Nick Foles Evaluation/Discussion Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Less mobile? Are you serious? Less accurate too? I don't see it. I think Sam may have a stronger arm but Nick's got a nicer touch on the ball. He can and does through an accurate long ball. Sam runs (which isn't often) like a big lummox. He was never a threat with his legs. I love Sam and was totally shocked by the trade, but I REALLY think we will be better off with Foles.

I think Sam is more mobile than people give him credit for. He is very good on play action. I might be underestimating Foles' arm and legs.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I definitely don't think he's got the ceiling Bradford has but like I've seen some say he's not very mobile, accurate and he's got a good...not great...arm. still worried about him darting in FA next year

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I see Sam as being more accurate throwing into tight windows both short and long.

I see Nick Foles being more accurate throwing with touch both short and long.

Both QBs may make out in this deal. I dunno. I do know that the Rams missed plenty of opportunities due to lack of touch passes. Defenses could front us and take a guy away because none of our QBs had touch with accuracy. Foles does and that will only improve as Cignetti and Weinke get to work on that footwork.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
My unprofessional opinion:

Foles is essentially a slightly younger version of Bradford with some injury history that isn't as significant as Bradford's, but still is worthy of slight concern. Additionally, he might be slightly less mobile than Bradford and less accurate, but should fit the similar mold of what I think Fisher wants in a QB- a passer who won't turn over the ball, makes smart decisions, and has the arm strength to make long passes when needed.
Apparently he's had some balance problems with his feet at times, let's see what happens if they can coach him up. For now, it's all speculation. Each system brings surprises. Bradford's got to get through some challenging head issues, IMO. It took Palmer 2 or 3 years as I recall to get his head back on straight....is that any surprise under the circumstances? I think we're way ahead on this deal.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I definitely don't think he's got the ceiling Bradford has but like I've seen some say he's not very mobile, accurate and he's got a good...not great...arm. still worried about him darting in FA next year

No need to lose sleep. If he's mediocre, then it's not a big loss. If he's great, FRANCHISE TAG.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
No need to lose sleep. If he's mediocre, then it's not a big loss. If he's great, FRANCHISE TAG.

Plus I get the sense he has a reason to feel that the Eagles wronged him during his time in Phili. Why wouldn't he want to stick with the team that valued him enough to pull the trigger on a trade for him?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Bradford has better tools. Foles will take more chances, something I wish Sam would have done more. I think the hope is Foles can be Alex Smith.
Bradford didn't have the cast until his final preseason to take many chances. Foles will be able to take more chances with three targets that are 6'3 plus and the ability to use Tavon as a version of Desean and Mason a more raw version of Shady

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is everytime Sam got sacked or touched I was crapping bricks, wondering if he was done for the season again. I won't have to worry about that anymore and I'm ready to move forward as a fan and also wish Sam the best. Weird how the Rams have a history of trading QB's to Philly! Sam will easily be the nicest guy ever to step foot in Philly.

FRO

Legend
All I know is everytime Sam got sacked or touched I was crapping bricks, wondering if he was done for the season again. I won't have to worry about that anymore and I'm ready to move forward as a fan and also wish Sam the best. Weird how the Rams have a history of trading QB's to Philly! Sam will easily be the nicest guy ever to step foot in Philly.
Well Foles isn't the most durable either, so we will still be wincing every time the QB gets hit. I'm not comfortable at all with the backups.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
The one good thing we have going in this whole thing is basically he is getting a tryout ... at a lot less $$$ than we were paying. He will either show us that he deserves another contact OR . we will be able to walk away (with another 2nd Rd. pick) and take a QB next yr.

Here is my take on this development/situation:

First let us ALL calm down a bit. This deal in my opinion, was a swap for QBs pure and simple. The Eagles get a QB that they think kicked ass in this type of offense in college and can do it in the NFL.... quick reads/decisions with the ability to throw it deep. The Rams get a QB that was raised in a traditional pro style that likes to stay in the pocket and absorb hits to make the throw. The exchange of 4th and 5th rounds picks also sort of make it a wash if both are healthy.

Now we get to the good stuff - the conditional picks. This is were each side hedges it bets big time. Rams fans, I know you are feeling good about the 2nd round pick and how this makes the Rams the big winner in the trade. But look at the small print, the Rams only get a 2nd round if Sam PLAYS ALL 16 games with no production offset (Most of us do not thing this is possible -- we think he is a China Doll. Better hope that this IS NOT the case and his injuries are behind him or this is what happens or what we get:

• If Bradford plays less than 50 percent of the snaps in 2015, the Eagles get a 2016 fourth-round pick from the Rams.
  • If Bradford does not play this season, the Eagles get a 2016 third-round pick from the Rams.
  • If Bradford plays more than 50 percent of the snaps in 2015, the Eagles get no additional picks.
Do you get this !! We only get a 2nd if Sam is healthy for a whole year. If he is not we are paying Philly.

Basically Ram's are betting that Sam will be healthy and will get them a second round pick On the other hand the Eagles have a back stop if he is not healthy. Folks are trashing Kelly but I think he protected himself well. He is paying the piper only if SAM is not healthy. If Sam is productive Kelly makes out like a bandit.

Ram's want health and Eagles want talent. Right know it is a push. Time will tell who is right.

bskrilla

Starter
"Do you get this !! We only get a 2nd if Sam is healthy for a whole year. If he is not we are paying Philly."

This is false. We get the second no matter what. We may have to give up a 3rd or 4th if Bradford gets hurt, but the 2nd rounder to us is guaranteed.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Everything I've "read" - as I haven't watched him a ton - is that he's got good arm strength and if he cleaned up his mechanics it could be great. My biggest worry about him is that his mechanics fall apart quickly when pressured.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everything I've "read" - as I haven't watched him a ton - is that he's got good arm strength and if he cleaned up his mechanics it could be great. My biggest worry about him is that his mechanics fall apart quickly when pressured.

Eh, not at all imo. His deeper passes tend hang in the air a bit. As I mentioned earlier, I think people tend to overstate tall QBs' arm strength because they don't have to put as much arc on the ball. His arm strength is just middle of the pack. Not good, not bad...just adequate.

ram007

Starter
Who is the real Foles?

2013 version OR 2012/2014 version? If it is latter we are screwed! Hope it is former.

Good night folks

WestCoastRam

Legend
Who is the real Foles?

2013 version OR 2012/2014 version? If it is latter we are screwed! Hope it is former.

Good night folks

I imagine it's probably both. Been reading up on Foles and it sounds like he got away with some poor passes in 2013 that defenders dropped (interceptions) and had wide open receivers due to scheme and a good oline. In 2014, his oline was hurt, defenders caught those interceptions and his wide receivers were no longer as open as defenses had caught up to scheme.

The reality is he's a system QB. So, if we put the pieces in place for him, he'll perform well but if we don't fix our oline, have consistent WR play and a good running back, we're in a world of hurt.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think Bradford took chances, but maybe some problems re:going deep were due to the WRs at the time.

And yeah, I think Foles, at best, will end up being a better version of Alex Smith. Not as mobile or accurate, but a stronger time and willing to take risks when needed.
I think comparing Files to Smith is a stretch. Trading Smith in favor of Kaepernick was just foolish on the 49ers, but I am admittedly a fan of Alex Smith.

I do think Foles could be a really good fit for us though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Sam is more mobile than people give him credit for. He is very good on play action. I might be underestimating Foles' arm and legs.

I think Foles and Bradford are both more agile/mobile than they get credit for by fans.