No Excuses For Rams. Just Look at Arizona

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
No Excuses For Rams. Just Look at Arizona

Posted by: Bernie Miklasz

http://www.101sports.com/2015/09/30/no-excuses-for-rams-just-look-at-arizona/

When the Rams released running back Isaiah Pead, the 50th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, it was the latest example of how the regime of GM Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher has failed to maximize the opportunity to transform a losing team into a winner.
isaiah pead

The Rams released RB Isaiah Pead on Tuesday.

No question, Snead and Fisher have improved this roster after taking charge of a team that had gone 15-65 in the five-season stretch (2007-2011) that preceded their arrival. And in some areas, the upgrades are substantial, especially on the defensive side. But the point is, Snead-Fisher didn’t take full advantage of having more draft picks (37) in their hands than all but two teams since 2012. (San Francisco had 40 picks; Minnesota 39.) And over the past four drafts, the Rams had more selections in the first three rounds (17) than any NFL team.

The 2012 draft is telling. The Rams had four of the first 50 choices overall and came away with defensive tackle Michael Brockers (14th), wide receiver Brian Quick (33rd), cornerback Janoris Jenkins (39th) and Pead (50.)

Brockers is a good player. Jenkins is talented, and he’s made some big plays, but he’s also suffered some burn marks with his aggressive, gambling style. Quick, a non-factor, has been excluded from the game-day roster over the first three weeks. And Pead was a flat-out bust. A 50 percent “hit” rate on top 50 draft choices doesn’t qualify as a success.

It’s fair to second-guess the decision to trade down from the No. 45 spot to the No. 50 slot to select Pead; by doing so the Rams bypassed a chance to draft future All-Pro middle linebacker Bobby Wagner who was taken by Seattle at No. 47. And wideout Alshon Jeffery went to Chicago on the 45th selection; he’s pulled in 2,999 receiving yards and 20 touchdown passes for the Bears.

Snead and Fisher deserve credit for pulling the Rams out of the muck. They went 7-8-1 in 2012, and followed up with a 7-9 mark in 2013. The progress was understandably viewed as a build-up to a breakout season in 2014, but the Rams stalled and went 6-10. And with upcoming road games at Arizona and Green Bay the Rams are looking at a strong possibility of staggering out to a 1-4 start in 2015.

Instead of winning more frequently in their third and fourth seasons under Fisher-Snead, the Rams have gone in the other direction. They’re losing more often, having dropped five of their last six games since late last season. They’re 7-12 since the beginning of 2014, mostly held back by a stagnant offense.

Instability at the quarterback position in 2013-2014 was certainly a factor that shouldn’t be overlooked. But with quarterback Nick Foles in place — joined by wide receivers, running backs, tight ends and offensive linemen brought in by Snead-Fisher — the Rams should be trending favorably on offense.
jeff fisher-7

Under Fisher, the Rams are 21-29-1.

After all, the Rams have invested 21 draft choices in the offense during the last four drafts — and supplemented the draft-first strategy with prominent free-agent signings and the Foles deal to stimulate their attack. But after three weeks, the Rams are last in the NFL in offensive points from scrimmage, with 43.

Snead-Fisher are into their fourth cycle of growing and developing the roster. But for the fourth consecutive year, the Rams entered 2015 season as the NFL’s youngest team.

The Perpetual Rebuilding Process is still in effect.

Question: why?

The Arizona Cardinals didn’t need four seasons to construct a winner.

In 2012, Snead-Fisher’s first season in St. Louis, the Cardinals went 5-11 and finished in last place in the NFC West.

After the ’12 season Cardinals team president and de facto owner Michael Bidwill decided to install new leadership at the top of the football operation. Bidwill promoted Steve Keim to GM and hired Bruce Arians as head coach. (Keim, by the way, was interviewed for the job that went to Snead.)

Despite starting a year later than Fisher-Snead, the Keim-Arians combination has guided their team to the league’s fifth-best winning percentage (.686) since relaunching the Cardinals in 2013.

The Cardinals are 24-11 over that time and made the playoffs last season.

The Rams are 14-21 over the same 35-game stretch.

The Rams haven’t had a winning season since 2003, and were last spotted in the postseason back in 2004. And if quarterback Carson Palmer can keep his knees intact, the Cardinals will likely zoom into the playoffs for the second consecutive season.

Keim and Arians have found the right balance in their roster composition, mixing draft picks with shrewd free-agent signings and the pivotal trade for Palmer before the 2013 season.

Keim and Arians have taken a more urgent approach to winning, bringing in multiple starters and contributors that range from age 27 to age 36. That list includes Palmer, left offensive tackle Jared Veldheer, tight end Jermaine Gresham, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, tight end Darren Fells, defensive end Frostee Rucker, linebacker LaMarr Woodley, running back Chris Johnson, guard Ted Larsen, defensive back Jerraud Powers and guard Mike Iupati.

Iupati — a three-time Pro Bowl choice and a bull in San Francisco’s running game during his first five NFL seasons — was sidelined with a sprained knee and missed the first three games and is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game vs. the visiting Rams.

The Cardinals also gave wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, 32, a new two-year deal before the season. Fitzgerald was seemingly in decline before Arians moved him to the slot-receiver position. And the revived Fitzgerald has 23 catches for 333 yards and five touchdowns in Arizona’s first three games.

With this blend of young players and viable veterans the Cardinals have jumped out to a 3-0 start this season, outscoring their three victims by 77 points. It’s early, but according to ESPN Stats & Information the Cardinals’ chances of winning the NFC West are 86.5 percent, and their chances of making the playoffs are 97.2 percent — with a projected final record of 12-4.

Keeping Palmer healthy is the overriding key to Arizona’s success, and last season he went down in with the second torn knee ligament of his career while playing the Rams in the sixth game. The offense gradually withered, and to no one’s surprise the Cards were rubbed out of the playoffs at Carolina in a game started by third-string quarterback Ryan Lindley.

The Cardinals are a different team with Palmer running point. As noted by Michael Silver of NFL.com, Palmer is the first Cardinals’ quarterback to win nine consecutive starts since 1948, and he’s 16-2 in his last 18 starts. Three games into 2015, Palmer is tied with Tom Brady for the most touchdown passes (9), and is ranked fourth in passer rating (117.8.)

Even with a heavy veteran influence and Palmer’s inherent injury risk, Arizona hasn’t sacrificed the future by assembling an old , brittle and vulnerable team. Going into the season, only 11 NFL teams had a younger roster than the Cardinals. By my quick count — which means it’s unofficial — 43 players on the Big Red’s current 53-man roster were brought in by Keim-Arians since their early-2013 hiring. That includes 19 draft picks and 16 free-agent signings.

It’s worth repeating: the Snead-Fisher Rams had a one-year head start on the Keim-Arians Cardinals.

And when you look at where these two teams stand as they prepare for Sunday’s game at Arizona, there’s no excuse for the Rams to be lagging behind the Cardinals.

Thanks for reading …

–Bernie

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Hard to argue - except that st loo sportswriter are in a win win situation in hammering the Rams. If they move - fuck em, they were no good anyway, and if they don't, well...we were just reporting the facts.

Ten words out of a thousand about the QB fiasco, no mention of how fortunate AZ was to grab Palmer. Or not having been weighed down with 3- #1 or #2 draft pick's out of this world gauranteed salaries.

Rams are not blameless at all, but it been "all dump all the time" this year so far.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
We are only 3 games into this season. I think I'll wait a bit to deside how bad i think our o-line, our offense, our team is....or where they will finish.....by the end of season Bernie may be writing the opposite.

Go Rams........... ;)

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
God I'm gonna enjoy the Rams smoking the Cards. I know they can, the team knows they can, and the Cards know they can.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So he opens b criticizing Snead and Fishers drafting ability? I don't agree with all of their picks but overall which GMs in recent years are more successful? Snead has to be near the top five right now for his drafts. Nobody hits on every round and some don't regularly hit on round 1.

Betnie conveniently forgets that in some years the drafts aren't tht great. 2012 comes to mind. In some drafts it is difficult to find star players. I have come to despise this guy and if I was Stan I would move out of St. Louis and then write an editorial on how the St. Louis press swayed him to move on more than any other factor, just for spite.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
We are only 3 games into this season. I think I'll wait a bit to deside how bad i think our o-line, our offense, our team is....or where they will finish.....by the end of season Bernie may be writing the opposite.

Go Rams........... ;)
And that's my point. Miklaz, Gordon (not as much), Thomas and Wagoner are all playing the butt hurt card now - in the event that...

When they end up staying, bet the tone of the pieces change.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It’s worth repeating: the Snead-Fisher Rams had a one-year head start on the Keim-Arians Cardinals.
This is also worth repeating...
Instability at the quarterback position(for the Rams) in 2013-2014 was certainly a factor that shouldn’t be overlooked.
Not taking anything away from Keim-Arians(they've done a great job) but as Bernie stated... Palmer is 16-2 in his last 18 starts.
Where would they be with Drew Stanton starting the last 18 games? Would they have won more than 6 or 7 games a year? Would the Cardinals have been as successful without their veteran starting QB? Of course not.
They'd probably look like a talented team that goes 8-8 every year.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Daaang. Bernie lets it all out right in the headline. No need to even listen to a papa john ad to get to the nut.

Fuck the cardinals!!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Hold on Bernie. Who have the Cards played? The Saints, the Bears and the Whiners.

Meanwhile, the Rams have played the Seahawks, an overachieving Redskins, and the Steelers, holding them to 12 points.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So he opens b criticizing Snead and Fishers drafting ability? I don't agree with all of their picks but overall which GMs in recent years are more successful? Snead has to be near the top five right now for his drafts. Nobody hits on every round and some don't regularly hit on round 1.

Betnie conveniently forgets that in some years the drafts aren't tht great. 2012 comes to mind. In some drafts it is difficult to find star players. I have come to despise this guy and if I was Stan I would move out of St. Louis and then write an editorial on how the St. Louis press swayed him to move on more than any other factor, just for spite.

I don't know why you'd screw us to annoy a columnist.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think it's fair to hold Snead accountable. I honestly don't know if he had to draft to Fisher's standards or not. Fisher, yes that's the life of a HC or anyone in charge. The hero if you succeed, the goat if you don't.

WvuIN02

Starter
He's right.

Carson Palmer was acquired for trading a 7th for a 6th and a conditional draft pick.... Why wasn't this the Rams making this trade? Why aren't they accountable for letting another quality QB go to not only a needy team but a division rival when Bradford was never even close to the same talent?

This regime has had every chance to get a franchise QB and has failed again it seems, as Foles is proving to be the same QB he was last year. Kudos to Arians and company for having the foresight to know a quality QB when they are available. I don't know how many passes you can get before we are hit with the sobering idea that maybe these guys just are not very good at evaluating offensive/QB talent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We are only 3 games into this season. I think I'll wait a bit to deside how bad i think our o-line, our offense, our team is

I am definitely still on this ^ train. 3 games is a little early to draw conclusions about anything. Sure, I am concerned in places, and some of the shortcomings feel all too familiar, but it's a 16 game season.

Who have the Cards played?

I think a lot of people underestimate this ^. I believe the Cardinals are a good team, but we'd likely be 3-0 with their schedule. So who is the better team if we'd both be 3-0 with that schedule? Once again... it's a 16 game season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's right.

Carson Palmer was acquired for trading a 7th for a 6th and a conditional draft pick.... Why wasn't this the Rams making this trade? Why aren't they accountable for letting another quality QB go to not only a needy team but a division rival when Bradford was never even close to the same talent?

This regime has had every chance to get a franchise QB and has failed again it seems, as Foles is proving to be the same QB he was last year. Kudos to Arians and company for having the foresight to know a quality QB when they are available. I don't know how many passes you can get before we are hit with the sobering idea that maybe these guys just are not very good at evaluating offensive/QB talent.
Carson was acquired by the Cardinals in the offseason following the 2012 season.
2012 was Fisher's first season here. Bradford finished that year with 21 TD's 13 INT's and played a full season.
At the time that move wouldn't have made any sense.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
IIRC Palmer was a washed up injury casualty before Arizona took a flier on him.

Personally I think the Pead Quick 2nd round was the only thing I can truly say they blew. Yeah, I would have taken Dallas's reputed trade offer instead of GRob or maybe a different player here or there, but that's not that different from what they did. Where the criticism comes in is getting that to translate to the field.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know why you'd screw us to annoy a columnist.

It was figurative. But it would be to turn the tables. Bernie is trying his best to get the city to hate Stan and the Rams. If he left because of Bernie it would get the city to hate him too.

I don't live there though. Maybe the city already hates Bernie. My point really is that this guy is not helping matters at all. None of the post dispatch guys are.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
One of the big failures of Snead and Fisher has been offensive line drafting.

It's too early to tell about this year where they basically reached into a bag to grab some guys. We'll see.

But we still don't know for sure about Greg Robinson. IS he the LT of the present AND future? So far he hasn't lived up to expectations, we'll see.

The only other linemen taken in 2014 was Rhaney who is still hanging on in a back-up role. And Van Dyk. They may as well have drafted Dick Van Dyke.

2013?

Barrett Jones--that's it.

2012?

Rok Watkins. That's it.

It's not like the line was a strength during those years either. Yes--you can argue they made a free agent splash with the Jake Long signing---that they tried to get their LT there.

But he was a guy who already had an injury history and who hadn't exactly been dominant in the role when they signed him. But he had a big name.

The point is that this team is still struggling to get the offensive line right.

In the meantime they picked questionable skill players. Tre Mason? He's good. Certainly he was worth the 3rd round pick. The other guy from 2014? Garrett Gilbert.

2013? Bailey and Austin. Austin is finally starting to pay dividends and Bailey is a steady performer--but not a top of fantasy draft sort of player. And...Zac Stacy.

2012: Quick and Pead and Richardson. Not looking good there.

In 2012 and 2013 the Cards basically drafted the right side of their line: Massie in 2012 and Cooper in 2013.

They supplemented with some smart plug-ins through free agency and a steady center who has been there for years.

The Rams feel like they have been scotch taping their line together from year to year.

For whatever reason...that line has been the stepchild for this team and they have had more misses than hits. And add the unstable QB position to that with lower level skill players and, frankly, what could you expect? They have not been able to fix this mess so far and this year is more of the same.

Fisher's quote the other day about the defense needing to win games may have been an offhand remark but it sure feels like that's an actual strategy sometimes--build the most dominant defense in football and don't worry about the offense---the defense will win these games.

Yes--Fisher must believe in a sound run game--they keep drafting running backs---but they've been miserable thus far building a line for the runner.

And the defense can not win these games by themselves.

Fisher has built half a team. It's a very good half. But half a team will not win championships.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
IIRC Palmer was a washed up injury casualty before Arizona took a flier on him.

Personally I think the Pead Quick 2nd round was the only thing I can truly say they blew. Yeah, I would have taken Dallas's reputed trade offer instead of GRob or maybe a different player here or there, but that's not that different from what they did. Where the criticism comes in is getting that to translate to the field.

Palmer always had big time talent though. If he hadn't been injured I would have been considering him (at the time anyway) close to elite. The fact is - its alright saying "if we'd have had the cards schedule we'd be 3-0" -- but we didn't - and we probably wouldn't be. Everyone on the planet thought we'd beat the Redskins. Yes the D played well against Pittsburgh. They can play well again on Sunday. Or the offensive wheels could fall off the cart. We don't know which Rams team will turn up. I kind of feel we know the Cards will turn up and be tough to beat. We might win - we have the talent to do so - but who knows. After 4 years of this program that's (the inconsistency - not the fact we might or might not beat the Cards - that's understandable) a huge problem. It shouldn't be the case. Bernie makes the point that Arians-Keims have turned them around quicker than we've been turned around. That's a fair point. We've been severely held back by the lack of a proper QB now since Bradford went down in Carolina in 2013 week 8 but we still have had a lot of pieces on the board to move about and they haven't been good enough often enough (see Pead, Isaiah for exhibit A).