington prepared to do what it must to retain Kirk Cousins. Fitzpatrick, Osweiler and Bradford are also expected to stay with their current teams. Robert Griffin III could also be an intriguing possibility when the Redskins officially part ways with him, and San Francisco's Colin Kaepernick could be another name to monitor should he become available. The problem is that to pry away a player like Osweiler, who is still mostly unproven, it would take a pretty lucrative offer and that would be risky given he has yet to prove he can be a consistent performer over the course of a season. The better bet is the Rams will go searching for a younger alternative with some upside, such as Griffin or Kaepernick, or they could try their hand in the draft.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
What gets me is they sign Keenum, them get rid of him, then trade for him. That tells me Snead and Fisher have no clue.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
CK might be the perfect answer! A QB that can't throw on a team that has no one that can catch.:baghead:

Ram65

Legend
Wentz and Goff worth going after. Not sure on Lynch. Rams need to solve the QB mess!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What gets me is they sign Keenum, them get rid of him, then trade for him. That tells me Snead and Fisher have no clue.

Well, they gambled with him, when there was a major roster crunch, and the one team that would have plucked him from the practice squad had multiple QB injuries late in the season and signed him. Even then, it took a future 7th - basically the smallest possible trade - to get him back, and he proved useful.

Snead and Fisher have not been great in their QB decisions, but gambling on a guy staying on the practice squad who other teams weren't leaping at the opportunity to sign is not really evidence of them having no clue. That they were able to trade a future 7th for a guy with some success for them this season is actually evidence they have some clue.

RamBill

Legend
Ourlads scout Dan Shonka joins Max and Marcellus on ESPNLA Radio to discusses Paxton Lynch as a QB prospect for the Rams and gives his thoughts about Colin Kaepernick and RG3. He likes them both but is concerned about RG3’s durability.

Listen to Shonka Talk QB's

RamBill

Legend
With market set, Rams have some free-agent quarterback options
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rams-have-some-free-agent-quarterback-options

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The NFL's deadline for franchise and transition tags came and went Tuesday with little in the way of surprises. Now that the 10 teams, including the Los Angeles Rams, have used their tags, the free-agent market has crystallized.

Between now and the start of Monday's negotiating window, it's unlikely that teams will be able to re-sign many of their own free agents as the top players are close enough now that they will want to see what the market could bear.

For the Rams, the first priority will be re-signing their own free agents, particularly on defense. But they are also in the market for upgrades at quarterback, where they intend to keep restricted free agent Case Keenum and have Nick Foles and Sean Mannion under contract.

On Tuesday,Washington tagged Kirk Cousins and Philadelphia re-signed Sam Bradford, taking two of the better options off the market before free agency begins. But there are at least a few options who will almost certainly be up for bidding.

Here's a look at three quarterbacks who will be free agents next week and three who could be available when the time comes:

HEADED TO FREE AGENCY

Brock Osweiler, Denver: It's a mild upset that Osweiler will be able to test the market, but the Broncos had no choice after tagging Von Miller. Osweiler is in a favorable spot despite a small sample size of six career starts. He showed enough in those starts that people believe he could be an average-or-better starter in the NFL, and it came at a time when no other free-agent quarterback is a clear-cut better option. The Broncos want to keep Osweiler at what John Elway called a "middle market" deal, but Osweiler might be able to get more than that now that he can shop around. Osweiler is going to be the best option available, which might not be saying much but it could mean big things for him. The Rams likely will have interest, but they probably won't break the bank on an unproven quarterback after they just went through a similar failed experiment with Foles, who actually had a longer, better track record than Osweiler.

New York's Ryan Fitzpatrick
Ryan Fitzpatrick was drafted by the Rams in 2005, and is coming off a career-best season in New York.
Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets: Fitzpatrick started his career as a Ram, but it's been so long since he's been in horns that they don't even play in the same city anymore. Nonetheless, Fitzpatrick has carved out quite a career since the Rams used a seventh-round pick on him in 2005. He posted his best season as a pro in 2015, throwing for 3,905 yards and 31 touchdowns in leading the Jets to a 10-6 record. At 33, Fitzpatrick is a journeyman and probably would prefer to stay in New York. One could argue that Keenum has a lot of the qualities of a younger Fitzpatrick, and it's fair to wonder whether Fitzpatrick would play as well without the supporting cast he has in New York. Still, he'll draw his share of interest, and though he's expected to re-sign with the Jets, where he has receivers like Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall at his disposal, the Rams would be wise to at least kick the tires to see the cost.

Chase Daniel, Kansas City: Even more of an unknown than Osweiler, Daniel has been a lifelong backup since entering the league in 2009. He might be worth a look as competition for Keenum if the price is right, but there are a lot of similarities between him and Keenum and adding Daniel might be too redundant for the Rams to truly explore.

COULD BECOME AVAILABLE

Robert Griffin III, Washington: Washington hasn't released Griffin, but that appears to be a formality at this point. There'd be a certain symmetry in him landing with the Rams after they traded away the chance to draft him in 2012. It would bring Griffin's career full circle while also giving him a much-needed fresh start. Griffin could be a match for the Rams if he can get back to the run-and-gun style that worked for him as a rookie. It's far from a guarantee he'd be an improvement over what the Rams already have, but Griffin's running ability and deep-ball accuracy could work in the Rams' run-centric offense. He also probably won't command big money, which would mitigate the risk in signing him.

Peyton Manning, Denver: ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday that Manning would like to continue his playing career "in a perfect world." Schefter reported last month that the Rams had interest in Manning if he did decide to play another year. We've already been through my reasons for why it's not a great fit for either side, but that doesn't mean the Rams wouldn't explore it if Manning decided to keep playing and the Broncos let him leave. Manning would undoubtedly bring some sizzle to Los Angeles and be a good tutor for Mannion for a year or so. It still seems like a long shot but we can't completely rule it out until/if Manning retires.

Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco: Kaepernick's future with the Niners seems to change by the day, if not the hour. The Niners have said they want to keep him. He has requested permission to seek a trade. Something has to give, and if it does, especially in a way that wouldn't require trade compensation, the Rams can and should take a look. Kaepernick would be an intriguing fit for their run game and a change of scenery could do him good. If the price is right, Kaepernick would make some sense for the Rams.