Nine straight years of a rookie starting QB in Week 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...aight-years-of-a-rookie-starting-qb-in-week-1

Nine straight years of a rookie starting QB in Week 1
0ap3000000408080.jpg

• By Conor Orr
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Sept. 8, 2016
Carson Wentz's debut for the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday against the Browns and Dak Prescott's start against the New York Giants will keep alive a recent trend surrounding rookie quarterbacks in the NFL.

According to the NFL, this is the ninth straight year that at least one rookie passer starts on opening weekend, which more than doubles the second-longest streak in the Super Bowl era (1968-71).

The previous quarterbacks during the streak?

» 2008 - Matt Ryan (Atlanta, W), Joe Flacco (Baltimore, W)

» 2009 - Mark Sanchez (NYJ, W), Matt Stafford (Detroit, L)

» 2010 - Sam Bradford (StL, L)

» 2011 - Andy Dalton (Cin, W), Cam Newton (Car, L)

» 2012 - Robert Griffin III (Was, W), Andrew Luck (Ind, L), Ryan Tannehill (Mia, L), Brandon Weeden(Cle, L), Russell Wilson (Sea, L)

» 2013 - E.J. Manuel (Buf, L), Geno Smith (NYJ, W)

» 2014 - Derek Carr (Oak, L)

» 2015 - Jameis Winston (TB, L), Marcus Mariota (Ten, W)

Given recent trade developments in Philadelphia and Prescott's white-hot preseason, it's safe to say that this debut is on par with last season's Winston-Mariota battle to start the season in terms of anticipation. The Eagles have entrusted Wentz with their future -- and after only 12 completions over 24 attempts in one preseason game.

Eagles general manager Howie Roseman recently gushed about the quarterback in an appearance on Good Morning Football, comparing his movement to that of a gazelle and hinting that his offensive acumen is on the cutting edge of the league’s development arc.

The Cowboys have already seen Prescott -- starting in place of an injured Tony Romo -- against starting-caliber competition and could use his mobility to add a new wrinkle to their high-powered offense alongside first-round pick Ezekiel Elliott.

And honestly, what would opening weekend be without at least one new quarterback to break down? The last time we were deprived of the option was back in 2007, when JaMarcus Russell was taken with the No. 1 overall pick and Brady Quinn went No. 22 to the Browns.

Russell got his first start on Dec. 30 that season in a 30-17 loss to the Chargers. Quinn, meanwhile, had to wait until 2008 to make his debut on Nov. 6 in a loss to the Broncos.

Well we are going to get these kind of media exploits every week until Goff takes his first regular season snap.. Oh well It changes my opinion of JG 0%. Keenum holds all the cards as long as he plays well and who in their right minds would root for him to fail?

11297557_ranking-the-rookie-qbs-from-nfl-preseason_110e65a5_m.jpg

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Eagles general manager Howie Roseman recently gushed about the quarterback in an appearance on Good Morning Football, comparing his movement to that of a gazelle and hinting that his offensive acumen is on the cutting edge of the league’s development arc.
That's a healthy dose of GM speak, but it's still one of the main reasons I wanted the Rams to draft him. Looked like the Rams were tinkering with the idea of incorporating more zone-read stuff into their offense last year, and they offered some comments about how Seattle did things, so it made sense at the time and it looked like they were gonna pull the trigger. Really would have liked to see them go full zone-read this year with a guy like Wentz, but they clearly have different plans. Dunno what they are, but they have 'em.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a healthy dose of GM speak, but it's still one of the main reasons I wanted the Rams to draft him. Looked like the Rams were tinkering with the idea of incorporating more zone-read stuff into their offense last year, and they offered some comments about how Seattle did things, so it made sense at the time and it looked like they were gonna pull the trigger. Really would have liked to see them go full zone-read this year with a guy like Wentz, but they clearly have different plans. Dunno what they are, but they have 'em.

At first I was split with Wentz and Goff at the beginning when I started watching all their film. When I completed my marathon film sessions of both, I was convinced both would be good NFL QB's. I came to the conclusion (different from the NFL media scouts) that Goff had the higher ceiling and was going to be a rare special QB. I will not bore you or anyone else of the details this late in the game etc..

Anyway I'm not at all surprised that Wentz is the first man up and I think he will do decent against the Browns Sunday and likely have a respectable rookie season if he stays healthy. To your point of Wentz being a better fit for the Rams redzone scheme and where it was trending toward to in 2015 (I dunno know either X) but fortunately that was where JG was sensational at Cal albeit a different animal than what Wentz would've brought to the table.

Wentz was the perfect fit for the 2016 Jeff Fisher/Boras run first Rams and those that championed for Carson are going to be sick every game he gets better for the Eagles and puts on a highlight show.

Your redzone comments are not to be ignored and Wentz with Gurley inside the 20 yard-line would've been fun to watch. I truly believe if they continue to tinker and build the offense more to fit JG when he's able to take the reins, he will make us forget all the negative drama written and said about him at this stage in his career. Like most of us, I'm not letting the success of Wentz or the Goff drama take front stage of the 2016 season to the best of my ability.

I just want this 2016 Rams team to get out of the gate 4-2, 5-3 and make this an enjoyable season. The problem is every bad game the Rams passing offense has or INT Keenum throws, or highlights of Wentz and Prescott TD passes, it will have its impact on us fans in one way or another as you already know @-X- :sick:

Rain-Sad.gif

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Recent history favors rooks that can run the read option. Cam was nowhere near ready to drop back and pass, but as a containment threat defenses had to be careful and they schemed up a nice basic attack he could handle that season, adding to it later. Same deal with Wilson, he actually was ready to drop back and pass, but that element with the zone read helped to keep DCs in check a bit.

Wentz is a guy who can do that read option type attack. It's riskier for health, but he's got everything you need for it.

And before people get depressed, the good thing here is the best drop back passers last the longest in this league. Guys who can dish it quick and accurately, and Goff has what you want there. So IMO folks just need to wait to judge the kid. Give him a chance, because if the Rams hit on him we have a decade of winning on the horizon.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
At first I was split with Wentz and Goff at the beginning when I started watching all their film. When I completed my marathon film sessions of both, I was convinced both would be good NFL QB's. I came to the conclusion (different from the NFL media scouts) that Goff had the higher ceiling and was going to be a rare special QB. I will not bore you or anyone else of the details this late in the game etc..

Anyway I'm not at all surprised that Wentz is the first man up and I think he will do decent against the Browns Sunday and likely have a respectable rookie season if he stays healthy. To your point of Wentz being a better fit for the Rams redzone scheme and where it was trending toward to in 2015 (I dunno know either X) but fortunately that was where JG was sensational at Cal albeit a different animal than what Wentz would've brought to the table.

Wentz was the perfect fit for the 2016 Jeff Fisher/Boras run first Rams and those that championed for Carson are going to be sick every game he gets better for the Eagles and puts on a highlight show.

Your redzone comments are not to be ignored and Wentz with Gurley inside the 20 yard-line would've been fun to watch. I truly believe if they continue to tinker and build the offense more to fit JG when he's able to take the reins, he will make us forget all the negative drama written and said about him at this stage in his career. Like most of us, I'm not letting the success of Wentz or the Goff drama take front stage of the 2016 season to the best of my ability.

I just want this 2016 Rams team to get out of the gate 4-2, 5-3 and make this an enjoyable season. The problem is every bad game the Rams passing offense has or INT Keenum throws, or highlights of Wentz and Prescott TD passes, it will have its impact on us fans in one way or another as you already know @-X- :sick:

Rain-Sad.gif
That's a good post, but you might be a little dyslexic, m'man.
I said zone-read, not red zone. lol.

…..

Legend
yeah i try to stay away from the debate......but the valid part of said debate to me is the 1st overall selection not starting. I dont think Fish & Co ever had any intentions of giving him a fair shot to start.

If he was never going to be worthy of starting, or even given a fair shot, then trading the farm and drafting him 1st overall was a reach.

Taking it a step further.....if we cant let our shiny new QB be a baddass gun slinging QB then why draft him in the first overall in the 1st place? If you're going to hang your hat on Todd Gurley, then make your trade for Alex Smith. Thats who you really want.

So...I'd love for my Rams to come out of this squeaky clean but ya gotta know theres a distinct possibility this all becomes the final black eye for Fish. They'll package it in a nice little story that includes the trade up for the non fitting Tavon Austin.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's a good post, but you might be a little dyslexic, m'man.
I said zone-read, not red zone. lol.

LOL... my apologies and I did read that wrong. I've had so many discussions about Wentz/Goff redzone advantages for the Rams It must have crossed my eyes up...

OMwDn.gif

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Me.....

I dont think Fish & Co ever had any intentions of giving him a fair shot to start.
Seemed like it, huh? More reps in practice...Starter reps...with the ones....that's all I want....spoon feed this kid....instead, we got Weinke babying him on fucking camera....