Nick Wagoner Previews the KC Game & Discusses the O-Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams-Chiefs: Five Things to Watch

BY NORM SANDERS
News-Democrat

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article33534699.html

Here are five key things to watch as the St. Louis Rams play host to the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday in their final preseason game (7 p.m.; TV: Fox Channel 2; Radio: WXOS-FM 101.1).

1. When the shuffling stops on the offensive line, and presuming veteran Rodger Saffold is healthy, who will be lining up where when the regular season begins Sept. 13 against Seattle?

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has tried numerous variations and the shoulder injury to Saffold early in camp allowed the team to take a look at more possibilities. Second-year left tackle Greg Robinson is set, as is rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein. Saffold will most likely fill the right guard spot, with rookie Jamon Brown at left guard if he’s good to go from an ankle strain. Still to be answered is the center question, where Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes are the front-runners. The Rams also seem intrigued by the athleticism of former center candidate Demetrius Rhaney, who has played right and left guard recently. Stay tuned. There are far too many questions for an offensive line being counted on to pound things out on the ground and keep quarterback Nick Foles upright and healthy for 16 games. May have to bring in another veteran.

2. Are there any real camp battles still going on?

Sure there are with 22 players still needing to be cut (or put on the practice squad) to reach the final 53-man roster. Among the hopefuls are Louis Trinca-Pasat, the former Iowa standout who has made some noise along the defensive line with 15 tackles. Fisher pronounced Case Keenum as his backup quarterback behind Foles on Tuesday, leaving veteran Austin Davis battling rookie third-round pick Sean Mannion for the third QB spot. Mannion has that basically in the bag, but the Rams could hope to snag a draft pick from some team interested in Davis. In fairness, Davis has gotten little chance to show what he could do in the first three preseason games so maybe he gets a longer look against the Chiefs. Linebacker Bryce Hager, who leads the team in tackles, has made an impression on defense and special teams.

3. With Todd Gurley still limited, Tre Mason injured and Trey Watts sitting out the first four games with a suspension, what happens at running back?

The best-case scenario would be to get Mason back from his hamstring injury in time for the season opener. There’s always Benny Cunningham, a workman-like ballcarrier who also excels as a receiver, but the Rams seem interested in taking a long look at Isaiah Pead. Rookie Malcolm Brown has also made some plays during camp, but would seem a longshot at best given the Rams’ ability to pick up a veteran off the waiver wire if needed.

4. Can wide receiver Chris Givens keep providing the Rams and Foles a consistent deep threat?

Givens has shown that ability throughout the preseason with seven catches for 179 yards, an average of 25.6 yards per catch. Whether he recaptures his form of his rookie year in 2012, when he had 42 catches for 698 yards and four TDs, is anyone’s guess. But he seems to have made positive strides in that direction.

5. Will the Rams ever find a way to actually limit the amount of penalties they receive?

It’s doubtful. It’s been a consistent companion of Fisher’s teams since he came here and shows no signs of slowing down with 29 already in three preseason games for a whopping 229 yards. A team that will rely heavily on its defense to keep things close cannot afford to continue hurting itself with penalties game after game after game.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article33534699.html#storylink=cpy

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
St. Louis hosts Kansas City for the Governor’s Cup on Thursday at 7 p.m. CT. Get pumped for the final preseason game!

Watch Rams-KC Game Trailer
I hope we come out Like this ....
d0cbDgo.jpg

I have a Friend working his Magic behind the screens!! ...
Witch doctor.gif

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Chiefs are the best team and highest scoring O we will have seen this pre-season... BUT as we all know most teams will be sitting so many players to have them ready and not injured for game one, we probably won't see their most dynamic scorers but for a series IF that. We on the other hand will be watching many players that are just now getting their shot in Cody Wichmann who I love and see as a future starter for us and Battle needs so much more time and reps on field and weightroom and playbook time to catch up. He was gonna be a redshirt anyway from the day we picked him up in Coach Fishers words , but we may need him down the road THIS season so tonight is just gravy to get him time under the lights reps.

Finally hope to see Mannion with someone who won't drop his passes and Bryce Hager against a higher level of competition would be nice. Hager still needs a full offseason weight training and learning of course. All centers need as many reps as possible. It may be down to Barnes and Jones now as we have seen what Rhaney brings there and he may (with luck) squeeze by as a backup guard and 3rd center. Personally I say he goes on waivers and clears and is a PS guy with Donnal. Wichmann and Battle are comers to watch tonight and I hope Brockers,Long, Saffold, Jenkins, Donald, Foles , Quick, Britt, Cook , Mason and even Cunningham as he will be our bread and butter next week SIT EM ALL !!!

Lets see Pasat , Longacre , Westbrooks and see if anyone can find a guy with the name Fairley on it anywhere. I know we paid him to be a RAM (I thot anyway):censored::( maybe that is too sensitive to talk about. I like to drive my cars before I buy them. I know our coaches know what they are doing right? Just not happy with the way its turned out SO FAR. Maybe it'll be our secret weapon:cool: Looking foreward to tons of Wichmann, Battle and all that anyone that wants to be center can give. Run Watts all night long with Brown and see what shakes out and lets see if Pead can find some daylight and OVERALL NO INJURIES!!!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams get one more chance to evaluate final roster spots
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ne-more-chance-to-evaluate-final-roster-spots

The St. Louis Rams host the Kansas City Chiefs in the fourth and final preseason game Thursday at 8 p.m. ET at the Edward Jones Dome. Here's a couple of things to watch for during the game:

Why watch: Rams coach Jeff Fisher indicated last week that he could get the roster to about 49 players, which means there are about four spots that were then up for grabs and still could be. The final preseason game presents an opportunity for those jobs to be won or lost. Pinpointing specific players is a difficult task that far down the roster but among the players to keep an eye on are defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat, tight ends Alex Bayer and Justice Cunningham, running back Malcolm Brown and cornerbacks Trovon Reed and Montell Garner.

Did you know? The Rams and Chiefs actually have a trophy for the winner of the game. It's called the Governor's Cup and it currently belongs to the Chiefs after their 34-7 win in Kansas City last season. The Rams are 9-5 against the Chiefs in preseason meetings since the team moved to St. Louis but 0-6 in the regular season. After leading the Rams to one of their victories in Kansas City as coach of the Rams, Dick Vermeil once famously blurted out "Where's the other governor?" during the trophy presentation. He was quickly informed that the Chiefs do, in fact, reside in Kansas City, Missouri.

manmaderam

The one and only
Dick Vermeil once famously blurted out "Where's the other governor?" during the trophy presentation. He was quickly informed that the Chiefs do, in fact, reside in Kansas City, Missouri.

This is just awesome!

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Chiefs are the best team and highest scoring O we will have seen this pre-season... BUT as we all know most teams will be sitting so many players to have them ready and not injured for game one, we probably won't see their most dynamic scorers but for a series IF that. We on the other hand will be watching many players that are just now getting their shot in Cody Wichmann who I love and see as a future starter for us and Battle needs so much more time and reps on field and weightroom and playbook time to catch up. He was gonna be a redshirt anyway from the day we picked him up in Coach Fishers words , but we may need him down the road THIS season so tonight is just gravy to get him time under the lights reps.

Finally hope to see Mannion with someone who won't drop his passes and Bryce Hager against a higher level of competition would be nice. Hager still needs a full offseason weight training and learning of course. All centers need as many reps as possible. It may be down to Barnes and Jones now as we have seen what Rhaney brings there and he may (with luck) squeeze by as a backup guard and 3rd center. Personally I say he goes on waivers and clears and is a PS guy with Donnal. Wichmann and Battle are comers to watch tonight and I hope Brockers,Long, Saffold, Jenkins, Donald, Foles , Quick, Britt, Cook , Mason and even Cunningham as he will be our bread and butter next week SIT EM ALL !!!

Lets see Pasat , Longacre , Westbrooks and see if anyone can find a guy with the name Fairley on it anywhere. I know we paid him to be a RAM (I thot anyway):censored::( maybe that is too sensitive to talk about. I like to drive my cars before I buy them. I know our coaches know what they are doing right? Just not happy with the way its turned out SO FAR. Maybe it'll be our secret weapon:cool: Looking foreward to tons of Wichmann, Battle and all that anyone that wants to be center can give. Run Watts all night long with Brown and see what shakes out and lets see if Pead can find some daylight and OVERALL NO INJURIES!!!

I don't think there is any way Rhaney doesn't make this roster. But I agree with mostly everything else you said. As much as I want to see all the starters play and get more reps I would really hate to lose a key player when we play the seachickens in just 10 days. I would rest all our starters on defense for sure. The only starters I might throw in there for maybe 2 series is the oline minus saffold they need all the reps they can get.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It may be down to Barnes and Jones now as we have seen what Rhaney brings there and he may (with luck) squeeze by as a backup guard and 3rd center. Personally I say he goes on waivers and clears and is a PS guy with Donnal.

What? You think that Donnal and Wichman have shown more than Rhaney has? I don't see how.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I'm a newbie this season. So where do I go to sign up for this years Pickem contest? This place is too loaded not to have one. Matter a fact Alan is last years winner and I wanna try to take his crown. Directions please...anyone?:)

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
What? You think that Donnal and Wichman have shown more than Rhaney has? I don't see how.

I think Wichmann will impress you tonight as he was impressive last week. I think even though very quick IMPO Rhaney is a better guard than C for us with Barnes and Jones ahead of Him. They may get rid of Barnes due to lack of versatility. That is so key to Fisher and Coach Paul it seems. Rhaney is a little light in the pants compared to the others and at 6'2" also. I think with us trying to run the ball we need the bigger space eaters and Wichmann was awesome at pulling at Fresno State. We have tons of film on him. He is JUST NOW able to play and I think our guys knew he would be worth the wait till he was totally healthy. I think Battle is a lock and when I do my 53 man roster I don't know which area will get the bonus man. We don't have but one real run stuffer in Brockers and that concerns me a lil' especially with his shoulder problems like Saffolds.

Do your 53 and see if you give the extra man to DL ,OL or I'm thinking CB as we may need help there this year. Is fairley gonna finally show up and play? I have'nt seen enough of Donnal to have an opinion. I think we could stash him on PS with as little film and playing time he's had plus he's had an ACL his JR year. So he may be a risk for someone to add him to their 53. I think we have Saffold, J. Brown , Wichmann , Reynolds for OG and G. Rob. , Havenstein , Battle , (Reynolds) OT. Center Barrett Jones and Barnes are our only two that make since to me and my OL eye. I was one every year I played. That is (9) players for the OL. I wonder if we have room to carry (10). I think DL and CB/S need that extra guy and also we start the season short at RB due to 4 game suspension of Watts who I hope we keep. Once you see your 53 you will see we do cut someone you did'nt think we would.

Wichmann does'nt have the backup gear that Rhaney and Jones have shown and yes even Barnes a couple times but barnes is our best Center especially when we play zone (bar none) Jones may be smarter. I'm not privy to that inside information. I posted about Coach Paul mad about bad line calls and even C. Long called out the OL in the last pre-season game but thats been covered up and hushed and I'll be shot for bringing it up. I will direct you to the sideline experience post that will fill you in. We have a 53 man roster that will finally have us cut someone I assure you another team will pick up that guy. We better not cut Pasat. Its gonna get very interesting.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

I think Wichmann will impress you tonight as he was impressive last week. I think even though very quick IMPO Rhaney is a better guard than C for us with Barnes and Jones ahead of Him. They may get rid of Barnes due to lack of versatility. That is so key to Fisher and Coach Paul it seems. Rhaney is a little light in the pants compared to the others and at 6'2" also. I think with us trying to run the ball we need the bigger space eaters and Wichmann was awesome at pulling at Fresno State. We have tons of film on him. He is JUST NOW able to play and I think our guys knew he would be worth the wait till he was totally healthy. I think Battle is a lock and when I do my 53 man roster I don't know which area will get the bonus man. We don't have but one real run stuffer in Brockers and that concerns me a lil' especially with his shoulder problems like Saffolds.

Do your 53 and see if you give the extra man to DL ,OL or I'm thinking CB as we may need help there this year. Is fairley gonna finally show up and play? I have'nt seen enough of Donnal to have an opinion. I think we could stash him on PS with as little film and playing time he's had plus he's had an ACL his JR year. So he may be a risk for someone to add him to their 53. I think we have Saffold, J. Brown , Wichmann , Reynolds for OG and G. Rob. , Havenstein , Battle , (Reynolds) OT. Center Barrett Jones and Barnes are our only two that make since to me and my OL eye. I was one every year I played. That is (9) players for the OL. I wonder if we have room to carry (10). I think DL and CB/S need that extra guy and also we start the season short at RB due to 4 game suspension of Watts who I hope we keep. Once you see your 53 you will see we do cut someone you did'nt think we would.

Wichmann does'nt have the backup gear that Rhaney and Jones have shown and yes even Barnes a couple times but barnes is our best Center especially when we play zone (bar none) Jones may be smarter. I'm not privy to that inside information. I posted about Coach Paul mad about bad line calls and even C. Long called out the OL in the last pre-season game but thats been covered up and hushed and I'll be shot for bringing it up. I will direct you to the sideline experience post that will fill you in. We have a 53 man roster that will finally have us cut someone I assure you another team will pick up that guy. We better not cut Pasat. Its gonna get very interesting.

Alan

Legend
GabesHorn itching to get badly beaten by the champ:
I'm a newbie this season. So where do I go to sign up for this years Pickem contest? This place is too loaded not to have one. Matter a fact Alan is last years winner and I wanna try to take his crown. Directions please...anyone?:)
I think you juct click on Pickem at the top of the page and then click on manage your picks. I'm not sure they have the games up yet. The crew we having working here on that are usually too stoned to get it together until about 12 hours before you need to make the picks. Doesn't do any good to bitch at them either. They look at criticism as a personal challenge. I often get them and my ex-wives confused. :LOL: