No Love For GRob?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been a staunch supporter of Greg Robinson and was very happy when the Rams drafted him. I also knew it was going to be a few years before he would realize his potential in the NFL. Auburn Univ. football program is not noted for its passing attack, and GRob never had to put his hand in the dirt or figure out who to block in an exotic blitz from a defense coached by a guy the caliber of Greg Williams.

Some folks that claim GRob was a bad pick and not performing to their liking may not realize that he is only 23 and the youngest OLineman on the Rams, and would be a rookie if he had stayed in college and finnished his senior year.

Personally, I think GRob has progressed just the way the Rams coaching staff thought he would. And he will get better.

Does anyone still think GRob is a bust or even a bad pick? I'd like to hear from some of the folks who have given GRob a hard time on this forum. You've all been very quiet.

How about a little love for GRob? Rams starting OL is looking good so far, and GRob as the "most improved".

JRobinson

MiLB
What I can tell you is this: Most on this board are in the mindset of "I've heard and seen improvement, but let's see when the season is in full swing".

Personally, I'm very optimistic about GRob and his ability. Taking a step back and just looking at the player without being a "homer", the biggest difference I have seen is his initial first step in pass protection. It's light years different than any other year. Second, he is keeping defenders off of him and away from his body.

Although there has been improvement, Greg is still getting beat by the speed rushers at times. But there is no doubt that he has taken a step forward in my judgement.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've been a staunch supporter of Greg Robinson and was very happy when the Rams drafted him. I also knew it was going to be a few years before he would realize his potential in the NFL. Auburn Univ. football program is not noted for its passing attack, and GRob never had to put his hand in the dirt or figure out who to block in an exotic blitz from a defense coached by a guy the caliber of Greg Williams.

Some folks that claim GRob was a bad pick and not performing to their liking may not realize that he is only 23 and the youngest OLineman on the Rams, and would be a rookie if he had stayed in college and finnished his senior year.

Personally, I think GRob has progressed just the way the Rams coaching staff thought he would. And he will get better.

Does anyone still think GRob is a bust or even a bad pick? I'd like to hear from some of the folks who have given GRob a hard time on this forum. You've all been very quiet.

How about a little love for GRob? Rams starting OL is looking good so far, and GRob as the "most improved".
I'm just not convinced that he shouldn't be slide inside to Guard! JMHO, I could very well be Dead wrong!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Never been a hater...after watching him in the combine, figured he'd come around...potential...tougher to grasp than realize...
He's our best lineman...Check out Matthews getting bull-rushed in the backfield...wondering what's up with Brown? Is he still solid? Mad about Havenstein...but I was shocked how well he played after seeing HIM AT the combine...damn injuries...
Line is solid for the first time in years Bubba...
now on to those db's & wr's....
Got something for ya
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/29/12691006/grob-watch-vs-the-broncos
GRob watch vs the Broncos
By Will not be defeated on Aug 29, 2016

So, GRob has started the preseason pretty strong. He has shown improved footwork, hands and body position against the Cowboys and Chiefs but the Broncos represented a step up in quality.

Looking at the play by play, it is clear that the Bronco's were a big step up as this game did not go all GRob's way.

NB: the Broncos lined up entirely in their 3-4 base.

1st Drive.

1st & 10. Pass

Matches up one-on-one with the OLB (Shane Ray). GRob lines up in a two point stance. GRob is up off the snap and although his feet are not that fluid he gets squared up with Ray. Body position and hand position is good. The ball is out fast and Ray goes nowhere.

2nd & 9. Run

Doubles the DE inside with Wichmann. Get a good shove on but play is dead behind them as Barnes failed to move the NT and allowed the NT to make the stop.

3rd & 4. Pass

Ray bull rushes. GRob gives up a few steps as Ray has gotten under him. GRob manages to reset and get control with about 4 yards to spare.

NB: Keenum is sacked. Saffold is beaten by a hand swipe from Miller and Wichmann is beaten by a spin move from the DE. The Bronco's pass rush is for real.

2nd drive.

1st & 10. Run

Doubles the DE with Wichmann. Initially they shove the DE inside but Wichmann allows the DE to slide of his right hand side. GRob has continued to try and drive and ends up the wrong side as the DE slips Wichmann, which allows the ILB to come behind GRob and make the stop with the DE.

2nd & 10. Pass

GRob is out quick and slides to block Ray. Hands are not into position quickly and this allows Ray to get both hands in to GRob's chest and Ray makes a few yards. GRob is still in it though and takes a small jump and pulls Ray off balance slightly and slows him further by trying to push him down. The pass was out safely but Ray ended up a little close to Keenum for comfort.

1st & 10. Run

Doubles the DE with Wichmann. GRob is fast off the snap and drives the DE on to his left leg & momentarily looks like the DE will go down but the DE gets his base back and keeps his feet under him. He is no impact on the play though.

2nd & 5. screen

Broncos show blitz with the ILB and send five. Initially looks like GRob has two men to block and allows the DE to go past unopposed. GRob does match up with Ray though and does a good job in blocking.

1st & 10. Run

Rams use zone blocking scheme. GRob is out aggressively from the snap and chases the OLB (Shaquil Barrett) 15 yards left away from the play.

2nd & 9. Pass

Broncos show blitz with ILB. Send four. GRob is matched up with the OLB (Barrett) but Barrett drops in to coverage. GRob turns inside and delivers a big right shoulder into the DE that knocks the DE flat on to his back.

NB: Something went badly wrong with the protection call and/or communication on the right side. Kendricks and Harkey lined up outside Saffold with Cunningham on that side too. Saffold came inside; Kendricks went downfield; Harkey and Cunninham step up to support the interior. The end result was an unopposed run to the QB for Von Miller. I'd guess at Harkey being at fault.

3rd & 9. Pass

Lines up with the OLB, who was out quick but GRob was too and meets him. GRob gets two open hands on the OLBs shoulders and is in control. Cunningham then comes past and a gives a big chip block that knocks the OLB around 360 degrees. GRob has it covered though and pushes the turning OLB into the dirt as he spins. Nice job.

3rd drive.

1st & 10. Run

GRob initially takes a big (and rather clumsy looking) right step to cover the inside rush and gets set with a wide and strong base. Ray doesn't want to know. GRob looks to come inside but Cunningham is already past.

2nd & 3. Pass

One on one with the DE. The DE takes a chip from Kendricks which slows his rush. GRob takes five steps mirroring the DE before contact. GRob is in perfect position and gives a two handed shove as the pass comes out. Simple and easy here.

1st & 10. Run

Rams go to zone blocking again. GRob is up and moving left, and with just his right hand he forces the DE to go that way too. Moved the DE about 6 yards with just one arm there.

NB: This zone blocking is not really working against the Bronco's 3-4. The line is getting lateral movement but the ILBs are not engaged and are just coming up and thumping the RB in which ever gap appears. Fortunately the RB shows good strength to make some yards.

2nd & 6. Run

Lines up with Ray. Ray feints a bull rush and then goes inside. GRob appears well set for the bull rush but struggles to react to the inside move. GRob keeps at it and pushes Ray's outside shoulder which slows Ray, but GRob ends up the wrong side. The pass was out quick which stopped Ray having an effect on the play, but that was definitely a win for Ray.

1st & 10. Pass (zone read)

GRob is off the snap noticeably quickly and drives inside at the DE. GRob's hands appear a little high on the DE but he manhandles the DE for about four yards.

1st & 10. Run

Doubles the DE inside with Wichmann. Between them they blast the DE off the line and rough him up. They let the guy go after moving him 8 yards downfield.

NB: Saffold got beaten with hands by the DE who dropped the RB. That was bad.

2nd & 9. Pass

One on one with the OLB (Ray) who comes from a wide starting spot. Ray goes for pure speed aroudn the outside and GRob never gets close enough to properly block. GRob ends up chasing Ray with two hands on his inside shoulder. The pass comes out quickly and GRob just (JUST!) did enough to send Ray high.

NB; From the side line camera, it looks like GRob had a little move control in sending Ray high, and that Keenum was safer than first appears. Was still uncomfortably close though.

3rd & 7. Pass

Ray comes from that wide starting position again and builds up a head of steam again. GRob has gotten out better this time and gets hands on Ray, but allows Ray to get two straight arms into his chest. GRob removes Ray's left arm and then forces Ray high. Ray keeps his legs driving and he is getting around the outside but GRob is slowing him. The ball comes out just as Ray manages to scrape Kennum's butt with a stretching right arm.

4th Drive.

1st & 10. Run

Zone blocking again. GRob comes inside and moves the DE a yard or so. Has high hands on the DEs shoulders, and a left slips off the DEs shoulder into his jaw and rocks the DEs head back. Wichmann's butt seals off the DE for the rest of the play.

2nd & 8. Pass (scramble)

Ray rushes but GRob meets him with good hands and a low base. Looks like GRob has him stopped dead but Cunningham comes past and chip blocks Ray, knocking him free insider. GRob has it covered though and as Ray is off balance is throws Ray flat on to his back. Hard. Replay shows that GRob may have used a judo foot sweep/trip; not clear if it was deliberate though.

1st & 10. Run

Initially goes at the DE with Wichmann, but after initial shove GRob slides off looking for the ILB. Brown is dropped before GRob can engage.

2nd & 6. Pass

Lines up with Ray and looks to be in a good position, with feet and hands well placed. Ray then pulls a right arm swim move and is past GRob in the blink of an eye. Wichmann was doubling the DE with Barnes and was alert enough to put out a left arm and get a handful of Ray's midriff, allowing Keenum an extra moment to get the pass out.

3rd & 6. Pass

Ray is lined up really wide again. Ray is up quick but Kendricks chips him as Kendricks is on his way to the flats, slowing Ray before he can fully get going. As Ray recovers GRob is on him and delivers a decent two handed hit. Decent footwork from GRob and the pass is out.

Although the first team offense remained on the field, GRob went in to the concussion protocol so did not come back out with Goff on the next drive.

However good Ray was though GRob did not give up any sacks or penalty yards; managing to not give up any penalties on plays where he had to recover against Ray was quite an achievement. He is also still and earth mover in the run game.

What is clear is that GRob does not look as good up against speed rushers. Although he looks better (and he does) he is not the finished article yet, and looks like he will need to be helped out by calling for plays that have quick passes. He also still looks susceptible to that inside rush. That has to improve. He also need to prevent rushers getting their hands in to him by getting to the punch first.

The protections could have helped him a little more. When a rusher as quick as Shane Ray is lined up some 6 to 8 yards outside and is clearly rushing, anyone is going to need help. Why it took until the 3rd time Ray was lined up a long way outside of GRob for them to realize he needed to be chipped before getting up to full speed is a bit of a mystery to me. A standing start against an on-coming 250lb speed rusher is going to be hard for any left tackle to deal with (yet Grob still managed it, I guess).

Overall, I had hoped for better. Nevertheless, I am going to call this a positive outing. Yeah, he didn't have it all his own way but that was never going to happen as Denver's D is too good to allow that (and Shane Ray looked good).

As an aside, whatever you think of the above GRob has to play this year as his back-up, Darrell Williams, looked flat out awful. If Williams makes the roster over Isaiah Battle then something is badly wrong.

want more...click links...shout out to Will for all his work fellas...
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/23/12611510/grob-watch-vs-the-chiefs

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/14/12472880/grob-watch-vs-the-cowboys

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't think he's even let a QB hit happen on his side. I haven't heard his name once and that's a good thing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think he is progressing well I just hope he signs an extension that is commiserate with his performance to date. I think the best of him is still to come and I don't want to see him take his talent elsewhere after suffering through his growing pains.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't think he's even let a QB hit happen on his side. I haven't heard his name once and that's a good thing.

One guy beat him to the inside on one play and rushed a throw. Thats the only blemish I've seen. And he is crushing the LOS in run blocking.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I finally got off the fence on GRob after the first quarter of Saturday nights game & came out in the Chat Rm.. I sorry I came late to the GRob fan club party.:party::cheers::banana:(y)

After GRob departed the game his OLT post was molested the rest of the game & caused Goff nightmares. Now we got a very ugly look at what Fisher has line up behind GRob in that post with Darrell Williams:shocking:. Without GRob standing guard our QB's will be spending a lot of time in the X Ray room.

I hope I see OL'ers Rodger Saffold & Tim Barnes on the sideline in shorts & Erik Kush's tank Tops against the Vikings. I let Donnal & Murphy handle the OT's posts.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well Bubba, I have been circumspect about him since last year. When we drafted the guy,I thought he had all the tools to be a great one. Not just good, but great. But then last year it seemed that he only had a good game (in year two) when Rodger Saffold was next to him at Guard, keeping him straight....THAT'S when I wondered if he was smart enough to play the position. I was impressed when he trained with LeCharles Bentley in the offseason, which told me that he cared enough to try to get better. HE wants to be a Left Tackle, and not a Guard...

Good for him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's realizing the potential and physical tools that made us draft him where we did. I'm glad to see it and look forward to see it continue.

jjab360

Legend
He looks like a different player this year, looking like a no.2 overall pick. Him realizing his potential would be a huge plus for our offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am so happy with the big guy's improvement that I don't want to risk jinxing it. This offseason we all discussed how important his play was to this line, so now that we're seeing what we hoped for I'm feeling a bit paranoid.

It's the fallout from season after season of OL injuries and disappointment, what can I say.

But he deserves cred, no doubt. Can't wait to see Gurley running left as the big fella pile drives whatever unfortunate pass rusher opposing teams have out there on the edge.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm a big Grob critic so will pipe in. And let me say I'm a critic because I rewatch all the game film carefully focusing on the oline and see the exact same thing that PFF and others see, that last year he was 2nd to worst Tackle in the NFL.

It's important to look at every single play and see if he is winning his battle vs giving a general feeling of how I may feel about him. Or to make a statement like "we havent heard from him so he must be improving".

Here is what I have seen in preseason, without detailing every single play.

His run blocking has been overpowering. He continues to show elite level power and possibly better hand usage. He is just blowing guys way out of the play in the run game like a man among boys and is not grabbing or holding on like he did last year. So probably improved there.

In the pass game he is just untested in the preseason. As another poster pointed out, he has not been tested by the speed rush. Think about the teams he has faced:

Dallas - 1st string pass rushers Lawrence and Gregory suspended.

KC- Hali and Houston did not play.

Denver - DE Ware did not play. Von Miller rushed from the other side.

Grob just has not faced any real pass rush and that is where his problem is. We knew he could run block and he is an asset there. I hope for our sake he has improved as a pass blocker vs the speed guys, but as of right now he hasn't been tested.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me; I was a Mathews guy. But... Once we drafted GRob I became a GRob guy.

He's been slow to develop, but not as "bad" as labeled. He's working hard, it appears, and that always brings results.

I continue to root for him. He's low on my concern list.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm one of the cut men in Grob's corner.... So far, only some minor swelling and no lacerations that need attention. Like many of you hopefuls, I'm Expecting a good season from the Big Fellow. (y)

addon.php

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
In the pass game he is just untested in the preseason. As another poster pointed out, he has not been tested by the speed rush. Think about the teams he has faced:

Well, untested in preseason games maybe ... but in practice, I'm sure Quinn has tested him a few times ... and will continue to test him in practice.

I'll predict that by this time next year, nobody will be debating whether GRob was worth it - the answer will be an emphatic "Yes!"