Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'd swap 1st round picks and give them a 5th. He's on the last year of his rookie deal so this is essentially a one year rental. Other wise I like Jrry's idea of Glennon for a 5th or Stacy.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
If I were in their shoes, I'm not passing on a guy that I think is a franchise QB for Foles and a bunch of picks. You might not have a shot at another...especially if you get caught in QB purgatory with Foles.

Who knows if they see Winston or Mariota as Franchise QB's. Foles could turn out to be or he could just be a backup. To me it would depend on what they could sign him for money and years wise whether they would be strapped in QB hell wih him. Multiple years of Draft picks could be worth a lot, especially if a good QB class comes around the next couple years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd swap 1st round picks and give them a 5th. He's on the last year of his rookie deal so this is essentially a one year rental. Other wise I like Jrry's idea of Glennon for a 5th or Stacy.

Give them a 5th? If we were to swap picks and take Foles, that would value Foles at the #35 pick in the draft according to the TVC. Now, the TVC is only a very rough estimate...but still, I'm not giving them back anything if Foles is being valued as a 2nd rounder. :whistle:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows if they see Winston or Mariota as Franchise QB's. Foles could turn out to be or he could just be a backup. To me it would depend on what they could sign him for money and years wise whether they would be strapped in QB hell wih him. Multiple years of Draft picks could be worth a lot, especially if a good QB class comes around the next couple years.

Speaking strictly for myself, I see Winston as a franchise QB. I'm not passing on him unless I get an insane offer...and Philly offering me 2-3 1sts and Foles just isn't enough. Especially considering they're a team that could perennial playoff contender if the Mariota pick works out.

You know what they say...a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. :)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

That's very sound minded

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Give them a 5th? If we were to swap picks and take Foles, that would value Foles at the #35 pick in the draft according to the TVC. Now, the TVC is only a very rough estimate...but still, I'm not giving them back anything if Foles is being valued as a 2nd rounder. :whistle:

I'd love to fleece them for a straight 5th, but Foles has shown too much to get him at that rate. Moving down 10 spots means squat if you like Foles. We'd still have #20 to and could go strictly BPA. There will be plenty of talent to choose from, just gotta hit on the pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to fleece them for a straight 5th, but Foles has shown too much to get him at that rate. Moving down 10 spots means squat if you like Foles. We'd still have #20 to and could go strictly BPA. There will be plenty of talent to choose from, just gotta hit on the pick.

No. What I'm saying is if we're moving down 10 spots and only getting Foles back, I'm not giving them a 5th. That already values him at a 2nd round value. Which, imo, is overvaluing him.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
No. What I'm saying is if we're moving down 10 spots and only getting Foles back, I'm not giving them a 5th. That already values him at a 2nd round value. Which, imo, is overvaluing him.

I totally get what you are saying based off the value chart. Do you think they would trade him with just swapping 1st round picks? I think they will want a little more than that for ammo to move up and get Mariota. I'd be thrilled if we could get Foles for just moving down 10 spots.

Btw, good to converse with you again. You always bring an interesting and thought out take on the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I totally get what you are saying based off the value chart. Do you think they would trade him with just swapping 1st round picks? I think they will want a little more than that for ammo to move up and get Mariota. I'd be thrilled if we could get Foles for just moving down 10 spots.

I think if they're asking for more, I'd tell them to take a hike. ;)

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@jrry32 I'd be cool trading for Foles or Glennon, but I agree only if the price is right. How much do you think we need to give to trade for either Winston or Mariota? Our 1 this year, 2016 #1, and this years 3rd round pick?

I'm the problem at QB won't improve because I highly doubt we pick in the top 10 in 2016, which means we'd be again out of range for a top tier QB. How much are you willing to trade?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 I'd be cool trading for Foles or Glennon, but I agree only if the price is right. How much do you think we need to give to trade for either Winston or Mariota? Our 1 this year, 2016 #1, and this years 3rd round pick?

I'm the problem at QB won't improve because I highly doubt we pick in the top 10 in 2016, which means we'd be again out of range for a top tier QB. How much are you willing to trade?

I honestly don't know. Depends on what other teams are willing to offer.

The bold seems like a realistic valuation but you never know. Could be more or could be less.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
@jrry32 what do you think goes down in the 1st two picks? Do you think we need to jump to #2 to get our QB or just #5 to jump NYJ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 what do you think goes down in the 1st two picks? Do you think we need to jump to #2 to get our QB or just #5 to jump NYJ?

I don't think Tennessee drafts a QB at #2. IMO, that's why they're interested in Foles. That's Whisenhunt's MO...veteran QBs. He wants someone to hedge his bets with Mettenberger. IMO, it'll be a veteran.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I don't think Tennessee drafts a QB at #2. IMO, that's why they're interested in Foles. That's Whisenhunt's MO...veteran QBs. He wants someone to hedge his bets with Mettenberger. IMO, it'll be a veteran.

I'm beginning to think Winston goes #1 if he checks out at Combine/Pro Day and background checks/interviews go well.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
QUOTE="jrry32, post: 500549, member: 572"]Speaking strictly for myself, I see Winston as a franchise QB. I'm not passing on him unless I get an insane offer...and Philly offering me 2-3 1sts and Foles just isn't enough. Especially considering they're a team that could perennial playoff contender if the Mariota pick works out.

You know what they say...a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. :)[/QUOTE]

I hear what your saying. The thing is will Lovey who had to deal with Cutler actually want to deal with a bigger headcase in Winston. I get you dont think Winston is an issue, a lot of people do though and Lovey doesn't strike me as the type that likes dealing with the off field headcases

OJM

UDFA
If this offensive line isn't fixed, Foles won't make it through 3 games here. It's time to get a mobile qb here. Look how great of a weapon play action is for the playoff qbs. The last few years, the niners and Seahawks have done great things with those type of plays and just the fact that they have a qb that can get out of trouble. I would love to see a non statue qb here, that could bail out the link e when a bad play comes.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Bradford could run the Chip Kelly offense. He played super up tempo in OK, I'm sure he could do it! If Philly throws in their first, I'd trade Bradford for Foles!

RamBill

Legend

Tipsheet: Foles could provide QB solution for Rams

• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_80339bc3-5258-572b-ae2e-c94ac48f5c32.html

Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly is trying to run the Oregon offense in the NFL. He loves Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota.

Since Mariota is expected to go near the top of the draft and the Eagles don't pick until No. 20 in the first round, putting together a trade package for the Heisman Trophy winner won't be easy.

That is where the Rams could come in. Should the Eagles opt to move quarterback Nick Foles to clear space for Mariota, the Rams would likely make a bid.

And the Rams have the 10th overall draft pick. If the Rams are willing to spend it to get a proven alternative at quarterback, the Eagles could throw that pick in the trade package for a top pick to land Mariota.

Foles, who is 6-foot-6 and 243 pounds, is immobile — like the star-crossed Sam Bradford. But Foles has fully operational legs. He has completed 61.6 percent of his career passes and thrown 46 touchdown passes against just 17 interceptions.

But he took a step back last season. Foles played just eight games last season before suffering a fractured collarbone. He threw 13 TD passes in those games but also 10 interceptions -- a far cry from his stunning 27-2 TDs-to-INTs ratio the season before.

Foles, 26, will be entering the "walk" year of his contract, so he will be heavily motivated to get back on track.

The Rams wouldn't be the only team bidding for Foles, should he hit the market as some expect, so we could have a bit of intrigue as the NFL season nears.

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE

Questions to ponder while Rams fans rush out to buy tickets now that they know there will be a 2015 season at the Edward Jones Dome:

Did anybody believe Tom Brady's shifty denials?

Just what was going on with those footballs in a stadium bathroom?

Will we get to the bottom of Robert Allenby's KidnapGate?

What does a Super Bowl party look like from a cat's perspective?

QUIPS 'R US

Here is what some of our favorite sports pundits have been writing:

Mike Tanier, Sports on Earth: "If Tom Brady throws an underinflated football to Julian Edelman, but Richard Sherman breaks it up, but Sherman held for the entire play, but there was no flag, but the Patriots were in an 'illegal' four-lineman formation, but Sherman tested positive for PEDs after the game, but the sample was improperly handled, does that mean that the Lions won the Super Bowl? Welcome to Super Bowl week. Everyone is miserable. The Colts feel cheated out of a slightly less-lopsided loss in the AFC Championship Game. The Cowboys feel cheated out of a catch that would have counted if not for pesky details like 'the rulebook,' 'past precedent' and 'the ground.' The Lions feel cheated because of a flag that got picked up—or perhaps sucked into a nearby unpressurized football. The Ravens feel cheated out of the indignation that should rightfully have been theirs if only #ConfusingEligibleReceiverSubstitutionPatternGate had a nice ring to it or made a feasible hashtag. And now, the Patriots feel cheated out of the recognition they deserve and the Seahawks feel cheated out of the attention they deserve. At least the Packers know they have no one to blame but themselves. They may not get rings, but emotional health is the greatest prize of all."

Greg Cote, Miami Herald: "Whether Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and the Patriots are cheaters will be the clear media-theme winner this week. For the record, both deny all wrongdoing. Belichick is now vague on whether he even attended last week’s game."

Doug Farrar, SI.com: "This isn't exactly news, but the NFL has a bit of a public relations problem these days. The league is still smarting from the ways in which the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson scandals were handled and mishandled, and the Deflategate controversy that emerged after the New England Patriots beat the Indianapolis Colts 45-7 in the AFC Championship Game was the worst news possible to an NFL head office that fervently hoped the Super Bowl hype would wash away a season of bad headlines. It wasn't so much that the Patriots allegedly went outside the rules to alter game balls in ways that would be preferable to Tom Brady -- the league said it would investigate, and it's started that process. But the general public distrust of any administrative process involving Roger Goodell informed the league that it better handle this one right. Or, that was the general idea. On Sunday, Brady told ESPN's Chris Berman that a week after Indianapolis newsman Bob Kravitz broke the news about the deflated balls, the league had not yet talked to the star quarterback as part of its ongoing investigation."

Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports: "Forget all about the most debated topics that have stemmed from the New England Patriots' use of deflated footballs in the AFC championship game – did Tom Brady order it, did Bill Belichick know about it, is Bill Nye the Science Guy even a scientist? The question that has clues but no conclusion, the one that could prove to be the biggest and most historic of them all is this: Did the NFL run a sting operation on the Patriots? And if so, shouldn't the Indianapolis Colts, and the rest of the league, be more upset about the league's investigative tactics than anything New England has been accused of doing? Reports have emerged during the past week that NFL teams, including the Colts, complained during the regular season and perhaps playoffs about the Patriots using underinflated footballs. Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reporter that in response to those complaints, the league always planned on checking New England's footballs at halftime. ESPN's Ed Werder reiterated that suggestion on Twitter on Sunday. If so then the NFL was willing to let New England use a deflated football to its advantage for the first half of a game with the Super Bowl on the line, rather than stop the contest immediately and check, or even just warn the Patriots of their concerns prior to kickoff to make sure everything was fair and square for all 60 minutes. This would be … astounding."

Ian O'Connor, ESPN.com: "Robert Kraft got off the team plane and decided to pick up the blitz for his head coach and quarterback, if only because he felt he had no choice. The walls were closing hard around him, threatening to collapse on top of his staggering NFL success story, and the owner of the New England Patriots figured he had better get as rough and tough as Bill Belichick got Saturday. No, Kraft didn't put on a bizarre science fair to explain how the home team's footballs could lose air in the AFC Championship Game faster than Andrew Luck's offense did. Instead, the owner stepped to the microphone and read a speech proclaiming that Belichick and Tom Brady had committed no air-pressure felonies or misdemeanors, and that if the NFL's investigation proves just that, he'd 'expect and hope that the league would apologize to our entire team, and in particular Coach Belichick and Tom Brady for what they've had to endure this past week.' Kraft had better be right here. If he isn't, the three-time Super Bowl champ is going to be best remembered as one of the sport's biggest losers."

MEGAPHONE

"At the end of the day, this is about the Super Bowl. I'm gonna tell my teammates to go hit that elbow, go hit that shoulder. ... Try to break it if you can. (Richard Sherman) is going to be my best friend after the game, but at the end of the day, I know you want the Super Bowl just as bad as I do."

New England Patriots cornerback Brandon Browner, wishing ill will on Seattle defensive backs Sherman and Earl Thomas.