No business losing this game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
If the Rams are what we expect them to be, they should beat the Cards next Sunday.

They have so many edges in this game.

It's the Rams home opener.
Cards have a first year HC with little experience as a HC.
Fisher is established in his 2nd year with no DC mess.
Bradford is in his 2nd year in Shotty's system and has 3 receivers with under 4.5 speed who can separate easily.
The Rams got through the preseason healthy.
Cards lost their 1st pick OG Cooper.
The Rams DL that destroyed the Cards OL last year should be better this year.
Palmer is not a mobile QB and should be a sitting duck.

The major concerns are the Rams youth and inexperience and their penchant for penalties and fumbles.

If the Fisher can get them to play without self destructing, the Rams should win this game comfortably. I expect the Rams to score at least 3 TDs in this game and they should hold the Cards to under 14 pts.

Rams 27 - Cards 13

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
There's no pressure here right? :lol:

Other than the fact that we're not a mature team and it will probably takes us a few games to get our shit together, I agree that a loss would cause me to re-evaluate my thoughts about this team. A major re-evaluation.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'll be honest; a loss to the Cardinals in week one would crush my spirits.

I mean, it wouldn't be the end of the world... but it'd be darn close.

We should beat the Cardinals soundly. No excuse.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just hope they're not OVERconfident.
I mean, we beat them pretty good last year, and the defense may be thinking that they can mail this one in.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No early turnovers will be the key and constant pressure on Palmer who cannot move will hopefully be the big difference. IMO losing Pead for the first game might be a blessing because he scares me on kick off returns & maybe with Cunningham returning kicks they will keep that going forward.

Face it we're all nervous because many of us expect to win that game after the Cards, it's at the Falcons & Cowboys and home for the 49ers which will have many of us on pins & needles the next three weeks so the a loss to the Cards will crush us.

FLramFAN

Rookie
X said:
I mean, we beat them pretty good last year, and the defense may be thinking that they can mail this one in.

I "kind of" with you on this. If the AZ game were the 2nd game of the season, and the D had a really solid game in week #1 against another team, I might be more apt to think the D could be overconfident. But, with this being the first game of the season and a home game, I think the likelihood of a let-down is slim.
That said, I do think that the DL is going to have to pressure the QB as well or better this year in order to help make up for the inexperience of the 2 young S and Ogletree.
Another concern if the Rams D can stop, or at least slow the running game down. I'd love to see that happening so JL could move up closer to the LOS and start making more tackles in the holes and not 2-5 yards downfield.
This, I think, is going to be another year of growth for the Rams with all the first and 2nd year guys expected to make big contributions. I'd expect some poor play that you wouldn't get out of more seasoned players, but I'd expect some amazing plays that you wouldn't get out those older guys either.
Here's to hoping by the 2nd half of this season that the game has slowed a bit for the young guys and they can just play the game to show off their talents.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FLramFAN said:
X said:

I "kind of" with you on this. If the AZ game were the 2nd game of the season, and the D had a really solid game in week #1 against another team, I might be more apt to think the D could be overconfident. But, with this being the first game of the season and a home game, I think the likelihood of a let-down is slim.
That said, I do think that the DL is going to have to pressure the QB as well or better this year in order to help make up for the inexperience of the 2 young S and Ogletree.
Another concern if the Rams D can stop, or at least slow the running game down. I'd love to see that happening so JL could move up closer to the LOS and start making more tackles in the holes and not 2-5 yards downfield.
This, I think, is going to be another year of growth for the Rams with all the first and 2nd year guys expected to make big contributions. I'd expect some poor play that you wouldn't get out of more seasoned players, but I'd expect some amazing plays that you wouldn't get out those older guys either.
Here's to hoping by the 2nd half of this season that the game has slowed a bit for the young guys and they can just play the game to show off their talents.
Yeah, and you can bet Arians is gonna try to exploit our weaknesses on defense too. The key to this entire game, IMO, is right smack on the D-line. Get to Palmer early and often, and they could win this one walking away...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

They stunk it up in preseason, tons of mistakes, penalties, and TOs. My guess is that Fisher will be all over them and actually is privately happy that he can beat them up on it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:

They stunk it up in preseason, tons of mistakes, penalties, and TOs. My guess is that Fisher will be all over them and actually is privately happy that he can beat them up on it.
Probably. But I was talking about our starting D-line having flashbacks of what they did to all 27 of Arizona's QBs last year. lol.

fearsomefour

Legend
Early in the Ravens game you could see what young teams are capable of doing in the negative....balls popping out everywhere and tons of penalties. Frankly, Im glad Pead isent there to put the ball on the ground week one.
Austin needs to be aware when he is running in traffic. Guys in the NFL take good angles to tackles and are all fast....this is why he is not going to have nearly the number of breakaways he did in college. His fumble vs. Baltimore was just being unaware of someone catching him from behind. Growing pains. So it goes.
I really think the Rams need to have balance on O week one. Even if the running isent getting yards in chunks they need to maintain balance. The matchups on the lines are going to be key. The Cards have some very good players. The Olines ability to play at speed vs. quality starters (Saffold at his new RT spot) and play as a unit (the interior line picking up switches and stunts) will be a major key.
Week one is a great opportunity to get out 1-0. They young guys just have to try not to sqeeze 16 weeks worth of play making into one game. Week two is a great opportunity for a young D to earn some stripes vs. a very good O on the road.
The Rams improved their win total by 5 games by scoring just a few more points last year. If they can add another 6 points a game scored and allow 3 fewer this is a playoff team.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I feel the same way since it's a home game.

But, these guys play a game where a tipped pass or mere funky bounce of a ball can change the outcome of games.

F. Mulder

Starter
The Rams have no business being "over-confident". They had a marginal record last year, they were NOT a playoff team so let's get that out of the way at the start.

They need to use the emotion of the opening home game, vs. a divisional opponent, to their advantage and get up early on Arizona and then keep the pedal down (unlike previous years where they let teams hang around too long). Try to come out and take care of the ball, keep the penalties down and play your game.

I think this is where Fisher and his staff are critical in having the right balance of emotion and confidence, but not at the point of being foolish and out of control.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
F. Mulder said:
The Rams have no business being "over-confident". They had a marginal record last year, they were NOT a playoff team so let's get that out of the way at the start.

They need to use the emotion of the opening home game, vs. a divisional opponent, to their advantage and get up early on Arizona and then keep the pedal down (unlike previous years where they let teams hang around too long). Try to come out and take care of the ball, keep the penalties down and play your game.

I think this is where Fisher and his staff are critical in having the right balance of emotion and confidence, but not at the point of being foolish and out of control.

I agree FM.

That's why I think Fisher is happy about the mistakes. That will help him keep the kids from being overconfident.

Really, it's all on Fisher to get this win. His reputation is squarely on the line here. Is he a great coach?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
F. Mulder said:

I agree FM.

That's why I think Fisher is happy about the mistakes. That will help him keep the kids from being overconfident.

Really, it's all on Fisher to get this win. His reputation is squarely on the line here. Is he a great coach?
His reputation is on the line regarding that game?
I don't see that...

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Damn, this a huge game. With the way the schedule plays out losing this first one at home could get the ball rolling the wrong way in a hurry. Don't want all our young studs to start doubting their abilities. That being said I think we will handle our business just fine against the Cards.

Keep the penalties to minimum and hold onto the ball, we should take this one by 10 or 14 pts.

Gonna say 24-10 Rams.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
max said:
F. Mulder said:

I agree FM.

His reputation is on the line regarding that game?
I don't see that...

Good! Allow me to explain.

The Rams haven't won their first game in 7 years. Fisher lost last year in Detroit when he should have won but it wasn't an issue since they were heavy underdogs. Nonetheless, Fisher was clearly upset about it and wasn't accepting any congratulations for being so competitive in that game. He knew he should have won that game and let it slip away.

Now here he is again, season opener, only this time with a better team and at home. This is Fisher's singular opportunity to get his team off on the right foot and get his young players believing something is different. Great coaches do that. They find ways to win these games.

Fisher has the QB that he blessed, and a solid defense. Fisher has had months to prepare for this one game. If he loses this game it won't be because he didn't have enough talent, or time to prepare, or a hostile environment. Fisher would have to be outcoached to lose this game. And if he is outcoached that will be a hit on his reputation.

Fisher knows he needs to win this game. With the next 2 games being tough ones on the road, if he loses this game it could get ugly fast.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
max half right:
They're defense was superb. All the more so because of their struggles on offense.
Game 1 Cards 17 GB 0
Game 2 Cards 12 Cowgirls 7 (Cowgirls shut out until the 4th quarter).
Game 3 Cards 0 SD 14 at the half (SD scored 7 of those points on a fumble recovery)
Game 4 who cares.

3 games and 7 points given up in the first half.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
albefree69 said:
max half right:
They're defense was superb. All the more so because of their struggles on offense.
Game 1 Cards 17 GB 0
Game 2 Cards 12 Cowgirls 7 (Cowgirls shut out until the 4th quarter).
Game 3 Cards 0 SD 14 at the half (SD scored 7 of those points on a fumble recovery)
Game 4 who cares.

3 games and 7 points given up in the first half.

I expect Bradford and his new weapons to tear them up. This should be a coming out party for Sam. The Cards won't know what hit them. It's gonna be like Bradford back at OU all over again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Losing to the eventual 4th place team in the division on opening day in your own house is no bueno. Another word i would use is unacceptable.

In 2013:
-Rams need to learn to take care of business against ALL sub par opponents.(Arizona qualifies)
-Immediately establish the home field.(AZ qualifies)
-Continue the dominance within the division(AZ qualifies)

Of course there are many other areas where improvement is needed to become a more complete team...outside the division,on the road etc...but week 1 vs AZ cannot be a loss.

A55VA6

Legend
Yeah if we lose this football game I'll be in shock.. and most likely lose alot of hope for the season. But it's only 1 game and you never know what will take place leading to that loss if it happens.

I'm thinking we start out strong and really make the NFL worry. I'm not saying we'll blow them out, but we should be able to get a nice home win and start off 1-0.