Niners are first 10-1 underdog in a decade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Niners are first 10-1 underdog in a decade, plus five more wild stats about 49ers-Ravens matchup

When the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers meet on Sunday, we could easily be watching a preview of Super Bowl LIV.

Entering Week 13, these two teams are arguably the hottest in all of football. The 49ers (10-1) are fresh off a prime-time shellacking of the Green Bay Packers and are tied with only the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots for best record in the NFL. The Ravens (9-2), meanwhile, possess the MVP frontrunner in Lamar Jackson, who single-handedly tore apart the defending NFC champion Los Angeles Rams on Monday night and have now won seven straight to all but lock up the AFC North.

When the Ravens and Niners clash in Baltimore at 1 p.m. ET, we could also be watching one of the most unusual games, at least statistically speaking, of the entire 2019 season.

For starters, as the San Francisco Chronicle reported, the 49ers are the first 10-1 team in more than a decade -- 12 years, to be exact -- to enter Week 13 as an underdog. The consensus among oddsmakers has the Ravens favored by six points, and yet we haven't seen a 10-1 team without a point-spread advantage since 2007, when the Green Bay Packers took on the Dallas Cowboys, who were also 10-1 at the time. (Green Bay went on to lose by 10, failing to cover the spread.)

Now, is it that big of a deal that a 10-1 team isn't favored against a 9-2 team? Not necessarily. The 2015 Thanksgiving Day matchup between the Cowboys and Carolina Panthers, who were 10-0 but opened as underdogs to a 3-7 Dallas team, was probably even more of an anomaly. We all know both the Ravens and 49ers are capable of winning this weekend. It's also not every year the NFL sports a 10-1 team to begin with. But the fact the Niners also enter Week 13 with one of the most highly touted defenses in recent history makes their six-point underdog status all the more notable.

Check out these other crazy numbers in advance of this week's anticipated matchup:

• As NFL Network's Tom Pelissero noted this week, defensive coordinator Robert Selah has San Fran allowing just 136.9 passing yards per game, which is the fewest yards allowed by any team since 1980. NFL Research indicates the Miami Dolphins once actually allowed fewer yards, but that came during a lockout-shortened season, and even that was back in 1982.
  • The Ravens may be favored by six, but when you consider what they've done in recent weeks, six points almost seems absurdly low as a projected advantage. The Niners may have a strong "D," but in Baltimore's last five games, Lamar Jackson and Co. have outscored opponents -- including playoff contenders like the Patriots, Houston Texans and Seattle Seahawks -- 202 points to 62. That's a difference of 20 touchdowns, or an average of 28 points per game.
  • The 49ers are unbeaten on the road (5-0) this season, but both they and the Ravens have the same record against the spread (6-4-1). San Fran is 3-2 in away games ATS, while Baltimore is 2-3 at home ATS. Something's got to give.
  • While San Francisco easily has the top pass defense in the NFL, the 49ers are actually quite vulnerable against the run, allowing an average of 111.1 yards per game on the ground -- 19th in the league. Any idea where the Ravens happen to rank in rushing offense? No. 1, and by a country mile. So if Selah's unit has you convinced the Niners are going to spoil Baltimore's return home and upset the oddsmakers, you might want to think again.
The Ravens and 49ers kick off on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on FOX.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

after watching the celebrations from these two fucked up teams i'm gonna call this game

THE GAYBOWL

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have no doubt that the fix is in an the officials will determine the outcome of this game just like they do every other game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • As NFL Network's Tom Pelissero noted this week, defensive coordinator Robert Selah has San Fran allowing just 136.9 passing yards per game, which is the fewest yards allowed by any team since 1980. NFL Research indicates the Miami Dolphins once actually allowed fewer yards, but that came during a lockout-shortened season, and even that was back in 1982.

They also have the 2nd highest scoring offense and second best points against defense.

I have no doubt that the fix is in an the officials will determine the outcome of this game just like they do every other game.

1574866822587.png

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes sense to me... Ravens are at a completely different level than anyone else right now.

I don't see the slaughter like the Rams... but I c definitely see a lopsided game.

Whiners lose...
(Rams fans win)

Ram65

Legend
It will be interesting to see what Salah comes up with on defense. The Whiners are not strong against the run. The Ravens can run inside and outside. If the Whiners can stop the inside run game maybe they can control the outside run game better than the Rams. It will be hard as they are more of a pass rush defense but, they have some size on the D Line. I would favor the Ravens but, it could be a close game.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
That Baltimore squad behaved like a bunch of fucktards against us. I get it and all, but the lack of class was exceptional.

I hope the 49'ers beat the shit out of them, and put a hurting on some people too, literally.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
That Baltimore squad behaved like a bunch of fucktards against us. I get it and all, but the lack of class was exceptional.

It all flows from Harbaugh. He has been one of the bigger cockheads in the league for a while. He just doesn't get the press that Payton and Carroll get.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Ravens are a one-trick pony. Take that pony away and they have nothing. Jackson gets hurt, the Ravens are screwed.