No double space after period? And only people over 36 didn't know about this grammatical rule change

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was told I show my age by using the double space. On twitter I use single space because every character counts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could care less about improper grammar usage. For all intensive purposes their just simple mistakes irregardless of who written them

bluecoconuts

Legend
So how many sentences will you have to write to impact "page count" with that extra space? You're confusing letter spacing with line spacing. Double spacing between the lines of text is what inflates "page count". Repeating text also inflates "page count". Same for pictures and figures. :rant:

No I'm not, double space lines are standard. You'd be surprised what students do to achieve page count when they're weak writers. Double space after periods, changing period and comma sizes to increase the space giving them that little extra. Most don't use graphs and if anyone inserted a random picture it would negatively impact their grade.

bnw

Pro Bowler
No I'm not, double space lines are standard. You'd be surprised what students do to achieve page count when they're weak writers. Double space after periods, changing period and comma sizes to increase the space giving them that little extra. Most don't use graphs and if anyone inserted a random picture it would negatively impact their grade.
I'm surprised......but my degree required extensive writing so I never noticed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Single space doesn't look right. Double gives the new sentence the right amount of spacing IMO.

I do what I want dammit! Grammar Nazis can suck it.

Psycho_X

Legend
I could care less about improper grammar usage. For all intensive purposes their just simple mistakes irregardless of who written them

I'm not a grammar Nazi and I'm very loose with mine when typing on social media or message boards. But that post hurt my head.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm surprised......but my degree required extensive writing so I never noticed.

Most degrees that require a lot of writing will have better writers in it.. In the sciences we tend to have lazy writers, but the higher you go up the more important it is. Going for graduate degrees where you need to write research papers, obviously you'll get better writers out of it.

The spacing game doesn't add very much, it's more for the people that are a paragraph short and are too lazy to expand a little more. They think it doesn't stand out, but when you're reading 500 papers, you notice when the spacing is off or the punctuation is larger... Very easily in fact, it's often extremely noticeable. At least when you give them specific guidelines on it all.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me blow your minds a bit. I am going to an accredited university AND I've taken a few upper level short story fiction/writing classes, and I have double spaced throughout my time there....As for word count...lol...I normally write at LEAST 25% over what is required...Now lets rag on the new math that takes twice as long to do and the lack of memorizing multiplication tables, you young lazy bastids!
WINNING, Old School style!:rockon:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most degrees that require a lot of writing will have better writers in it.. In the sciences we tend to have lazy writers, but the higher you go up the more important it is. Going for graduate degrees where you need to write research papers, obviously you'll get better writers out of it.

The spacing game doesn't add very much, it's more for the people that are a paragraph short and are too lazy to expand a little more. They think it doesn't stand out, but when you're reading 500 papers, you notice when the spacing is off or the punctuation is larger... Very easily in fact, it's often extremely noticeable. At least when you give them specific guidelines on it all.
I'm entering a Masters program in Spring 2018, after acing every upper level course in my writing intensive major..HA!
D@mn younguns!
:rockon:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For what it's worth; our site here defaults to "single space" when a post is made. Said another way... put a double space it will render single space when a user sees it.

(If you go to edit, your double is still there... I think... until you save then it will once again render "single" )
SACRILEGE!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Didn't know, I'll still type/write the way I do irregardless. It's more funner when you start trolling the grammar police

bnw

Pro Bowler
Double space after periods and between state and Zip.
I agree. About 20 years ago I talked to a post office employee who actually routes the envelopes and asked what is the best thing a sender can do to make it less likely there is a screwup in mail delivery. What I was told was to hand write the envelope or most importantly the zip code. Apparently printed addresses start to blur well into a shift or are subject to greater error if read by machine and the hand printed zip code stands out. I was told to make the zip code as large as possible and on its own line even better.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Let me blow your minds a bit. I am going to an accredited university AND I've taken a few upper level short story fiction/writing classes, and I have double spaced throughout my time there....As for word count...lol...I normally write at LEAST 25% over what is required...Now lets rag on the new math that takes twice as long to do and the lack of memorizing multiplication tables, you young lazy bastids!
WINNING, Old School style!:rockon:
No shit. I still use most all the equivalencies I memorized in school. That stuff was so drilled into my head I'm surprised when I can't rattle off 1760 yards to the mile or 25.4 mm to the inch etc. . Remember when we had to waste all that time on the metric system when this country was supposed to switch to it? Interstate signs in kilometers etc. I still use the trig functions. I used to know the multiplication table up to 15.....I'm only good to 12 now. Apparently the schools haven't taught this stuff in quite some time. I usually chime in with the answer when someone pulls out their cell phone (brain) to look it up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, taught double space, do it by default now. Shouldn't be a big deal to anyone, right? But, somebody's always got to be right.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I can't help myself. "Irregardless" isn't a word. It's often confused with irrespective and regardless.

(I was in the Grammar Youth...)

It's not spaces that get me, though.

It's the s apostrophe s.

Like, "It was Jonas's responsibility to take out the trash."

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Jonas doesn't get an apostrophe s. The possessive of Jonas is Jonas'. NO S.

Drives me crazy.

They changed that rule also, in light of so many getting it wrong. So apparently if enough people get something wrong, we just change the rules now?

Well, no one uses damned turn signals anymore or pays attention to them when I use them, so why do I need that useless stick on my steering column?

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World I tells ya.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I can't help myself. "Irregardless" isn't a word. It's often confused with irrespective and regardless.

(I was in the Grammar Youth...)
Well his post was a joke. A good one too. He packed more than "irregardless" into it.;)