No-Huddle A Surprise in Rams Offense --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
No-huddle a surprise in Rams offense
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f77510f1-eb4a-5135-932e-275f61fe64cb.html

In their 2013 season opener against visiting Arizona, the Rams trailed 24-13 near the end of the third quarter. With time of the essence, the Rams went to a no-huddle, hurry-up offense and rallied behind quarterback Sam Bradford for a 27-24 victory.

The following week in Atlanta, the hole was even deeper. Trailing 24-3 in the third quarter, the Rams went no-huddle once again and made a game of it before falling 31-24 to the Falcons.

The next day, coach Jeff Fisher was asked about the no-huddle. Bradford seemed comfortable running it, the offense was productive. Was it something the Rams might consider running with regularity?

Fisher needed only one word for his answer.

“No,” he replied.

End of discussion. To a large degree, the no-huddle was put in mothballs — until Sunday, that is, against the Cleveland Browns.

With the offense in the doldrums, the Rams surprisingly went no-huddle, up-tempo on their first possession of the third quarter. They used it the majority of the time on three drives in the second half, and that helped the Rams expand a 10-6 lead into a 24-6 victory at the Edward Jones Dome.

“We just needed to change some things up,” Fisher said. “Try to get some more snaps. It worked.”

So a version of the 2013 question was dusted off and asked again. Given that success, is the no-huddle something we’ll see again from the Rams this season?

“Probably never, ever, see it again,” Fisher said sarcastically.

OK, that wasn’t really a “no.” Obviously, coaches never want to tip their hand. But coaches also never say never.

And in Nick Foles, the Rams certainly have a quarterback well-versed in the hurry-up, particularly from his days running the Chip Kelly mile-a-minute offense in Philadelphia.

“I love it,” Foles said. “I have a big history in it. It’s what I did in college, high school, even in Philly. So I love the offense we’re playing. I think it’s great to be able to do that. I think it really helps open things up and creates a rhythm. So it was fun to go out there and do that.”

Rhythm, not to mention yardage and first downs, is something that has been sorely lacking in the Rams’ 31st-ranked offense.

“Yeah, it’s just a way to try to show ’em something a little different,” Foles said. “Just try to go fast and put pressure on a defense and get some rhythm going.”

The first series going no-huddle against the Browns resulted in the missed 35-yard field goal by Greg Zuerlein. The second series produced the 1-yard touchdown run by Todd Gurley and included big chunks of yardage in the form of a 26-yard pass interference call against the Browns and a 41-yard reception by Kenny Britt. The third series ended in a three-and-out and included only one no-huddle play.

During his Wednesday media session offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti indicated that the switch to the no-huddle Sunday was a spur-of-the-moment decision.

“That’s something that just came up,” Cignetti said. “ ‘Hey, what do you think about maybe going no-huddle and giving us a spark?’ “Obviously, at that time, it was the right thing to do.”

By all accounts, it was Foles’ idea.

“Nick is trying to change the culture a little bit, and I’m happy that we are playing it,” left tackle Greg Robinson said. “He was even pushing us and encouraging us to just finish, you know what I’m saying? While you’re doing it, you’re like, ‘Man, I don’t really want to do this,’ but it’ll pay off at the end.”

The 332-pounder added with a chuckle, “Hopefully, the cardio will help me work on my physique a little bit.”

There you go — a side benefit to the no-huddle.

Letting Foles run the up-tempo style is a show of confidence by the coaching staff. Decisions have to be made quicker, and there’s generally more responsibility on the quarterback. Then again, the Rams’ philosophy under Cignetti is to give the quarterback some leeway running the offense.

“Well, we talk about the quarterback runs the offense,” Cignetti said. “Whether we huddle or whether we’re in no-huddle, he runs the offense. He has the ability to keep us out of a bad play-call.”

Foles did nothing running the no-huddle to lessen that confidence.

“The adjustments were good,” Fisher said. “(Foles) got together with the offense and said, ‘These are the things we’re going to do. Let’s go do it.’ He did it. So yeah, it’s good. I mean, we work on it. It’s a two-minute offense. We work on it in practice.”

As long as the offense doesn’t change personnel, it is next to impossible for a defense to bring in fresh legs while defending a no-huddle. It can wear out a defense, especially if it’s stuck with more of its big bodies on the field, such as its run-defense personnel.

With his overall conservative offensive approach, it’s hard to imagine a Fisher-coached team making extensive use of the no-huddle. But with the Rams groping for answers to get more production and more consistency on offense, the no-huddle could become part of Cignetti’s bag of tricks. An occasional cattle prod, if you will, to get things going.

“We evaluate it every week based on the opponent we play,” Cignetti said.

“It’s a week-to-week thing,” Foles said. “Last week, we just sort of switched it up. We needed to get something going. This week we’re going to run our offense and see where it goes.”

If nothing else, it gives San Francisco this week, and every other opponent the Rams face the remainder of the season, something else to prepare for and something else to think about.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can only hope Fisher is bluffing. He can be very stubborn at times. If the no-huddle works, then keep using it. Especially if Foles likes it!

Athos

Legend
If Foles is comfortable in it and likes it, use it.

Gurely and Austin in a no huddle would be even more deadly.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I also saw one play where they ran Gurley out of the 4 WR spread formation. I'd been waiting for this. Even with our passing game struggling, THIS is how to put alot of pressure on LB's when facing Gurley. I realize THIS is not our offensive identity, but i'd like to see them continue to use the spread to run out of occasionally.
275px-Ace_spread_green.PNG

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think FIsher's main beef with the hurry up O is that it counters his philosophy of winning the TOP battle if it fails. The problem is this offense (the OL in particular) is not ready to ground and pound its way down the field. He really does need to let Foles/Cigs run this offense according to what they see from the defense each week and stop running the same scripted plays regardless of how the positional match-ups are playing out on the field. That is just commons sense. Hopefully Fish isn't so arrogant that he can't listen to it.

Psycho_X

Legend
Fisher hates the no huddle because it some times leaves the defense on the field too much. BUT our freakin defense has been on the field most games for 2/3 of the game already. So there's no reason for them not to build on last week's no huddle success. Also, was going to say what Mojo said above in that no huddle lets the defense not get settled and using more wide open sets will get Gurley in more space with less big guys piled in front of him. A db isn't bringing him down.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think FIsher's main beef with the hurry up O is that it counters his philosophy of winning the TOP battle if it fails.

Fisher hates the no huddle because it some times leaves the defense on the field too much.

Well, coach, when your offense is stinking it up like it is, maybe TOP isn't as important as you think it is.

Here's a novel idea: Get a decent lead and watch your defense become even more dominating.

You're not going to win many games winning the TOP while your offense averages 18 PPG.

Geez... don't be a stubborn mule and let Foles and company give this a try. Clearly, it has shown more promise under TWO QBs than your plan of keeping the TOP in line.

I hope he changes... but I'm not counting on it...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't care if they huddle twice don't huddle at all or run the wildcat...they need to start sustaining drives and putting points up

jap

Legend
Well, coach, when your offense is stinking it up like it is, maybe TOP isn't as important as you think it is.

Here's a novel idea: Get a decent lead and watch your defense become even more dominating.

You're not going to win many games winning the TOP while your offense averages 18 PPG.

Geez... don't be a stubborn mule and let Foles and company give this a try. Clearly, it has shown more promise under TWO QBs than your plan of keeping the TOP in line.

Yeah, if the Horns can start out with a no-huddle scenario while the and roll up a quick lead, they can revert back to Fish's traditional ground & pound and have our Mob Squad really tee off on the opposing backfield. In fact, if they have to wait until the O gets in a groove first, they can go no-huddle until they establish a lead and then revert to Fish's offensive philosophy---best of both worlds. Having a thoroughbred like Gurley on the loose in a no-huddle scenario with no opportunity for defensive replacements for a stretch can be downright lethal---like virtually illegal! And then when the D has their tongues lolling out from sheer fatigue, we get Tavon the rock in the open field and have them all die of heart failure.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I also saw one play where they ran Gurley out of the 4 WR spread formation. I'd been waiting for this. Even with our passing game struggling, THIS is how to put alot of pressure on LB's when facing Gurley. I realize THIS is not our offensive identity, but i'd like to see them continue to use the spread to run out of occasionally.
275px-Ace_spread_green.PNG
You can still spread with two "tight ends", and from the pistol. I've always like the pistol.

With motion you can run screens and fake them, reverses, and do all kinds of things that we are/should be good at if one of those WRs is Austin :) Of course you match the other team's defense, and if your WRs are killing it maybe you go 3 wide, because in principle this is what I want to see them do to exploit how well Gurley and Tavon both can hit those outside runs, especially with the success we've had zone blocking. But to me the less you have to change your formation/personnel the better you can keep the defense guessing on pass/run (i.e. not lining up in shotgun on obvious passing downs), the more success I think we'll have actually pass blocking, because I don't think we're going to get that done on personnel alone this year.

Set-1-400x235.jpg

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You can still spread with two "tight ends", and from the pistol. I've always like the pistol.
For sure, but my point was to get Gurley some running room vs dime packages, DB's and LB's in one on ones.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Excellent quotes! Bradford also was most successful when utilizing a fast paced, up tempo offense. It's almost a if Fisher has the worlds best bass player who is an excellent musician on a conventional 4 string electric Fender bass, but Fisher is insisting "DAMN YOU, YOU WILL PLAY UPRIGHT ACOUSTIC FRETLESS BASS LIKE THE DUDE IN THE STRAY CATS AND LIKE IT!". Then the band sounds like crap and the bass player gets blamed for being the weak link.
You let your player thrive at what they do best! Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do? I don't get it. Being hard headed didn't work for some pretty big historic world leaders and it sure as heck won't result in maximum output for a team in football.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think the no huddle should be used in the 2nd half, when defenses are starting to get tired. I watch Philly do it this year, and they go 3 and out all the time, but in the 2nd half, it works better for them.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The article makes a good point that can help with the passing game. If they've got run defending personel on the field (and they will with Gurley) then running no huddle keeps big run stuffing DTs on the field who aren't quite as good pass rushing and that can help out the passing game by giving our interior line inferior pass rushers to block.

I don't think we have to run no-huddle all the time but I'd be perplexed if we didn't run it at least once a game from here on out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He really does need to let Foles/Cigs run this offense according to what they see from the defense each week
According to Cig's, in his most recent Video interview, this ^ is exactly what he and Foles do!! It's all in the execution I guess!!