Nick's Mailbag

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Nick's Mailbag

zn: (belated...it's a day or 2 behind)

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/1671?a_id=2

Tyler, STL
1:08 PM CT
Hey Nick how is it going? I was wondering what number will Brian Quick have. I want to buy a new Nike Rams Jersey, but I wanted to get a Brian Quick jersey. Do you know his jersey number. Thanks in advance!

WAGONER:
A little scoopage for you here: Brian Quick will wear No. 83. Here's the rest of the drafted rookies and their numbers: Watkins - 73 Brown – 50 Brockers - 96 Zuerlein – 4 Givens – 13 Jenkins – 21 Johnson – 22 Pead – 24 Richardson – 26

Josh, Iowa
1:09 PM CT
Watching the interview with Quick, Pead, and Johnson, they seemed to be very happy, excited and energetic people. Are there any unique personalities in this group, i.e. leaders, jokesters, etc?

WAGONER:
I didn't get to know them well enough in those short interviews we did with them but they ALL seemed to be very likable and enthusiastic. Johnson seems to have some mischieviousness to him and I really thought Pead was a charismatic kind of kid. Brockers has some definite leadership qualities. Quick was a really nice kid who seems to be humble yet confident. Met him on his pre-draft visit and he couldn't have been more polite. But I'll get to know them a bit better when they return for the rookie minicamp.

Ryan Williams, Youngstown
1:11 PM CT
The rams was given i believe 7 million to sign their draft class does that also come from the 120 million we got? when is rookie mini camp and how long?

WAGONER:
Yes, the rookie salary money goes into the salary cap. Rookie minicamp is set for May 11-12. I believe they arrive on the 10th..

Scott, Los Angeles
1:13 PM CT
Hi Nick, first off, outstanding job during the draft with our running blog and updates. you must have been exhausted when it was all done. I read your article about the Rams aggressive approach to the draft and thought you were spot on with what you wrote. My question to you, of all the players selected, is there one that stands out in your mind as a real sleeper that could really make an impact. Thanks for answering all of our questions Nick..

WAGONER:
I try not to get too high or low on any player because none of us know how they are going to turn out. But I will admit this: the one receiver I really liked as a potential speed burner/deep threat going into the draft was Chris Givens. Go back and read my Wide Receiver preview for the draft, I believe I had him as my fifth ranked wideout. A lot of people believe he had late first/early second round talent if not for some character concerns. I'm not going to tell you that Givens is going to come in and light it up in year one but I think he has a lot of big plays in him..

matt, MO
1:15 PM CT
hey nick, so what do you think about Mr. Brian Quick, i like the pick he is exactly what we need a big body, fast WR. give him time and coaching and he will develope into a solid option for Bradford.

WAGONER:
I like Quick and I can see why the Rams were so high on him. It's not revisionist history to say the Rams had him No. 2 on their board. For those paying attention, I dropped some MAJOR hints about the Rams' interest in Quick in the time leading up to the draft, including his selection with one of the Rams' second round picks in my mock draft. He might not light the world on fire right away but he has legitimate No. 1 WR potential and he'll contribute as a rookie..

Mark, Omaha
1:17 PM CT
Do you think there is any more cutts on the way? and how about going after gaffney he just got cut from the skins.

WAGONER:
Gaffney might be intriguing but I'm not sure of any Rams interest. There are some more cuts on the way. In fact, stay tuned later today. When the team releases the list of undrafted free agents they signed, the corresponding cuts will be listed as well. No huge surprises on the list but a few names you'll know..

DC, DC
1:18 PM CT
Nick, Do you think we won in this years draft? I can't decide if I like this class or not. I guess it depends on how they turn out. I'd really like to know how Sam feels about the players selected, not what he says. Thanks!.

WAGONER:
For anyone that has read this site for the past eight years, you know I am VERY anti-kneejerk reactions to the draft. It just doesn't make any sense to judge these things right after they happen. There are so many variables that determine whether a player will turn out to reach his potential or not. I will say this: The Rams did a terrific job of filling their needs and loading up at positions of great importance (WR). They also got bigger, faster and more athletic, all things that were desperately needed. If you take this year's class and add the two first rounders they got from Washington, I don't see how you could be disappointed as we sit here today at least with how the Rams manipulated the draft and took advantage of an opportunity..

Brian, Ithaca, NY
1:21 PM CT
Nick loved the kicker pick too, been down on Josh ever since he talked Spags into reviewing the onside kick that obvioiulsy was not touched by the other team, not even close and he missed a couple easy ones the last few years and saving alot of cap room at the same time. But don't know much about Zerlein, you guys out in missoura should what can you tell us about him?.

WAGONER:
I haven't seen him kick but apparently it's quite a spectacle. One scout told me that Zuerlein has the strongest leg he's ever seen on a prospect. The kid was 9 for 9 from 50-plus including multiple makes from 57 and 58 yards. I heard on his workout for coach John Fassel, he was making 50-yarders where the ball was still rising when it went through the uprights. I'm excited to see him kick at the minicamp in a couple weeks..

Mark, Omaha
1:22 PM CT
With those cuts and added draft picks how much corners you see making the 53 and i really like jenkins and finn as our starter corners. Any corner you see moving to safety?.

WAGONER:
I think the Rams will keep six corners. Clearly, Fisher values those guys. I've poked around to see if any corners will be on the move to safety but I'm told the answer is no. The CB position looks pretty good with Finnegan, Jenkins, Fletcher, Johnson, Murphy and Gordy..

Dave B, Chesterfield
1:23 PM CT
When is the next mini-camp?.

WAGONER:
Rookie minicamp May 11-12..

Mike, Iowa
1:23 PM CT
Hello Nick, I feel the draft went good, but my big concern is our first pick. We traded out of getting one of the elite six. I am not sure Brockers was the best guy for our pick. I am hoping that I am wrong. I know some people say he could be the best DT out of the draft, but we had a chance to get as you say an elite player and did not. How do you feel?.

WAGONER:
I feel fine about it because the "elite" guy that was there simply wasn't as good a fit as the others were. If you go back and read closely what I wrote about Claiborne leading up to the draft, I mentioned there were some toughness concerns and some concerns with his willingness to come up and tackle. Jeff Fisher made that point when talking about Jenkins and Johnson, how they aren't afraid to do that. In this scheme, you have to tackle as a corner, it's a key piece of run defense. Not that Claiborne is incapable but it just wasn't a strength of his. For Richardson or Blackmon, the Rams would have stayed put..

Andre, Chi Town
1:26 PM CT
I am so pumped about the Rams draft. I think that Les Snead, Jeff Fisher, and the scouting department did an excellent job of improving the overall depth on the team's roster. I have a three questions for you: 1. Which cornerbacks are the best fit for Fisher's defense? 2. Do you foresee any other veteran players being released as the team adds additional undrafted free agents? 3. Do you think that any of rookies will make big impact on the Rams? If so, which one(s)..

WAGONER:
See above response. If you meant specific players, I think the group in place are all good fits for Fisher's scheme. 2. Yes, we'll have those names soon. Probably in a couple hours. 3. I think they all will be able to help in some way right away, especially the first six. I look for Brockers, Jenkins, Quick, Zuerlein and possibly Givens to start from day one with Johnson and Pead contributing a lot. And don't count out Watkins..

Dave B, Chesterfield
1:29 PM CT
Hey Nick, Pretty good draft! Do you think the Rams will pusue any veteran FA OLB's, RB"s or G's.? If so any names for us to watch?.

WAGONER:
I don't have any names. I think the Rams will see what shakes loose at those spots but they feel pretty good with what they have. I'd venture a guess that OLB would be the most liklely to get an add out of that group..

fred, boise
1:30 PM CT
hey Nick! have you had a chance to talk with any of the veterans after the draft. and how did they respond, all sides of the team looks to be upgraded! another question, what area does Fisher see as our greatest need after this weekend? thanks Nick!.

WAGONER:
I know James Lauinaitis is pumped but haven't had a chance to chat with others, really. I think the greatest need now is to find some more depth at outside linebacker and, really, across the board..

fred , boise
1:31 PM CT
hey Nick! with the team building (on paper) what looks to be a very good defense, will Fisher stick to plans to not hire another defensive coordinator? especially with drafting a couple of potential problem chilren, in Jenkins and Brown (hope they knuckle down). things are looking up! thanks Nick!.

WAGONER:
There will not be a new defensive coordinator named for this year..

Steve, St.Peters, MO
1:31 PM CT
Nick, as a quick recap. Could you tell us how our draft picks from last year did, and if they are still around.

WAGONER: DE Robert Quinn - Flashed major potential, had five sacks in limited duty and was a difference maker on special teams. Projected starter this year. TE Lance Kendricks - Bounced back after a rough start and figures to expand his role this year. Projected starter. WR Austin Pettis - Stepped in late in the season and was trustworthy as a slot wideout. Suspended first two games of this year. Will compete for a spot. WR Greg Salas - Showed great promise as slot wideout before season ending knee injury. He's working his way back but should be a key contributor as a No. 3 or 4 WR this year. None of the others are with the team..

doug c, paducah,ky
1:35 PM CT
nick, at first i wasnt very positive about how the draft went.i felt the same way when we took donnie avery over desean jackson but like you said who knows how theyl turn out.i like the jenkins and pead picks best out of all of them.maybe we can get dorrell green beckham in a few years.anyway the question i have is do you think theres any chance the rams sign plaxico burress or has he signed some else?.

WAGONER:
He is still out there. I don't think the Rams would go that way but I'll never say never. Keep this in mind: these coaches havent seen most of these guys play aside from on film. THey have some minicamps and OTAs to get a handle on what they have here. If they are unhappy with what's in place, a move could be made..

Steve, Long Island NY
1:36 PM CT
Nick do you know how many FA college guys did the Rams pick up. Keep up the good work you are doing for us fans. k.

WAGONER:
I don't have the exact number right now but it will likely end up in the 25 range. I'll have the list later today, hopefully..

Walter, Newport Beach, CA
1:37 PM CT
Been a Ram fan since the Waterfield/Van Broklin days. What are the plans for a strong backup quarterback? Some teams are releasing their quarterbacks any chance we sign one? By the way like our draft, puts the team in a much stronger position to compete. The upside looks positive..

WAGONER:
I think the Rams are set right now with Clemens, Brandstater and Austin Davis, the rookie from Southern Miss who will compete for the 3rd QB job..

Pam, Boise
1:37 PM CT
Hello Nick! The turnaround is unbelieveable, building with a foundation, not drafting high priced players, taking some risks, balancing the books, making the players earn their money and preform. What is the spirit around the complex like these days from the front office to the players? Go Rams!.

WAGONER:
Everyone was VERY pleased with how the draft played out..

Don Riley , New Jersey
1:38 PM CT
It seemed like overall they drafted size ? Do you believe there was a conscious effort to do that ?Since the Rams have been a bit undersized (at least last year). They drafted large at D.Tackle, Wide Receiver, Offensive Tackle or Guard (he is a finisher, at least in the little bit I was able to watch, as Jeff Fisher stated and nasty) and Corner..

WAGONER:
Yes, great point Don. This is something I regret not writing as much about before the draft and free agency. But Jeff Fisher has always liked bigger, stronger types of players. And I do think there was an impetus to make this team more physically imposing. I think that mission was accomplished with guys like Brockers, Quick, Johnson and Watkins. Let me tell you this, also: I'm going on my ninth year here and in that time I've been here there's only been one guy who really looked physically intimidating and that was Orlando Pace. Well, Michael Brockers is No. 2. Just a huge, huge man..

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
1:40 PM CT
Hey Nick, whats up with the punter spot? The best punters weren't even drafted, yet we bring in some random guy instead of the talented punters. Why is that? Did they go to other teams? We got Hekker, I figured Stahovich or Butler would be a target. Thoughts.

WAGONER:
I'm told this is the guy Coach John Fassel scouted and the one he wanted the most..

fred, boise
1:41 PM CT
hey Nick! from the contact you've had with Jenkins what is your impression of him. is he ready to put his life in perspective, and not be another Pac-man Jones? hope he shows the faith the front office places on him and shuts down everyone he faces. thanks Nick!.

WAGONER:
I spoke with him a little while he was here and a little at the Senior Bowl. Let me be clear, I don't proclaim to know him very well but he certainly didn't strike me as a bad person. He seems very affable and a little vulnerable. I think he just has some maturing to do. I think he's entering a great situation to do that with Coach Fisher, Coach Cecil and guys like Cortland Finnegan leading the way..

Jack Fenton, Windsor, Canada
1:42 PM CT
Hey Nick, I was wondering why it is that everybody seems to believe that our top 3 corners now are Finnegan, Jenkins and Trumaine. That is all I'm hearing. But the fact is, if Fletcher is healthy he is easily a starting corner. He was easily our top CB before he got hurt. Any thoughts on how the position could play out? I'd be dissapointed if he lost his spot. Thanks.

WAGONER:
The thing with Fletcher is whether or not he'll be fully healthy and when he returns will his job already be full. I do think Fletcher will figure into the mix strongly but I expect that the top two corners on opening day will be Finnegan and Janoris Jenkins with Fletcher and Johnson battling for the third spot (though not necessarily the nickel)..

Pam, Boise
1:43 PM CT
Hello Nick! What a great draft, thought they were about to blow-up, but wow! If these players preform the team will compete against anything in the NFC West! Getting Jenkins might be a risk, but insurance is there in Johnson. Offense looks to be able to move with alot more speed. Even the special teams got better with the kicker and Jenkins returning kicks or punts. Great job Draft Team! Go Rams!.

WAGONER:
Glad you liked it, Pam..

Jim , Omaha
1:44 PM CT
Nick, I am very happy with oir draft. Some things you cant control as in Blackmon and Floyd being pick right in front of us. But Quick and Givens will both add a threat we did not have last few years. I feel we improved our "O" , "D" and adding a hot kicker and the undrafted free agent punter we boosted the special teams. The change of pace back adds a twist we need. May question is on the undrafted guys. S Matt Daniels from all I can find on him, sounds like we got a steel here. Your comments? Also the backup QB from Southern Miss sounds intreging..

WAGONER:
It's funny, Jim but you hit on the exact two players that went undrafted that I think are most likely to make the final roster. Daniels is a great fit in this scheme as an in the box safety. The Rams need a fourth safety, he's got a great shot. I was told the Rams had a fifth round or so grade on him..

ray, so.cal
1:45 PM CT
what are Rams doing about there LB's?? need help there.

WAGONER:
Jeff Fisher said he feels good about what is in place. The team drafted Aaron Brown and has at least a few more candidates on the way in terms of undrafted guys. Fisher emphasized that outside linebackers in this system aren't as important and simply just don't play as much as they used to. With Laurinaitis and Dunbar, the Rams feel good with what they have for the nickel package which is on the field the most. And Fisher had some good things to say about Josh Hull as a potential strongside backer. The Rams could still look to add a veteran outside but I think they'll take a look at what they have now first..

doug c, paducah,ky
1:47 PM CT
just read where you said austin pettis is goin to miss 2 games.did he win a appeal or something because i read that it was 4 games.

WAGONER:
Pettis was suspended right before Christmas. He missed two games at the end of last year. Two more to start this year..

fred , boise
1:48 PM CT
hey Nick! last week in your response you said "I needed to look at the big picture". one of a few clues I saw in your Friday chat responses, did you know some of what was going happen? well you were right the defense looks great. run stopper, three quality corners, addded to the talent already in place. two words; great foundation! thanks Nick!.

WAGONER:
I definitely dropped some clues about what could happen. I didn't know anything for sure but I tried to let you guys know some things to keep an eye on..

Steve, Sedona, AZ
1:49 PM CT
After all the hype and smoke, the gurus were 2/3 right as to the teams who got the top 6 players. Big disappointment for the Rams, not getting Justin Blackmon, but great job getting 5 picks in the top 65. Good draft class overall, now its a question of how well the players perform. Why did the Rams pass on Morris Clairborne?.

WAGONER:
See earlier response on Claiborne..

Vic, NY
1:49 PM CT
Now with Brockers in the mix now what are the chances of getting Albert Haynesworth back in the mix also still. I think he'd give us great depth I am loving how this defense is shaping up..

WAGONER:
I think there's probably less of a chance they get Haynesworth with Brockers on board despite what you might see or hear elsewhere. I wouldn't rule it out entirely but it doesn't seem so likely now..

Robert, Highlands Ranch, CO
1:50 PM CT
Hey Nick, Now that the draft is over was Blackmon the #1 guy on our board? Was there any inclination that Jacksonville was going to do what they did? Once they moved up who else besides Dallas was lighting up our phone?.

WAGONER:
He was the No. 1 receiver on the Rams board, yes. And as I wrote numerous times, he was behind Richardson overall in how the Rams viewed the non-QBs. I don't know who or even if there were other teams looking to move up to 6..

Vic, NYC
1:51 PM CT
With such a hole at Linebacker don't you think Vontaze Burfict would have been worth a 7th round shot for us.

WAGONER:
No..

1:51 PM CT
Hey Nick, Why do you think the QB from Boise State was not drafted? Is everyone that afraid of his height? I was hoping we might bring him in but looks like Detroit got their paws on him. What are the odds, do you think, that he makes the team? And how about the Skins grabbing Cousins? He has got to be bummed about that..

WAGONER:
I think it was a combination of height and lack of arm strength. I saw Moore at the Senior Bowl. He's just not an impressive thrower of the football. He has a lot of intangibles so sure, maybe he can make it work in the NFL. If the Lions keep three QB's, I think he makes the team. Interesting move by Washington, Cousins could maybe turn into a valuable trade chip, though, I suppose..

1:53 PM CT
Hey Nick, The one glaring need not addressed well in the draft is OLB. Where do you think we go from here? Of all the undrafted FA's brought in for this position, who do you think stands the best chance of landing a starting gig? Any OLB you envision being released in this next phase of the new season that could land here?.

WAGONER:
See earlier response on OLB situation..

Don Riley , New Jersey
1:54 PM CT
I watched as much of Quick as I could find. Fist of all is he related to Mike Quick who played for the Eagles ?? You notice right away, how large he is, how difficult he is to tackle. Also his balance. I've seen comparisons to T.0. but he doesn't have that explosive burst T.0 had when he first came up. He reminds me of guy who used to play for the Vikings back in the 70s Gene Washington (not the one who played for the 49ers). Probably not as good hands, but large and athletic (Quick is probably more athletic than Washington). Also I've seen several stories lately in the press lauding the Quick selection. Yet, I didn't see that much on him before the draft. There's no question the player has some Freakish abilities..........why was he so far below the radar. I remember he got some press during the Senior Bowl................but after that he disappeared from the mainstream. I can see now why everyone was so high on him. When did you first notice his abilities, Nick ??? Was it at the Senior Bowl ?.

WAGONER:
For me, it was the Senior Bowl. Honestly, I didn't know who he was until then. He was very clearly talented but needed some polish. He also took a couple practices to feel comfortable in that setting but he made some jaw dropping plays down there in that week of practice. Remember, he JUST started playing organized football as a senior in high school. He's only scratching the surface of his potential. As for the reason he was under the radar? It's pretty simple: he attended Appalachian State..

Slim, TX
1:57 PM CT
No one drafted had a stache! Brockers comes close with the beard but I was almost positive Fisher's draft board was going to score "Stachness Points!".

WAGONER:
Haha, that's a solid point..

Stephen Pennington, Encinitas, CA
1:57 PM CT
I felt we left better talent in the draft and picks Zuerlein, A. Brown, and D. Richardson would have ended up as FA's. We could have traded those picks and picked up: OLB: Upshaw, Lewis, David, J.M. Johnson, Kendricks, or Spence at #33, Quick or Randle at #39, and OL Massie or Sanders at #50 and RB Pead or James at #65, then we could have traded up for CB and another WR (Most likey the same players we drafted) and picked up the last three we drafted and more at those positions in FA. I felt we could have received better value and addressed the same positions of need with better talent. This has happened the last 3 years. I do believe we had a good draft. I'm just pointing out it could have been better talent-wise. What say you, Nick?.

WAGONER:
I say that the assumptions you make are a little over the top. I won't get into all of the specifics of why your point is incorrect but I'll just make a blanket statement here that needs to be remembered... The stuff you hear about players in terms of rankings from the media and the draft analysts means absolutely nothing. So if Mel Kiper tells you a guy is a third round player, it's being done in a vacuum because he's applying a player's skill set to the whole league and not to how it applies and transitions to teams in the NFL. NFL teams more closely value players to one another than anyone in the media does. Trust me, the Rams weren't the only team eyeing Brian Quick where they did. They weren't the only team looking to grab Pead in the range they did. All of the talk about how they could have waited for X player or so and so would have been a better value at a certain spot is nothing but idle speculation..

Nathan Dailey, Oshkosh. Wisconsin
2:01 PM CT
Nick was wondering what do you think Les Snead does better as gm then Devaney.

WAGONER:
Hard to make any comparisons since Snead has been on the job for only a couple months and I say this with no disrespect to Devaney who I won't say anything negative about but I think it's pretty evident that Snead is a lot more willing to take some chances. We'll see how that plays out..

Justin, Joplin, MO
2:03 PM CT
I tend to agree with you on Claiborne, I was not overly excited about the possibility of picking him up if the other 3 were gone. I thought the Rams did exactly the right thing in trading down and picking up DT and an extra 2nd round pick, I viewed Brockers as the 2nd best DT in the draft behind Cox but not by much. The secondary is stacked. If Jenkins and Johnson stay out of trouble, look out. How many WR's do you invision the Rams keeping for this year? And TE's is Mike and Kendricks all we have? And also does the drafting of the two WR's all but eliminate the resigning of Mark Clayton? GREAT JOB to the RAMS!!!.

WAGONER:
I think the Rams keep six wide receivers. At TE, right now it's Kendricks, Hoomanawanui and Mulligan. They could potentially keep another amongst the youngsters that will be here. I don't expect Clayton to return..

Randy Smith, Eugene, OR
2:04 PM CT
Hey Nick, Well it sure looks like that teams will have a harder time gutting us up the middle through the running game. And also might be difficult to throw on us too. I believe the Rams had a B+ draft with potential to be an A- or A, depending on Jenkins straightening out his life (which I hope he does). I know you're anti-kneejerking on draft but would you list the draft this way hypothetically? Thanks Nick..

WAGONER:
I won't do grades, even hypothetically though I appreciate your effort to get me to do it. But I'll go along with your theory that if certain players can overcome any off field concerns and reach their vast potential, this class could be a home run and a very strong foundation for the future..

Tim, So-Cal
2:05 PM CT
Nick: Man did this draft have a different feel for the NFL as a whole, but specifically for the Rams. I like the fact that we have 10 new players who will hopefully make an impact. My question for you is why did the team not chose an outside backer such as Lovente David from Nebraska when we had the opportunity?.

WAGONER:
As I wrote multiple times right near the draft, the Rams just weren't as high on David as others. They were interested and I believe there would have been strong consideration for him at the bottom of the third but he wasn't the top OLB on their list. David was great at Nebraska but he added weight to get bigger for the Senior Bowl and he wasn't the same player..

Steve, Long Island NY
2:08 PM CT
Nick have you talked to Sam and Steven about the draft,are they feeling good about it..

WAGONER:
Have not seen them this week, yet..

Steve L, Arl Hts, IL
2:09 PM CT
Nick, Need your honest response here, no towing the company line... why didn't the Rams select a much needed Offensive lineman with the 2nd second round pick instead of making such a risky pick on Jenkins ? Sam needs to be protected and Snead could have waited to select Jenkins with the 3rd,and last, second round pick. Wouldn't this have been the safer, wiser and less risky selection ? Thank..

WAGONER:
First of all, no chance that Jenkins falls to round three. Heck, he wouldn't have been there at 45. The Rams had teams looking to move up to get him where they took him at 39. And I suppose a safer selection could have been made but isn't it OK to take a risk once in a while? The Rams haven't done it in a while, how did that work out? Also, I wrote numerous times leading up to the draft about how Fisher is confident in Paul Boudreau's ability to coach up the O linemen already here as well as his penchant for not using high picks on offensive linemen..

Randy Smith, Eugene, OR
2:12 PM CT
Hey Nick, Any player/coach/GM chats coming anytime soon?.

WAGONER:
Working on it.

Steve L, Arl Hts, IL
2:13 PM CT
Nick, what are the Rams expectations of Pettis ? I've seen him play in college and he has great hands. Whay officially was the issue with him last year ? Finally, are there any plans on bringing Mark Clayton back... and is he fully healthy ? Thanks. Steve.

WAGONER:
Pettis will get a shot to compete for a roster spot, just like the other receivers..

Steve, Long Island NY
2:14 PM CT
Nick all and all who do you feel was the best pick in the draft. Thanks.

WAGONER:
Like I said earlier, I'm probably biased and my opinion means little in this case but considering the talent and where he went, I'll go with Givens..

Mike , Canada
2:15 PM CT
Lots of talk about Oline and lack of additions. I say we have a new center, new line coach, new sense of urgency from Smith and most importantly a new offensive scheme. That in of itself is a huge addition to the success of the line wouldn't you think? Plus a few solid guys always get cut close to reg season.

WAGONER:
You just hit on all the reasons the Rams didn't go with an offensive lineman early in the draft..

Mike, Fresno
2:16 PM CT
I know everyone is talking about the WR's we picked up.. but I'm really excited about Pead. We finally got the perfect complimentary back for Steven Jackson. Despite all our offensive line woes last year we still ran the battle pretty good. I'm expecting big things from the power and speed combination of Jackson and Pead..

WAGONER:
You're not the first to express this sentiment. Bonus with Pead: He'll get a shot to handle some return work too..

Mike , Canada
2:17 PM CT
Hey Nick, Which one of the new guys can return kicks? Lord knows we need a solid kick returner to change field position and maybe break a few. Hasn't happened very often in the last 5 years..

WAGONER:
Pead and Jenkins are both experienced and talented returners. I think Givens could get a look or two as well..

MoBob,
2:17 PM CT
We had ,what I thought was, agood prospective RB on our practise team last year. I believe his name was Reynolds. TRENT?). What happpens to the practise squad in the next year? Do they get another "look at"?.

WAGONER:
Chase Reynolds. He is still around. Guys that get future contracts are kept to compete. He's still here and will get another "look at" as you say..

Brett, Spokane, WA
2:18 PM CT
Hi Nick - Well it seams with cutting our kicker we have the cap room to go out and get an OLB, have any idea who that might be?.

WAGONER:
The Rams won't necessarily use that cap savings to sign someone. Remember, if they have injuries, they need money to sign free agents to fill holes as well. Always good to have a little wiggle room under the cap..

Steve, Long Island NY
2:19 PM CT
Nick you must be feeling a little tired, this has been a long week for you, and we fans thank you for all you do for us, It makes us feel like we are really apart of the Rams family. I have been a fan for 60 years. Thank You Nick.

WAGONER:
I am a little tired but we all are and really, I'm more excited about seeing what these guys can do on the field. And thank you for being a fan for so long and being a loyal reader. I greatly appreciate all of you that participate in this forum whether it's positive or negative..

Ryan Williams, Youngstown, Ohio
2:20 PM CT
I saw that on the list we have signed undrafted free agent Peterson the TE from LSU i really like him do you feel there is a sense that Micheal Ho spot is in trouble to make the team when he have to compete against the likes of the JETS TE, UCLA TE, and the LSU TE dont remember the names but im sure you do and how much Te you see making the 53man roster?.

WAGONER:
He needs to stay healthy, first and foremost. But I think there will be some interesting competition at tight end. Peterson is a guy to keep an eye on because he fits the bill as a move type of TE who can play some fullback as well. I'd say three or four TEs make the final roster..

Mike , Canada
2:21 PM CT
Best line of the week courtesy of Les Snead " Can't be scared" . That should be the team motto going into the new season. What do you think. I loved that !!.

WAGONER:
Great line and it gave me a nice capper for my draft wrap article yesterday. It's a much different approach here. No fear in the draft, no fear on the trade market, no fear in free agency..

Jason McCurdy, San Francisco, California
2:22 PM CT
What do you think was our best pick in this years draft and which one do you think has more potential than fans realize?.

WAGONER:
I answered the first part earlier. But a guy with more potential than fans realize? Hmm, I'm going to go with Brian Quick. I know he was a high second round pick and people have an idea of what he can do but I can't emphasize enough how he's really only scratching the surface. He's played organized football for only about five years. He has all the tools to be a legitimate No. 1 receiver in this league. I really mean that..

Randy Smith, Eugene, OR
2:24 PM CT
Hey Nick, Not to disrespect Pead any way, but why was he higher on our board than LaMichael James? I'm huge on LaMichael James (obviously since I'm a Ducks fan), but disappointed he wasn't drafted by us and ended up going to a team that I feel wont utilize properly..

WAGONER:
As I wrote in the running back preview for the draft, there are a few concerns with James, who the Rams did like but not as much as Pead. First, there are questions about his ability to run between the tackles and though he's fast, is he fast enough to be strictly the type of back who operates almost solely on the edge? It's not like the Rams disliked James at all but they really, really liked Pead. Pead is a little bigger, more suited to carry the load if something happens to Jackson in addition to a normal role as a change of pace..

Scott, Los Angeles
2:26 PM CT
Hi Nick, first off, kudos to Steve from Long Island. As a Ram fan for 50 years I thought I had longevity in this group. Nick, my question. will you be doing some indepth articles about the coaching staff we have. I know they have been mentioned from time to time in this chat,but it would be great to learn more about them. thanks for all you do to keep us informed..

WAGONER:
You know how we always get the dog days of summer where there isn't much to write or talk about in terms of the NFL? Well, I plan to use that time to do profiles on each and every member of the coaching staff. I'm not sure if it will be written articles or video interviews but that's the plan right now..

Ryan Williams, Youngstown, Ohio
2:27 PM CT
I saw we cut a few guys last night you did say there were cuts coming did that mean those were the guys you were gonna mention or there is more coming? And with the TE i just believe Fisher likes undrafted freeagents that works hard I heard good things from those two guys and bringing in your own guy could cause Micheal Ho a spot? your thoughts.

WAGONER:
More coming. Like I said on Illinois Mike, he has to prove he can stay healthy. If he does, his talent will speak for itself and he'll have a spot..

Don Riley , New Jersey
2:28 PM CT
My question is on the Wonderlic Test and its value. Morris Claiborne was listed as scoring a (4) on the test. Also Hill from Georgia Tech had some question marks on concentration. A (4) is about as low a grade as I've seen recorded. I'm not saying it was the lowest, ever (I believe the highest was (47).. But the lowest I've seen prior to Claiborne's was Akeli Smith's (9). The Jets drafted a player Vlad Ducasse who got a (13). He's been slow in production. I'm wondering if the Rams at this point respect such things. I noticed in the Pead interview how bright and alert a person he was. Really an impressive guy. I guess I'm a sticker for such things. When I saw the Brandon Weeden interview on NFL.net. I felt his dress (and hair style) wasn't suitable for a person who was going to lead his team at the Quarterback position (seemed too careless). Anyway how important is the wonderlic test to the current Ram coaching and scouting in your opinion ?.

WAGONER:
It's wildly overrated in the eyes of the public. Teams don't worry about it nearly as much as some people think. However, there are a couple of positions where it's more important and teams look at it closely. Namely, quarterback and middle linebacker. Look, the Wonderlic is a test of how quick you can process information. It's not really an I.Q. test. You have 12 minutes to answer 50 questions. The questions aren't difficult (I took it about five years ago) but they are the kinds that make you process info quickly and come up with an answer. Of course, none of those questions have a thing to do with football so in some sense it doesn't matter at all because while one guy might not be great at solving word problems, he might be great at solving football problems..

Mark, NY
2:31 PM CT
Fisher did say that he will have 2 LB about 60% of the time and going back to williams time in NO he loved to blitz and fish did say he had some concept in that so do you see us going with maybe 5 LB in the 53 roster and i believe that played a part in why we were higher on jenkins and johnson that claiborne I have a feeling we gonna be blitzing alot?.

WAGONER:
I think they'll keep six linebackers at least. But you're right, they might keep six instead of the customary seven, depending on special teams of course. And yes, this system doesn't hesitate to blitz..

Philip, Denmark
2:32 PM CT
Hi Nick. I just wanted to a applaud you on your work during the draft. I don't know if you're in charge of it but the youtube channel is awesome. As for my question: I heard Isiah Pead was still finishing school. How about the other rookies?.

WAGONER:
Thanks for the comments. I'm not working alone here. I'll take this cue from you to send plaudits to Keith Harris, the guy behind the scenes here who makes it all go and gets our content spread across all platforms. He's the best in the business. And our video department, guys like Chris Slepokura and Glenn Connolly along with Scott Brooks who make things happen in our studio and get our interviews turned into full on professionally produced packages. It's a team effort. To my knowledge, Pead is the only one who is on the quarter system among the drafted rookies. But I'll check on the others..

MoBob,
2:34 PM CT
Just read your comment to Scott, LA Please do the interviews written. I know it's harder but I'm Deaf..

WAGONER:
Tell you what, if we do video interviews, I'll record and transcribe them so people can make their pick..

Kerry Moore, St.Louis
2:35 PM CT
I was wondering if the Rams took some risk in this draft because Snead and Fisher knew that we were still a couple of years away and we also had extra draft picks? How does this draft compare to drafts of ours in years past?.

WAGONER:
I think there's truth in that, Kerry, certainly. Look, this is a rebuilding project, you can't fix every problem in one offseason when you've lost as much as this team has in five years. So sure, taking a few risks to get more talented players in here right away makes some sense..

john, albuquerque
2:37 PM CT
I need a little help filling in the blanks here but decades ago the Rams had what they called the "bull back field". It featured Deacon Dan Towler. In contrast was their pony backfield that starred two willigigs. One was Tommy "Cricket" Kalminer and the other was VT "Vitamin" Smith. One of these two (I don't remember which one) was from Abilene Christian..

WAGONER:
Towler played at Washington and Jefferson College, Kalmanir at Pittsburgh and Nevada and it was indeed Vitamin Smith who played at Abilene Christian. Good memory..

MoBob,
2:40 PM CT
Want to say Thank You. The NFL isn't Hearing Impaired Conscience. The NFL network Isn't Closed Caption. LOL.

WAGONER:
Thank you for the heads up. I'll try to be more conscious of that in the future not just for you but for others as well..

Steve, Long Island NY
2:40 PM CT
Nick the best line this week was when Jeff Fisher said the losing stops now..

WAGONER:
Maybe we should have a "Line of the Week" poll where you guys can vote? See what people like the best every week..

Lloyd, Louisiana
2:41 PM CT
Nick, do the Rams have any interest in a OLB like Rocky Mcintosh or are they waiting to the June-swoon of cuts???.

WAGONER:
I imagine they'll wait to see what happens in the minicamps and get a better feel of what they have in place now..

Randy Smith, Eugene, OR
2:47 PM CT
Hey Nick, Curiosity question here. If we are "done" drafting in the top 3-5 like Fisher promised, what if the Skins for some reason didn't do so well in either this coming year or next and we have their 1st rounders and the finished where we would be drafting in the top 3-5 picks either year or both who knows, would we trade down?.

WAGONER:
I think he just means the Rams are done drafting in the top 5 with their OWN pick. Trust me, the team would be more than happy to pick up an elite player or two on the Redskins' dime, so to speak..

Mike, Fresno
2:48 PM CT
I'm the first to admit that I was disappointed when we took Brockers with our first pick. My first thought, "Great. Another DT in the 1st round." Then I saw his press conference and I came away from that extremely impressed. He just has an air of confidence about him. And he said the best line ever... "I just like to hit people." It got me really excited for this defense. Please tell me that Brockers will be doing a mailbag in the future. This is someone I think all Rams fans want to talk to..

WAGONER:
I'm going to work on getting him to do something when they're in town for OTAs. THe rookie minicamp has those guys' heads spinning enough as it is. But soon..

Philip, Denmark
2:50 PM CT
Hi Nick. What a weekend. I loved hearing both Snead and Fishers enthusiasm about the draft and the players chosen. How do you feel about some calling Quick and Pead reaches? From what I've read other teams right behind the Rams were interested in both..

WAGONER:
Check out my earlier response on reaches. Just because it doesn't line up with something you read on the internet doesn't make it a reach. Trust me, if the Rams hadn't taken those guys where they did, somebody else probably would have within a few picks. Let me illustrate the point further here: It works the opposite way, also. For instance, let's use Ole Miss tackle Bobbie Massie as an example. People are calling him a great "value" because he was drafted in the fourth round or so when some so called experts had him going in late round one or round two. Well, why do you think he "fell" that far? The answer is he didn't. He was rated in that range by EVERY team or he would have been taken earlier. I wish there was a way to get everyone to see that after the first dozen or so players, teams view them much different than the so called expert boards you read online..

Nick, St. Louis
2:54 PM CT
Nick. Please help me out here. A lot of people are wanting to jettison Danario Alexander asap, and that Brandon Gibson leaving is a foregone conclusion. I won't make this long-winded, but the stats don't lie. Alexander was BY FAR the most productive receiver on the team last season outside of Lloyd. I acknowledge the health issues and only playing 10 games, but come on. Gibson as well..

WAGONER:
At some point, it's going to become a numbers game. As we sit here right now, there are probably one, maybe two openings at wideout. Guys like Alexander, Gibson, Pettis, etc are going to have to earn it..

Nathan, Albion, Il
2:54 PM CT
Nick, what would be a realistic record for us next year?.

WAGONER:
I don't do record predictions, sorry..

John Walker, Springfield
2:55 PM CT
While I think alot of the draft went well for us and I think we got a good start on our D (except linebacker), I was disappointed we didn't do more for the O line. Do you think we didn't address because we are looking at a 3 year plan? It just seemed as though the QB got killed last year and was a little disappointed with the little attention paid to it. Thanks..

WAGONER:
See earlier responses. The Rams are confident they can get the current line coached up and with some luck on the health front, they could have a good group..

Mike, Fresno
2:55 PM CT
Hey Nick, One thing I noticed about this year's draft is that the Rams definately added some athleticism with their picks. I'm glad to see that. I've got a question about Trumaine Johnson. I keep reading on other sites how he has red flags and a lot of baggage and that he is a risk. I can't find what this "baggage" is or what "red flags" he has aside from a couple of sites mentioning he is a bit raw and will need some coaching up. Are there some off the field incidents that I'm just not finding or are people just throwing the "red flag" word out there because he didn't go to one of the schools considered to be a "big-time" school?.

WAGONER:
It's funny how one incident can become indicative of character, isn't it? Johnson got in some trouble for throwing a big party at Montana. He says he learned from the mistake but it was hardly some sort of indictment of his character. Johnson has some big time skills and outstanding size for his position. He's a starting caliber CB..

Josh, Iowa
2:57 PM CT
Hey Nick, how's it going? 10 picks in the draft, 4 in the top 50 overall - that's how you rebuild a team. IMHO I thought we had a great draft. We got quantity and quality. We missed Blackmon, but there was little we could do there. Same with Floyd, but I hear Quick was higher on the Ram's board anyway. Chris givens is quick (lowercase q).We got 2 first-round talent CB's that combined with Finnegan will make for a strong secondary in a pass-happy league. Brockers is a big fella that will help stuff the run, something that the Rams were incompetent at in 2011, in a division featuring top RBs. Pead and Richardson are speedsters that will complement SJAX perfectly. We got the best kicker in the draft. The Rams filled a lot of holes and turned the #2 overall into a wealth of picks. They are well set for the future, not everything can be addressed in a single draft. All the haters need to calm down, the Rams have been named draft "winners" by many media outlets. Fisher is taking the right steps, IMO. There are still undrafted and veteran FAs out there too, and more may shake loose..

WAGONER:
You make plenty of good points here, Josh..

Luis , Orlando
2:58 PM CT
hey nick, do you see janoris jenkins starting in game one of the regular season and if so do the rams still keep fletcher..

WAGONER:
Fletcher will stick, I believe. But I also think Jenkins will start from day one, yes. At minimum, he's the nickel..

Keith, Dublin, Ca
2:58 PM CT
Outstanding draft! The only thing I would have changed is to not trade back in the 2nd round. It would have been nice to get one of the linebackers they were hoping for. But, we got Pead. No complaints. In retrospect, do you think the Rams should have traded back that spot?.

WAGONER:
Keith, I think you make a fair point. That was the one point you could maybe question in the draft. The Rams liked Bobby Wagner and Mychal Kendricks. Both were there at 45 but they were gone at 50 when they drafted again. The Rams still got the back they loved but then didn't have another 'backer they really liked until round 7. That said, I think the Rams were happy to take any of the three of Wagner, Kendricks and Pead there so they were ecstatic to get Pead..

Steve, NJ
3:00 PM CT
Overall, I think it was a good draft. But, only time will tell. I was surprised the rams didnt take Polk, especially when they took another RB with its last pick. What do you think? Still we should have 5-6 players to either start or make contributions to team..

WAGONER:
Polk obviously didn't get drafted for a reason. He has some serious injury red flags. I hope for the best for the kid but hard to use a pick on someone who has those types of injury issues at a position where he takes such a beating..

Matt Bailey, Carbondale, Il
3:01 PM CT
When would be the best time to get autographs from the new picks this summer? Any tips on times our locations?.

WAGONER:
Training camp. More information on that as we get closer..

stuart, scotland
3:01 PM CT
nick,its going to be similair to last year when we head into camp with alot of wideouts on the roster,would it be fair to say that smith,amendola,quick,givens,maybe salas are looking like the main men were going to roll with?.........can dx do enough to keep his spot?.

WAGONER:
I think those five are probably best positioned right now but who knows? Remember, this staff is just now getting to see these guys for the first time in person..

Steve, Long Island NY
3:04 PM CT
Nick I was wrong the first day of he draft. I jump ed the gun. I thought they made a mistake by moving down again, by missing out on getting a top 10 player. But they made up for that the next two days. They filled a lot of holes with very good players. I love what Jeff Fisher said at one of his news confence. He said this team has lost more games then any other team in the last 5 years, And it stops now. Go Rams..

WAGONER:
It's OK, Steve! You're allowed to jump the gun. You're a fan, it's part of your God given right as a fan. It happens all the time. Kudos to you for picking up a little perspective now that the draft is over and putting your faith in Coach Fisher and Les Snead..

stuart, scotland
3:05 PM CT
of all the picks nick,which pick made you give a fist pump and say yeeeesssss?.

WAGONER:
I said it earlier but I really liked the Givens pick..

Nathan, Gibson City, Illinois
3:05 PM CT
Thanks Nick for taking my question. I know there were several reasons why the past leadership just could not get this team going and gaining the trust of the fans, but Rams nation is starting to believe now. It is possible that we could gain four to five starters out of this draft, not to mention the picks over the next two years. My questions to you are, how impressed are you with our draft and how much confidence do you have in Snead and Fisher..

WAGONER:
Again, I don't know how the draft is going to play out, way too early to tell. But I do know this: the Rams played this thing with aggression and no fear. They were unafraid to make bold trades and stockpile picks. Then, they were unafraid to use those picks on players who might have a little bit of risk attached to them. I like that approach. As Snead said, you can't be scared. And it's a great testament to how much they believe in what they do and the system and people they have in place. If nothing else, that has to be extremely encouraging..

THOMAS W, NRW HAMPSHIRE
3:07 PM CT
Rams fan since the " fearsome foursome ".Nice job with the draft-- news flash-- New England made WES WELKER a franchise player at 9 million. Lets get some revenge for BRANDON LLOYD and make Welker an offer the Patriots can't beat !! Think about this Brandon Lloyd for WES WELKER I'll take that ! Would that help Sam some??.

WAGONER:
Not happening..

Mitchell Hillyard, Imperial MO
3:08 PM CT
How did Chris Polk get skiped.

WAGONER:
Hip and shoulder injuries..

Rodney Bird, Payneville,KY.
3:08 PM CT
Do You think the Rams acuireing a Kicker in the draft is to use money saved on Josh Brown to set for someone out of free agency?For maybe a WR or someone like an OLB?Or maybe a trade involving Josh Brown for a WR or Offensive Lineman?.

WAGONER:
I don't think there's a definitive idea of what the Rams will do with the cap savings. Might just be to put away for a rainy (see: injury plagued) day..

Pete, Centralia, IL
3:11 PM CT
A Kicker in the 6th? REALLY?????.

WAGONER:
Yes. A kicker the Rams believe can be very special and handle the job for the next decade. That's a heck of a weapon to have if he can do what they believe he can do..

Andy, Denmark
3:11 PM CT
Have the Team improved to protect Sam Bradford?.

WAGONER:
We'll find out but they certainly got him some weapons..

Mike, Fresno
3:12 PM CT
I have a non-draft related comment. I was watching NFL's top 100 players this weekend with my wife (who knows very little about football except that the Rams have been pretty bad) and the segment with Cortland Finnegan at 93 came on. Even my wife took notice and asked why we don't have any players like him on our team. When he I pointed out that he's now on our team even she got excited. I think Finnegan with our new cornerbacks and Brockers with Long and Quinn and Lauranitis roaming the middle is a really talented group. I don't remember the last time I've seen this much talent on our defense..

WAGONER:
I was thinking that myself, Mike. In terms of pure talent, especially at the most important positions (D line, MLB, Ccool smiley, this is as good as this defense has looked on paper in a very long time..

Joseph Devito, New York
3:13 PM CT
Nick, I thought if we drafted Blackmon or Floyd, it would have been a help but not enough. We didn't get either guy. Brockers and the CB's may be good players but we passed on Mike Adams 3 times ( despite the off-field issues will be a stud LT for years to come ) to get a backup RB and 2 more corners. We gave up the most sacks and didn't even draft a single lineman to protect a QB who ran for his life all year. Look for defenses to again load the box and put Bradford on the ground. So much for surrounding our QB with talent..

WAGONER:
I didn't know you could see the future, Joseph. Any hints on the PowerBall numbers?.

Joseph Devito, New York
3:14 PM CT
Nick, we have no passing game. Smashmouth pound it out football is a mantra we heard before. It is a thing of the past. Teams score with impact skill players. We did not get a WR who could stretch the field. We did not get a LT to protect our QB who was on the ground more times than any other QB. And even if we wanted to pound the ball, we do not have the OL to do that. This has been a puzzling offseason with an even more puzzling draft..

WAGONER:
Really? And you know this how? Chris Givens is the very definition of a receiver who can stretch the field. Brian Quick is an all around talent who can do a little of everything, including get deep. The Rams didn't need an LT, they have Rodger Saffold, whom they believe in. He was very good as a rookie, a coach like Boudreau should get the best out of him. Sorry, Joseph, I know this is your schtick but just because you don't know as much about a player who might come from smaller schools like Appalachian State or Wake Forest doesn't mean those guys can't play. Wait and see how it plays out before blindly determining they won't perform..

Zach, Iowa
3:16 PM CT
Was there any pick that surprised you for the rams? and is there any pick that us the fans might be sleeping on to be a immediate impact.

WAGONER:
I'm not sure if people realize the home run ability of someone like Givens. He could be getting slept on by fans. I wasn't honestly surprised by any of the picks, no..

Zach, Iowa
3:17 PM CT
how does Fisher handle rookies, is he like Spags and make them earn it, or does he throw them into the fire and let them learn on the run.

WAGONER:
It's going to be both. But believe that plenty of these rookies will play from day one.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

Hey.

No one calls ME a grazi and gets away with it.

And you better be careful cause sooner or later I will find out what "grazi" means...and then you're really in trouble.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Love these. Thanks for posting.... yuh grazi. :tooth:

steferfootball

Starter
"I heard on his workout for coach John Fassel, he was making 50-yarders where the ball was still rising when it went through the uprights. I'm excited to see him kick at the minicamp in a couple weeks.."

This kinda blows my mind.

Based on this, I think his kicks have a trajectory that dies at the end. Kinda like a soft slice in tennis....I mean still rising at 50 yards? That would kinda indicate that he will be good from like 70 with pretty good consistency.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This...
Josh, Iowa
2:57 PM CT

Hey Nick, how's it going? 10 picks in the draft, 4 in the top 50 overall - that's how you rebuild a team. IMHO I thought we had a great draft. We got quantity and quality. We missed Blackmon, but there was little we could do there. Same with Floyd, but I hear Quick was higher on the Ram's board anyway. Chris givens is quick (lowercase q).We got 2 first-round talent CB's that combined with Finnegan will make for a strong secondary in a pass-happy league. Brockers is a big fella that will help stuff the run, something that the Rams were incompetent at in 2011, in a division featuring top RBs. Pead and Richardson are speedsters that will complement SJAX perfectly. We got the best kicker in the draft. The Rams filled a lot of holes and turned the #2 overall into a wealth of picks. They are well set for the future, not everything can be addressed in a single draft. All the haters need to calm down, the Rams have been named draft "winners" by many media outlets. Fisher is taking the right steps, IMO. There are still undrafted and veteran FAs out there too, and more may shake loose..