No McDaniels?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
@jthom1
If Rams do end up hiring Jeff Fisher as head coach, league sources say he probably would not retain Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Wait, in the few words uttered by SK he refers to Belichick's book and the Patriots style of operation, but the HC he's put at the top of his list would release the only coach on staff that has come from that system?

How, exactly, did SK get his wealth, can someone explain that to me please.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's not uncommon. Head coaches typically like to hire their own staff anyway. Now if Fisher signs somewhere else (Miami, Tampa, wherever), then maybe McDaniels would stay on. But if you're McDaniels, don't you already have your foot out the door right now? Maybe you stay, maybe you go, you're just waiting to see what the head coach wants to do with you... Screw that. If I'm McDaniels, and I have the luxury of determining my OWN fate, then I'm already taking offers to go somewhere else.

This whole thing is slowly becoming a cluster fuck.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
That's not uncommon. Head coaches typically like to hire their own staff anyway
Right, I get that.

But here we have a situation where the majority owner went out of his way to stipulate an approach going forward, with only one staff member onboard (to my knowledge) who has personal experience with that approach, and we're talking about the possibility of that key staff member being released.

X said:
This whole thing is slowly becoming a cluster fuck.
This was simply not thought through to the extent one would expect. SK pulled the trigger after sleeping on it. WTF is that about.... where are the strategy documents supporting the next move? They don't exist, that's my read. It's just a guy slinging his member around.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
But here we have a situation where the majority owner went out of his way to stipulate an approach going forward, with only one staff member onboard (to my knowledge) who has personal experience with that approach, and we're talking about the possibility of that key staff member being released.

This was simply not thought through to the extent one would expect. SK pulled the trigger after sleeping on it. WTF is that about.... where are the strategy documents supporting the next move? They don't exist, that's my read. It's just a guy slinging his member around.
Was Kroneke talking about the Patriots methodology, or the way they run schemes? I took that to mean that he wanted to emulate the way they run an organization, and not so much how they run an offense. McDaniels was with the Patriots for 7 years, but I don't know that I'd use him as a Consultant (for lack of a better word) to help model one Franchise after another. He'd have to be way more than an offensive coordinator if you're going to use him in that capacity. Coordinators don't typically stay with an organization very long unless that's what they want to do. I'm willing to bet McDaniels wants to be a head coach again.

Additionally, I'd like to believe that a billionaire would rely on more than just overconfidence in his negotiating skills while going into a head coach search like this. If not, then you're right - that's cause for concern. But by all accounts the head coaching list for the Rams is extensive. Having said that, it's been stated on numerous occasions that if you're going to get a head coach, you want to find someone much better. Record notwithstanding, Spags was a good coach. Getting some other hot shot coordinator would be a lateral move. And seeing how Fisher is the ONLY veteran 'hot commodity' head coach out there right now, you have to wonder what the plan B is here. Forsaking continuity for arbitrary change is a mistake in my opinion. An opinion I feel VERY strongly about. So this next coach better be the shit.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
This whole thing is slowly becoming a cluster freak.

Agreed. IF I were a conspiracy theorist, I might start wondering if it was not an organized CF in preparation for a future relocation......IF I was a conspiracy theorist...jes sayin. :what: :sly:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Was Kroneke talking about the Patriots methodology, or the way they run schemes? I took that to mean that he wanted to emulate the way they run an organization, and not so much how they run an offense. McDaniels was with the Patriots for 7 years, but I don't know that I'd use him as a Consultant (for lack of a better word) to help model one Franchise after another. He'd have to be way more than an offensive coordinator if you're going to use him in that capacity. Coordinators don't typically stay with an organization very long unless that's what they want to do. I'm willing to bet McDaniels wants to be a head coach again.
I take it that he wants to emulate the Belchick methodology, which is the Socratic method of questioning, answering and justifying every move, no matter what your job description. Everything is up for discussion and must be rationalized. Josh would have had day-to-day exposure to this methodology as it was put into practice, so I would think he'd certainly be able to help install it here while also performing his OC duties.

The question then becomes, would Jeff's ego stand for that? Is Fisher even a compatible candidate for the Belchick methodology? If not, why is he at the top of the list?

If not, who on this HC list is compatible with the Belchick methodology? And was this factor even considered when developing the HC list?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
interference said:
Wait, in the few words uttered by SK he refers to Belichick's book and the Patriots style of operation, but the HC he's put at the top of his list would release the only coach on staff that has come from that system?

By listening to the fans? :whome?:

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:
interference said:

By wooing the daughter of the Walmart founder. He got a masters in business, and opened a real estate place I guess, probably had moderate success... Then married into a billionaire family, and he uses his real estate company to develop new locations for wal marts. At least according to google.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
interference said:

By wooing the daughter of the Walmart founder. He got a masters in business, and opened a real estate place I guess, probably had moderate success... Then married into a billionaire family, and he uses his real estate company to develop new locations for wal marts. At least according to google.

Kind of a simplified view of what he has done. Certainly, nabbing a Walmart heiress didn't hurt but he has had a wee bit more than moderate success with his "real estate place" et al.

I don't think you will find many business people dismissing Stan's business sense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:

War Room The Legacy of Bill Belichick
If anybody wants to read this book, PM me.
I have it in ePUB format (for use with an e-reader like Adobe Digital Editions) and PDF.

bluecoconuts

Legend
RamFan503 said:
bluecoconuts said:
RamFan503 said:
interference said:

Kind of a simplified view of what he has done. Certainly, nabbing a Walmart heiress didn't hurt but he has had a wee bit more than moderate success with his "real estate place" et al.

I don't think you will find many business people dismissing Stan's business sense.

Yeah, it was simplified.. I'm not trying to take away too much from him, I was just in a winter class and I did a quick google.. Didn't have much time to go into it really.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
X said:
interference said:

Additionally, I'd like to believe that a billionaire would rely on more than just overconfidence in his negotiating skills while going into a head coach search like this. If not, then you're right - that's cause for concern. But by all accounts the head coaching list for the Rams is extensive. Having said that, it's been stated on numerous occasions that if you're going to get a head coach, you want to find someone much better. Record notwithstanding, Spags was a good coach. Getting some other hot shot coordinator would be a lateral move. And seeing how Fisher is the ONLY veteran 'hot commodity' head coach out there right now, you have to wonder what the plan B is here. Forsaking continuity for arbitrary change is a mistake in my opinion. An opinion I feel VERY strongly about. So this next coach better be the shyte.
I dont think hiring another coordinator is necessarily a lateral move. I believe this is more about personnel than coaching. In three years of the Spags/Devaney team what did they add to the roster ? Bradford, Laurinaitis and Quinn. Maybe you include Saffold, I like Kendricks and Salas but still, 5 or 6 promising young players in three years is not nearly good enough. If they hire a coordinator and team him with a good GM and they draft a lot better and make better free agent decisions then that is progress. I don't think the Rams are thinking Fisher or bust. I think they are looking for coach/GM team that will make much better personnel decisions. That is my hope as well.