Nick Foles’ season was even worse than his stats suggest

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...was-worse-than-his-conventional-stats-looked/

Nick Foles was worse than his conventional stats looked
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2016

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptuznmvizdliytrjythiytdmmtc0odq4n2zkngy5nwy1-e1447764223186.jpeg
AP

Rams quarterback Nick Foles had a bad season last year, which is why he went from being anointed as the franchise quarterback to getting benched for Case Keenum. But Foles’ season was even worse than his stats suggest.

Foles completed 190 of 337 passes for 2,052 yards, a completion rate of 56.4 percent and an average of 6.1 yards per pass. Those numbers aren’t particularly good on their own, but those bad stats are dwarfed by another stat that shows just how terrible Foles really was: Failed completions.

As explained by Scott Kacsmar of FootballOutsiders.com, failed completions are complete passes that fail to gain 45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down or 100 percent on third or fourth down. An eight-yard completion on third-and-10, for instance, would pad a quarterback’s conventional stats, but it would be counted as a failed completion.

And Foles has elevated failed completions to an art form: A whopping 41.1 percent of Foles’ completions were failed completions. That’s by far the worst rate in the NFL this season, and it’s the worst rate in the NFL since at least 1989, which is as far back as Football Outsiders’ stats go.

In other words, for as bad as Foles’ stats look, he actually padded his stats with a lot of four-yard completions on second-and-10, or nine-yard completions on third-and-12. Foles had an ugly 69.0 passer rating in 2015, but he was even worse than his stats suggest.
-------------
Having watched every game, I’d say that he was even worse than that. He was complete garbage.
------------
Foles looked bad, really bad. But he had little in the way of receivers, no offensive line, and a bad offensive coordinator.
------------
If you blame the Rams OL, you have exposed yourself as someone who knows ZERO about the 2015 Rams.
------------
I watched every game and his play was up and down until the Vikings game and then he imploded.

Foles is bad when he is constantly under pressure, but once they lost 3 of their 5 starters on the OL their whole offense went in the tank, including Gurley. Keenum fared better with the makeshift line, but he also benefited from better play calling.

Havenstein coming back finally stabilized things because it allowed them to shift their backups into their correct roles.

I really hope the Rams make a move in FA or the draft for a QB, but if they don’t I wouldn’t be shocked to see Foles looks better than Keenum in training camp. He’s the better of the two when the OL and receivers are performing well. Maybe the Rams will remember his 2015 meltdown and stick with Keenum even if Foles plays better.
-------------
As a former Ram fan it truly was the worst quarterback play I’ve ever seen. He had no business being on the field.
----------
Everyone knows Uncle Rico was the one with the arm in that family.
------------
Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Tim Couch and Dan Orlovsky want to thank FootballOutsiders for finding someone worst than them……

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'll never forget how hopeless he made me feel during the Chicago game. I've never seen a QB miss so many easy throws in a single game like that before. I hope he never takes another snap for the Rams. Shame, seems like he has the leadership and mental toughness side of things. He's just bad at the actual QBing part it turns out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We didn't need any stats to know that was the worst display of qbing from a starting qb in the history of the nfl. The older guys may have seen worse but i haven't and I've been watching the nfl since 1990.

Like @ramfan46 said you couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness watching him butcher throw after throw.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

We didn't need any stats to know that was the worst display of qbing from a starting qb in the history of the nfl. The older guys may have seen worse but i haven't and I've been watching the nfl since 1990.

Like @ramfan46 said you couldn't shake the feeling of helplessness watching him butcher throw after throw.

I'd rather have Foles than Tony Banks but that doesn't mean that Foles wasn't horrible.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Not looking to pile on him but yeah - it was the worst quarterbacking from a starter I think I've ever seen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Such a tease that guy was. I mean, when he dropped that dime to Stedman between Sherman and Thomas in the first game, and we ended up winning, I thought for sure we had our QB of the future. Still wiping that egg off of my face right now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Such a tease that guy was. I mean, when he dropped that dime to Stedman between Sherman and Thomas in the first game, and we ended up winning, I thought for sure we had our QB of the future. Still wiping that egg off of my face right now.
Hey, it happens... especially with our team.

That's why I've become more skeptical.. I know that doesn't sit right with some fans but - at this point in time - I need a decent body of work to start really believing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
His play was short of Dynamite. Ba doom bish.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I feel bad for the guy. He was historically bad. The season is over now though and he almost certainly will not be starting for the Rams again. The media needs to move on. And if we don't address the QB position this off-season then it is time to blast Snisher. Not Foles.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Like many of us I thought we had our QB to finally get us over the top. But he turned out to be fools gold and just tore the heart out of Rams nation.I know I won't feel comfortable if he somehow gets the nod to start the season. He might be better than Keenum but he falls completely apart with any kind of pressure.I guess there's always the chance he performs better with a healthy oline and better receivers.But I wouldn't bet on it just hope he's at least decent if we do keep him.

nighttrain

Legend
Foles on the Rams roster is begging for disaster, guy lost whatever he had and i dont think he gets it back
train

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
People who say we shouldn't cut Foles because it doesn't save us much and that we'll have dead money are missing the big picture. Anything paid to Foles next year is ALREADY dead money, because he's just an awful QB. But if we keep him, not only do we pay him what is effectively dead money, he consumes a roster spot that could be better used on another player that has some upside.

diggity

Rookie
He was a mistake. A foolish quick move to get rid of Bradford. Fisher is not an offensive Guy. Fans saw it, but...he sure didn't.
GO RAMS!!!!