Nixon to discuss Rams stadium situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBill

Legend

Nixon to discuss Rams stadium situation

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_48e9de88-9c2f-5dcb-b6ad-fa38b6807821.html

After months of silence on both sides, Gov. Jay Nixon will hold a media conference call Wednesday to discuss the Rams' stadium situation and the next step towards keeping the team in St. Louis.

Nixon's comments are expected to be general but positive in nature, stressing the state's and the region's commitment to coming up with a solution. Expectations are that there will be no specific details on the stadium plan discussed in the conference call, but according to sources familiar with the situation, such plans will be made public by the end of the calendar year.

It is expected, however, that Nixon will talk about formation of a committee or task force to deal with the stadium issue. It's not known whether Nixon will reveal any or all of the names of committee members Wednesday.

As reported last month by the Post-Dispatch's Bryan Burwell, the stadium site is located north of Lumiere Place and south of the Stan Musial Bridge on the north edge of downtown. The plan at this point seems to be to construct an outdoor stadium, with space for large surface parking lots as well. Burwell also reported at that time that the silence from local negotiators would be broken after the Nov. 4 elections.

The Rams were made aware of the conference call and were in contact with the governor Tuesday. The team has yet to see any form of stadium design plans from the city/region.

As a result of a "first tier" clause in the team's stadium lease, the Rams can seek to move elsewhere by notifying the league of their plans as early as Feb. 15, 2015. And there has been plenty of speculation about the possibility of the team moving to Los Angeles.

But one of the provisos of the NFL approving such a move is that all efforts must be exhausted to keep the team in its current city. If nothing else, Nixon's remarks Wednesday should buy the city some time and make it all but impossible for the Rams to relocate in 2015 _something that logistically would have been very difficult to do anyway.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Thanks Rambill for posting. The press conference is scheduled for 9:45 am central time - I am assuming 920 AM and 101 will carry it (but I can not confirm at this time- will update if I can).

Please everyone do not post opinions on this, the result of it, or what it "means" here that might/would/could turn this into one of those threads the mods need to delete (for good reasons).

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Let's hope the movement by Gov. Nixon prompts a response from ownership that can give a legitimate basis for discussion.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Wow, Burwell said they would say something after the elections. I guess he wasn't kidding, this is politics at its finest! I don't care as long as we do whatever it takes to keep the Rams in St. Louis!

moklerman

Warner-phile
Is open-air really the best way to go? It's gotta be retractable roof IMO.

Also, I haven't seen this posted yet but it certainly applies to the situation:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinio...cle_d5a850ee-6dc8-52de-b626-1e32579eaf2c.html
Any public money for a new stadium is up to the voters
November 02, 2014 12:00 am
It was 10 years ago, on Nov. 2, 2004, that St. Louis County voters made history by approving a ballot proposal, Proposition A, that requires voter approval before any tax dollars can be spent on a sports stadium. It was approved by an incredible 72 percent — 346,019 voters cast "yes" votes.

Proposition A was put on the ballot by the initiative petition process. A diverse group of Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Green Party members, people of faith and veterans all came together and collected 35,000 signatures to get the proposal before St. Louis County voters. They previously used the initiative to put a similar proposal on the ballot in St. Louis in 2002, and it was approved by voters.

While many needs in this area go unmet, taxpayers are paying on the $720 million cost of the Edward Jones Dome and hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies and forgone revenue for the St. Louis Cardinals' new baseball stadium. Yet now there is talk of building a new football stadium to keep the Rams in St. Louis.

Thanks to those who collected the signatures for the petitions, those who signed the petitions and those who voted for the ballot proposals, there will be no stadium funding from St. Louis or St. Louis County with tax dollars unless voters approve. The power is in the hands of the people — not the politicians.

Fred Lindecke • St. Louis County

Coalition Against Public Funding for Stadiums

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Is open-air really the best way to go? It's gotta be retractable roof IMO.

Also, I haven't seen this posted yet but it certainly applies to the situation:
http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinio...cle_d5a850ee-6dc8-52de-b626-1e32579eaf2c.html
Any public money for a new stadium is up to the voters
November 02, 2014 12:00 am
It was 10 years ago, on Nov. 2, 2004, that St. Louis County voters made history by approving a ballot proposal, Proposition A, that requires voter approval before any tax dollars can be spent on a sports stadium. It was approved by an incredible 72 percent — 346,019 voters cast "yes" votes.

Proposition A was put on the ballot by the initiative petition process. A diverse group of Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, Green Party members, people of faith and veterans all came together and collected 35,000 signatures to get the proposal before St. Louis County voters. They previously used the initiative to put a similar proposal on the ballot in St. Louis in 2002, and it was approved by voters.

While many needs in this area go unmet, taxpayers are paying on the $720 million cost of the Edward Jones Dome and hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies and forgone revenue for the St. Louis Cardinals' new baseball stadium. Yet now there is talk of building a new football stadium to keep the Rams in St. Louis.

Thanks to those who collected the signatures for the petitions, those who signed the petitions and those who voted for the ballot proposals, there will be no stadium funding from St. Louis or St. Louis County with tax dollars unless voters approve. The power is in the hands of the people — not the politicians.

Fred Lindecke • St. Louis County

Coalition Against Public Funding for Stadiums

It is my understanding there are numerous ways that TIF money and other public funds can be allocated to stadiums that do not pertain to what this letter addresses. Chaifetz Arena was built using a degree of public funds after this passed.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would really like Stan to go the extra mile and make the stadium a retractable roof similar to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. By doing this it would make the Gateway City eligible to host a Super Bowl.

Irish

Starter
It is my understanding there are numerous ways that TIF money and other public funds can be allocated to stadiums that do not pertain to what this letter addresses. Chaifetz Arena was built using a degree of public funds after this passed.
Tifs, land grants, tax exemptions, utility considerations, public works concessions are all real, tangible sources of capital at the city's disposal that requires no public vote.

People talk about 1 Billion dollars being required for a stadium. What they fail to realize is this hypothetical number includes things that go way, way beyond just cutting a ridiculous novelty check payed to the order of one Stan Kroenke. The city has a lot of bullets in their chamber.

Dave Peacock being named to the commission today is great news for St. Louis.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Three stadiums come to mind that may be what the riverfront stadium could resemble...LP Field, Paul Brown Stadium, and Heinz Field.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Dave Peacock was the single most important reason that the Rams stopped the London game fiasco.

The part that some are missing and was alluded to in the presser is that the public money is already allocated to the Ed Dome Bonds....they pay off in 2021. All that has to happen to finance the new stadium is to extend the life of the bonds by the state, city and county.

And yes I am semi retired from bulletin board wars but still very very active on twitter. So look me up there

Jimi

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Exactly the tax money is already there, they would just reallocate it thus not needing a vote. The I found interesting is they said that st louis is an nfl city leading me to believe that there will be a team here even if the rams leave, which I dont think they will. It really sounds like the city and state are stepping up to get this done. Hopefully Stan will do the same.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I would really like Stan to go the extra mile and make the stadium a retractable roof similar to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. By doing this it would make the Gateway City eligible to host a Super Bowl.

It really wouldn't make any sense to build a brand new stadium that did NOT meet the standards of hosting a Super Bowl.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Sooo... Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara is ineligible for a Super Bowl hosting gig?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I would prefer an open air stadium with lots of surface parking for tailgating much like Arrowhead.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
Think of the enormous home field advantage in November and December playing vs Seattle, SanFran and Arizona in the cold open air.

iced

don't forget they can get $200 Million in the G4 Loan from the NFL

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I would prefer an open air stadium with lots of surface parking for tailgating much like Arrowhead.
I think that is 100% part of the plan and very doable with the location being rumored.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sooo... Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara is ineligible for a Super Bowl hosting gig?
The average high temp in St Louis that time of year 42 is lower than the average low temp in San Fran 44.

I agree the objective aught to include a Super Bowl possibility ,and would take care of the future criteria of remaining in the upper echelon of stadiums

Status
Not open for further replies.