Nick Foles at No. 22 in league insiders' QB ranking/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Foles at No. 22 in league insiders' quarterback rankings
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...no-22-in-league-insiders-quarterback-rankings

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In what has become an annual project for ESPN NFL Insider Mike Sando, he's once again surveyed 35 NFL personnel evaluators and coaches in an effort to properly rank the league's quarterbacks.

Sando asked the panel to offer a score between one and five for each player with a "one" defined as a signal caller capable of carrying a team from week to week to contender status. A "five" is reserved for the worst but generally not used for starting quarterbacks in the league, even those at the bottom of the list.

The St. Louis Rams changed quarterbacks this offseason, trading Sam Bradford to the Philadelphia Eagles for Nick Foles and draft pick consideration. According to the way the numbers came out in Sando' survey, the Rams upgraded... barely. The rankings saw Foles come in at No. 22 on the list with an average rating of 3.2. Bradford checked in at No. 23 with an average rating of 3.23.

Foles' rating dropped from No. 15 last year when he was coming off a big 2013 season in which he threw 27 touchdowns and just two interceptions. But he was unable to duplicate that success in eight games last year before an injury ended his season early. That seems to be the primary reason for the drop off and Foles' presence in the third "tier" among quarterbacks.

As you'd expect, those doubting Foles question how he'll fare outside the confines of Chip Kelly's offense in Philadelphia. Likewise, those uncertain about Bradford wonder whether he can stay healthy.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Tuesday's Rams stories at ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we began the day with a look at the player considered to be the most important for the Rams as they head toward training camp.�... In our ongoing series looking at five key Rams in 2015, we turned our attention to linebacker Alec Ogletree and his search for consistency.

Elsewhere:�

Grantland.com's Robert Mays examined the value of wide receivers in the NFL in the wake of the big contracts for Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas.

SI.com offers up its offseason report card for the Rams.

Kurt Warner tells the local FOX station that he believes the Rams should stay in St. Louis.

STLToday.com caught up with new Chiefs receiver Jeremy Maclin about some of the work he's doing in his hometown.

Alan

Legend
I've got a question @RamBill and I'm going to ask you in public because it concerns all of us who get to read your posts.

How do you feel about getting likes when you post an article? I'm hit or miss (even though you deserve one for every post) in giving you likes and I don't often see multiple likes on your posts but I know for a fact that you are a huge part of why this is the best Rams forum on the planet. Having said that, I was thinking about what happens every time you come to the site. Even with the fact that not many give you a like on each posts, you're so prolific that it must take you a long time to clear each one and you're already so busy finding and posting articles for ROD and other forums you must be pressed for time. Even if you have no life like me. :LOL:

What would you prefer?

Last edited:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>Foles' rating dropped from No. 15 last year when he was coming off a big 2013 season in which he threw 27 touchdowns and just two interceptions.<<

How many freakin times will this stat be repeated and repeated and repeated ad infinitum? It's like every single one of these guys has to repeat this same tired statistic in some vain attempt to define performance. Is there anyone on the planet that doesn't already know about this stat? Good grief. :mad:

Big Willie

Starter
According to the NFL statistics, Austin Davis was the 30th ranked QB and Shaun Hill was the 34th. If Either of them had been ranked 22nd in statistics the Rams would have won at least two more games in 2014. I will never are Foles as the 22nd QB.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
What amazes me is that all these media outlets are pretty much in agreement, they all have Foles in that 20-25 range.

ram007

Starter
What amazes me is that all these media outlets are pretty much in agreement, they all have Foles in that 20-25 range.

This is no garden variety media ranking. ESPN's Sando polled 35 NFL Coaches, Personnel evaluators and Front office guys. These rankings have a little more credence in my eyes than all other "just pulled of my hat" rankings media is spitting out there.

In that respect, I am worried that a lot of folks don't see Foles as a long term credible starter

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've got a question @RamBill and I'm going to ask you in public because it concerns all of us who get to read your posts.

How do you feel about getting likes when you post an article? I'm hit or miss (even though you deserve one for every post) in giving you likes and I don't often see multiple likes on your posts but I know for a fact that you are a huge part of why this is the best Rams forum on the planet. Having said that, I was thinking about what happens every time you come to the site. Even with the fact that not many give you a like on each posts, you're so prolific that it must take you a long time to clear each one and you're already so busy finding and posting articles for ROD and other forums you must be pressed for time. Even if you have no life like me. :LOL:

What would you prefer?

Alan:
First, thanks for the kind words....Likes or no likes is fine with me....To be honest, I don't really pay attention to them. I never took the time to understand even how the system works. So I appreciate you asking and your past and future likes, but it doesn't have much affect on me. Everybody should feel free to like or not like to whatever degree they want. My mission remains the same. (y)

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
This is no garden variety media ranking. ESPN's Sando polled 35 NFL Coaches, Personnel evaluators and Front office guys. These rankings have a little more credence in my eyes than all other "just pulled of my hat" rankings media is spitting out there.

In that respect, I am worried that a lot of folks don't see Foles as a long term credible starter

It's pretty much where I'd have him also tbh.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I wonder what these media outlets would have ranked Kurt Warner just prior to Trent Green's injury?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I wonder what these media outlets would have ranked Kurt Warner just prior to Trent Green's injury?

A fairer question would surely be "where would Warner be ranked at the end of the 2000 season?" when he had a similar number of pass attempt in the NFL as Foles currently does?

RamBill

Legend
Mike Sando Talks QB Rankings Including Foles/Bradford
Mike Sando joined Kevin Wheeler to talk about his latest QB rankings, why Russell Wilson is underrated by some, Tony Romo and some other high profile names, where the Rams former QB Bradford falls and current QB Nick Foles and what he thinks of the move to get Foles in St. Louis.

Listen to Sando Talk QB's

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Well I don't think he is anyone's first choice is he? I don't see him as someone that you don't want your team trying to upgrade over.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Foles doesn’t have to be a top tier quarterback for the Rams to be in better shape than the past few years. ESPN’s Mike Sando tells Kevin Wheeler why.

Listen to Sando Talk Foles

FrankenRam

Starter

Agreed. It is a bit worrisome. But I also think it's largely because, at least statistically, he's had 2 pretty diverse seasons. One really nice one, and 1/2 of another that's pretty much so-so. I don't know that anyone 'knows' exactly what to make of him at this point.