Nick Foles/Sean Mannion comparisons?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Other than they are both tall (6'6") QB's are there any other physical/mental traits that two players may have in common? Just curious about both players arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness, football IQ, etc.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You tell me.

STRENGTHS

Mannion is a four-year starter who owns 18 passing records at Oregon State. Tall quarterback who sees over the offensive line. Throws with high release point. Plays with desired footwork. Can sit down and shift weight properly to drive the intermediate throws. Played in pro-style offense and is comfortable with 3-, 5- and 7-step drops from under center. When protected, shows confidence to stand and deliver with accuracy to all areas of the field. Trusted by head coach Mike Riley to make pre-snap reads and audible. Played in multiple-read offense and shows patience in allowing routes to develop. Good feel for pro-style play-action passing attack and can throw with above-average accuracy and ball placement.

WEAKNESSES
Tempo of his play is a concern. Slow in takeaway from center and set-up and slow getting through progressions. Carries ball low in the pocket, allowing defenders to swipe at it. Finished career with 30 fumbles and 54 interceptions. Poise and mobility in pocket are below average. Not considered a play-extender outside of pocket. Drops eyes and misses throwing windows when he senses pressure around him. Decision making greatly influenced by level of pressure around him. Fails to throw with adequate zip when feet aren't under him and he doesn't step strongly into throw. Takes too long to get rid of throws on out routes.

============================================================================================

STRENGTHS
Foles has a strong arm that gets him through various other hitches in his game. There are times when Foles throws the deep, cross-field out-route while on his back foot (and facing pressure) accurately and with ease. While not the most athletic quarterback, he is aware in the pocket to avoid pressure and has a good sense of how and when to extend a play to his advantage. As a deep passer he has strength but can struggle with accuracy at times. His accuracy is evident in his short to intermediate throws, where he can put it right on a receiver or lead him fluidly in stride. He would be more valuable in a West Coast scheme where could make quick decisions and not be forced to unleash deep throws on a consistent basis. He is an excellent game manager for moving the ball in bunches up the field. He is extremely poised in the pocket and rarely lets a heavy pass rush rattle his throws.

WEAKNESSES
Mobility has been the Achilles heel for Foles and will likely continue to be exposed even more at the next level. He is solely a pocket passer and hardly ever moves the chains with his feet. He has the ability to extend, but he is not going to out-run any defenders at the next level. This can sometimes effect his set-up, as it can be uncoordinated at times, although rarely affects his actual pass. There are times when the ball can get away from him when throwing deep, and he has struggled with accuracy there. His release is sufficient but not fast by any means. His judgment with the ball is somewhat questioned, as he can be slow to get rid of the ball and scramble into trouble.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You tell me.

STRENGTHS

Mannion is a four-year starter who owns 18 passing records at Oregon State. Tall quarterback who sees over the offensive line. Throws with high release point. Plays with desired footwork. Can sit down and shift weight properly to drive the intermediate throws. Played in pro-style offense and is comfortable with 3-, 5- and 7-step drops from under center. When protected, shows confidence to stand and deliver with accuracy to all areas of the field. Trusted by head coach Mike Riley to make pre-snap reads and audible. Played in multiple-read offense and shows patience in allowing routes to develop. Good feel for pro-style play-action passing attack and can throw with above-average accuracy and ball placement.

WEAKNESSES
Tempo of his play is a concern. Slow in takeaway from center and set-up and slow getting through progressions. Carries ball low in the pocket, allowing defenders to swipe at it. Finished career with 30 fumbles and 54 interceptions. Poise and mobility in pocket are below average. Not considered a play-extender outside of pocket. Drops eyes and misses throwing windows when he senses pressure around him. Decision making greatly influenced by level of pressure around him. Fails to throw with adequate zip when feet aren't under him and he doesn't step strongly into throw. Takes too long to get rid of throws on out routes.

============================================================================================

STRENGTHS
Foles has a strong arm that gets him through various other hitches in his game. There are times when Foles throws the deep, cross-field out-route while on his back foot (and facing pressure) accurately and with ease. While not the most athletic quarterback, he is aware in the pocket to avoid pressure and has a good sense of how and when to extend a play to his advantage. As a deep passer he has strength but can struggle with accuracy at times. His accuracy is evident in his short to intermediate throws, where he can put it right on a receiver or lead him fluidly in stride. He would be more valuable in a West Coast scheme where could make quick decisions and not be forced to unleash deep throws on a consistent basis. He is an excellent game manager for moving the ball in bunches up the field. He is extremely poised in the pocket and rarely lets a heavy pass rush rattle his throws.

WEAKNESSES
Mobility has been the Achilles heel for Foles and will likely continue to be exposed even more at the next level. He is solely a pocket passer and hardly ever moves the chains with his feet. He has the ability to extend, but he is not going to out-run any defenders at the next level. This can sometimes effect his set-up, as it can be uncoordinated at times, although rarely affects his actual pass. There are times when the ball can get away from him when throwing deep, and he has struggled with accuracy there. His release is sufficient but not fast by any means. His judgment with the ball is somewhat questioned, as he can be slow to get rid of the ball and scramble into trouble.

Thanks for sharing this information! It is very much appreciated! I feel much better about the Rams current QB situation (Foles, Mannion, Keenum, Davis) than I have in a long time!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks for sharing this information! It is very much appreciated! I feel much better about the Rams current QB situation (Foles, Mannion, Keenum, Davis) than I have in a long time!
I kinda hope Keenum beats out Davis for the #2 spot, because that dude can just play.
He reminds me of Brees and Flutie. Just goes out there and gets animated/has a good time.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
"You can't coach guts".

I really do like and respect Keenum and I hope he makes the Rams final roster! Maybe, if he can't make it at the QB position maybe the Rams can put as a backup to James Laurinaitis! Keenum is one TOUGH DUDE!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You can't coach height either.
IhzyeTI.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, too bad Gruden loves everybody. Not sure why he didn't point out the bad decisions on some of the passes he "loved".
Gruden can blow me. I don't pay much attention to the dude who would "do backflips all the way to Waco to get RGIII". I just agree with his assessment of Keenum's heart. But that doesn't take an expert to see either, so...

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Gruden can blow me. I don't pay much attention to the dude who would "do backflips all the way to Waco to get RGIII". I just agree with his assessment of Keenum's heart. But that doesn't take an expert to see either, so...
630eb353e2ac03d7208217a3372236449ec14ee1ab397a9b32c79592177c6b98.jpg

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
"You can't coach guts".
That is IMO really what determines success in pro sports. These people are all gifted but not all of them work at greatness. Too many examples to name but Lawrence Phillips comes to mind, out of college that guy had every athletic tool you could want in a player. He was a total shithead, just imagine if he had the work ethic of a normal human, much less one like Manning, Rice, or Walter Payton.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Other than they are both tall (6'6") QB's are there any other physical/mental traits that two players may have in common? Just curious about both players arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness, football IQ, etc.

Yep. A lot of things in common. In terms of physical attributes, they're very similar.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
You tell me.

STRENGTHS

WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS

WEAKNESSES

On these strengths/weaknesses for Mannion - if they're accurate (and from what I've seen of him I think its fair), I am encouraged. Those weaknesses that are listed are largely coachable - ok - pocket poise isn't. If you get flustered day 1 in the NFL you're likely going to be flustered and have your eyes drop after 10 years in the NFL. Brady still does it. Carrying the ball low? That's coachable. Slow set up? Coachable. Progressions - that's a bit more difficult. If you process stuff slowly you'll never really improve on that - and its a big deal for a QB - but if the read process just needs speeding up so he can learn a rhythm of his progressions I'm sure that can be helped along too. I like the guy and I'm really looking forwards to seeing him in PS.

lockdnram21

Legend
I kinda hope Keenum beats out Davis for the #2 spot, because that dude can just play.
He reminds me of Brees and Flutie. Just goes out there and gets animated/has a good time.
I hope Mannion beats both of them out

FRO

Legend
I think that's why they picked him. I just hope the decision making and accuracy is there for the both of them. Statistically Foles may have had a good game against us, I just remember numerous bad decisions he made and got away with. I'm hoping it was just a bad game and not indicative of his actual decision making.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Mannion beats both of them out

I doubt they go with Mannion as #2 to start the season. I'm hoping Keenum looks good enough to be the #2, and Mannion starts as #3. Later on, if injuries at other positions start to mount they might need to promote Mannion to #2 and cut Keenum for roster reasons.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
If they were both in the same draft, based on my watching the 2 on Saturdays, I would have selected Mannion over Foles 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.