Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah sure, lets just throw out that 2013 season....

That would be the point of the question. Past statistics won't mean anything for the 2015 season. We've gotta determine who he can be for this team to determine the value we're willing to give up. Which player is he...?

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Yeah sure, lets just throw out that 2013 season....
And let's throw out All-Pro RB, WR, C, G, T and solid RT and RG and TE and other WRs

Let's just say Foles would have done the same with no All-Pros or Pro Bowls on offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I should have been clearer, the Eagles would be stupid yo get rid of him now, even if they get Mariotta. Most don't think Mariotta is a day 1 or even year 1 starter (of course "they" could be wrong). All I meant was you need a starter for 2015 and if it were me it would be Foles over Sanchez for 2015 then open competition between Foles and Mariota in 2016.

That's really what I was saying.

In that system, he's a day 1 starter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess that's possible . . .but if that is case, who backs him up? Keep Foles until he's a FA no need to weaken your team by trading a solid player.

Barkley? No idea.

I'd trade Foles if I'm getting 2nd round value for him and I'm planning to replace him. Might as well make something on an asset while you can.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Barkley? No idea.

I'd trade Foles if I'm getting 2nd round value for him and I'm planning to replace him. Might as well make something on an asset while you can.
Too risky, IMO, if they want to win in 2015 . .. but if they think Barkley can be as good as Foles, then they may do it, but Mariota is no guarantee of playoffs in 2015. . . maybe the year after but even if he knows system, it's still a jump to the NFL

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Too risky, IMO, if they want to win in 2015 . .. but if they think Barkley can be as good as Foles, then they may do it, but Mariota is no guarantee of playoffs in 2015. . . maybe the year after but even if he knows system, it's still a jump to the NFL

Mariota ran the system in college. It's been adapted some in the NFL but he's still well ahead of the curve. He'll be ready to start for them. And they almost made the playoffs with Sanchez.

They'll be fine to trade Foles if they take Mariota.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be the point of the question. Past statistics won't mean anything for the 2015 season. We've gotta determine who he can be for this team to determine the value we're willing to give up. Which player is he...?
I dont think he was as good as 2013 nor as bad as 2014. Merging the two and you've got 62% comp, 5054 yards, 40td, 12 Int, 8 Ypa and 100.5 Rating
He's a great alternative IMO, I dont see the point of having him and Sam.
If Sam is coming back, I'd rather have Glennon as a backup

They probably need the picks they could get for trading Foles in order to obtain Mariota

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think he was as good as 2013 nor as bad as 2014. Merging the two and you've got 62% comp, 5054 yards, 40td, 12 Int, 8 Ypa and 100.5 Rating
He's a great alternative IMO, I dont see the point of having him and Sam.
If Sam is coming back, I'd rather have Glennon as a backup

Okay. If that's what you think Foles can be moving forward then I'm sure you're for a trade.

Me? I don't think he's that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay. If that's what you think Foles can be moving forward then I'm sure you're for a trade.

Me? I don't think he's that.
Hard to believe we dont see eye to eye on this. Lol
I know its early but next year's crop of QB's looks to be pretty darned good. I'm starting to wonder if the Rams can make due with what's out there for 2015 and then get their QB next year

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know its early but next year's crop of QB's looks to be pretty darned good. I'm starting to wonder if the Rams can make due with what's out there for 2015 and then get their QB next year

If that's the strategy, I guess I don't understand why we'd make a move for Foles then. I actually agree with that strategy if the top two guys are gone. Which is why I like Glennon as an option. Should be reasonably priced and helps buy us time along with Bradford to find a QB of the future.

But I don't see Philly selling low on Foles. So if we're going to pay the sort of value it would take, I would have to think you believe he can be more than a temporary starter.

That's my stance on this.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I haven't read much on this, but doesn't this appear to be a rumor started by an Eagles media source looking for a way for their team to move up for Mariota?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't read much on this, but doesn't this appear to be a rumor started by an Eagles media source looking for a way for their team to move up for Mariota?
The funny thing is that despite numerous articles, they all reference the same "lead".

They all refer to: Some anonymous "source" told NJ.com...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure why it's hard to believe someone isn't buying into a made-up stat (merging two years).

Especially when those two years are so dissimilar.

To me, that gap between the years is cause for concern as is - as some have pointed out - how much the talent and system have contributed to his 2013 success.

Jackson leaves, injuries occur and he goes downhill?

Seems to me that's what the Rams were last year.

Can they plug those problems? Well, if they cannot, I see Foles (or Glennon) struggling just like every QB the Rams have put under center lately.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure why it's hard to believe someone isn't buying into a made-up stat (merging two years).

Especially when those two years are so dissimilar.

To me, that gap between the years is cause for concern as is - as some have pointed out - how much the talent and system have contributed to his 2013 success.

Jackson leaves, injuries occur and he goes downhill?

Seems to me that's what the Rams were last year.

Can they plug those problems? Well, if they cannot, I see Foles (or Glennon) struggling just like every QB the Rams have put under center lately.
Is using a player's 1st year combined with his 3rd year more realistic? (Jrry's concept, not mine)
And please explain how adding up Foles career numbers with Chip Kelly as his coach is "made up"? Are those numbers not true?
Please elaborate

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
They all refer to: Some anonymous "source" told NJ.com...

Exactly, this line, "According to a person familiar with the situation, but who requested anonymity, the St. Louis Rams have interest in Foles should the Eagles decide to trade him this offseason."
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/eagles_nick_foles_draws_mixed_reviews_from_nfl_coa.html

became this line"Eagles quarterback Nick Foles is coveted by head coach Jeff Fisher and the St. Louis Rams — and front offices around the league are buzzing over the possible deal."
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/01/what_could_eagles_get_from_st_louis_rams_for_nick.html

Maybe I was too hard on PFT. I have no idea if Fisher "covets" Foles. But neither does the writer. All that was said at the Senior Bowl was somone saud the "Rams have interests IF the Eagles want to trade him"

But using that line to make the editorial comment of "Foles is coveted" by Fisher isbad journalism.

Just like PFT debacling the "Ram want Sam back AT THE RIGHT PRICE".

Of course, maybe the Rams only want Sam back at the right price and maybe Fisher does covet Foles. But there is no off-the-record or on-the-record source for either satement.

This is mind-reading journalism.[/QUOTE]

RamBill

Legend
Examining Nick Foles as a fit for the Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15834/examining-nick-foles-as-a-fit-for-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- NFL teams can't trade players or sign free agents or do business aside from dealing with the guys on their own roster or not in the league until the new league year starts March 10.

But that doesn't mean the time between now and then won't be filled with plenty of rumors and speculation. In St. Louis, it's no secret that the Rams are going to explore all avenues to bolster the depth chart at quarterback. Even though they plan to bring Sam Bradford back, the Rams' search will include an extensive look at all outside options including the draft, free agency and, yes, the trade market.

"There's going to be competition at the quarterback position, there's no doubt," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said at his end of season news conference. "With somebody that is not in the building right now. We're hopeful for that."

Which makes 'Who will be the quarterback(s) brought in to compete with Bradford?' one of the most pressing questions of this offseason. Earlier this week, Philadelphia quarterback Nick Foles had the honor of being one of the first names to be rumored as a possibility. According to a report at NJ.com, the Rams are one of a handful of teams showing early interest in making a deal for Foles.

Foles was viewed as one of the league's emerging young quarterbacks after a breakthrough 2013 season in which he threw 27 touchdown passes with just two interceptions in leading the Eagles to an NFC East Division title. Some of the shine came off Foles' star this season though, as he threw 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while playing eight games before a fractured collarbone ended his season.

Nick Foles
Will Nick Foles be throwing passes for the Rams instead of against them next season?
Apparently, that drop off in performance was enough to leave Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly pondering whether Foles is the team's long-term answer at the position. In his season-ending news conference, Kelly was asked whether Foles was still his guy but offered no commitment.

"I don't know, we'll sit down and thoroughly evaluate everything in the offseason," Kelly told reporters. "It's no different than any other position. We'll look at it. Let's look at the film again. Let's get all the opinions on it and make valid decisions on it."

It's no secret that Kelly has an affinity for Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, the Heisman Trophy winner who Kelly coached before taking the Eagles job. But Kelly and the Eagles are almost certainly well out of range to select Mariota, as they hold the No. 20 overall pick in the draft.

Which might lead us to the crux of the situation. The Rams hold the No. 10 pick in the draft, which is also probably out of reach of Mariota but certainly a lot closer to Mariota's range than the 20th spot. Should Kelly and the Eagles decide to move up to try to get Mariota, they might have to make multiple trades and could dangle Foles as bait in one of those moves.

The question then becomes whether the Rams would be willing to make the move. There's no chance the Rams would simply trade the 10th pick for Foles straight up. If Philadelphia offered the 20th pick, Foles and a mid-round pick for the 10th pick, that would be something the Rams would have to take a closer look at.

As it stands, the Rams have no obvious in-house solution at quarterback, and there's no doubt that they'll explore any option out there. It remains to be seen how Foles would function outside of Kelly's offense, but at least he has more of a resume than any other free-agent quarterback or draft prospect the Rams could land.

Considering that the current Rams regime is entering its fourth year without a winning season to its name, adding a quarterback who could legitimately push to be the starter right away (while still drafting a young quarterback to groom) would make plenty of sense.

Over the next couple of months, plenty of other rumors will pop up, but Foles is one name that would be intriguing if he does become available and the price is reasonable.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Example of "Journalism"

Report: Rams interested in trading for Nick Foles
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 27, 2015, 6:39 AM EST
nick-foles.jpg
Getty Images
Last year, the Eagles made one of the most surprising moves of the offseason when they released receiver DeSean Jackson. This year, the Eagles may again make a surprising move by getting rid of starting quarterbackNick Foles.

Multiple stories have surfaced this month indicating that Eagles coach Chip Kelly is interested in moving on from Foles, especially if Kelly could replace Foles with his old Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota. The latest report comes from NJ.com, which says that possible suitors are beginning to emerge, and the Rams have interest in Foles.

The Rams have indicated that they would like quarterback Sam Bradford to return this year, but only at the right price. If the Rams can’t convince Bradford to take a significant pay cut from the $13 million he’s scheduled to make this year, they’ll surely release him, and then trading for Foles could make sense.

The question, however, is whether it would make sense for the Eagles. If Kelly is going to get rid of Foles, he has to be confident he can acquire someone better. Unless the Eagles are able to move up in the draft and get Mariota in three months, trading Foles feels like an odd move.

okay, Smith linked to a story that said this:

Jeff Fisher wants Sam Bradford back, at the right price
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 11, 2014, 12:20 PM EST
x610-25-e1344369928966.jpg
AP
The Rams have been playing good football lately, especially for a team that lost its franchise quarterback to a knee injury right before the season. Rams coach Jeff Fisher thinks the Rams can play even better football next year, if they have that franchise quarterback on the field.

Fisher told Albert Breer of NFL Network that he wants Bradford back next year.

There is, of course, one enormous caveat: Bradford has a year left on the enormous contract he signed as the first overall pick in the draft in 2010, before the new Collective Bargaining Agreement significantly reduced the value of rookie contracts. Bradford is scheduled to get paid $13 million in 2015, and to count a whopping $16.6 million against the Rams’ salary cap. So the Rams would like to re-do Bradford’s deal.

The question, then, becomes how much of a haircut the Rams want Bradford to take, and whether Bradford thinks he has enough leverage that he could balk at a significant reduction in his pay. If Bradford thinks he would make more in free agency than the Rams are asking him to settle for, he could tell them to either pay him the $13 million for the final year of his deal or release him.

St. Louis has a lot of the pieces in place to be a playoff team next season, if the quarterback position can get stabilized. But given Bradford’s injury history and the uncertainty surrounding his contract, that’s a big “if.”

Okay, that links to

Albert BreerVerified account‏@AlbertBreer
Will have more in my NFL Notes,
but Jeff Fisher told me he wants Bradford back.
Said Bradford/Kroenke were the 2 reasons
he took the job.

Now, where did Fisher say "at the right price"?

It was in the title of the Michael David Smith article and mentioned 'haircut'

Now, leaving aside the merits of the argument, likely all of us would like Sam to take a pay cut, and in the world of performance if you're hurt then you have not given full value for your money, but Sam and his agent are not obligated to do that, it just makes some sense.

But the journalism is really "stellar" is it not?

Now, perhaps since this was published, which was during the season, there may be some on or off the record by Demoff or Snisher . . .but that was not referenced here.

However, that is not what bugs me. Pro Football Talk, like ESPN, was all over Spygatge, then backed off . . . PFT was bought by NBC and it went from gossip blog to more of a promotion of the game (which is fine) but they gave up on Spygate at the time. So if they want ot be mainstream then follow maintream journalism and don't quote a title that has no basis in fact.

Again, it is very possible Rams want Sam to restructure, but this latest SI article still has no Rams official on or off the record saying it.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/09/st-louis-rams-sam-bradford-contract

BY SI WIRE
Email
Posted: Mon Feb. 9, 2015
The St. Louis Rams want to restructure the final season of quarterback Sam Bradford’s rookie contract, reports Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Bradford signed a six-year, $78 million deal before his rookie season in 2011 and is scheduled to make $12.985 million next season, with a $16.58 million cap number.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that he would like to have Bradford back for the 2015 season, but he would have to rework his deal and win the starting job.

Bradford, 27, missed the entire 2014 season after re-injuring his surgically repaired left knee in the third week of the preseason. Bradford also missed the last nine games in 2013 after injuring the knee for the first time.

He has completed 58.6 percent of his passes for 11,065 yards with 59 touchdowns and 38 interceptions in his five NFL seasons.

Bradford has said he would understand if the team went out and got a free-agent or picked a quarterback during this year’s draft, considering his salary and injury history.

The Rams went 6-10 last season, have not finished .500 since 2006 and haven't had a winning record since 2003.

- Scooby Axson

Now scooby is reporting what is being said around NFL and links to the Jim Thomas article

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0fd090c2-889d-5c5b-8264-cc665a85dd7e.html

Quarterback Sam Bradford: The Rams want to restructure the final year of the injury-plagued Bradford’s contract. They could do so by lopping off some of the $12.985 million base salary he is due in 2015, the last year of his contract, while potentially putting in incentives that could allow Bradford to recoup much of that money.

An outright release would save the team that $12.985 million out of an overall cap count of $16.58 million.

Now, has Fish or Snead may very well be the source on all this, but in none of the articles does it say "unamed source" or "Rams official" . .. I wonder why that is.

A320driver

Rookie
Snead will grab Foles if hes available..Even if they can restructure Sam's contract, I have heard that they want another vet for insurance...as per last years debacle.
Also, if Tampa puts Glennon on the trading block hes a strong possibility as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is an interesting quote if applied to Sam Bradford as well. Pretty interesting and accurate