Nickell Robey-Coleman wants to stay with Rams after 'great start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
By: Cameron DaSilva | January 16, 2018 9:00 am ET
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...kell-robey-coleman-free-agency-contract-news/

The Los Angeles Rams had a great deal of roster turnover this season, adding nine new starters to the team by way of free agency, trades and the draft. Those newcomers played a significant role in the Rams winning 11 games and making the playoffs.

The secondary, in particular, looked very different than it did in 2016. Kayvon Webster, John Johnson and Nickell Robey-Coleman all came in as new starters, while Lamarcus Joyner moved from cornerback to free safety.

Unfortunately for the Rams, they could see two of those players depart in free agency: Robey-Coleman and Joyner. Robey-Coleman indicated recently that he’d like to stay in L.A., but there’s no guarantee he will.

“We did something that hasn’t been done before, so it was a great start,” he said, via the team’s official site. “But as far as from a future standpoint, you can tell that it’s going to be a great team that you would want to be on in the future.”

Robey-Coleman had a great first season with the Rams. He played 15 games, picked off two passes, forced a fumble and made a career-high 49 tackles. He wasn’t an every-down player for Los Angeles given his role as a nickel corner, but he was great at what he did, which was locking down slot receivers and making plays against the run.

usatsi_10466009.jpg

He has the ability to play outside in a pinch, too, which he did for a little while with Webster sidelined due to injury. His position flexibility and willingness to play wherever the coaches ask is one of his best assets.

“I’m just coachable, a coachable guy. The things that [Wade Phillips] does, they are the things that fit with my strengths,” he said. “So, I just continued to take one day at a time and make plays when my number was called. That was my role on this team, to come in, do my thing, and be the best player I could be.”

Robey-Coleman isn’t a guy who will break the bank on the open market, which should make it easier for the Rams to retain him this offseason. Keeping Robey-Coleman, especially in the event that Trumaine Johnson leaves, would be a good move.

Psycho_X

Legend
I just like the way NRC plays, he's small but he's not afraid to tackle and can stick to anyone in coverage. It's kind of funny I feel like our two best tacklers on defense are two of the smallest players in the NFL with NRC and Joyner. Definitely want to see him stick around long term.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
NRC is smart and is a good tackler. Joyner staying is a no brainer.. While I really like both players, they are both on the small side and you can't have a god coverage D with at bunch of short guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Personally I just love corners who have natural ball skills and awareness. It just seems like some guys can never get that side of it, that they're either born with the ability or not. He's a really dangerous guy out there for QBs but he also is willing to do the dirty work with tackling and whatnot.

Such a nice fit for Wade's scheme, so really hope they get him locked down and soon.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NRC is smart and is a good tackler. Joyner staying is a no brainer.. While I really like both players, they are both on the small side and you can't have a god coverage D with at bunch of short guys.
The shortness of these two UFA's has not been discussed much bubbaramfan. If you are Wade & you stand a probable chance to loose both our tallest corner ( over 6-2 Trumaine Johnson) & your tallest safety (near 6-2 Cody Davis) in Free Agency .....you know there is going to be some serious concern here with these 2 under 5-8 Joyner & NR-C UFA's. :notsure:

Ram65

Legend
NRC was solid this year. The Rams should be able to offer a reasonable deal for both sides. IDK but can guess that he gets 3.5M to 4M for 4 years can be cut after 2 -3 years without much cap hit.. I don't think he gets much more than that.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
NRC is a great rotational Player, and if you look at Philly, they kept there "D" fresh by have a deep good rotation! I'd like to see NRC stay on, but who knows what ideas Wade Phillips has in mind for his 2nd Season as DC!

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I'd like to see him stay.
He played well and his mind's certainly in the right place with the team.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This secondary was pretty underrated. I would keep everyone and IMO with the emergence of Troy Hill, we have fantastic depth already - if we can re-sign TruJo, Joyner, NRC and Davis.

fearsomefour

Legend
This secondary was pretty underrated. I would keep everyone and IMO with the emergence of Troy Hill, we have fantastic depth already - if we can re-sign TruJo, Joyner, NRC and Davis.
NRC and Davis should not break the bank and Hill is a RFA. That part of the equation should be doable. Joyner will cost as will Johnson. I like Truba lot and think he is a key piece of the D. But the only realistic way to keep him is on a cheaper contract so that probably won't happen. Even if it did and all the other guys got resigned I would invest a pick this year into CB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NRC and Davis should not break the bank and Hill is a RFA. That part of the equation should be doable. Joyner will cost as will Johnson. I like Truba lot and think he is a key piece of the D. But the only realistic way to keep him is on a cheaper contract so that probably won't happen. Even if it did and all the other guys got resigned I would invest a pick this year into CB.
This is a very good point! (y)

The mentioning of Cody Davis is rare in most discussion of returning Rams in FA'cy but I was of the opinion that Wade's defense fit Cody very well. Much better than any of the previous Ram defense have. I would think that if Lamarcus Joyner departs/bolts for the bigger $$$ package (likely possibility due to the versatility that he offers & the big need for excellent Nickle corners in todays NFL).....Cody Davis just might be a higher priority than most of us think. Cody was the starting safety when he went down due to injury & went IR for the first time in his 5 yr Ram career. Cody would be the first choice to fill the Deep safety post. His length, size & speed is needed if they resign NR-C which I see as a high probability. But if Cody wants a starting opportunity he will get it here but he can not demand a big pay raise yet. He would still be a econo price contract compared to LJ's or Tru's. One less spot to worry about too.

As I have said over & over, where its appropriate to bring up as a positive Snead may be the best in the NFL @ finding & drafting starting DB's on the 2nd & 3rd days of the draft i.e. JJ, Tru, LJ, TJ Mac, Mo, EJ & JJ III to name a few. So if our starting safety LJ decides to make high $$$ demands you can say good bye & wait for the Ram draft for Snead to make his magic again. Snead has said & maintained a that he does not place a high priority on drafting safeties high or paying them large chunks of cap funds. LJ beware & keep in mind. Prefers to concentrate on priority of value on CB's.

If I were prognosticating which of the Ram DB FA's would stand to sign a 2018 contract .....NR-C, Cody & Troy would be the top 3. Going into the draft the Rams under contract secondary might then look like:

CB- Webster / Peterson/ Sayles/
CB- Troy Hill/ NR-C/ Hatfield/ Nixon
SS- JJJ III/ Marqui Christian
FS- Davis/ Countess/ I.Johnson

Reviewing that DB contention would mandate several DB's to be selected may be as high as first round selection. Going this route would permit future cap funds for the Rams best player to be signed long term & permit Goff's 2017 starting OL to be retained & secure into the future.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
No way there is money left for NRC if we want to keep Donald happy, Watkins, Quinn, and Tru...just can't do it all...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way there is money left for NRC if we want to keep Donald happy, Watkins, Quinn, and Tru...just can't do it all...
There absolutely is money for all that. I’ve broken it down multiple times in the last month.

nighttrain

Legend
Quinn restructures or is gone, same with Barron, Tru signs for a contract that is doable from Rams perspective, this is a hope. Watkins can get a deal for 4-5 years and when it's over still be young for another high dollar contract.
train