No gurly for at least 3 weeks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PaRam24

UDFA
Just read a tweet from Ian Rappaport (sp) that Rams don't expect Gurly to see the field until after week 3, want him completely healthy and that would be 10 months.

PaRam24

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And yes I know it is Gurley, I am a horrid speller lol, sorry in advance

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Patience is a virtue. . .

Let the guy heal. Run some low contact practice runs with our team. Get his mind and body connection on point. What, he's only 20?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's still sooner than I expect, but Gurley may be a quick healer and fast learner.

FRO

Legend
Please just wait until after the bye. Not to be overdramatic, but he is our franchise player on offense. No need to wreck him before he is ready to go.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Let him sit out until Week 8, or even the whole season for all I care. Gurley isn't just about this year, he has a bright long future ahead of him here. I'd rather not ruin that over a few games.

jjab360

Legend
I wish I was as patient as you guys, I'd like to see him out there asap. I have a feeling if he's going to be re-injured it doesn't really matter when we send him out there past this point, tbh. I think he'll be ready to go though, dude's built like AD not like Sam Glassford.

Rainram

Starter
Organizationally they will be do what's best for him. No question there. And I'm totally cool with it.

From a fan's perspective, I sure hope we win early and often so it's a much easier pill to swallow.

iced

I wish I was as patient as you guys, I'd like to see him out there asap. I have a feeling if he's going to be re-injured it doesn't really matter when we send him out there past this point, tbh. I think he'll be ready to go though, dude's built like AD not like Sam Glassford.

I disagree - gotta get those core and surrounding muscles worked back into game shape. It's not just the ACL that took a break, but all the muscles around it too. We don't want a repeat of Bradford

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I get ya. My heart wants to see him out there as soon as possible, but my brain is telling me we should give him time. I just don't want to see him get re-injured when it could be prevented. That's why they have trainers and team doctors though, Gurley will play when they think he's up to it.

I have almost never been so excited for a Rams draft pick, so I'm itching to see him as soon as he can go. He's a monster. I know he hasn't even taken a snap yet, but this guy is a Hall of Fame talent. Let's hope he can live up to that.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Likely gonna be played around the bye week. He's already participating in practice (as limited as it may be). I have a feeling we'll see him soon.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Todd Gurley not expected to play until Week 4
By Around The NFL staff NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...todd-gurley-not-expected-to-play-until-week-4

Don't expect to see Todd Gurley make his much-anticipated NFL debut until Week 4.

The St. Louis Rams rookie running back, who is nearing the end of his 10-month rehabilitation from a torn ACL, isn't expected to play the first three weeks of the season, two sources informed of his recovery told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Tuesday. The team wants to play it safe with its first-round pick out of Georgia by making sure he's fully healthy.

Gurley has been cleared for contact drills by the team, and Rams coach Jeff Fisher said he could see an increased workload in practice in the days ahead.

"We're just going to build his reps on the practice field and we'll just see," Fisher said Tuesday. "We're going to probably pad up tomorrow, so he'll get a lot of reps tomorrow and then we'll back down Thursday and then go out there and have a fast Friday and he'll get a lot of reps. That's what we're looking for for him and we'll see how he is at the end of the week."

On Saturday, Fisher ruled out Gurley for the team's season opener against the Seattle Seahawks.

"I definitely would want to be playing, but I know it's going to be a long journey," Gurley said Monday. "You have to be patient and when the time comes it comes. I'll be ready for it."

Gurley isn't the only running back who will miss his team's season debut. C.J. Spiller continues to recover from arthroscopic knee surgery and will not play for the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, a source informed of the injury told Rapoport. He should be able to play Sept. 20 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

As for the Buffalo Bills, LeSean McCoy (hamstring), will play this week against the Indianapolis Colts, Rapoport reported, via a source who has spoken to him. He likely will see limited carries.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Agree with every post on here, and am as excited about him as anyone, but Gurley is not going to make (or break) this team. Peterson didn't do it in Minnesota.
Rams (and Fisher) need to get their other shit together.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Aside from allowing Gurley more time to heal, pushing back his debut actually allows the offensive line more time to gel and develop as a unit. Who knows, could reduce the risk of injury, as everyone begins to get more and more comfortable with their assignments on the line.

jap

Legend
Aside from allowing Gurley more time to heal, pushing back his debut actually allows the offensive line more time to gel and develop as a unit. Who knows, could reduce the risk of injury, as everyone begins to get more and more comfortable with their assignments on the line.

Yes, the OL needs to use all time available to gel. However, every Horn on the field needs to block especially when Tavon has the rock. This guy can take it to the house on any given play. So can the Gurley Train, but we know that Todd can create some of his own holes too.:sneaky::LOL:

Imagine having two lightening rod scorers on the field at the same time---three if Chris Givens insists on continuing to make himself relevant. We can pound on the ground; we can fly through the air, and we can make FG's from the distant side of the 50-yard line. These guys gotta go to work, create and identity, and maybe we can come up with an appropriate nickname.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams' Todd Gurley not expected to play until Week 4
By Around The NFL staff NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...todd-gurley-not-expected-to-play-until-week-4

Don't expect to see Todd Gurley make his much-anticipated NFL debut until Week 4.

The St. Louis Rams rookie running back, who is nearing the end of his 10-month rehabilitation from a torn ACL, isn't expected to play the first three weeks of the season, two sources informed of his recovery told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Tuesday. The team wants to play it safe with its first-round pick out of Georgia by making sure he's fully healthy.

Gurley has been cleared for contact drills by the team, and Rams coach Jeff Fisher said he could see an increased workload in practice in the days ahead.

"We're just going to build his reps on the practice field and we'll just see," Fisher said Tuesday. "We're going to probably pad up tomorrow, so he'll get a lot of reps tomorrow and then we'll back down Thursday and then go out there and have a fast Friday and he'll get a lot of reps. That's what we're looking for for him and we'll see how he is at the end of the week."

On Saturday, Fisher ruled out Gurley for the team's season opener against the Seattle Seahawks.

"I definitely would want to be playing, but I know it's going to be a long journey," Gurley said Monday. "You have to be patient and when the time comes it comes. I'll be ready for it."

Gurley isn't the only running back who will miss his team's season debut. C.J. Spiller continues to recover from arthroscopic knee surgery and will not play for the New Orleans Saints on Sunday, a source informed of the injury told Rapoport. He should be able to play Sept. 20 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

As for the Buffalo Bills, LeSean McCoy (hamstring), will play this week against the Indianapolis Colts, Rapoport reported, via a source who has spoken to him. He likely will see limited carries.
200.gif

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
What is the typical time line anyway? Off the top of my head, Carson Palmer tore his ACL on November 9th, back in time for pre-season. Tyrann Mathieu tore his ACL and MCL December 8th, back in time for week 2. Zach Mettenberger, tore his ACL 29th November, back in time for pre-season.

Are those 3 not typical or is that the norm and we're being extra cautious with Gurley? And if we are being extra cautious despite the fact that the odds say that he's fine to play, how extra cautious is cautious enough? If we sit him for half the season and he gets hurt on his first play, it won't be because he wasn't ready, it'll be because shit happens.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What is the typical time line anyway? Off the top of my head, Carson Palmer tore his ACL on November 9th, back in time for pre-season. Tyrann Mathieu tore his ACL and MCL December 8th, back in time for week 2. Zach Mettenberger, tore his ACL 29th November, back in time for pre-season.

Are those 3 not typical or is that the norm and we're being extra cautious with Gurley? And if we are being extra cautious despite the fact that the odds say that he's fine to play, how extra cautious is cautious enough? If we sit him for half the season and he gets hurt on his first play, it won't be because he wasn't ready, it'll be because crap happens.
The timeline is different for all players, really. But the reason he's being held out is because he needs to get up to speed with the offense - and more importantly - the protections. Fisher held out a perfectly healthy Zac Stacy and a perfectly healthy Tre Mason for weeks because they weren't yet ready to pass block. And sure, it's easy enough to put him in there specifically for designed run plays, but that kind of limits what Foles can do at the line in terms of checking out of those plays and into pass plays. Keeping Foles upright is more important, at this stage of the game, than rushing Gurley back because he's healthy. Being healthy is only the half of it.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
The timeline is different for all players, really. But the reason he's being held out is because he needs to get up to speed with the offense - and more importantly - the protections. Fisher held out a perfectly healthy Zac Stacy and a perfectly healthy Tre Mason for weeks because they weren't yet ready to pass block. And sure, it's easy enough to put him in there specifically for designed run plays, but that kind of limits what Foles can do at the line in terms of checking out of those plays and into pass plays. Keeping Foles upright is more important, at this stage of the game, than rushing Gurley back because he's healthy. Being healthy is only the half of it.

Hopefully that works out better than it did in 2013.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not surprising, the kid has gone months with no contact and limited action. Only a mad man would throw him out there right now only a scant number of practices to his name.